Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » What music do you listen to when you write?

Author Topic: What music do you listen to when you write?
billawaboy
Member # 8182

- posted      Profile for billawaboy   Email billawaboy         Edit/Delete Post 
Me? Led Zeppelin for fantasy, a small collection of hardrock and heavy metal new age and grunge for darker stuff, or oldies (beatles, elvis, upto 70's) for more balanced normal sounding prose. overproduced Pop or techno or experimental for something futuristic. Classical kinda leaves me numb (except for beethoven) - maybe nonfiction. Don't really have anything for humor...something catchy yet forgettable, something you can tap your foot to.

Sometimes I mix it up.

Can't say I really listen to big band or jazz or rap or soul or rnb...

You?

Posts: 342 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, a lot of the time, I have the TV in the next room going...usually to news, occasionally to something else.

As for music...well, since I got my iPod Classic I generally hit the random setting and let 'er rip as long as possible...I've got 3674 songs on it, and I'm only twenty songs from the end of a complete play-through. (I'd planned on announcing it in Random Musings.)

The last ten songs it played:

"Sorry (I Ran All the Way Home)," the Impalas
"Back Stabbers," the O'Jays
"Listen to What the Man Said," Paul McCartney and Wings
"I Dig Love," George Harrison
"Everybody Loves to Cha Cha Cha," Sam Cooke
"Wasn't That a Time," the Weavers
"Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show," Neil Diamond
"Take Your Time," Buddy Holly
"Love Letters in the Sand," Mac Wiseman
"The Patriot Game," the Kingston Trio

Probably not a representational sampling of my tastes in music, though...where's the classical, the country, the jazz?

(I've got a hundred plus songs in iTunes waiting to go...I was gonna update once the run finished.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I steal songs from videogames, in the old cd days I could sometimes stick the game cd in a player and hears their playlist. I prefer the wordlessness. Unless I'm writing a essay then it's They Might Be Giants and No Doubt, I've tried the Beatles but I end up paying too much attention to the music and forget to write.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually switch between alternative/rock and classical, though I lean toward classical. The classical provides a better background that doesn't intrude as much as the alternative/rock does.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jayazman
Member # 2818

- posted      Profile for jayazman   Email jayazman         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL, Robert. I didn't recognize any of those songs, and only a few of the artists.
Posts: 212 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm editing at the moment, so I don't mind a bit of noise: I'm listening to Duck Toy by Hampenberg. What can I say, I have weird tastes. I blame a visit to the Netherlands.
Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I didn't recognize any of those songs, and only a few of the artists.

Really? Only one was what you call a "one-hit wonder," with most having a lot of hits, in the USA at least...the time frame ranges from the early fifties to the mid-seventies...I guess you had to be there.

...and it kinda reflects my long-standing and intense interest in music. I think, if certain things had broken right and I hadn't fallen into this SF-writing trap, I might've pursued music as a career.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Jay, I'd bet that if you heard them you'd recognize them.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.