Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » RITE GENs: cool real tech

Author Topic: RITE GENs: cool real tech
billawaboy
Member # 8182

- posted      Profile for billawaboy   Email billawaboy         Edit/Delete Post 
I found this and thought it was cool - so wanted to share:

RITE GENs: Radioactive Isotope Thermoelectric Generators are a clever way of generating energy by using the heat generated by radioactive material (e.g. plutonium) coupled to a thermoelectric material which generates a current when heated - i.e. we have a long term low power battery!

What is also interesting is where they are useful. They are used as power sources in satellites, space probes and unmanned remote facilities, such as a series of lighthouses built by the former Soviet Union inside the Arctic Circle. They are usually the most desirable power source for unmanned or unmaintained situations needing a few hundred watts or less of power for durations too long for other power sources.

What I found very interesting is such a device is actually buried at the bottom of the pacific ocean from the failed Apollo 13 mission!!!

I can just imagine a story where an evil mastermind bent on world domination aims to collect all these forgotten RTG relics made decades ago...

Anyways, food for a variety of stories, I bet...

[This message has been edited by billawaboy (edited June 08, 2010).]

Posts: 342 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course if you cracked one open by accident, you'd die...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MikeL
Member # 9138

- posted      Profile for MikeL   Email MikeL         Edit/Delete Post 
That is if you are not wearing proper gear...

I have heard that these devices could power electric cars for many, many, many, years. They are very tough and are built withstand very high impact forces. Forces that would 'liquify' the human body.

These "low" power batteries are outlawed to keep competition up. Hmmm... Also, this tecnology is nearly 100 years old. Just think what a little research into thermocouple alloys could do. Especially, chip form.

But alas, those who "know" better decided that the world is better off not using this technology except in space. Go figure...

Posts: 154 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure you can find a You-Tube video on how to make one at home.
Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.