Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » kids getting sick

Author Topic: kids getting sick
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
My kids have been sick so much this year it is crazy.

I am a SAHM and have gone out of my way to avoid getting my kids sick. In fact, my first child was over two before she ever got more than a little cold. But I was always told that the first year they start school they get sick a lot.

Well, my oldest child started preschool this year and seems to be almost constantly sick. Last month she had a cold which turned into an ear infection, and before she finished her antibiotics, she got a stomach flu that lasted nearly a week. And less than a month later she has a cough and a fever which I am sure her little sister will get it in a day or two like she always does.

I am so tired of having sick kids. Anyone who is a parent of older children, did you go through something like this when your kids started school? Please tell me next year will be better.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to think that parents that have the cleanest houses tended to have the sickest kids. So the fact that my kids were barely ever sick was a reflection and an excuse for my sometimes not spotless house.

I would attribute that idea to the many times they've eaten cheerios off a floor that hasn't been clean for who knows how long, or stuck you don't even want to know what in their mouths. I would think they were just building up their immune system.

But then I started working out at a gym and enrolled my children in their children's class for an hour a day for about a month, and went to the doctor five times for two children in thirty days. It was obnoxious, I got sick, my husband got sick, we were all miserable, all because I decided I wanted to be healthy.

I started going to the gym at 5:30 in the morning, and won't let my kids back into that dern room.

So here are what I see as your options.

1)Take your kid out of the preschool. It might not be a clean one.

2)Home school.

3)Suffer through the first year or so it takes for them to build up their immunity, and hope for the best.

and 4)Try your best to enjoy the extra time you get to spend with them, because soon they will be teenagers and won't want cuddle on the couch with a big bowl of ice cream.

Hope they feel better soon,
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, kids are germ magnets, but they do develop immunities.

Washing hands and not sharing personal items can help, but it's hard to teach children stuff like that, especially when you want them to learn to share (some things).

A smaller preschool or one that isn't also a daycare (so that the parents have more flexibility in keeping sick kids home) could also help.

Best wishes on this. It isn't always like that, but there are times (feast and famine kind of thing).

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
LOL Shimiqua. I love your dirty house and healthy kids hypothesis. That will help alleviate the guilt for not keeping the cleanest house on the street.

The preschool is small and clean and does not double as a daycare. But kids just don't know how to keep their germs to themselves, and my kids are as bad as any others.

We only have one more month of preschool before summer starts. I am just worried that next year when she starts kindergarten that it will be as bad as this year was.

And I won't be homeschooling unless I feel it is absolutely necessary. I have nothing against homeschooling. I am really impressed with mothers and fathers who do it well, but it is just too much work for me. I'd never finish my blockbuster novels.

So I guess it is ice cream and cuddle time.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
No kids myself, but a couple of thoughts on health and sickness...

(1) It's important that kids get all their immunization shots...there's a certain amount of neglect in having kids immunized, what with the diseases dying out but the memory of how painful the shots were living on...

(2) You might be leery of overusing antibiotics, too...you might give a kid a powerful antibiotic for something minor and find you can't treat something major 'cause the kid has an immunity to that particular antibiotic. (This came up during the anthrax scare of 2001 / 2002...you give a postal worker the top antibiotic because he might have been exposed to anthrax, then down the road a couple of months he gets a urinary tract infection and is in real trobule.)

(So immunity's a good thing in one direction, and a bad thing in another...)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

- posted      Profile for TamesonYip   Email TamesonYip         Edit/Delete Post 
My preschooler missed the last day of school because of a fever. Fever is gone and now she is miserable- the coughing, head cold stuff got much worse once the fever was gone. Of course, she gave it to me. I am so sick of blowing my nose.

Just the perfectionist in me- people don't develop an immunity to antibiotics. The bacteria develop it. Common sources are things like plasmids which contain the genes to break down the antibiotic or mutations in the bacteria's genome that make it immune (like the antibiotic's target is changed so it can't bind to where it needs to). The more antibiotics are out there, the more likely the bacteria is to be exposed to it and have to either mutate or die. If the adaptation is picking up a plasmid, that can often be passed to other bacteria it encounters. The person with the antibiotic resistant bacteria may never have taken the antibiotic before. The big example and fear story is vancomycin. People only get vancomycin when all else has failed, yet vancomycin resistant bacteria (like staph) is something anyone can get, usually in the hospital. When they treated people with vancomycin and discovered it didn't kill the bacteria, there were a lot of "oh craps" because that drug is so limited in distribution. An antibiotic that has been out there for a long time (like penicillin) is mostly useless at this point in time because just about every bug out there has developed resistance to it. Well, it still works great on syphilis, but syphilis is a special case because it just doesn't develop resistance to antibiotics at all. I got my master's in looking at an alternative source of antibiotics (phage) so I sometimes ramble on about this stuff.

Posts: 232 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
The kid, the bacteria...give the kid the antibiotic, and it doesn't work, and it's not the bacteria who are deathly ill...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Semantics. The more a body uses a drug the better it gets at metabolizing it, and thus the quicker it burns through it. I don't think it's inappropriate to use the word immunity to describe this situation.

It reminds me of an article I read about allergies, it said that food allergies aren't actually allergies because it's not the same situation as pollen or other respiratory allergies. Which is true, it explained how it was to totally different thing physiologically, but it didn't change the fact that when I eat shrimp I feel like crap.

There is also the idea that giving the kid too much Anti-biotics makes the body less likely to create it's own anti-bodies.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

- posted      Profile for TamesonYip   Email TamesonYip         Edit/Delete Post 
But the fact that you are training the bacteria to be immune (an immunity it can pass along) makes it much more dangerous than if you were just affecting the person taking the bacteria. When you abuse antibiotics, you are not only risking your own health, but that of everyone around you.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Good point.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.