Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Space ball drops in Nambia

Author Topic: Space ball drops in Nambia
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
http://news.yahoo.com/space-ball-drops-namibia-133326985.html

What do you think? Any theories of what it could be?

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treamayne
Member # 9700

- posted      Profile for Treamayne           Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like an Alien Sociological experiment to test human reaction to the unexpected. They are hollow now, but future ones....?
Posts: 61 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
So that's where it landed. I'll have to tic it four more degrees next time.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read that story but a couple of weeks ago a piece of man made metal pipe dropped through a company's roof. Four inches long or so and it looked broken. It must have happened at night since no one was around when it happened.

This one looks sort of like something that goes in a toilet.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's debris that fell from orbit. There is so much junk floating out there from the 50 years of space exploration it's amazing this doesn't happen more often.

[ December 24, 2011, 05:56 AM: Message edited by: MartinV ]

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a ballcock.
Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, I wondered where that Coke bottle went when that bushman threw it off the end of the world.
Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
The mini-blackout of the boards prevented me from posting a link to this story earlier:

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/12/23/mysterious-space-ball-crashes-in-namibia/

...where it's explained that it's likely a COPV, a Composite Overwrapped Pressure Vessel, something used to store gasses under pressure in space---or, in other words, space junk.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
That's what they'd like you to believe. It's really a Fetzer valve off a passing Aurellian craft. They throw those overboard all the time.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Yeah, I wouldn't want to keep a bad Fetzer valve either. You never know when one will spray something nasty or just take to floating around.
Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hmm, I hope I'm not the only one who thinks this would make a great story premise.
anarresti
Member # 9614

- posted      Profile for anarresti   Email anarresti         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a container for liquified gas but I prefer to think it was once a prison for the mother of the MALEVOLENT GASEOUS ENTITY of Tycho IV.
Posts: 109 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.