Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Character Interviews » Warlin Menshar (a seeker of knowledge)

Author Topic: Warlin Menshar (a seeker of knowledge)
Collin
Member # 8522

- posted      Profile for Collin   Email Collin         Edit/Delete Post 
Warlin strokes his long, white beard one last time before he begins telling you about himself." I have trained for many years in the Temple Of the Riatin. We are seekers of knowledge. We often seek so hard that we lose track of the world's happenings, but not me. I've always been on top of the world's events and I say that all who don't are fools. The world's savior is coming soon. I'm not entirely sure what we'll need saving from at this point, but the prophesies are clear. And when this man appears I'll be there, right by his side to guide him in the way that he ought to go". He blinks, seeming surprised that he has said so much. "I grow tired of talking, ask questions if you must but make it quick. I hate interviews".
Posts: 90 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bandgeek9723
Member # 7886

- posted      Profile for bandgeek9723   Email bandgeek9723         Edit/Delete Post 
What is your favorite childhood memory?
Posts: 140 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Collin
Member # 8522

(He grunts very loudly)"My childhood seems like another life to me by now. I seldom tell strangers my age, and for good reason, mind, no questions! But I'll make an exception just this once. I will have lived for two hundred-thirty four years soon. You see, it is not only knowledge that The Riatin seek. I do, however, remember my parents being dragged off and burned on stakes in our village's main square. It was terrible men that did this. But that's a long story and it's done and over with. Ask the rest of your questions quickly, before I leave please. And that will be shortly."
Posts: 90 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bandgeek9723
Member # 7886

- posted      Profile for bandgeek9723   Email bandgeek9723         Edit/Delete Post 
That is an impressive age, how did you manage that?
Posts: 140 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Collin
Member # 8522

He sniffs proudly. "Many benefits come along with being able to wield the ancient power of our world. Not one of us Riatin has been accepted into the Temple without being able to wield it. We are superior to average humans. I sometimes wish that my life could be shorter, so that not everyone I knew who could not wield the ancient would not die centuries before me. The oldest of our number ever was 847 years of age."
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
Tell me, if you would, for I consider myself to be a seeker of knowledge as well. What knowledge do those of the Temple of the Riatin pursue that can prompt centuries of dedicated zeal? Surely the knowledge you seek can be nothing mundane, if only you among your brothers has any desire to know what is happening in the wider world.

So is it the arcane you delve into? Do you spend night after careful night in the mapping of the heavens? Or is it the deeper mysteries of the hidden mind that you seek to unlock?

I am eager to share your knowledge.

Nate

Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Collin
Member # 8522

"We seek to know much stranger. Our temple was first founded to grow more knowlegeable of the ancient power, but it has evolved much since then. I'm afraid that much of what we seek, and certainly what we discover, can only be shared with our initiates. I admire your love for knowledge without ever having visited our temple, but I am afraid that in order to become truly knowlegeable, one MUST enter the Temple of the Riatin"
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Warlin, Warlin. You sound as many I associate with, wise, learned, and old. I too shall be two hundred and thirty four soon. I only have to live another two hundred years or so.

You're words "We are superior to average humans" were very well said. Well said, ancient one. Do you see yourself so? Superior, mighty, perhaps evolution has made you this way. Perhaps your kind is the only kind who must survive. Breed a new race that is wiser, kinder, no evil men burning mothers.

This hero who comes, will he be average? Why should you help the average live, when God himself wants humanity destroyed? Would it not be God's will then to stay away from young farmer? Let him see if he could save the world on his own, or do you not have any faith in the prophesies?

Do you not wonder if your meddling shall interfere with this savior?

Perhaps all those in the world are fools, and only you yourself can save it?

Have you got a God complex or what? What made you know you were superior? Do you ever wonder if you're wrong? Do you ever hate yourself for being foolish, and wonder if you are not as brilliant as you want to believe?

I don't imagine you would have many friends with an attitude like that, which is fine, no one needs friends. Not really. Not when you have knowledge, and know where you stand.

And like you, I prefer to stand at the top. There's not much room there for friends. Or saviors.

[This message has been edited by shimiqua (edited April 07, 2009).]

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Collin
Member # 8522

I'll answer each question separately if that's ok.

1. "I say that we are superior to average humans simply because we ARE. It is a fact NOT an opinion. I learned long ago that opinions are worth far less than facts. As for breeding out all average humans, this is a foolish statement. We do not seek to destroy humanity as we know it, simply to understand it thoroughly. After all, we are not the only organized group that wields the ancient power."

2. "The Father of the Light, or "God" as you put it, does not wish for humanity to be destroyed. There are evil forces at work in the world just as much as good. These evil forces will no doubt be the instigator for man's attempted destruction. As for not trusting the prophesies, they say simply that a possible saviour will come NOT that he will conquer the darkness. How then do I make sure that this gets done? I will "guide" him in the right direction. And he will not be like the average man occording to the prophesies. He will be able to wield the ancient power and he will be the greatest ruler our world will ever know. He MUST have the knowledgeable's guidance."

3. If my "meddling" interferes with our saviour it will be for good NOT bad. I will make it be so."

4. I do not call all in the world fools, I simply say that they are inferior to the wielders of the ancient power, Riatin or not. And I WILL help save our world through guiding our saviour."

5. Yes, our Father IS extremely complex. As for knowing that I am superior, if you face me across from the King of all of our lands I could overpower him both physically - through usingour ancient power - and mentally. As for ever wondering if I'm a fool, after two hundred plus years no man is a fool, myself least among them."

6. "Friends. I had friends once, but they were not capable of extended life, they have all passed on through their old age. I have allies now, NOT friends, for losing an ally is much easier to bear than losing a friend. Don't you agree?"

7. "I do not stand at the very top of our ranks, although I deserve to and will soon, there are several that stand higher than I do. You're partially correct, no room for friends, but a lifetime for saviours."

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.