Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Hatrackers in Japan

Author Topic: Hatrackers in Japan
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know the status of the Hatrackers who have been living in Japan? For example, has anyone heard from Lyrajean this week?
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrajean
Member # 7664

- posted      Profile for Lyrajean           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm here. Was on a plane to Kyoto when it happened, which was still pretty far south of the action. I was wondering about all the crowds of people standing in front of the shinkansen terminal staring at the TV, but didn't find out till Sat. afternoon what happened as I had one day to sightsee. I returned to my hotel to a dozen emails saying pretty much 'OMG, are u ok?' then I found out what happened up north.

Okinawa is also okay. We're about 600km from the action.

Damn sorry about Sendai though, it was my favorite area to visit, was planning on returning this summer -oh well. And matsushima, one of the 3 most scenic areas in Japan was hit pretty bad. I can't find out anything more besides a pic of the train in a tangled muddy heap.

Before I came, I requested a placement in Miyagi ken. This was the first time I was glad I didn't get it!

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
We can hope for the best but the news is quite grim.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad that you are okay Lyrajean.
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
It's interesting to think that before what has happened to Japan, the worst disaster in the news was the earthquake in New Zealand. I've heard that the city of Christchurch was so badly devastated that it may never exist as a city again.

The earthquake in Japan was devastating enough, but the tsunami is what has made it even more devastating.

While we're praying for Japan, we shouldn't forget New Zealand.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I was a little disappointed by the US coverage of the New Zealand quake...I thought it was an important story...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Lyrajean, it's good to see you on here.

When I saw the first reports of hundreds dead, I knew reporters were vastly underestimating the devastation a 9.0 earthquake would cause beside Japan. Fires and a tsunami were inevitable. The issues with nuclear power plants, however, are harder to understand. And the emotional effects on people...that goes beyond my imagination.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.