Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » 8 Reasons Young Americans Don't Fight Back: How the US Crushed Youth Resistance

Author Topic: 8 Reasons Young Americans Don't Fight Back: How the US Crushed Youth Resistance
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
Thought I should share this.

http://www.alternet.org/story/151850/8_reasons_young_americans_don%27t_fight_back_--_how_the_us_crushed_youth_resistance?page=entire

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
The guy must know a different bunch of Americans than I know...besides, you never get more than ten percent of any group in America, young or old, ethnically-defined, and so on, to join in protesting anything.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
Gallop polls have been proven wrong time and again. I agree with Robert on this one. Also, not all that's said in this article is bad... only if you're a liberal. The whole article is slanted with conclusions very one-sided. It doesn't come close to showing the whole picture... just the liberal view of what's happening to America's young people. The whole thing is extremely biased.
Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LeetahWest
Member # 9402

- posted      Profile for LeetahWest   Email LeetahWest         Edit/Delete Post 
HAHAHA I'm sorry, but I have to put my two cents in on this topic, because the first poll mentioned, I happened to have participated in. They said:

"A 2010 Gallup poll asked Americans “Do you think the Social Security system will be able to pay you a benefit when you retire?” Among 18- to 34-years-olds, 76 percent of them said no. Yet despite their lack of confidence in the availability of Social Security for them, few have demanded it be shored up by more fairly payroll-taxing the wealthy; most appear resigned to having more money deducted from their paychecks for Social Security, even though they don’t believe it will be around to benefit them. "

When in reality, MY reasoning behind not doing anything about it is because, MY FINANCES are MY PROBLEM, not the governments. And this is where the bias begins, and where my reading stops. Sorry, I don't mean to egg-on a political discussion, just point out that what they think isn't the truth to anybody except them.

Posts: 108 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry about me. I just got this link from a friend on Facebook and post it up here for the sake of story ideas. I actually got a whole lot of ideas about a cyber-punk story but they didn't stuck hard enough to grow.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redux
Member # 9277

- posted      Profile for redux   Email redux         Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the "youth of today" - overheard at the university close to where I live:

"I would rather be dead than old."

So maybe that's why they don't care about Social Security? [Smile]

Or it might also explain their "Logan's Run" sense of fashion - the pervasive tunics and leggings. All that's missing is the crystal in their palm to let them know their time is up.

Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't had much confidence in Social Security being there for me since I started paying into it in the late 1970s.

I'd go on a lengthy rant about its existence and creation, its failings and shortcomings, its pecularities and oddities, and the many attempts to "fix" it---but this would veer dangerously close to the "political discussions" we're not suppose to have on these boards.

So I'll stick with the first paragraph, a personal view, unless I think of something else.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treamayne
Member # 9700

- posted      Profile for Treamayne           Edit/Delete Post 
Ignoring the political side of things, I thought I'd mention I did a paper once in college on how Asimov's Foundation showed (intentionally or not) that political fixes to social problem will eventially escalate into future social problems themselves. For my paper I compared:

1) The use of Scientism as a solution to the initial problems in the Encyclopedists and how that "solution" became it's own set of problems that resolved by switching to a Merchant Trader system.

to

2) The Social Security System as part of the solution to Great Depression era problems. And how that "solution" is rapidly becoming one of our nations great problems.

Anyway, just thought I'd share in case anyone else was interested in the paralleles there.

Posts: 61 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Treamayne:
Ignoring the political side of things, I thought I'd mention I did a paper once in college on how Asimov's Foundation showed (intentionally or not) that political fixes to social problem will eventially escalate into future social problems themselves. For my paper I compared:

1) The use of Scientism as a solution to the initial problems in the Encyclopedists and how that "solution" became it's own set of problems that resolved by switching to a Merchant Trader system.

to

2) The Social Security System as part of the solution to Great Depression era problems. And how that "solution" is rapidly becoming one of our nations great problems.

Anyway, just thought I'd share in case anyone else was interested in the paralleles there.

Social Security would work if the fund had been used for what it was intended instead of for other purposes. It would also still be there if the ones in control of the funds were on Social Security like the rest of us. I can just about guarantee if that was the case, Social Security would be alive and well.
Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.