FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Papaya! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Papaya!
jennabean
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for jennabean   Email jennabean         Edit/Delete Post 
You can eat papaya with a SPOON. A fruit that can be eaten with a spoon deserves some respect. Try eating an apple with a spoon! (mm, I love papayas.)
Posts: 308 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
aspectre, point taken. So there is such a thing as a papaya . . . but it is definitely not a fruit! The fruit is called frutabomba!

[Big Grin]

-o-

When my cousin first came from Cuba, ketchup was an absolute revelation to him. He was always asking for la salsita roja! I think he pretty much felt that was America's premier contribution to civilization. [Big Grin]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
However, anyone who enjoys ketchup enough to proclaim herself queen frightens me just a tad
You should be afraid. I put it on my cheesecake now and then. [Evil Laugh]

quote:
You can eat papaya with a SPOON. A fruit that can be eaten with a spoon deserves some respect. Try eating an apple with a spoon!
This is no test of the nobility of a fruit. Only it's looseness. You can eat some very good fruits-- pineapple, cherimoya, mango-- with a spoon, and some not-so-good/evil ones as well-- kiwi, papaya.

quote:
I think he pretty much felt that was America's premier contribution to civilization.
What an intelligent man! [Big Grin]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
<shudder> I just thought of putting ketchup on the greatest of all deserts, cheesecake (especially when combined with the #2 desert, Pumpkin Pie..... mmmmm.... pumpkin pie cheesecake......) I would consider starting a holy war with the Ketchup Queen, if my wife wouldn't smack me. She eats ketchup on nearly everything, and Ranch Dressing on everything else. Once I got tired of being smacked, I stopped making fun of her asking for ketchup with her steak (or more correctly, making ME ask so she wouldn't feel awkward)
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennabean
Member # 8590

What is a cherimoya? YOU DON'T LIKE KIWI EITHER? Ohhh, as a lover of all things fruity, this breaks my heart.
Posts: 308 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*high-fives SR*

What is this high-five to which you refer?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Kiwi is all right. But not one I'd prefer to eat on a regular basis. Cherimoya is a wonderful, wonderful fruit. Mark Twain said it was "deliciousness itself." [Big Grin]

And I like ketchup and sour cream on my steak.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Who's steak would you put ketchup and sour cream on if not your own, might I ask?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

OK, the thought of Sour Cream makes me nauseaous, the real thing actually tears me up. I think I'm going to go eat a peice of pumpkin pie, and forget all this craziness....
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Her husband's. After all, she has to put something on the food that she mooches. [Smile]

Kiwi is a great fruit. I used to take about 4 or 5 off the mess decks on my way to the office when I was on the ship.

*Getting hungry again and just had dinner.*

KQ: Ketchup on cheesecake ... ok, I'm just not going to go there. I'm generally not a picky eater, but that made my stomach turn just a little bit.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

Right there with ya, Stan
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

kq- Do you have a special recipe for Ketchup Cheesecake?
smitty
Member # 8855

Oh man - I mean, I know kq has to be wise, with so many posts, but surely she will step in and end the ketchup cheesecake madness!!
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I love papaya!! Of course I must admit that some are much better than others. The ones I've picked ripe of trees in the Hawaiian islands have been far, far better than any I've ever gotten at grocery stores. I think that some of the "soap" taste and "foot" smell developes when they are picked green and ripened afterwards.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure you know that ketchup can be made from papaya's.

http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recipes/relishes/ketchuppapaya01.html

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by jennabean:
Try eating an apple with a spoon!

Applesauce!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Beans, beans, the musical fruit...

[Big Grin]

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

The more you eat the more.....oh looks that dog is so cute! [Razz]
jennabean
Member # 8590

Tante, I meant fresh apples! Tough crowd, you Hatrackers. [Razz] I suppose what I meant to say is that I love eating papayas 'cause I can eat them with a spoon!

Beans, beans, they're good for your heart...

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Jelly beans? I once planted some and grew a jelly bush.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennabean
Member # 8590

Can't say I've planted a Jenna bean! But perhaps George and Laura Bush have...
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

That remark was completely inappropriate...

You'll fit in just fine around here.

Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody intended to eat an apple with a spoon.

I prefer these apples.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I'm afraid to click on those links, so I won't. Is that alright?
jennabean
Member # 8590

Mmmm yes, eating apples with sticks is obviously the best way to go about it.
Stan the man
Member # 6249

They are safe Steve, but it's ok with me if you don't want to look.
Altáriël of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altáriël of Dorthonion   Email Altáriël of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stan the man:
Somebody intended to eat an apple with a spoon.

I prefer these apples.

yumm yumm
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
No. But I have one for Ketchup Apple Pie. I made it for a RS potluck once. [Big Grin]
Altáriël of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altáriël of Dorthonion   Email Altáriël of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:
No. But I have one for Ketchup Apple Pie. I made it for a RS potluck once. [Big Grin]
You should submit a picture of it to the website.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:
Apparantly, smaller papayas are better than bigger ones.

Not here. The smaller ones we had tasted like cardboard. The big ones - much, much bigger than a football - tasted divine!

But then, here, papaya trees are almost everywhere. There's one across the street on an empty, unclaimed piece of land. Which makes me wonder who steals the papayas from it. The lizards on my roof, I bet.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, custom?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
*stepping around the ketchup controversy*

This is weird, I thought I just saw myself post. But I never have.

Like your name, jennabean. [Smile]

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennabean
Member # 8590

And I love yours, JennaDean! [Wave]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
*blinks* Wow.

Welcome to HatCrack, JennaDean.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
[Blushing] Well, this site is actually how I found out about That Other Forum, but I haven't had the motivation to jump into the fray here until I thought I saw myself. OSC is my favorite living author. And, not to get off track, I do like papaya. [Smile]

As for ketchup, my three year old calls every sauce ketchup. There's red ketchup, and white ketchup (ranch dressing), and brown ketchup (barbecue sauce). You won't catch me defiling my cheesecake, though.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

[ROFL] Here, ketchup, or catsup as the purist called ketchupqueen calls it, is called tomato sauce, and it might be hot, and it might have ginger and garlic in it. [Smile] And yeah, sometimes, Heinz is available. [Razz]
jennabean
Member # 8590

Hatcrack! [ROFL] No kidding... it is actually my first day too, Jdean.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

What's the odds of that?

And there is only one True Ketchup. Blasphemers.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Yeah yeah. [Roll Eyes]

No, no, please don't hit me. Put that down. *ducks and flees for life*

Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I've been ignoring this thread because I thought any post titled "Papaya!" would be extolling its virtues, and I cannot relate. But when I saw it had extended to two pages, I got curious, and must weigh in: I agree w/ the papaya haters!! [Taunt]

But I'm willing to concede that I've never tried it recently picked in a tropical country. I figure it must taste better *somewhere* than it does here! And papaya juice? Oh, puh-leez!!

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Papaya juice is fantabulous! But yeah, we get ours - juice and fruit - fresh. Like, really really fresh. Not less than five minutes off the tree cuz we don't have a papaya tree, but within a few hours or so, yeah. Yum. [Smile] [Big Grin]
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Papaya juice is one of my all-time favorites! YUM. As is the fruit itself.

And can y'all who claim that papayas smell bad be talking about the same fruit as me?? Jackfruit reeks. Papaya does not. [Taunt]

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I don't think it smells (other than like papaya.) I just loathe it.

And quid, I am willing to concede that there are other catsups. But the catsup in itself is inherently evil, so...

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Jackfruit in a curry, however, is perfectly fine. [Big Grin]
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
I love how jackfruit tastes, though I've only had it fresh or pickled/canned and not cooked in any way. But the skin/husk/whatever of the fruit has a definite fragrance that isn't pretty! [Wink]
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Tante, custom?

Uh, wha?

Help me out a little. That was awfully cryptic.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
My hair is my own. I finished making all the payments. [Big Grin]

Does that help? [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Semi-custom. [Big Grin]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Or semi-trucks? [Razz]
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
The smell of a papaya, if you disregard the heavenly taste, has a little resemblance to the smell a wee baby has if she is only being nourished by her mothers milk. It may be surprising at first, but not unpleasant. Get past that and taste the fruit. But, again, get a good big one. (And squeeze lots of fresh lime on top.)
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.