Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Help!

Author Topic: Help!
OlsenOlsen
Member # 8198

- posted      Profile for OlsenOlsen   Email OlsenOlsen         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always been a pretty well rounded individual when it comes to different subjects in school. I'm a freshman in college, and am a Business Major. I fit well with business, definitely, but my true passion is English and writing in particular.

Do people here recommend double majoring in English and Business? Has anyone here done that?

If so, what options do I have after all of my school (I know there are a lot), but maybe give me some specifics?

Posts: 52 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Kristine Kathryn Rusch and Dean Wesley Smith strongly recommend that writers at least understand business, and if possible, consider getting a degree in business, so you're on the right track there.

A double major in Business Management and Creative Writing would be a great basis for a writing career.

Go for it!

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
I may not have anything more than a high school diploma, but I've done a lot of researching on what comes after you finish that manuscript and want to publish it. From that point on it's all business including understanding contract negotiating, making sales and promoting, and making an impact with public appearances. All of these are business skills. And like Kathleen said, can only benefit you when making book sales.
GO FOR IT !

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
You can do what I did in college. Smoke pot and cut classes. That way when you get a mind-numbing and thankless job, you can fill in your time dreaming up outstanding stories to keep yourself from going insane.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EP Kaplan
Member # 5688

- posted      Profile for EP Kaplan   Email EP Kaplan         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno, Snapper. You seem to have more than the average number of posts to the gist of "ABC published in XYZ market."
Posts: 180 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I really didn't do that in college. I'm only trying to motivate our young friend
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smiley
Member # 9379

- posted      Profile for Smiley   Email Smiley         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You can do what I did in college. Smoke pot and cut classes.

LOL really. I'm not sure if that's the proper motivation. Unless you're trying a scare tactic.

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post 
Advice... Hmmm... Live passionately!

Whatever it is that inspires passion in you, do that.

Some of the best advice that I ever heard was to not ask what the world needs, ask what makes you come alive, because what the world needs is men who have come alive.

Okay, taking off my philosophical hat. A double major can be a difficult but admirable thing to accomplish. If you can pull it off, go for it. Don’t forget that you could do one or the other as a Minor instead. The best research is really to find someone who has the job or the kind of life that you want and ask how they got there. The more answers you get the better picture you’ll have of possible paths to where you want to be. Good luck!

Posts: 456 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.