Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Brand New baby Publishing Company

Author Topic: Brand New baby Publishing Company
Jennywinnie
Member # 8510

- posted      Profile for Jennywinnie   Email Jennywinnie         Edit/Delete Post 
So for about a year I've been working as a freelance editor. I edit novels for the growing number of people interested in self-publishing in Austin, Tx. It' super grueling work but I'm a poor college student Majoring in Creative Writing and I do it because I'd rather do it than be flipping burgers somewhere ;-) Well actually, okay, I LOVE it.

Anyway, I've learned so much about publishing, and editing, and cover art. I know many others doing the same sort of freelance work and we've sort of joined together to form a baby publishing company.

We are starting with anthology contests, but we'll be opening up to general submissions soon. I'm just training everyone up. It's Inkception Books.

I don't want to be like shamelessly promoting myself... but there are many good writers here... we'd love to see your stuff.

Posts: 70 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Jennywinnie, would you like me to move this to the Markets for your Writing area? It's appropriate.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
First impressions:

The list in the picture on your main page is hard to read. White on a white background. The little "book worm" text at the bottom is too small. That piece may be fine in person but as the face of your company it says to me that you see book titles as transparent. I don't want my book titles to be invisible, I want them to be billboards.

Your "About Us" page could use a few more run throughs for professionalism. I understand wanting a relaxed tone, but I don't think that is the place for much of it. That is what the blog is for. Also crossing out the word "legal" makes me hesitant to sign any kind of contract with you.

Your submission page should talk specifically about rights and payment. "Winners, and some others (enough to create an anthology of 40,000 words), will receive payment REAL money for their contribution." When you feel you have to say "REAL money" that scares me. Is there any thought of paying fake money? And is that $200 divided between everyone in the anthology or $200 a piece. Does the use of the word "some" mean that I could conceivably have a piece in the antho that I'm not paid for? (Also if possible try to get a copy/paste submission box setup, asking for attachments is asking for viruses. It will also help you get vanilla text easier.) Also also(I know I use that word too much, I'm trying to quit.), at this stage I'd cut the word query from those lines. A query is asking permission to submit, you have already granted it. I think cover page is more what you are looking for.

Your habit of putting the $ after the number 70$ instead of $70 makes me wonder what manual of style you are working from. I'm not familiar with that convention and it hurts my brain. I read it all as 70¢, which is a rockin' deal for 10k words of copy editing.

My advice on the "Editing Team" page is make it a list with links to each person's bio page. (Which they should make themselves, think of these as your resumes.)

I feel the need to talk about the pictures on yours site. I hope you have the right to use these pictures. I fear you just farmed them off flickr without considering the owners/creators. I say this because I found one by Mike Baird who allows use of his images as long as they link back to the exact image on flickr. You did not do this. This can get you in serious trouble, especially where it comes to a business endeavor. It also makes me wonder about your respect for copyright. As sellers of intellectual property, copyright is kind of important to writers.

All in all . . . good luck. Take the time to look at other publishing sites, particularly the successful ones. Think about hiring a web developer.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.