Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Character Interviews » Manu, son of Micah

Author Topic: Manu, son of Micah
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
I am Manu. I am pleased to write to you, having been taught by the priests and in the grace of Thoth. I am not a priest, even though I can write. I am a Judge. I was chosen for testing because years ago, I broke my ankle during a walk in the desert and did not die. I crawled back to the city of Kahir instead. The next time a Judge died in battle, I and a few other boys were chosen for testing. When the testing was done, all of us were naked and bloody and exhausted, but only I still stood on my feet. That night, the Judges took me to the inner room of the Temple. I passed through the mystery of joining and spoke to Thoth face to face, and I was given black armor and a sword. The Judges--my brothers, now--tell me that we will leave soon, and go to the east, and purge the unrighteous.

My father is proud.

Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
You are a Judge, and not a Priest?
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
Correct. The priests gather the tithes of the people each fall, then oversee the loading of the offerings onto Thoth's chariot when it descends to perch on the peak of the Temple.

A Judge is Thoth's strong right hand. The unrighteous seek always to cross over into the Kehmet--to the land Thoth has given us. Our first task is to bring Thoth's judgment of death to those who seek to enter without leave. Without us, nothing would stop them from stealing the crops, or raiding the herds, or spreading vile lies about their pagan god.

Sometimes, one of the people of the Kehmet will offend Thoth by murdering a neighbor or by infidelity to a husband. Sometimes the offense will be even worse, such as having relations with one from the east or failing to satisfy a tithe. The Judges second task is to discern Thoth's judgment and bring it to those of the Kehmet who have offended him.

Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.