Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Hummingbird Rescue

Author Topic: Hummingbird Rescue
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
The excitement for the holiday weekend around here was supplied by the Allen's hummingbirds.

On Sunday (the fourth), I was just sitting down to a late lunch when Furby started crying at the back door. Furby is my one cat who is allowed outside (usually just to use the outdoor facilities, which she prefers, and come right back in). So, I got up to let her in. She had something small and slimy that she wanted to bring with her. Having had cats for a few years now, I'm wise to that. You don't bring anything but yourself back in this house.

So, I got Furby in and went to look at what she had. It was a baby hummingbird, barely fledged, and it was still breathing. Yikes! What now?

I knew my neighbor had recently rescued a hummingbird from one of their cats. Off I go to get the number for hummingbird rescue. Yes, there's a hummingbird rescue, at least here. I called, got directions, and took the baby straight down there. Fortunately, not too far away.

You would not believe this place. The kitchen counter (yes, it was in their home) is covered in little ventilated boxes for one or two baby hummingbirds each. There are a couple of aquarium-like aviaries for birds that are learning to feed themselves and exercise their wings. The kitchen table is covered in cat-carrier sized cages with perches for two fledged hummingbirds each, where they learn to perch all night before they can be moved to the next phase. The patio has been converted to a flight aviary where they go before they're released. Honest. This whole house, just about, is dedicated to hummingbirds.

My little fellow was the fifth she had taken in that day and the 322nd for the year.

After I got home, got a very late lunch and took a well-earned rest (this all happened after yard work, house cleaning, and Mom-care), I went out and looked for the nest. I found it out on the end of a branch of the Crepe Myrtle tree. It looks like the nest ripped open and dumped the babies out. Sadly, I found the second baby too late.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
That home sounds amazing, Meredith. Thanks for sharing.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
It is great that you were able to rescue one. I applaud your efforts.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
My lab, the one that almost took my finger several months back, caught a baby bluejay a couple of weeks ago. I tried to save it, but unfortunately without success - it died after about 4-5 hours. I used my son's hamster bottle to give it water, and I won't even go into the lengths I took to try and feed it (think Ace Ventura).

None of the veterinarians or our one wildlife organization are allowed to treat wild birds due to possible contamination from various diseases.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

- posted      Profile for TamesonYip   Email TamesonYip         Edit/Delete Post 
My miniature dachshund got two birds recently, killed neither. However, the whole potential disease thing freaked me out (pregnancy makes me more skittish over those things), so I just put them in the front yard where the dog couldn't get to and hoped for the best.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Had a baby catbird around the other day, flopping around in my front yard behind some bushes and up against the house. It had been kind of stormy right before and probably it blew out of the nest. The mother was around---I know the mother; she's followed me around for the past six years when I mow the lawn.

The next day, I saw the baby on the ground, then up on the wires. After that...well, the mother was around, following me when I cut the lawn this morning, but of the baby...no sign. (Sigh.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.