Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » The Misadventures of Arriki

Author Topic: The Misadventures of Arriki
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
For those who remember Danielle (arriki) you likely have found her a bit rough around the edges. She was what some considered harsh, opinionated and stubborn, but she had advice that was solid and thought out.

Well the 60 something resident of Austin Texas has run into some bad luck over the last year. Her husband lost his job a year ago. She took up a paper route to make up for lost income and have been forced to rent out part of her house as well. Added to her misery she suffered a small stroke in the summer.

We used to chat quite a bit but I haven't talked to her in awhile. Today she popped on and gave me her latest.

2 days before christmas she was riding her trike while walking her border collie. She never saw the car that hit her trike and sent her head first into the black top. A pair of joggers found her and helped her back on her trike. She never reported the incident and has had headaches ever since.

She can't focus to write and won't take steps to get her head check, promising 'I'll go see a doctor if it gets worse'.

This wily lady is stubborn with a capital S. She won't go to the police (what's the point? Only my dog saw it and I can't indentify the car that hit me), won't seek government help (doesn't trust it), and refuses to apply for social security (I won't get much. I want to wait so I'll get more later).

I don't know what to do about this woman. I have half a mind to report the incident myself but what can a person 2000 miles away and a month from the accident going to say?

She is so frustrating. I wish I could do more and wish she would do more for herself.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel for you. Just reading the story makes me feel like doing something but at the same time you can't help people who refuse it. That is an ongoing frustration with people of all types. My wife has worked with people like that.

Only thing to do is pray, maybe Somebody else can chip away at their stubbiness.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry to hear that about arriki. Does she have any children or grandchildren living in the area? Contacting one of them would be my only suggestion. There are other means, but they would probably cause hard feelings and aren't guaranteed to be successful.

I wonder if sometimes people leave Hatrack due to hardship or even death and we never know. If you talk to her some more, tell her those of us who are still here are thinking about her and hoping she seeks help.

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited February 04, 2011).]

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Convey my sympathies, if you can, and please tell her to report the accident, if she hasn't. If a guy gets away with running somebody down he might just run somebody else down someday...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always valued Arriki's posts. Reporting it could do some good, perhaps someone in a house around saw something, or a shop recorded some damage.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
That's sad to hear.

Sounds like she had a concussion. Most closed head injuries are at highest risk in the first 48 hrs.

I had a bad concussion over ten months ago and still haven't fully recovered (nearly though). They can take a really long time to heal. My problems weren't headaches. I couldn't see straight for weeks and had a general fogginess and neurological issues.

I can't imagine what people go through with blindness or dimentia.

Hang in there! It only gets better with time!

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.