Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » 10 best Sci-Fi novels ever (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 10 best Sci-Fi novels ever
MattLeo
Member # 9331

- posted      Profile for MattLeo   Email MattLeo         Edit/Delete Post 
I've done some geocaching. GPS gets you within fifty feet or so of where the cache is, then you use your common sense. It's not quite like there's a flag sticking out of the ground. It's not that different from letterboxing, except instead of a hint you get an approximate coordinate.
Posts: 1459 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
geocaching, that's the word I was trying to think of.

Anyway, fifty feet seems pretty close. For geocaching and for most military applications.

Of course there would still be using your mind and prehaps some digging with geocaching but still you know it's very close.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
For practical purposes, within a hundred meters would be enough for nearly all normal purposes, like finding one's location on a map, or locating a downed aircraft.

I don't use GPS, 'cause I usually know where I am and where I'm going. (However, once the directions on MapQuest once directed me to the wrong exit on the interstate and then stranded me on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere.)

Meant to comment on the "faster than light" particles issue...probably it's observation error...it would be awesome if it could be duplicated, but probably it's error...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
What does this have to do with the "10 best Sci-Fi novels ever" topic?

This stuff (especially the precision vs accuracy part) belongs in the Random topic, ya think?

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited September 26, 2011).]

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it is random...

I suppose the "ten best" theme kinda ran its course...most everyone who had a thought on it put their two cents in, and the discussion turned towards other things suggested by our commentary.

(Also the site---no, not the site, just the boards, the rest of the site seemed to be up---the boards were down for a while...I'm pretty sure I would've commented on the "faster than light" experiments somewhere in the middle of that, too...but the whole thing threw us off our strides.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, I don't know what that was all about. (Never heard anything from any of The Powers That Be about it.) I'm just glad it's all back.

If it really is all back. (Cue TWILIGHT ZONE music.)

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
You know Kathleen that if the boards came back from an Alternate Universe we may never know if they really are ours or someone else's with some small detail that is different. Or even a major detail like one of us is now missing.
Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
I've just been checking the names of the people that are now registered on this site. I have found a few discrepancies. There are a few people that should be in most peoples memory, but I never knew they weren't until I looked at the backup. I can't remember any of them - can you? The people that are no longer registered in memory include

[This message has been edited by Powers That Should Be Feared (edited September 26, 2011).]

Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
^ T-heehee.

Going back a page, now. KayTi commented on the absence of female writers in the Best Of Science Fiction list. Earlier this year, I tried to compile a list of influential sci-fi novels that were written by women, and I realized that it's much easier to create a genderless or male-only list.

I would like to see a woman-only list, though. Help me out? What would you say are the top 10 sci-fi novels written by a woman?

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

On female writers...it's hard to think of a single SF / fantasy novel among the many, but I'll throw out the names of Leigh Brackett, Marion Zimmer Bradley, C. L. Moore, Ursula K. Le Guin, Margaret St. Clair, Vonda McIntyre, "James Tiptree, Jr.", and Tanith Lee. For some of them, their strength was in shorter works, though. (There are a couple of female SF / fantasy writers I don't like and don't name, but if somebody else throws one out I might make comment on it.)
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Andre Norton probably got more kids to read science fiction (during a certain time period) than any other writer, male or female. She certainly did it for me.

I'd also add C J Cherryh and Lois McMaster Bujold to Robert's suggestions. But these are lists of authors, not of single books.

Some might add Anne McCaffrey, but then we'd get into a discussion of whether or not what she's most famous for counts as science fiction or science fantasy.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.