FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I Have Cancer- Time for massive surgery (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: I Have Cancer- Time for massive surgery
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
*gentle hugs and many thoughts of healing and wellness your way*
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
(((nfl))) Best wishes for a full recovery. Cancer is beatable. My mom beat it and my grandma beat it twice.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear round one is over. Remember we are all here upholding you!
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know if the first round has had any results? Is the tumour in retreat? Or do you have to wait for some tests to find this out?

At any rate, stand firm! You can win this.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad you're through the first round. Keep your courage up, and we'll keep praying for you.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if there have been any good results from the chemo. The good news is that being home definitely helps as for the first time in forever I've gone a whole day with out puking.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
*hug* Oh, hang in there.

My instinct to try to fix things goes all haywire in a thread like this when all I can do is sit here and HOPE with all my might, mind, and strength.

I'm still praying for you too. You're going to make it. [Group Hug]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay for being home! Yay for stopping puking!

Hope things continue to improve. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
accio
Member # 3040

- posted      Profile for accio   Email accio         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome home! ((nfl))
Posts: 333 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad you're at home.
Good luck, Shmuel, I'll pray for you. {{Shmuel}}

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
Keep up the good fight NFL.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Have some inspiring words :

quote:
I have, myself, full confidence that if all do their duty, if nothing is neglected, and if the best arrangements are made, as they are being made, we shall prove ourselves once again able to defend our Island home, to ride out the storm of war, and to outlive the menace of tyranny, if necessary for years, if necessary alone.

(...)

Even though large tracts of Europe and many old and famous States have fallen or may fall into the grip of the Gestapo and all the odious apparatus of Nazi rule, we shall not fail nor flag. We shall go on to the end.

We shall fight in France; we shall fight on the seas and oceans; we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air; we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender. And even if - which I do not for a moment believe - this Island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old."

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so sorry that you are going through this. I wish I had encouragement to offer - but I've never been enything like it. Just know we're all here pulling for you and supporting in the best way we can. [Smile]

*gentle hugs*

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have extremely intensive chemotherapy and eventual surgery ahead, but I'm determined to rid this cancer from my body.
You go get 'em, NFL!

(((((Newfoundlogic)))))

--Steve

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, I'm back in the hospital because I got a fever. I'm not actually feeling any worse, but I can't risk infection. Hopefully I'll be back out in a couple of days.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Go away, fever! Hugs and healing vibes to you.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone hear from nfl?
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
There's a post of his in here:
http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=033924;p=2 (the one before the last one) on April 20th.

Someone who knows him better than I could email him...

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Those are some good words KoM...

(((nfl)))

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
All of our love and support, NFL. Keep strong and remember when they ring the bell for the next round: come out fighting, champ!
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

Well I've completed four rounds of chemotherapy now which included a total of eight multi-day hospial visits, but now the tough stuff is about to begin. Puking and 104 degree fevers were nothing because now the four tumors lodged in various places in my abdomen have gotta go. Because this is really major surgery I'm heading up to Ney York's Sloan Kettering Cancer Center where there's actually a guy who performs more than one of these surgeries on this type of cancer a year. Every other surgeon in world may have performed a couple in their lifetime. So the good news is that I'm going to be receiving the best treatment world has to offer and apparently how the surgery goes seems to make the difference in this kind of cancer. The bad news is that while chemotherapy has successfully caused the tumors to shrink dramatically and two of them can be removed fairly easily the other two pose significant problems. One tumor is in my pelvis and while it can be removed easily enough my bladder might come with it. Another tumor is lodged in my bile ducts and while I'm worried about losing an organs, it will be the most difficult for the surgeons to actually deal with.

So in three days I leave for New York and another six after that I'll have the surgery. Then there's recovery and possibly a follow up surgery depending on whether or not they can get everything the first time around. When all of this is done there'll be more chemotherapy and then possibly radiation and/or stem cell transplant. I've gotten through a large part of the treatment, but there's still a long way to go.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*prayers* I'm glad you're getting first-rate treatment. I will continue to pray that this goes well for you.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second what ketchupqueen said about getting the best treatment possible, nfl. Good luck man. You know everyone here will be thinking of you, for what that's worth.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
We are all pulling for you NFL. You will annihilate your cancer as surely as we will destroy the Sith and XT in uni6. [Wink]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
That post had me wiping away tears. God Bless you and your courageous self. You are in my prayers. (((NFL)))
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
Hang in there. I'm rooting for you. Thanks for the updates.
Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

By the way, the reason why I haven't provided more frequent updates is that it was basically the same thing over and over again. Seventy-two hours of chemo, followed by four days at home, followed by four to seven days of neutropenic fever, followed by about week at home, followed by more chemotherapy. All of this with lots puking in between. Throw in some transfusions, x-rays, and CT scans (which is a most unpleasant experience when trying to swallow a liter of horrid tasting contrast fluid on a nauseated stomach) and there you have what I've been doing the past couple of months.
Desdemona
Member # 7100

- posted      Profile for Desdemona   Email Desdemona         Edit/Delete Post 
*big hug*

I'm speechless.

Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Prayers and good vibes headed your way.

Were you able to find out your mom's Hebrew name?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Please be well, my friend. I sincerely hope that everything is as quick and pain-free as possible and that you are back to your regular self in short order.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Thinking of you, nfl. *hugs and prayers*
Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so glad you're getting the best medicine will offer. And you have a great attitued. Keeping prayers coming.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
[Group Hug] Good luck! I hope everything goes perfectly.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
<prayers for nfl>

We are with you, nfl, you have all our support and well-wishes.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Hang in there, coach. Lotsa folk pullin' for you (myself included).
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
May the surgery go well! I'm sorry the past few months have been so awful. I hope you can look forward to leaving that behind.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Hang in there.
I know you don't like cards, but please let us know if you need any other help.
This is hard to share on a public forum, but when I was sick, in the darkest moments, I could feel people thinking about me, praying for me, and loving me. Whatever you want to call them, whether prayers, healing vibes, or good thoughts, they help.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Our prayers our with you, nfl.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
(((nfl)))
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
(((nfl))) God with you - prayers away.
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
((((nfl)))), that surgery sounds so horrible, as does the puking and fevers and all that. I'm so sorry you have to go through this. Let us know if there's anything you need. Books? Chocolates? Candies? Bollywood movies (pirated, of course!) Anything we can send you to help keep you occupied or your mind not on things tumour-related? Just say the word. . .
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
(((nfl))) I hope all goes well.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Beat the ever-living crap out of that cancer, man.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be praying for you. I hope everything goes well.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
nfl, you're always in my prayers. I'm so sorry you have to suffer, but I'm glad that you're responded to treatment and I'm thrilled you're heading to Sloan-Kettering. I know many people who have been cured there.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

- posted      Profile for alluvion   Email alluvion         Edit/Delete Post 
NFL, here's a thought for you.

-------------------------------

*pulls out magic wand*

Tumors Begone!

*waves wand back and forth with a swish and swoosh*

*inspects NFL's face for a smile - none readily detectable*

ok, then.

*pulls each and every one of NFL's tumors aside and gives each one a decidely caustic scolding*

To tumor #1, "Just what do you think you're getting on about here?"

Tumor #1, "Just following orders, sir. Them's that said it, said, 'GROW!', so I growed!"

"Just growing sir!" said Tumor #12.

"Same here!" quoted the rest of the tumors right on down the line.

*pause*

"Well, with all yer growing and heaving here and thereabout's in NFL's system, you do realize you've put the good body in a sorta state of crisis, you know?", said the Doc.

tumor #45, "We did?"

The Doc nods.

"Yes."

Tumor #119, "Whaaa?!"

*tumor #82 stops biting into NFL's bloodstream, for a moment*

-----------------------------------------

For fun. Keep those tumors harmless, nfl.

Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
alluvion made me grin. That is all.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
newfoundlogic, thanks for the update on your condition. I have been wondering how your treatment was going.
Good luck and prayers for your surgery!

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck and strength to you, nfl.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.