Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Given an option would you...?

Author Topic: Given an option would you...?
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I work in a small company, we have three picture framing stores in the LA area. We are signing up with a new bit of internet advertising on Yelp, and we have a choice to make. We can choose to have a slideshow running (silent) on our page as soon as someone clicks in, or we can have a video that they can opt to watch. It will not play unless they click on it.

So my question is this.

If you were looking at information on a listing for a company, would you opt to watch a video, knowing that it's going to be a commercial of sorts?

My contention is that most people wouldn't opt to watch any more advertising than the copious amounts that are already thrust upon us. But the guys that are doing the production (regardless of which option we take) swear their numbers show that the video works better.

What do you think?

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, in my experience as a user of the internet, the slideshow is probably going to slow down the loading of the entire site. At some point, I just click away and go somewhere else if things take too long to load.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Supposedly, neither will cause it to run slow. But I agree, if it takes too long, I don't wait around.

But Meredith, would you choose to watch the video?

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
It depends. I know that's a very unhelpful answer.

If it was something I really wanted to know more about, maybe. Otherwise, probably not.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously people do watch videos, there are so many of them even on ads.

Personally, I think it depends on how you display it. If it's a service I want and you have a nice set up with a short explanation which sounded like what I wanted, I would watch it. Say how long it is.

And even though it the slide show isn't suppose to slow things down, I think that depends on the user's computer, bandwidth, how busy the network is, how many pics, etc... I have found some slideshows load fast while others not so fast.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smiley
Member # 9379

- posted      Profile for Smiley   Email Smiley         Edit/Delete Post 
Either way, don't make them too long. I'd sit through a short one.
Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking a video wouldn't do any harm, and might do some good...so long as the bulk of the information can be "got" somewhere on site once the video is done.

My limited business experience is pre-computer, however. Online stuff is chiefly entertainment to me. I might watch an on-site video or link to---if the people are or the business is known to me. I'd be less likely to look at it if I were coming in completely cold, knowing no one, never having dealt with anyone.

If it played automatically, I might click off and exit before it went too far...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
What if you had the video, which they can opt to play, or not, along with another way (such as just reading) for them to get the information they want?

I'd recommend that you read something on making a website easy for visitors to find what they are looking for, such as

Don't Make Me Think: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability, 2nd Edition by Steve Krug (Aug 28, 2005),

or

Rocket Surgery Made Easy: The Do-It-Yourself Guide to Finding and Fixing Usability Problems by Steve Krug (Dec 18, 2009),

or

Letting Go of the Words: Writing Web Content that Works (Interactive Technologies) by Janice Redish (Jun 29, 2007).

See what other web geeks have to say about what works on a website.

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

This isn't actually on our website, it's on our Yelp page. If you're not familiar with Yelp, it's like a directory whose main point is to have users rate the various businesses listed. Registered users can post reviews and give ratings. It has all og the pertinent information of a directory page, with a link to our website, of course.

Our website is full of information. I'm really pretty proud of it as I provided the content, both written and photographic. We also had a great web designer come up with the layout. I think my profile has the link if anyone cares to look.

Okay, I just went to our Yelp listing. It seems they already set up a slide show using images from our website. Not ideal, as they include the gold frame around the images which is part of the web page graphics and not the framed art, but it gives an indication of how it might look. It was a static picture before, with an option to look at two others that I posted.

Here's the link, if anyone's curious:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/allan-jeffries-framing-los-angeles

It actually did load quite quickly for me.

I only know of one other Hatracker in this area so I'm not trying to sell anything. And Meredith, if you need anything framed, let me know and I'll set you up.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.