Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Character Interviews » The Scrapman/ Gabriel's Watch

Author Topic: The Scrapman/ Gabriel's Watch
Noah Fregger
Member # 9911

- posted      Profile for Noah Fregger   Email Noah Fregger         Edit/Delete Post 
The name is Miles,

My story begins in the shattered places you presently call home. My wife and daughter were but casualties during the war that claimed so many just ten years ago - two faceless numbers on that rising death toll. The guilt of those two deaths have followed me for all these years, driving me within a hole in the earth.

I fight for survival, but in a world i hardly recognize any longer; and it's a survival that's hardly my own. Humanity dwindles here in the balance, so fragile and futile it's hardly worth mentioning. I suppose it's mildly ironic that I don't even care about the well-being of my own species. If only you'd seen the things I have, been where i have been, you might not be so quick to raise an eyebrow.

Humorous to read these posts of science-fiction, back in a world where the "fiction" part still existed.

But no longer.

The internet is as still as an autumn lake, your voices just the silent stones that have fallen beneath its glassy surface - echoes of an era I once adored.

Hopelessly yours,

Miles

Posts: 23 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude! What do you hate so much about humanity?
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
C'mon...on the basis of what's said, he hardly has any reason to love humanity...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noah Fregger
Member # 9911

- posted      Profile for Noah Fregger   Email Noah Fregger         Edit/Delete Post 
I was hoping the two of you might have better questions for me, but i must agree with Robert on this one. There's really not much to love about humanity anymore, especially when I've witnessed something far better.

The forum is open yet again.

Posts: 23 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

Okay then, why do you wax so poetic in a normal conversation? "The shattered places you presently call home," "the silent stones that have fallen beneath its glassy surface." Most people don;t talk like that. Why do you?
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noah Fregger
Member # 9911

What a fantastic question! What I've written is a post-apocalyptic journal of sorts. It's all in first person. Ever read Odd Thomas?
I write this way because there's no other narrative for me to speak; and i don't want to rob the color from the story with mechanical jargon. That would not be fair to people who dub themselves: wetwilly.

Excellent question.

wetwilly
Member # 1818

Why are you writing this journal? You expect anybody to read it? Who? Why do you care if they read it?
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
So, Miles, you're writing a journal to amuse yourself---or is it to keep yourself sane while you go forward in the post-apocalyptic world?
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noah Fregger
Member # 9911

Ah ha! Now come the good questions!

There are other things i do here to keep myself sane. I'm a bit of a mechanic, so i like to tinker. But this journal I started, i know there will be at least one set of eyes to grace its pages, and it will be but a blessing should there be others.

One can only hope.

But as of now this journal is meant for her.

Shaygirl
Member # 9761

- posted      Profile for Shaygirl   Email Shaygirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Her...your wife? Who?

Also a mechanic, wouldn't you be having a little bit of inner-war/strife thing going since wouldn't science be partially responsible for your family's death?

And what's your favorite cheese? Or food in general.

Hey, it's an important question.

Posts: 83 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noah Fregger
Member # 9911

She's not my wife. My wife died ten years ago. I'd tell you who she is, but that would kinda ruin the ending...and it's a doozie.

There's enough inner-warfare for me to snack on for the rest of my life.

Speaking of "snacking", i guess i would have to say swiss or monterey jack...ah, i just gave away the ending, didn't I.

What about you?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.