Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Star Wars!??

Author Topic: Star Wars!??
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
You probably have heard this already but Three more episodes???

DisneyStarwars

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcmann
Member # 9757

- posted      Profile for rcmann   Email rcmann         Edit/Delete Post 
More than 3.

quote:

The seventh movie, with a working title of "Episode 7," is set for release in 2015. Episodes 8 and 9 will follow. The trilogy will continue the story of Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and Princess Leia beyond "Return of the Jedi," the third film released and the sixth in the saga. After that, Disney plans a new "Star Wars" movie every two or three years. Lucas will serve as creative consultant in the new movies.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/10/30/disney-buying-tar-wars-maker-lucasfilm-for-405b/#ixzz2Aqq1HfQH

Sad, ain't it?

Posts: 884 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I was amused by the pricetag---$4.05 billion, four-point-oh-five billion. I wonder what the extra point-oh-five billion was for?
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
The .05 is for Jar Jar.

Frankly I think this is better than Lucas continuing to edit his originals into oblivion.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyre Dynasty:
Frankly I think this is better than Lucas continuing to edit his originals into oblivion.

True, though Disney can be a bit... well, Disney.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lizluka
Member # 9916

- posted      Profile for lizluka   Email lizluka         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody know if the new movies will follow the story lines set out in the book franchise?
Posts: 81 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a link to a news story with some Twitter mashups:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/10/30/twitter-abuzz-with-disney-lucas-mashups/

And another about what some fans think:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/10/31/ive-got-bad-feeling-about-this-tar-wars-fans-freak-out-over-walt-disney/

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no problem with Disney buying it. They have done well with Marvel and Pixar. I don't see any reason why they would ruin LucasFilms.

I do think it was smart of Lucas to pass the torch on while he was still able to do so. The man won't live forever.

I think people forget how much Disney owns and we never even notice the "Disney" in those movies.

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
The movies will not follow the books.

http://entertainment.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/01/14855446-report-star-wars-7-wont-be-based-on-the-books

At least the next three were laid out by Lucas and he has a hands off policy on the expanded universe.

Apparently I really need to read the Thrawn trilogy, from the buzz.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wise
Member # 9779

- posted      Profile for wise   Email wise         Edit/Delete Post 
Now if Disney will at least fill in any holes in the script and hire a good director. You're our last hope, Obi-Wan Disney...
Posts: 95 | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

I haven't read any Star Wars books. Are they better than the movies? [Wink]
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Could be worse. If they've bought all of Lucasfilms...could Star Wars XXX: The Wrath of Howard the Duck be coming to a theater near you?
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I found out this morning why Lucas is selling Lucasfilms right here right now. The capital gains tax rate goes up next year, from fifteen percent to twenty percent---and the five percent difference of four point oh-five billion is fairly hefty.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Wow, the Thrawn trilogy was way back when. Don't remember much except who Thrawn was.

And Martin, a couple top writers wrote some of the books. I stopped reading them when they started doing strange things with the children. About the same time that Alien race that didn't like Tech and grew everything was conquering everything.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Y'know...Star Wars is the only move I've ever seen three times in theaters (twice in the original run, once in rerelease)...but I've never read a Star Wars novel. I guess I'm just a Trekker at heart...
MattLeo
Member # 9331

- posted      Profile for MattLeo   Email MattLeo         Edit/Delete Post 
What's interesting is what they're getting for the $4.05 x 10^9. They get the future revenues from the existing movies and merchandising deals of course, but I've got to believe that most of the juice in that lemon has already been squeezed.

If that's true, that makes this the largest UN-real estate purchase in history. Disney's buying ownership rights to the Star Wars universe.

One thing that keeps coming up in spec fiction critiques is world building -- that delicate balance between creating a world readers want to be transported to, and keeping the story moving without bogging down in details. The original move (EP IV) is an example of how to do it right. Move the plot forward briskly and reveal tantalizing glimpses that leave the audience wanting more. It turned out this was more the product of economic constraints than craft; later movies were bogged down by inessential details like the politics of the Trade Federation. But those lesser movies didn't quash the appetite for stories told in this universe. That makes the universe a valuable property in the hands of a deft storyteller.

What Disney gets is an unreal property which the audience understands so stories don't have to go over all that stuff about what The Force is and so forth; yet the property spans an entire imaginary galaxy that can't possibly be exhausted. There's plenty room for a canny developer to expand. It's easy to write stories for the Star Wars universe, and there's a built-in market for such stories.

The only comparable universe I can think of is the Star Trek universe, which seemed tapped out but really only needed a fresh perspective. J. J. Abrams gave us a totally conventional Star Trek story, but with a fresh visual style, robust pacing and top notch screenwriting. It represented the Holy Grail of hit reproduction: the same thing, only different. That's the best case for the Disney Star Wars franchise: stories that generate the same emotional response as the original movie did when it first came out. The only way to do that is to give the audience the same thing, only different.

Posts: 1459 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hmm, someone at work didn't like it because he thought Mickey Mouse would show up with a light saber. I thought that would be cool now if it was Goofy or Donald that would be different for two different reasons. [Wink]

But someone on the radio wondered if that would make Princess Leia an official Disney Princess?

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Don't know about the background and continuity of Star Wars. (That of Star Trek did get hidebound and bogged down, but it took some forty years and a hell of a lot of TV episodes to do it.)

I can't vouch for Star Wars, but I've always heard that the books and such of Star Trek did not happen, they're not canonical, though a couple of details from them have made their way through to the series, like Sulu's first name. (Even most of the animated Star Trek series is excluded.)

Near as I can tell, Star Wars has the six movies (seen 'em), some TV movies, and The Clone Wars series. Anything else? And does it count?

MartinV
Member # 5512

They couldn't resist.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Actually there has been Disney/Lucas crossover merchandise for a long time. I actually think I have a Darth Goofy pin. Mickey is usually Luke with Minnie being Leia and Donald as Han.

MattLeo: It's not just the intellectual property they bought, it's the whole shebang which includes Skywalker Sound, one the most advanced recording studios in the world, and Industrial Light and Magic, which pretty much owns all the modern CG special effects. There's plenty of real estate there too.

Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
Anything that takes Lucas a step farther away from screwing up movies is a positive move in my book.

Speaking of books, by far my favorites in the Star Wars universe were the X-Wing series. Between the snubfigher combat, the characterization, and the infiltration and commando missions you couldn't ask for a cooler series.

Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I liked the X-wing series also.

In fact a rather long Star Wars fan fic story I wrote was inspired by them.

Very seriously I thought about filing off the numbers on that story and send it out but I can't find it. Most of been the only story I didn't have back up for even though there should have been at least two back ups for it.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyre Dynasty:
MattLeo: It's not just the intellectual property they bought, it's the whole shebang which includes Skywalker Sound, one the most advanced recording studios in the world, and Industrial Light and Magic, which pretty much owns all the modern CG special effects. There's plenty of real estate there too.

Did they buy Skywalker Ranch, too?
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

The Lucas / Disney story and debate has now reached the comic strips. This morning it appeared...

...here:

http://www.gocomics.com/brewsterrockit

...and here:

http://www.gocomics.com/heartofthecity/

Make of it what you will.

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

quote:
Originally posted by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury:
Did they buy Skywalker Ranch, too?

One would think, since I'm pretty sure it was owned by the company and not by Lucas privately.

Here's some more cartoons.

http://pvponline.com/comic/2012/11/12/far-beyond-the-stars

This one comes with a minor language advisory:

http://www.shortpacked.com/2012/comic/book-14/05-merger-and-restructuring/merger/

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.