FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Papaya! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Papaya!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate it!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Good one, although I can't agree with the hating part. It's just so good.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
No, you are WRONG. It is NASTY. [Razz]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

Oh, it's on.

I'm sounding the call to arms. Papaya lovers around the world, hearken: a great evil has shown its face. Behold the Ketchup Queen, whose slanderous speech regarding the most perfect of perfect fruits resonates like Dashboard Confessional music through the otherwise peaceful equilibrium of our lives. Gather your loved ones and papayas and meet me in the chapel square, for we shall rain down delicious vengeance upon her!

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I will douse your papayas with my Ketchup of Righteousness! Beware, foul fruits!
tern
Member # 7429

- posted      Profile for tern   Email tern         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmmmm...the soap fruit. It's an acquired taste, but it's fine once you get used to it.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(Oh, and how can you call it perfect? Have you ever had a cherimoya? Sooo much better. And then there's the pluot. And the cantaloupe. And the mango. And...)
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

My dad's been trying to "get me used to it" since I was three. I hate it. Hate it with a passion that will not be quenched!
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I am partial to Star Fruit myself. I never was a big fan of Papaya though.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Papaya smells funny.
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Star fruit isn't bad. [Smile]

And yes. Papaya stinketh like the depths of Hell!

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
No such thing as a "papaya." It's called "frutabomba." Get it right.

-o-

Oh, and it's wonderful in shakes. If anybody doesn't believe me, I personally offer to make you a frutabomba shake when you come to Central Florida.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Kiwi has always been a favorite too. Or that one melon. I can't even think of what it is called. Its tan and round. What is that? Oh....this will bug me all day.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

Your Ketchup of Righteousness has nothing, NOTHING, on my Supreme Papaya of Destruction.

Imagine, if you will, a Papaya so beautiful that the very sight of it causes men and women (not unlike ourselves) to weep. Its skin is like freshly whipped cream (with a splash of color), its seeds like rare gemstones, its taste like a first passionate kiss.

But most of all, it EXPLODES and RAINS DOWN PAPAYA AWESOMENESS ON ALL THINGS KETCHUPY.

Beware...beware...

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*smites ersomniac with the Ketchup of Righteousness*
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I like ketchup very much thank you. I used to put it on Macaroni and Cheese. Now I ask you, can you put Papaya on Macaroni and Cheese and it improve the taste? Surely, one would think not.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*high-fives SR*
erosomniac
Member # 6834

Oh boy, Macaroni & Cheese? Don't even get me started.

Too late.

I'd never eaten macaroni & cheese until I was 19 and really, really, really hungry in college. We were out of instant saimin. My collection of hot pockets in the freezer was gone. The only thing resembling a meal (other than beer) in the room was a lone packet of instant macaroni & cheese under my roommate's bed.

I confess, I stole it. If you read this, Davin, let me know and maybe I'll feel bad enough to mail you a check for the $0.49. But probably not.

I didn't understand what I was seeing: little elbow macaroni and a packet of yellowy powder. I followed the preparation directions and was still confused - and also holding a tupperware with some noodles, water, and some yellowy powder floating on top.

Yum.

I microwaved it and, thankfully, most of the water mixed with said yellowy powder to form a chalky paste that I suppose could be construed as cheese. The macaroni were no longer discernable from the mess in the tupperware. I wanted to run, to hide, to be anywhere but in that dorm room in upstate new york, but I was hungry, and when you're hungry a lot of stupid things seem to make sense.

About 30 seconds later I was throwing up in the hall bathroom.

Never again. I hate you, macaroni and cheese. If you and ketchup would like to team up against the Power of Papaya, be my guest: Saddam & Bin Laden teaming up wouldn't make America hate them any less, would it? All it does is encourage us to pre-emptively invade your country. Bring it on, o ye evil conglomeration of foodstuffs. Papaya will win. Papaya will always win.

(The great irony of this being that I really, really, really, REALLY love ketchup - I get the costco twin pack and go through it in a matter of weeks. We're talkin a cup of ketchup per meal.)

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

EEEEW! That's not how you make mac and cheese! You boil, drain, and then add butter and milk and the cheese!

And I do the same thing with ketchup-- well, did until I got pregnant and had to reduce my ultra-high sodium intake to a normal intake. *sigh*

Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Papaya fresh, with fresh limes squeezed over it. There simply is no better breakfast when it's hot out side. But, you have to have a good Papaya. I have never seen one this side of the Reo Bravo. They need to be at least the size of a football (american).
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
EEEEW! That's not how you make mac and cheese! You boil, drain, and then add butter and milk and the cheese!
I'm beginning to see that I might not be enjoying mac & cheese so much because, well, I'm allergic to milk.
erosomniac
Member # 6834

But Papaya still wins.

<3 Artemisia

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
That may well be an issue.

(I make baked mac n cheese with a bechamel sauce with added fresh parmesan. Yum. [Smile] )

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*dumps milk on ersomniac's papaya* Enjoy, then.
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
*dumps milk on ersomniac's papaya* Enjoy, then.
[Cry]

Rub it in, just rub it in why don't you.

esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this was going to be about paypal.
Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the papaya. It smells weird, but not as weird as the durian, and I like that, too. I like all my fruits and vegetables.

And I like macaroni and cheese.

Fie on the picky eaters!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
One of my mission companions used to call papaya "the feet fruit." I have to admit, the aroma does have an uncanny resemblance to...feet. [Wink] I don't mind papaya, it's actually rather tasteless and boring IMO. So lame compared to zippy fruits like maracuja, acerola, and carambola (star fruit!). [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Provolone cheese smells more like feet than feet do.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
I thought this was going to be about paypal.
[Big Grin] That was the point.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

[Roll Eyes]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Artemisia Tridentata:
Papaya fresh, with fresh limes squeezed over it. There simply is no better breakfast when it's hot out side. But, you have to have a good Papaya. I have never seen one this side of the Reo Bravo. They need to be at least the size of a football (american).

Absolutely. And we get that kind of papaya here. Strawberry papaya. Huge. Sweet. Delicious.

I love papaya!

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tern
Member # 7429

Papaya smells nothing like durian - comparatively, it doesn't even smell.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Compared to durian, nothing smells.
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently we're going to have roasted papaya and burnt ketchup from this flame war...

[Razz]

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Papaya! And mango! and durian! and starfruit! and cherimoya!

*drools*

Good mac'n'cheese is nice, but it compares not to luscious fresh fruit.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You like BBQ sauce, though, too, don't you.
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had papaya before when I was on the USS Ronald Reagan. Haven't had it since. Didn't mind it. However, I'm not going to go out of my way to find it. Mac n cheese... I'm hungry now. An that's all I have in the cupboard now.

Durn clutch. I'm going to the DMV later on to get a NY driver's license. Then I can get a rental. Yay for wheels! Then I can go to a grocery store and get some good food.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tern
Member # 7429

quote:
Compared to durian, nothing smells.
I was once walking along and thought I smelled an open sewer, but it was a pile of durian rinds. How can something that smells so bad taste so okay?
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
You like BBQ sauce, though, too, don't you.

Most kinds, yes.

Not a huge fan of ketchup either, as you know.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*looks at rivka suspiciously*

Is your hair your own?

rivka
Member # 4859

Some of it. Not the stuff in boxes. Well, I mean it is, but it isn't.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

My hair is my own. I finished making all the payments. [Big Grin]
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparantly, smaller papayas are better than bigger ones.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Have you tasted those beautiful glossy black seeds? They are all spicy and peppery. They are nice in your salad.
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
About that frutabomba, Icarus, ask your more slang-hip friends what a papaya is in Cuba.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
....its seeds like rare gemstones...

Rare gemstones, my buttocks. I have always looked at them and imagine the warts in my 3rd grade teacher's neck. Ew...*chomps her pomegranate seeds* I'm saved from the imagionary taste of papaya again, (I get it whenever I read the word).
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Not really on topic, but kq, have you ever thought of hosting a Mafia game? You'd be wonderful at writing for Food Fight Mafia. [Big Grin]
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll stay classic with a nice red apple.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
Having never tried papaya, I can earnestly say "I don't like it" :-) However, anyone who enjoys ketchup enough to proclaim herself queen frightens me just a tad
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.