FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New column: Leave feedback for this column (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: New column: Leave feedback for this column
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Leave feedback for this column

I am a decent writer. Need a quick column? I’m there. Need a short story or essay or script or poem? I laugh and reach for my keyboard. Need to compose a polite but insistent e-mail to a retailer to complain about the shopping cart left lodged wheel-deep into your Civic? I’m on it. And yet, when faced with the most minor writing task imaginable, I freeze up.

Such as, for example, leaving feedback at eBay.

It’s a simple thing, really. You’ve made a transaction at this popular online auction site, you’re either happy or unhappy with the results, and all you have to do is check a box and leave a short comment about the ordeal. But I stare at the screen helplessly, torn over my choice. After all, future generations will look at my words before putting their faith in this person. The 80 characters or less that I write may make the difference between someone’s personal satisfaction and their financial ruin. And what if my seller just had an off day but doesn’t really deserve the crushing report I want to deliver? Do I want the responsibility of being the only “Negative” comment in an otherwise sterling life?

More...

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Do I want the responsibility of being the only “Negative” comment in an otherwise sterling life?
Eh, I used to sometimes be the only teacher giving a bad grade on a student's report card. This is probably only slightly more life-altering.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
“I would step on my children to buy from this seller again”
quote:
“Remember this feedback when they find my body, and cry for me”
[Big Grin]

I'd like to see that. Really, I would.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I love those.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
You do realize I found myself counting characters on a couple of the more delicious ones... [Smile]
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
You know you can copy and paste to find out the word count. [Wink] I never finished NaNoWriMo (by a depressingly long shot) but I did come away with a bunch of tools to use that come in handy at work and such.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm using these.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Each and every one is 80 characters or less.

And while I can usually work easily within the family-friendly standards of our newspaper, I had to bite back hard on some of my more robust ideas...

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, you may have permanently changed the way I view -- and post -- eBay feedback.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

I had 5 transactions that I have been to lazy to leave feedback for.

Thanks for list!

http://tinyurl.com/287c3s

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Stephan, that's great!

A couple of quick notes:
quote:
Transaction served as wholly adequate replacement for human contact. Bless you
I thought Chris was going for, ah, "marital aid" with this one, so it made an interesting inclusion on my read. I'll never look at Night at the Museum the same again. (But I have a dirty mind.)
quote:
Remember this feedback when they find my body, and cry for me
I read this as a negative (as in, I am going to go kill myself now), but it's clear that it's a positive coment from your check. Which is good, as Turtledove should not inspire suicide. Maybe killing off one's evil alternate self with the pointy black beard, but not oneself. (However, maybe you aren't the self you think you are. Dun-dun-dunnnh! [Wink] )
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:

I read this as a negative (as in, I am going to go kill myself now), but it's clear that it's a positive coment from your check. Which is good, as Turtledove should not inspire suicide. Maybe killing off one's evil alternate self with the pointy black beard, but not oneself. (However, maybe you aren't the self you think you are. Dun-dun-dunnnh! [Wink] ) [/QB]

Heh.

I took it to mean, I'm leaving this as a positive feedback so that someone, anyone, will miss me.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Aw, that's much better. I like that.
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

"I have left my family and now roam behind this seller, learning and growing"

"A bit more of my youth has been lost, torn away by lies and poor shipping habits."

"The speed and courtesy were unexpected, as was the enclosed butter."

Actually, I was strongly tempted to just come up with a few dozen Shakespearian feedbacks, but I restrained myself to just two.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

*giggling in my dank little office
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

"Enjoy your ill-gotten gain. My sons will avenge me! Avenge me!"
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Oh, and the "find my body" thing? I was going for suicidal. Sorry. My best to Mr. Turtledove.
Stephan
Member # 7549

If you can think of any I can leave for buyers post away!
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

"Payment! At last I can leave this life of crime! Recommended."
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

"Thou art an integral part of my world, as is the charge of right-handed singlets"

"Across the vagaries of time and space, a mutually satisfactory connection"

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

"Swift payment, no problems, great kisser."
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
"Involuntarily paid buyer to take my item. Avoid."
Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

"Good buyer. Speedy sale. Untraceable. A++"
Tristan
Member # 1670

"Offered buyer a toaster. Took my first-born as well."
Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

"I asked you for pence, and you gave me riches. Joyous fruit of transaction!"

"I would sell this man my soul, were it not already ensconced in a magic fiddle."

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
"Speedy delivery, good price, killed mailman as intended!"
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

"Sale! It was crap and he bought it! Let’s see, what else can I get rid of…"
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

"Once I was alone. Now I have a friend. Super A+++!"
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

"I would sell this man my soul, were it not already ensconced in a magic fiddle."

Maybe my favorite so far...

Tristan
Member # 1670

"Transaction satisfactory. Paid for in blood."
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

"Received payment in time to release buyer's daughter. Satisfactory."
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

"Most people have to go through extra surgery to get a heart this large."

---

Edited to add: Hey, thanks, Chris [Smile]

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

"After each sale, I am reborn -- until this. Now have super powers. Thanks!"
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
"In a just world, seller would would be repeatedly pierced with red-hot pokers. Shipping was prompt."

"I was impressed by seller's generous cow to magic beans exchange rate."

"In most cultures, COD means Cash On Delivery. Not the fish."

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

"Buyer credulous and solvent. Will buy anything."
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by Tristan:
"Buyer credulous and solvent. Will buy anything."

*laughing aloud
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

"Hey everyone! Got a live one here!"
Tristan
Member # 1670

"Payment timely. Sorry for not shipping item. Recommended."
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

"Townspeople's souls turned over in a timely manner. A+++"
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
"Seller personally carried purchase to my doorstep, offered to trim hedges and watch my children A++++"
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

"At time of payment, turtle had perished. Refunded."
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

"Repeated delays in shipping have doomed all those in the Greater Philadelphia region to eternal torment."
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

"Seller minion of Satan. Purchase at own risk. Recommended."
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

"Font choice led to ambiguous description. Thought I was purchasing a plug for my R Ear."
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
"Great seller. Will buy more if serial numbers are removed."

"Package destroyed by Bomb Disposal Unit. Refunded."

"Great seller. Immaculate item. But what does it do?"

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
"Font choice led to ambiguous description. Thought I was purchasing a plug for my R Ear."

[ROFL]
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Tell me that one won't be returned...
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:

Perrriteee caleverr! [Big Grin]

"Item began ending all actions at the atomic level, returned."

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

"Transaction was satisfactory but left me craving for fish-flavored cat food. Cat food was unsatisfactory."
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
"Seller minion of Satan. Purchase at own risk. Recommended."
quote:
quote:
"Great seller. Immaculate item. But what does it do?"
[Laugh]

"The seagulls woke me … to the stench of deception. Aim well, lads"

"Only the lonely can play, but not with him. Begin the shunning."

"Like Alanis put on her God jacket and touched my finger. I will never wash again"

---

(80 character limit for eBay feedback, including spaces)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.