Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Character Interviews » Alena Harene anointed of the Light, and one of its dedicated followers.

Author Topic: Alena Harene anointed of the Light, and one of its dedicated followers.
Collin
Member # 8522

- posted      Profile for Collin   Email Collin         Edit/Delete Post 
"Well, there's not much to say about me really. I was just newly raised to the rank of "Child of the Light" in our magnificent temple. It is quiet exciting really. I'm the one of the youngest to ever be raised to this rank. I'm only just turning thirty-nine soon! Many in the Temple call me a "boyish" woman. This is not out of spite, it's simply who I am. I suppose that's partly because of my childhood; oh, my poor, poor mother. But that's in the past and I am who I am, Alena Hrene, Blessed in the Light and Keeper of the Peace. You may question me if you like. May the Father's blessings be with you!"
Posts: 90 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bandgeek9723
Member # 7886

- posted      Profile for bandgeek9723   Email bandgeek9723         Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly how long does your race live if being 39 allows you to have a title that includes the word "child?"
Posts: 140 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Collin
Member # 8522

(she chuckles softly) "I just knew that you would ask that. Well my "race" is entirely human, no diference, except that the Temple of the Light only accepts those that can wield the ancient power. With the ancient power comes an extended life. Although the rank of "Child of the Light" is the highest rank amongst us other than "Elder", the Elders are our leaders and there are only nine of them. We are no longer considered infants, new to the tower and in training, when we are raised to the rank of "Child". It means that we are children and followers of the Father of the Light, the Creator of our world and the keeper of peace, however, not that we are young. Did this stifle your curiousity?"
Posts: 90 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
Do your Children of the Light wear white cloaks? And does this ancient Power come from a True Source?

Forgive me, I seem to have heard these terms before, but I am quite certain I've never visited your world.

In any case I congratulate you on obtaining such a high rank within your order. If I may make so bold as to ask, my lady, what new duties come with such a rank? I suppose that like with any ranking office your opportunities to go out into the world will be more limited now. Or does your order allow your acolytes to go out and proclaim the good word?

Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah daughter. I welcome you.

Are their many woman in the children of the light?

And what happened to your dear broken mother?

If you had not joined what would your life be like, would you be three whelps deep by now?

Do you find joy within the order, or do you find darkness within its light Quarters?

Do the men treat you as an equal, as an object, or as a trophy.

Do you seek to hide your femininity from your male companions as a defense against their advances. Or would you welcome such advances. You are in fact thirty some odd years, you are true woman. Though perhaps not in your world.

Sweet daughter, move closer. I cannot see far, cannot see how you look. Do you have beauty on your face? Do you think you have beauty in your soul?

I love you daughter. Good luck to you on your quest.
~The advocate.

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Collin
Member # 8522

We are given white cloaks upon our acceptance as Children, but we do not usually wear them unless it is a formal occasion or we need to make it known what rank we have obtained in the temple. Cal'Aldazar, what many in my world simply call 'the ancient power', means 'that which combines us' in the language of the treefolk. It is everything yet nothing, powerful yet barely there, on the edge of existence. It is the air, the water, what fuels the fires, and it even reaches into the depths of the human mind. Few are born with the ability to bend it to their will. I am one of those few, and thus I came to our Temple. The whiterobes, or the dedicated preachers in our tower, are partly separate from the Temple. It is they that dedicate their lives to spreading the word of our Father's greatness. Upon obtaining the rank of "Child" I can now do as I please to benefit the Father. How I choose to do this is completely up to me. However, we do all have one task that we must accomplish. We must keep peace and order in our world.
Collin
Member # 8522

"I thank you for your welcome. As for women being amongst the Children it is actually fairly common. I'd say there's probably more men than women of course, yet a fair number of us are women." (she sighs heavily) "As for my mother.... I lived in a VERY rough city growing up - which I suppose contributed to my boyish personality - and my mother and I were going to the market square, when we were forced to take a back alley. I never even say the thieves coming. Neither did my mother obviously. I'm sorry if I cannot go into details, but the story saddens me greatly and I have never cried in public since then. Well, without the Temple I'd probably have used my talent of Cal'Aldazar to entertain and make money, I suppose. Life is hard to imagine life without the Temple. I have always been happy since I joined our Temple. I have made many friendships and many memories up to this point. There is NO darkness in the Temple of the LIGHT though stranger, and I think you had better hope none of the Elders heard that somehow. Both men and women are taught to control their emotions before they are raised to become a "Child". The men treat me as an equal, which is good for them, ever since the second day I was hear, still in my training, when I used CAL'Aldazr to pick up and hold a boy upside down. He should NOT have looked at me the way he did. Even in spite of the The discipline that I received from the Elders that day it was well worth it. If one of the Children attempted to amke an "advance" on me, no matter how unlikely that would be, I would knock him out with Cal'Aldazar or my fists either one, then pour vileroot, one of the most foul tasting things in our worla, down his throat. As for hiding my feminity, that is just who I am, as I mentioned earlier it comes from my childhood. I appreciate your blessings. Thank you."
bandgeek9723
Member # 7886

- posted      Profile for bandgeek9723   Email bandgeek9723         Edit/Delete Post 
But there must be darkness, for without it how may the light shine?
Posts: 140 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bandgeek9723
Member # 7886

As to my curiosity being stifled, that is quite impossible to do, for with each answer, more questions come to mind.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.