FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Could use some consultants for writing a novel (Page 0)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Could use some consultants for writing a novel
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
It's not good to rely on for a warship, basically the going plan is "earth gravity when in transit, null-g in combat".

But the swivel idea is interesting.

[ September 12, 2010, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: Blayne Bradley ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
Well, he said "for people who..." and then described what he saw as himself. You said "You mean for people who..." which means you are essentially offering another view of a group of people that Blayne obviously identifies with.

Just read the posts in sequence. It's obvious Blayne is talking about himself, and therefore just as obvious that you are also talking about him.

If that's not what you meant, then I think you should probably explicitly say so, and clarify who you were referring to.

Problems with your reading comprehension and starting assumptions are not my fault.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
Well, he said "for people who..." and then described what he saw as himself. You said "You mean for people who..." which means you are essentially offering another view of a group of people that Blayne obviously identifies with.

Just read the posts in sequence. It's obvious Blayne is talking about himself, and therefore just as obvious that you are also talking about him.

If that's not what you meant, then I think you should probably explicitly say so, and clarify who you were referring to.

Problems with your reading comprehension and starting assumptions are not my fault.
Right. Okay then. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Question: does it need to decelerate that fast?

The Space Shuttle has maneuvering thrusters on the nose so it doesn't plow in to satellites. You could have a scaled down forward thruster... I imagine (and I may be wrong) that it doesn't take a lot to slow something down in dead space.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Just flip the ship 180 degrees at turnover. Obviously everything needs to be stowed so it doesn't go all over the place in those few minutes of freefall. You warships will fall down towards their targets riding a miles-long flame; the enemy's gate will not only be down, it will be charred to a crisp.

Recall the Human Lesson from the Man-Kzin wars: Anything capable of accelerating any significant chunk of metal at Earthlike gravities is itself a deadly weapon.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

won't the crew go splat as its being flipped?

Like I mean if I have a warship, kinda box-y rectangularily or cyndrically shaped (so not a sphere) going at 1g in a given direction or 975km/s whichever is relevant here and then at that point I flip it around along the long axis will there be any newtonian g forces as its flipping that the crew would be affected by if distributed among it?

@KoM, a useless weapon as it would be in no ones interest to spagitify solar colonies, each one is the equivilent of a decently sized city with considerable industrial and economic and logistical implications for the occupier if it can be grabbed intact.

And unlike cities can be easily evacuated and repurposed.

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Just flip it slowly enough so that the centripetal acceleration doesn't hurt them (keep it under a few g, or if you want to be consistent, keep the acceleration at maximum inhabited radius to 1 g). Even a very large ship should only take a few minutes to do that (though I haven't run the calculations).

Indeed, if you turn it slowly enough, the centripetal acceleration will be low enough the crew will think they are in zero g.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

After watching the first season of Sci-Fi Science I have some ideas in combination with ProjectRho for the material composition of a warships armor and possibly it's shields.

For the defense against Nuclear shape charges, mass drivers, small arms fire, and missiles:

For Lasers:
quote:
Basically, the energy requirement to damage a surface is measured in joules/cm2. If you exceed that value, you do damage, otherwise you fail. Keep in mind that a Joule is the same thing as a watt-second.

However, neither thermal kill nor impulse kill works very well with armor. So we use the third method: drilling. The amount of energy required to drill through an object is within a factor of 2 or so of the heat of vaporization of that object. There are also two other limits: the maximum aspect ratio of the hole is usually less than 50:1, and the actual drilling speed, for efficient drilling, is limited to about 1 meter per second (depending on the material).

Therefore, the best anti-laser armor will be that material with the highest vaporization energy for its mass. The best candidate is some form of carbon, at 29.6 kilojoules/gram. You do not want a form that is soft or easily powdered, or the vapor action under laser impact will blow out flakes of armor, allowing the laser to penetrate much faster. Steel has a higher vaporization energy, but it masses more as well.

Under laboratory conditions, if an armor layer was 5 g/cm2 of carbon, burning through a 1 cm2 (1.12 cm diameter) spot of armor would take about 148 kilojoules and 20 milliseconds. An AV:T laser cannon with 50 megaJoules could burn through 330 such armor layers in a few seconds, under laboratory conditions (i.e., enough layers to burn through the entire ship the long way).

However, under combat conditions there is no way one could focus the laser down that tiny and keep it on the same spot on the target ship for multiple seconds.

It would be better to use a beam focused down to a larger 10 cm2 spot (11.2 cm diameter). Granted the beam power required to penetrate jumps from 148 kilojoules to 15 megaJoules, but now if we have an uncertainty in the target's velocity of up to 5 meters per second it doesn't matter.

Of course, if price is no object, you can do better than carbon. Boron has a vaporization energy of 45.3 kilojoules/gram and is only slightly denser than carbon. Expensive, though.

This in combination with Photochromatic coating of the armor with a carbon-fibre layer(s) would I think provide some protection against laser armament.

Then there's Cold Plasma, which could work if it could be determined how to mould it around the ship.

For nukes:

quote:

In Space Propulsion Analysis and Design they give the specs on a typical shadow shield. Starting at the atomic engine, the gamma rays and neutrons first encounter 18 centimeters of beryllium (which acts as a neutron reflector), followed by 2 centimeters of tungsten (mainly a gamma-ray shield but also does a good job on neutrons), and finally 5 centimeters of lithium hydroxide (To stop the remaining neutrons. Hydrogen slows down the neutrons and lithium absorbs them.). This attenuates the gamma flux to a value of 0.00105, and neutron flux to 4.0e-9. This has a mass of 3,500 kilograms per square meter of shadow shield (ouch!). For a rough estimate it should be a disk with a radius equal to the radius of the reactor core. To estimate the size of the core is over my head but it is covered in SPAD.

Some sort of composite armor of the above for resisting radiation would probably be sufficient if my engine is efficient enough and uses little enough mass for fuel and still be practical.

Mass Drivers, Railguns, Coilguns:

A carbon fibre mesh with whatever is the strongest/lightest allow known to science.

Of course I'm skeptical that any of this could be effective for keeping the ship alive for the 'dozens to hundreds' of exchanged blows in fiction so story speaking the above armor is probably only to be good for maybe 3-6 direct hits.

Then we have Point Defense and Evasive Maneuvering, the latter is gonna be hard for anything in transit but the former is probably a good solution for any debris or missiles.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
Blayne, something occurred to me as I was reading the Ishmael part of the discussion that I think might be helpful to you. The reason for getting good,true information when writing fiction is not to be technically correct. The reason for having good information is so that out-of-place things don't interfere with the reader being pulled into the story. It doesn't matter whether or not you can justify something; what matters is some little tidbit strikes the reader as enough "off" the he starts wondering about it instead of your story.

An example: I was watching Highlander-Endgame on TV (a perfect minefield of historical inaccuracies*) thousands of anachronism pass by without causing a ripple but in one segment that was supposed to take place in 1712, they make a reference to the King. There wasn't a king of Great Britain in 1712; there was a queen. Now they could justify it any number of ways - maybe they meant some pretender or the queen's consort or that the Irish brigand wouldn't know anyway - but it didn't matter as I was already out of the story and googling british monarchs.

*Like a 16th century Scot would be named "Heather". [Roll Eyes]

I apparently missed this;

From what I read, readers encountering a situation that is "off" or appears unrealistic will actually in the end cement their appreciation of the work more in a "fridge brilliance" moment when at some point they look into it and realize "holy crud, that's actually really clever" and then loyalty is assured in that moment.

For example in the anime Katanagatari, they at one point during the episode visited a derelict castle in the middle of a desert that wouldn't be out of place in an arabian nights tale.

But to my mind should have been out of place in Japan and was like "No no no, that's not right, there can't be a massive desert in Japan." So with the name of the prefecture I looked it up and holy shit there's actually a prefecture sized desert!!!

I haven't questioned the anime since even when they pulled out the Revolvers in an Edo period Japan tale [Wink]

I still have no idea of what a "Blayne Moment" is, the closest thing I could guess is "don't make your stories one massive mary sue pile up" but that would've been constructed as actually good advice and been respectful as opposed to "Blayne Moment".

0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
So, it's been... gosh, over a year since you fist posted this. How is the novel going, anyway?

This should be fun! I look forward to reading what you've got. It's fun to see the work other people about my age have been working on. Do you want to see what I've done in the same period, by which I mean the last year or so? Besides something like 15 or 16 school essays, (which is for school, not fun, but hey, any writing is better practice than no writing!) probably more, and reading a ton of literature in genres I've never read before (Raymond Carver isn't bad. I found an influence I didn't know I had), I've written a feature length screenplay, several short stories, a short epic poem and I directed, shot, edited and presented a 25-minute short film.

I still feel like I wasted so much time I could have used making more things, though. I procrastinate alot, and don't get nearly as much done as I want. I have a few more short stories I want to finish, and, you know what, I think I'm going to do more work on them tomorrow.

One of them sucks (I've never tried the style before, and I'm just not really feeling it. I'll have to start from page one again, definitely), one of them I have planned out, all I need is to just finish it point by point, and then there's a couple more short screenplays... man, I have to shoot a (shorter) short film in the next couple months based on one of those scripts, and then finish that second feature script I've been planning by the end of March. Wow. I am busy.

Oh, and here's a great question to everyone: Pulp adventure stories. Can anyone recommend some good ones? I kinda need to write a pulp-style short story, and while I think I know the feel, I would feel more comfortable after hearing a few recommendations, and reading a few things some others here like.

Time for bed. I really need to get started. I've wasted so much time.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I'm still brainstorming stuff, I have the problem I start on one problem and then get distracted by another idea, end result is little gets done all around except for a bunch of folders made.

Here's the thread I posted on TvTropes.

I want to be a writer, maybe even a manga artist just so I can have flexibility in how I want to tell my stories, narrative is very important to me.

But I have 2 problems, 1, is that I have "alot" of ideas and working on one idea excludes me from working on others, so like a bunch of hooligans rushing through one door very little gets done aside from brainstorming and sketching out characters and plots.

Partially solved by a deliberate invoking of the Moorcrock Effect, "Okay, what if I made EACH story a segment of the same universe and then make an epic myth arc at the very end where it all comes together to end the story?" in a massive cross over, good to have an end goal right?

My second problem, is that I'm one of those overly enthusiastic otaku's who sees a cool thing and then decides that I must have that cool thing, to the point that as one person uncharitably put it:

"I just think, knowing you, and knowing everything I've read about this so far, that this is going to be a laundry list of "wouldn't it be cool" Blayne moments. Which is great, sitting around with friends, or whatever. If you put it all in an novel, you're going to be disappointed when people hate it."

Uncharitably because I am skeptical I'ld be so blind to have say... a Russian girl esper with a katana in an otherwise serious alternate history scifi war novel set in the future but I suspect that things I would consider innoculous may or may not appear that way to an outsider and snowball over time.

Story Idea That I Intend to be a Trilogy:
[This idea is first because it is the only exception, it is the only one that won't be intentionally made to fit in the same canon as the others below except for maybe a cameo to confuse the fans and make them pointlessly argue over it on the forums.]

Working title: Ishmael War Trilogy; Scifi, AltHist, WWIII
It is the year 2098 and on June 9th 2087 (100 years after I was born actually, hey write what you know) an old Soviet Cruiser from the Soviet Army Space Corps that was about to be decommissioned and scrapped is because of lax security hijacked by a disgruntled Naval Intelligence officer Radoslav Ramius and does a Kamikaze run on the heart of NATO, the United States of America, our protagonist, Ishmael Rozhdestvenski and an Operative of the Bureau of Internal Security (something like a KGB political Commissar meets Commando, like Ciaphas Cain) who was tracking down the conspiracy could only manage to change the course of the ship so it hit Ohio instead, killing 30 million Americans in an instant.

NATO launches an immediate counter attack and the war begins, a tale of conspiracy, betrayal underneath a speculative fiction space opera using the interplanetary war between 'Space NATO' and 'Space Warsaw Pact' forces as the backdrop exploring how a hard science fiction war where both sides have interplanatary vessels capable of traveling between space colonies (like the ones from Gundam), Mars or Earth within days would look like primarily through Ismael's eyes but also through a cast of characters on both sides of the war from different ranks and perspectives, like Harry Turtledove but epic.

Notes: I am heavily using ProjectRho for information on using actual possible science for this.
Notes2: Because I absolute hate the Tom Clancy Antagonist motions of "The Soviets are always the bad guy and start the war" and the utterly subtle as a dancing elephant way its pushed through this time the war starts because of a conspiracy involving mid level intelligence agents on both sides of the iron curtain who feel their respective gov'ts and people are losing their patriotism after so many years of peace and quickly losing their sense of purpose. Inspired a bit from General Shepard from Call of Duty and a bit from observation from disgruntled military analysts I've met online and was like "They could totally do this with a little pushing".

Story Ideas That I Intend to Write as Long Runners:
1. Working title... Uhm, I don't have one... odd. Let's call it the Levi Saga; Scifi, Urban Fantasy, Cosmic Horror, Horror, Shonen(?)

This is only one I've actually started on, mostly as a result of some daydreaming of "What if I ended up in a Forgotten Realms type of society and gave the Drow the Industrial Revolution? And then sent say, my daughter from there back to my home dimension a few years after I left?" So the story basically begins from there.

Gordon is your average high school student, has no powers and lives in a mundane world of nothing special or extraordinary happening, he's actually very normal and angsting over normal things, he just moved to the municipality of Rigaud (Quebec, Canada, write what you know! Guess where I live [Wink] ) because his parents wanted to open up an electronics and computer store there after inheriting some money, thus separating from all of his friends, from everything he knew and what his world was made up of "like that".

He made a friend, a weird scifi geek goth thing who spouts babylon 5 quotes... Who he also can't really stand either but figures by hanging around someone like him he can be left alone, who would approach two people like them right?

In the 3 weeks before school starts he starts to slowly warm up to his surroundings, especially all of the trees and canadian nature in general, always having lived and never have left downtown Montreal before then he finds nature fascinating and reassuring.

At the start of the school year he and Alessandro Lucardo (hint, significant anagram in last name) are about to enter the classroom, Gordon is momentarily taken aback by some weird sense of deja vu but dismisses it and enters the room.

There sitting in the front is Levi, The Oujo and a bit of an airhead, Gordon is immediately smitten by her and she seems to take an immediate interest in him as well... (Un)Surprisingly his plan mentioned above backfires as it turns out Alessandro is friends with just about everybody and everybody also turns out to be just as weird only in different ways! Everyone then rings Gordon into their activities and socialness much to his ire.

[Levi is the above mentioned Dark Elf girl sent back as a child, (See Unusually Interesting Uninteresting Site, her ears are generally hidden by her hair and her eyes make her look Asian and her skin color, well, African Canadian so no one questions anything until later) she knows just about nothing as to what she is and I am playing with the idea of reconstructing Always Chaotic Evil.

Basically 'Drow' there is no real consensus in the source material if they are simply born evil or raised evil because of their Chronic Backstabber Disoder society, so what if they ARE always BORN evil, how would that develop in an otherwise loving foster family in a quiet idealic neighbourhood? This would be explored in the second novel.]

Then murders start happening... One after another.... Even worse, it's a groundhog day loop controlled by who they don't know, can Gordon and his new friends however reluctantly he made them break out and solve the case?

The first book of this introduces all of the characters and the loop begins and ends in it as its only an introduction into a larger broader story and verse' with the characters of that classroom all gaining powers and abilities from their adjacentness to Levi (The Drow sent back by her human father) and all end up having to continuously band together to fight off extradimensional eldritch abominations with things getting more insane bit by bit.

The what I consider to be the interesting bit is that it's a little bit of a round robbin, all of the characters personalities and what not are based off of my friends in real life and tailoring their abilities/weapons based on their preferences.

I also intend to use the Canadian Armed Forces as a recurring Mauve Shirt BadAss Army to help deal with the threats whenever they get too much to handle, part of my conception of the struggle between the Eldritch Abominations and my characters is a question of "Order" vs "Chaos" with Human weapons, Magic, Abilities, etc all being manifestations of "Order" and thus partly harmful to pure "Chaos" which is what the Abominations are composed of but because the material universe is partly chaotic it's not perfect so losses happen.

2. Ouroboros Cyrcle*; Urban Fantasy, Very Shonen

*Kinda a pontmantau of Circle + Cycle + Sickle, I liked the imagery.

Julius is having a bad day.

Julius since he was a child could always see spirits, his family thought or rather explained them away as delusions, certainly a result of the brain damage he received as a child in a terrorist attack he was caught in as a child, visiting Prince Edward Island with his parents... But they died in the explosion.

Now he is an adult, graduated from University with a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science but times are tough and he can't get a job so taking advice from his forum penpal from Japan he enrolled into the JET program.

The Spirits in Canada had generally been friendly, they're scariness wore off as he grew older and fear turned into annoyance as they wouldn't leave him alone, they included all sorts of things like local inuit folktale spirit guides and the like.

He was barely an hour off the plane in Japan walking through a park before he was attacked by some kind of giant centipede thing!

With no one able to see or interact with it all he could do was run no idea whats happening or why or what to do, it could touch him, it could hurt him and was clearly trying to eat him, the spirits back home never dared.

Running for his life he runts into a girl walking down some temple steps wearing a miko costume, surprised and visibly angry she's about to give the foreigner a piece of her mind (or rather is in the middle of doing so) ignoring his desperate attempts to get up to run when she notices the giant centipede monster.

She pulls out her Bokken (as she was in a hurry to kendo practice) and injures it, to the foreigners slackjawed amazement and it starts to run off she pulls up the funny man and forces him to follow her as she chases it, intent on finishing it off.

It then opens a portal and they come crashing through.

They appear in another world, they soon find the centipede and question it and then the girl finishes it off, they are amazed for a few minutes at the ghibli hills terrain but start getting worried... How would they get home?

Startled as Julius had forgotten all about it starts deeply considering what to do... How to get home... How to get home... How to open a portal... And then voila! The portal reopens, surprised but relieved they rush their way back through in a slightly different location than before.

They part ways without exchanging names leaving Julius confused and baffled at the whole thing but does a little experiment, discovers that he can now open said portal at will now and tests it out going in and out, opening and closing.

Satisfied, he returns home and prepares for his first day at work tomorrow, later arriving in class to his complete and utter shock he sees the girl he ran into in the front row! Talk about contrived coincidences! He doesn't believe it, quickly he glances down at his desk to the attendance sheet and mumbles through the kanji in his head... Hik... Hikari... Fuji...Wara...

Wacky Hijinks Ensue.

I'm still toying with the idea of making the Other Universe for this story like a photo negative representation of wherever they were on Earth when they went, with a dark monochrome sky, with people and creatures distinguished with pastel colours and sorta post apocolyptic but not quite and other things but I'll leave that for later.

What matters it that Julius, a foreign exchange english teacher in Japan with the help of a girl and her sister end up exploring and adventuring in an "Other" world, but, do so exploring and deconstructing (and then reconstructing) video game tropes, for example in the "Other" world they gain something like a character class and gain power(s) through more or less the same way a jrpg or crpg character would, by completing 'quests' and killing things. The girl, Hikari went in with a Bokken but was a Miko as her family tradition, so she becomes like a sword-saint cleric multiclass kind of thing, her sister is a bookworm and a fan of dragonlance and is anemic so she becomes a wizard. Julius the next major trip in brings airsoft stuff so he becomes what I'm going to name a "Gunsmith" pistoleer kind of archetype but can use whatever he brings and the world gives him unlimited ammo, so airsoft AK47 becomes a very nice thing to have!

3. Senatus Populusque Tyrannum (The Senate and the People of Tyranny); High Fantasy, D&D, War

On the world of Tagnik Zur there used to be Dragons, tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of Dragons who through tens of thousands of years of civilization brought upon their own downfall when their wars, so destructive forced them to capture and enslave humanoids from other worlds to fight for them, as a desperate measure when one of the number, one of the Dragon Emperor's, had magically created his own race of foot soldiers who could seemingly replicate themselves endlessly (through normal breeding, the rate of reproduction of humanoid dragons cross mixed with Mammal dna makes Dragon reproduction seem glacial) and once armed with draconic magic and dragon forged weapons were a potent force that could seemingly absorb endless casualties.

So the others grew desperate, crafted massive superportals to breach the aether and reached out to other worlds and stole their peoples to fight for them, and fight and die they did, eventually these creatures came to see the dragons as gods and through prayer granted the Dragons even greater magical powers, through their feudal system 99% of this power went to the Emperors who ascended to godhood themselves, high enough to lord it over the mortals of their world but not high enough, they restrained themselves as to not anger their own Gods, the Progenitors of Dragonkind, Bahamut and Tiamat.

Eventually the Puppet King of the Dracos (the magically created race, think of them as Expies of Dragonlance Draconians) rebelled against his God's demanding freedom for his people! Freedom to forge their own destiny to stop pointlessly dying for beings who couldn't care less.

His rebellion was nearly successful... Thousands rebelled and took up arms against the Gods, armed with dragon slaying halberds they acquired mounts of lowly War Dragons (I have 3 races of Dragons, High Dragons, War Dragons and Mage Dragons) sympathetic to their cause fought the war to the very strongholds of their gods.

And then King of the Dracos, Lord Tyrannus was slain, stabbed in the back by his close friend and advisor, the Necromancer Prodicius who hungered for the ability to cast spells "That Transcend 9th Circle Spells" (Epic Magic, which can only be unlocked with permission from the gods).

In his death, from the very instant that his death hit home, the whole Draco Nation mourned, their grief deep to the bone, but this moment of profound loss fueled Tyrannus's own ascension, and not content with the level his former gods held went higher and brought upon the wrath of Bahamut and Tiamut upon their children.

Bahamut and Tiamat arrived and punished the dragon race, gave them a choice, Leave Forever and remain Gods or stay and be forever stripped of it.

About 95% of the Dragon race left that day, Tyrannus himself was both punished and rewarded, he could remain a God, but he would forever stay on that world and lowered to a god of lesser rank and forever unable to interfere in the world for there were other races now and they deserved a chance to make their own living and having only one god favoring one race would unbalance the world.

Fast forward a thousand years the Dracos, now Tyrannians in honor of their legendary King, have founded after centuries of migration their own nation, the City and Republic of Tyrannum, for how there could ever be a King as Great as The Lord? Blasphemy! So the people choose their representatives who handle the issues of day to day government, in a body called the Senate led by an half elected half approved by the Senete Chancellor who acts as a permament "Regent" to the empty Throne...

This story is a war series following the career of [s]Captai-[/s]Lt. Drake (Demoted From The Call) who fights the many many many enemies of the Republic as an officer in charge of an ad hoc bunch of misfits and crazies who goes on to win ever larger battles for ever increasing stakes and soon he will hold the fate of the Republic and then the world itself in his hands/claws.

Very much a large homage to The Doom Brigade from Dragonlance by Tracy Hicman and Margarette Weis and partly out of a frustration out of a lack of due diligence in writing sequels, so this idea started as fanfiction and then I was like "Wait, what if I changed a few things so there wouldn't be infringement and then just make my own story and publish it?"

Notable for my desire to balance Crapsack world with World half Empty with some War40k influences, essentially the "East" of this world looks like an inverted Europe (you'll see in the link below, imagine Russia in the West instead the East with China further to the west and you got it) with the Europe part being in the "Middle Ages" period with high birthrate among humans, low lifespawns, constant wars and struggle, famines, plagues, chaos all around... Except in one place, the Republic.

The Republic is like a beacon of civilization, a shining torch in the dark, Humans in there live long life spans, a whole 70 years with the lucky rich ones! A strong military defends the border settlements from raiders and vikings, public bathes and the aquaduct provide fresh drinking water and hygene, public schools provide education and the elections while favoring the rich and connected are based on "One Man, One Vote" and anyone with enough support can become a Senator.

Basically I took Rome, removed Slavery and polished it down so it more resembles the modern United States and is more "theme park" Rome really, even to the point I have them use Canadian army ranks (author appeal).

But there's a downside, the Republic practices apatheid towards Humans, "The Tyrian Burdon" so to speak, Humans cannot vote, they have SOME rights but only very basic ones and dissent and demonstrations or protests are crushed with ruthless force, humans live in ghettos, cannot serve in the military unless they're a Israelite* and pretty much denied any significant participation in the Republic despite a good number of humans would be willing to do so and be loyal, afterall it sucks living as a dirt farmer in a mud house in Middle Aged poverty.

So damned if you live outside the borders and damned if you live inside, the idea here to make it grey and gray morality whenever the subject turns to Humans and their treatment with no clear answer and forces Drake who slowly gains political importance will soon inherit "The Human Question" and will have to grapple with it and how to handle it.

[*In this world, some people were probably wondering did they ever steal humans from Earth? The Answer is yes, including Jewish people from different time periods, I am treading this line carefully, very carefully and discuss it deeply with my Orthodox friends. But basically the Jewish People at first served with some reluctance the Dragons under the same rational judea may have served the Romans, protection for service with them becoming proficient and much feared and respected warriors (BadAss Israeli) but when the Dragons demanded worship from them the New Israelites having been the only Humans who maintained their unique ethnocultural and religious identity refused entirely and were exiled and forced into a migration and diaspora on this world too.

Eventually they meet up with the migrating Tyrians and help each other out and similar to how modern Israelies befriended the Druze the Tyrians grew to respect and befriended the Israelites and considered them distinct and separate from the rest of humanity who they feared and hated for fighting against them during their rebellion despite being in the same boat.

(Humans were usually always jealous of the special treatment Dracos/Tyrians recieved so when the chance came to take their place they took it gleefully)

So when the Tyrians founded the Republic they parted ways with the New Israelites who went to found a new Israel but some stayed and were the only humans explicitly given equal rights to Tyrians.]

http://i46.tinypic.com/30c26hc.png

I toyed with the idea of making this a webcomic and may still do so, oh and beware Oots-Style art [Wink]

4. Salazar; High Fantasy; Politics; War; Seinen

This is pretty much why I first came up with the idea of merging all my ideas together, as I wanted to make a story about a Dark Elf 'Wizard who Becomes a God Succeeds But Becomes a Eldritch Star God' where he's from a vaguely Chinese Fantasy counterpart culture and his early life is that of a mountain hermit wizard who comes down to help a Warlord become Emperor of Kathay.

But I also really wanted to work on by Draconian-Expy story...

So wait, I have a map, and I have a region where China could go... Why not merge them!?

So voila, this takes place about 300 years in the past of SPQT and deals with how Kathay/Han/Zhou/Whatevs (Instanbul Not Constantinople!) got united as one nation under one Emperor at the sametime as how Raenir got to become an all powerful mage, quite-o-bit of crossover material as he has to struggle against rival wizards from the Republic later on.

And then when Raenir "Succeeds" is when he starts becoming an influence in all of my other stories, a multi story Big Bad or a very sinister meddling influence in EACH of my above stories except the WWIII one, and at some point characters from all of them get together to stop him, or try to, I haven't decided yet if they succeed (and this ultimately becomes Lovecraft Lite or fail; Cosmic Horror).

[Basically Raenir when he first succeeds is stopped and imprisoned in an interdimensional fortress at the border of reality, he uses his significant power to "poke" other worlds to find one where he can enter, regain his strength and then burn reality to cinders and the stories are basically the characters slowly coming to realize this threat and working to stop it.]

Story That I Intend As a One Off But Fits With The Above.
Haven't got a name for it, but Psychological Horror, maybe a tongue in cheek working title of "Unlucky Star" [Wink]

Basically I was reading tvtropes one morning (technically ALL night AND morning) when I discovered that there's apparantly a Lucky Star Darkfic about the firdge horror ramifications of what would happen when they graduated and ended up separating when going to college, etc and this inspired me.

So the premise is that you have four friends who are attending different colleges who were childhood friends, all nerdy in different degrees and yes they are meant to be homages/lucky star expies, but I want to make money so, yeah.

One of them, the youngest has a foreigner as an English teacher (as she didn't want to be scared of them anymore and not being able to understand them) who has the quaint little hobby of doing sketches when hes teaching the class, not actually using it to teach or anything just when he sits down and has a moment.

She looks at it and sees what looks like an elf, posed in such a way to look introspective and stoic, interested she asks about it. He says he hasn't been able to get the imagery out of his head and has been as a hobby drawing manga and one day intends to publish; she does as well and they start to become friends in a Finding Forrester kind of relationship with her the apprentice and supprting each other's goals inbetween teaching and her putting her life and her friends back together and solving their problems with him becoming a kind of 'glue' to bring them back together.

[There's this book by a Japanese author that had a similar premise actually up to this point (in the loosest possible definition of the term, it was about 4 male friends who were fascinated with death and were stalking an old guy waiting for him to die only for him to catch them and he ended up becoming a cranky mentor figure to them but when he died they all drifted apart, so this is kinda like the opposite of that, sorta...)

But then they start getting visions, weird stuff starts happening, reality just slowly starts to stop making sense as if Studio Shaft got permission from God to rewrite reality! Eventually they discover that the paintings and drawings of that Elf their sensei has been drawing is "Alive" and looking right at them...

That Elf is the above Raenir Salazar seeking to use this world as an exit, and if he does it will end and what follows is a bone chilling psychological horror adventure into the paranormal and their own psyches with them trying to stop this somehow having to relive their worst fears, their worst memories, having their minds broken again and again from psychological torture the closer they get to stopping him as the Elf Star God is angry and will not be foiled this time.

Story That May Be a One Shot Or May Be a Mini Series I Don't Know:
Septum; High Fantasy, Adventure, Shonen?

Basically this takes place in same subsetting and period as SPQT, Septum is a member of the for lack of a better name right now Inquisition, he hunts down rogue mages who are traitors to the Republic (as magic is heavily regulated), he has a magic shotgun and a magic revolver that are specially designed for fighting mages, constructs and demons, despite coming from an ancient line of mages he is actually the last of his line (his clan decimated in the ancient past for reasons unknown and slowly dying out) and has zero skill in magic, he can skillfully use basic simply rituals and magic items and understands magic theory but is otherwise incapable of using magic itself directly.

This makes him a perfect agent as most tend to get corrupted from temptation and he thus becomes the only one 'They' can trust on important assignments, he's a [s]Draconian[/s] Tyrian who wears a bad ass trenchcoat and sunglasses as well (they're magical and can see past illusions, so it's justified and his coat holds his ammo!).

The story gets complicated when hes tracking down a conspiracy to open portals to the Nine Hells and suspects the School of Necromancy behind it all at the behest of his wise and kindly patron the Conjurator of the School of Conjuration and investigates the uncooperative and enigmatic school of necromancy.

In the end it turns out that the whole thing was an elaborate ploy to keep him out of the way with constant attempts to kill him as the Kidnly and Wise head of the School of Conjuration has unearthed one of the Super Portals used by the Ancient dragons (Continuality Nod!!!) and is going to use it to access the infinite ley energies of Hell/Abyss "Planes of the Ventral Position" natch, to conquer the world with his own army of fiends and then the multiverse!

The Necromantor, the head of the School of Necromancy who Septum discovered to be an Ancient Lich prior to this and was about to report it to the Conjurator arrives to stop the Conjurator who has betrayed every principle a mage holds dear.

The Archmage of Conjuration laughs, what can a mere Lich do to stop him? The Master of the Hells? The Lich reveals himself then to be not only a lich, but THE LICH, the first one, the one whose very act of betrayal of his dear friend made his name a taboo word and stripped from the Cosmos forever, his very name eliminated from existence and lives on in legacy as the etymology of where the word "Traitor" arrived from.

He got his magic, he got his power but the gods laughing, punished him ande lichified him, his soul was tied to his name and with his name eliminated from existence HE CAN NEVER EVER DIE and is doomed to walk the world an undead monstrosity until the end of time when the world is unmade.

Not only that, but he reveals that he is the reason why his clan was nearly exterminated for he is Septums direct ancestor, woah.

If I expand this story and continue writing it it would probably be something where Spetum dedicates himself to finding the Everchanging Book of Names so that he can finally lay his ancestor to rest while balancing his work in the Inquisition and his missions with the Necromantor slowly learning to rediscover his humanity providing insight and aid to his underlings while also the books would explore the nature of magic and the culture behind "Eastern" magic while "Salazar" explored "Western" magic.

So, wall of text later and I suspect everyone who started reading this is probably dead by now, thoughts and constructive criticism welcome, I am only vaguely aware of copywrite law and am fairly worried about losing my first rights for publishing even it is only summaries and ideas expressed here and reserve the right to later on eventually take this down if I get serious.

Any input welcome, ideally this is better suited having multiple threads for it, and will probably get very confusing if people get interested in this and different people are discussing different things but then again it might be more much more annoying if I cluttered the forums with half a dozen pages so, compromises!

So thoughts? I am still grappling with which stories I'ld want to draw out and make my own manga out of as I'm slowly investing into learning how to draw or might commission people to draw for me, feed back on that front on which ones might work better initially as a visual medium welcome.

I need a blog 0.o

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I'ld be interested in seeing what you got.
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

So, the answer is "no, I haven't written anything" then?
Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I got one chapter of "Levi" done, I'm pretty sure I wrote it somewhere up there.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I got really good writing advice recently.

It went like this: write.

Seriously, though, the advice was to spend one week with no media. No TV, no reading, no gaming, and no internet. By drastically decreasing your input you're forced to amp your output way up. It'd be a worthwhile experiment for you.

Of course, I have 20 bucks that says you can't do it.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

A week seems excessive... For just 20$ Anyways.

Anyone know what verbal tics are specific to Slavic languages?

0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Blayne, instead of all this planning, and researching Slavic verbal ticks, have you tried just... writing?
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
A week seems excessive... For just 20$ Anyways.

It's not the money; it's the principle. Since you're addicted to the internet, and haven't done anything even approaching productive creative work in the 5+ years I've seen you around these forums, you might consider it. You'll live quite a few of them before it's all said and done.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by 0Megabyte:
Blayne, instead of all this planning, and researching Slavic verbal ticks, have you tried just... writing?

I have a chapter written, although for some parts of what I'm writing, like for the SPQT series, requires significant Tolkien-ish levels of world building before hand as I intend to make my own game system and story setting with it, something akin to a tabletop MMORPG with the map, tables, geography, cities, quest generators all availiable to the DM so there would be limited need for any prep work, it's all done for you.

Essentially a system to solve "derailing" you make your main story and then whenever they go off the rails the lands are already made for them and a quest generator availiable to give them unlimited content while the DM subtly does things to bring them back onto the rails, less work and more helpful for newer GMs who might need practice with brainstorming divergences.

0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Blayne, in an entire year you've written one chapter. You've done other, unrelated stuff, sure, but in writing, you've done one chapter, as you just said.

I mean, it really takes more than an entire year to do this world-building? How much are you actually going to use in the novel?

You're making an entire game system along with this, and using it as a game setting for use with this system?

Blayne, just write something, for God's sakes. Either do it or don't.

Write a chapter this week. Or better yet, and I'm not joking, write a short story. Not a finished, final draft, a first draft is fine. When I'm done with this script in the next few days, I'll join you. I need to do more work too. I need to write, too.

So, next Saturday, let's both have new short stories done. Not something we've been planning, just something new, impromptu.

Maximum page limit is ten. Double spaced, 12 point Times New Roman font, for convenience. A first draft.

It doesn't have to be good. Just write something fun.

Actually, you know what? I'm tipsy from being out drinking, and this sounds like a great idea. I think I'll make a new thread about it, either tonight or tomorrow.

It could be, like, a fun game all of us could play. Like a writer's group. It would be awesome, and I've totally forgotten that I suggested this as a challenge to Blayne, I totally want to do it on its own merits now for the hell of it.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Yes I do know. I don't think the information will be helpful to you however, so I am witholding it.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

(Post Edited by Janitor Blade.)
You could have not said anything of course and not deliberately ticked me off, but you chose to do so anyways, so screw you and stay out of my thread if your going to be an unhelpful douchbag.

And in the end a futile act of douchbaggery because I can ask the same question of tvtropes and probably get around 5 answers within a day.

for example:

quote:

Or a thing I haven't yet seen, but as English language calls almost anything not a man or woman "it", you may have your Slavic speaker slip hes and shes where they don't belong.

Or

quote:

Well, the trick commonly used is the lack of "the", "a", "an", and this sort of thing. Also there may be some use of weird sentence structure, like, dunno, "X I am" being just as good as "I am X"... I guess there's more, but here I'm like that fish having no word for water.

... ... ...

As lord Gacek said, sentence structure is interchangeable. Also, there is singular and plural "you" - the latter is more formal and more commonly used.

Oh, and whatever you do, please don't use my writing pattern as an example. It is my personal weirdness, not Russian standard=)

[ January 03, 2011, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: JanitorBlade ]

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by 0Megabyte:
Blayne, in an entire year you've written one chapter. You've done other, unrelated stuff, sure, but in writing, you've done one chapter, as you just said.

I mean, it really takes more than an entire year to do this world-building? How much are you actually going to use in the novel?

You're making an entire game system along with this, and using it as a game setting for use with this system?

Blayne, just write something, for God's sakes. Either do it or don't.

Write a chapter this week. Or better yet, and I'm not joking, write a short story. Not a finished, final draft, a first draft is fine. When I'm done with this script in the next few days, I'll join you. I need to do more work too. I need to write, too.

So, next Saturday, let's both have new short stories done. Not something we've been planning, just something new, impromptu.

Maximum page limit is ten. Double spaced, 12 point Times New Roman font, for convenience. A first draft.

It doesn't have to be good. Just write something fun.

Actually, you know what? I'm tipsy from being out drinking, and this sounds like a great idea. I think I'll make a new thread about it, either tonight or tomorrow.

It could be, like, a fun game all of us could play. Like a writer's group. It would be awesome, and I've totally forgotten that I suggested this as a challenge to Blayne, I totally want to do it on its own merits now for the hell of it.

Due to the nature of the time loop plot I was already planning on making a short story version to serve as a prelude to the main story, the short story is the "Bad Ending" to use Visual Novel choose your own adventure parlance though I think it'll be more than 10 pages.

So tell you what, I'll get my ass in gear and finish the short story version by probably friday but you commit yourself to act on my behalf as my proof reader and editor [Smile]

Edit: I was in the middle of writing this reply in a separate post.

Double Edit: Your post went poof ???

0Megabyte
Member # 8624

I will do as I said, no more or less. I won't be your editor, but I'm writing my own things at the same time. Friday or Saturday, then. We'll both post a short story.

Edit: You answered my question, so my post wasn't needed.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Boooooooooooooo *throws peanuts*

I'll continue my writing tomorrow then.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Attention Russian EVE Online players, when I ask in your channel for someone whose bilingual to help me out, I meant it! Emphasis on the bilingual english AND Russian [Big Grin]
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Although "Wait." They may have accidently given me an actual verbal tic there, 13 times during the conversation! From two different people!
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Which makes you an asshole, end of story.

You could have not said anything of course and not deliberately ticked me off, but you chose to do so anyways, so screw you and stay out of my thread if your going to be an unhelpful douchbag.

And in the end a futile act of douchbaggery because I can ask the same question of tvtropes and probably get around 5 answers within a day.

for example:

quote:

Or a thing I haven't yet seen, but as English language calls almost anything not a man or woman "it", you may have your Slavic speaker slip hes and shes where they don't belong.

Or

quote:

Well, the trick commonly used is the lack of "the", "a", "an", and this sort of thing. Also there may be some use of weird sentence structure, like, dunno, "X I am" being just as good as "I am X"... I guess there's more, but here I'm like that fish having no word for water.

... ... ...

As lord Gacek said, sentence structure is interchangeable. Also, there is singular and plural "you" - the latter is more formal and more commonly used.

Oh, and whatever you do, please don't use my writing pattern as an example. It is my personal weirdness, not Russian standard=)

Heh. Those aren't "ticks." And I love that you now think you're an expert in Slavic languages despite the fact that you don't speak any and have never tried to learn one. Give you a month and you'll forget you ever revealed your ignorance, and you'll be spouting off second hand crap as if you came up with the observation yourself. That's why I don't attempt to help you. Cause it only makes it worse.

See, you're the type of person who thinks he knows about something because someone gave him a small piece of out-of-context trivia that he now gets to use as a bludgeon later on. "I know x about Slavic languages! See? Seee??" When you don't understand *why* sentence structure in those languages differs, why certain changes are made in English a result of the arrangement of tenses in Russian or Polish or Czech, why prepositions are witheld or interchanged because Slavic languages are synthetic, and not analytical. You don't care about all that crap because understanding it would actually force you to conduct an intellectual endeavor who's actual goal is implicit understanding, rather than a scrap-heap of useless supposed "facts" that allow you to construct dubious syllogisms that "prove" whatever point you're attempting to make, for no other reason that *you* are making it. You are lazy, and vain, and arrogant, and more importantly, you're annoying, and you're obvious.

And if tvtropes is so helpful... maybe you should post your crap *there!* Or just go on acting like you know more than we do while you ask us how to do the simplest things because you're too lazy or incompetent to manage them yourself.

Because I'm not trying to write some crappy fan-boy novel nobody in their right mind would ever attempt to read, and I *still* managed to learn more useful stuff about the *subject matter you are dealing with* in the last year than you did. Know how I did that? I care about *understanding* things, even more than I care about people knowing how smart and special I am- and it's easy to see I care about that too.

[ January 02, 2011, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: Orincoro ]

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:

Heh. Those aren't "ticks." And I love that you now think you're an expert in Slavic languages

You're an idiot, when did I claim I was an expert? Maybe you should take care of whatever personal problems your dealing with before taking it out on me.

You are once more refusing to be of any help, you might as well have stopped posting and the content of this thread would have actually increased from your absence.

I mean c'mon, fanboy novel? Did you even read? Can you even read? How would you know its fanboy anything? There's only two Russian characters in that particular one and one of them is based off of my real life Canadian assimilated Russian friend whose grandmother was born in Belarus and has dozens of ethnic Russian friends in Toronto.

I mean clearly you view me with such contempt that it's also "obvious" that you would refuse to even so much as skim my post outlining my ideas because gasp, finding out that some of them may be interesting would cause your skin to shrivel up.

I'm looking for some basic tics in the interest of making the character, a female highschool student with a Russian grandfather, moe, nothing more nothing less not fanboy anything.

[ January 02, 2011, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: Blayne Bradley ]

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

And to answer your question it is because this is Hatrack, where I care about the community and the opinions of the people within it and view it as a source of inspiration and encouragement, I post it here and whereever else I may feel I would recieve positive feedback.

Can you actually come up with a valid reason why I shouldn't post my ideas here? Why I should be asking for help or input? That there's something specific to Hatrack why I shouldn't do it here, or is it because you don't like, you think there may be some silent disapproving majority that also doesn't like me, and feel I shouldn't be wasting bandwidth?

The answer of course is that you actually cannot come up with that valid reason, and yet you lack the decency or maturity to stay out of this thread when you know, point blank, matter of factly that there is nothing I can say or do to get you to bite down hard on your hand/pride to keep you from lashing out at your keyboard.

I asked for help, you refuse to give that help, end of story, don't bother rationalizing it with personal attacks.

You've loooooong since divorced yourself from the position of some kind of objective observer of my immaturities/short temper and now deliberatly doing your best to provoke it.

You withhold knowledge not because you honestly think I couldn't make good use out of it, but out of spite stop pretending its anything but.

Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

Orincoro, it's a really minor quibble and I wasn't going to say anything, but it's come up twice in this thread and each time it jarred me out of what you were saying.

It's "withhold" (or withheld) with two Hs. Just so you know. [Smile]

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

If you honestly actually did care about this subject matter you would go out of your way to make sure I was dealing with it correctly. Regardless of personal feeling for that person, that is the definition of an Otaku-Anything, thus you are not actually all that into Slavic cultures and languages, just a casual observer.

You probably don't even know all that much, probably can't even recall a single tic that an English speaker would catch onto as noticible.

Its very easy for you to claim I don't know anything if you can take the easy cop out and hide behind self righteous indignation as an excuse.

So I think it's official, you don't actually know anything about Russia, Eastern Europe, probably never even gone to the Czech republic and probably just hiding out somewhere in Kansas.

I mean, if you were a decent person, you wouldn't have wasted such a perfectly timed moment to make some headway to make peace with me by actually offering help, a compromise, but instead not only do you refuse to give help although I didn't specifically ask you, but you outright post that you "know this but won't tell you, nyah nyah nyah".

So there we go.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

No, Blayne, I'd like you to go away. I don't want you to deal with this subject matter. I care about it. You don't. It's insulting to me that you would presume to use what I know to make yourself look intelligent and knowledgeable. It's galling to see you do this so blatantly- I even remember the days when you would cut and paste witticisms from other websites for use in your rants here. People don't forget things like that.

quote:
thus you are not actually all that into Slavic cultures and languages, just a casual observer.
No, I speak and understand Czech, middlingly well. Which is a lot more than you can say for yourself. It in fact *isn't* much, but I'm quite proud of my accomplishments. I am not so egotistical as to need to demonstrate that knowledge to you, because I don't want to help you. I don't want anyone to help you. I want you to stop all this.

But "into it" no, I'm not a geek about slavic languages or cultures or history. It's fascinating, and I study the history and language because it helps me understand places, and people, and things, but it isn't "my thing," to speak Slavic languages. And yet, despite not being an obsessive geek-boy with no friends, I've managed to understand quite a bit about the subject. A subject you have claimed to be interested in for years, and know so very little about.

quote:
Can you actually come up with a valid reason why I shouldn't post my ideas here?
Your ideas are bad. Your ideas are annoying. Your ideas are pathetic reflections of your own inadequacies. Your ideas will never go anywhere, but you will talk about them and reference them as if they represent some actual body of work you have created, and that is annoying. Your ideas, if they are not creative ones, are usually wrong. You are unable to understand why this is. That is also aggravating.

On the more personal side, some reasons include: This is an exceedingly large waste of your time, and it along with your general addiction to the internet is causing serious problems in your life, and has for a very long time. This is also a waste of our time, but for different reasons. Also, the acknowledgement you get, even the negative attention, from the internet is the reason you are addicted to it. That is why you have posted hundreds, literally hundreds of stupid threads on this forum alone. It's like sticking a needle in your arm. This is a drug. And drugs are bad for you.

Posting here about your ideas also does not help you to accomplish anything. If you were more highly motivated, or competent, or mature, it might help you. But this is not helping you, it is making things worse. It is giving you a sense of accomplishment you have not earned- again, that's just all about your addiction. That's why you play mmorpgs, post here, post other places, complain, talk about your web comic, follow politics only *just* enough to have a rough opinion on things, dabble in cultures only just enough to seriously misunderstand things, talk about your family, bring up your problems even though you know the mature thing to do would be deal with them in the ways you desperately don't want to, etc, etc, etc, etc.

I no longer think much of you. There was a time when I thought that might change, but now I know it probably never will. So, indeed, there we go.

[ January 02, 2011, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: Orincoro ]

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
No, Blayne, I'd like you to go away. I don't want you to deal with this subject matter. I care about it. You don't. It's insulting to me that you would presume to use what I know to make yourself look intelligent and knowledgeable. It's galling to see you do this so blatantly- I even remember the days when you would cut and paste witticisms from other websites for use in your rants here. People don't forget things like that.
Derp.

quote:

No, I speak and understand Czech, middlingly well. Which is a lot more than you can say for yourself. It in fact *isn't* much, but I'm quite proud of my accomplishments. I am not so egotistical as to need to demonstrate that knowledge to you, because I don't want to help you. I don't want anyone to help you. I want you to stop all this.

Narf.

quote:

Your ideas are bad. Your ideas are annoying. Your ideas are pathetic reflections of your own inadequacies. Your ideas will never go anywhere, but you will talk about them and reference them as if they represent some actual body of work you have created, and that is annoying. Your ideas, if they are not creative ones, are usually wrong. You are unable to understand why this is. That is also aggravating.

On the more personal side, some reasons include: This is an exceedingly large waste of your time, and it along with your general addiction to the internet is causing serious problems in your life, and has for a very long time. This is also a waste of our time, but for different reasons. Also, the acknowledgement you get, even the negative attention, from the internet is the reason you are addicted to it. That is why you have posted hundreds, literally hundreds of stupid threads on this forum alone. It's like sticking a needle in your arm. This is a drug. And drugs are bad for you.

Posting here about your ideas also does not help you to accomplish anything. If you were more highly motivated, or competent, or mature, it might help you. But this is not helping you, it is making things worse. It is giving you a sense of accomplishment you have not earned- again, that's just all about your addiction. That's why you play mmorpgs, post here, post other places, complain, talk about your web comic, follow politics only *just* enough to have a rough opinion on things, dabble in cultures only just enough to seriously misunderstand things, talk about your family, bring up your problems even though you know the mature thing to do would be deal with them in the ways you desperately don't want to, etc, etc, etc, etc.

I no longer think much of you. There was a time when I thought that might change, but now I know it probably never will. So, indeed, there we go.

I haven't played maybe more then 10 hour in total of any combination of MMORPGs this past month (Dec).

But aside from that I'm fairly certain you won't listen to me whatever I say or do, so maybe someone else, probably JanitorBlade should talk to you instead.

But I won't stop posting here, I won't stop working on my story(ies), and I won't stop working on adding Russian related things into my work.

Since clearly continuing to do these things and succeeding at them will ultimately be the best way clearly to annoy you since you care so much about this like the loveable cuddly lil' snowflake you are.

You still have yet to define Blayne moment or how a Russian alchemist gaining power from sucking breast milk to power his alchemy through Orthodox Russian faith can reach mainstream success as an anime in Japan but somehow high school students fighting Lovecraftian Horrors with 1 character being Russian somehow can't.

Clearly there's a demographic for anything.

So c'mon, I dare you go through my ideas one by one and show me what's objectionable, c'mon if you have a point to prove do so.

And no I'm totally not trying to trick you to providing constructive criticism at all.

I just simply know you can't and would be say 5$ that your incapable of doing so.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

HAH! Well if you can't win, just complain to somebody else. A winning strategy buddy.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

So you object to me reporting your breach of the ToS and blatant personal attacks? Well good day sir!
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

This is an Actual Anime That Is Successful on Mainstream TV

quote:

The story chronicles the school lives of Mafuyu Oribe and Tomo Yamanobe at the Japanese Eastern Orthodox school St. Mihailov Academy where they have endured persecution and ostracization from the other students led by the daughter of the current dean Miyuri Tsujidou and her second-in-command Hana Katsuragi. Mafuyu and Tomo's lives take a drastic turn when they nurse the silver-haired Russian-born Aleksander "Sasha" Nikolaevich Hell back to health upon encountering him unconscious during their home commute one day. Almost immediately, Sasha begins to repay Mafuyu and Tomo's humanitarianism as he repels their tormentors; unfortunately, this does not change Sasha's prologue as a throw-away Qwaser from the Adepts and that the Adepts have no qualms about making an absolute war zone of the Academy in order to acquire the Theotokos of Tsarytsin from Athos who wishes to keep the icon's existence a secret from the world.

Athos -- an espionage and special operations agency of the Eastern Orthodox Church not unlike the CIA or the FBI in the United States and even Interpol whose alpha objective is to prevent the Theotokos of Tsarytsin from becoming global community discourse. The inception of the series depicts the Iron Qwaser Aleksander "Sasha" Nikolaevich Hell performing this function alongside his Maria Magdalen partner Teresa.

Maria Magdalen -- designation given to the alter-ego combat partner of a Qwaser whose primary function is to provide soma not unlike how one may refuel a car or even a warplane while in flight. In the series, Sasha and Ekaterina each demonstrate that the relationship between a Qwaser and its Maria Magdalen can vary on the spectrum of being purely professional to very personal.

Qwaser -- any of the anthropoid beings who possess supernatural powers affording them utility over a single chemical element. This specialized utility can vary widely in quality between different Qwasers and even under different circumstances; in order to maintain this specialized utility, it is necessary for a Qwaser to always have an adequate supply of soma.

Soma -- the sacred substance that fuels a Qwaser's elemental powers especially in battle. Whenever a Qwaser is replenishing its soma by breastfeeding from a nubile maiden, the Qwaser is draining away the maiden's life force through the breast milk whose quality and potency can be magnified (or diminished) by the situational emotions of the maiden not unlike how coffee or tea is sometimes modified by adding cream or sugar. The personality of the quarry maiden also plays a role as well; although in the case of very childlike maidens like Tomo, this ends up working to the Qwaser's detriment. Even then, the perspective is that the benefits are worth the risk since Ekaterina tries to capitalize upon Hana's sadomasochism for this reason.

Theotokos of Tsarytsin -- the legendary icon depicting the Virgin Mary breastfeeding an infant Jesus fabled to alter the homeostasis of the world.

Twelve Adepts -- a religious sect whose leadership comprises thirteen Qwasers whose alpha objective is to acquire the Theotokos of Tsarytsin in order to purify what they see as pollution in the world using the secrets of the Sacred Mysteries. The Adepts' ancillary beta objective is to accumulate a huge reserve of high-quality soma by kidnapping nubile maidens and torturing them into becoming human storage tanks. Sasha's vendetta with the Adepts lies in their gamma ancillary objective of manufacturing high-level Qwasers through barbaric and medieval practices.

I mean, for as long as my above ideas are aimed at principally anime fans for most and former Tom Clancy fans for the first one how can they be bad ideas?

Ideas can't be bad, ideas I think are impossible to be bad, only execution which say as you will isn't "set in stone" until I write and post something, and if my feedback from the Hatrack Writing forum says anything its that sure a few things need work but quite a few people were interested in my rough draft to offer helpful suggestions.

Welcome to Hatrack, you are wrong.

I mean, Tom Clancy the most he does is have his Russian characters call each other comrade and say 'yob tvoyu mat' alot which while knowing its supposed meaning and told by a Russian Bulgarian friend of mind that yes it means what it means, most actual russians are confused when I ask them about it.

[Dont Know]

Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
So you object to me reporting your breach of the ToS and blatant personal attacks? Well good day sir!

Blatant personal attacks, like calling someone an asshole? Which you edited out of your post later when you realized it wouldn't look good for you if you went crying about me to JB?

Not only a liar, but a coward as well.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Okay, I challenge you to a duel then, choose your weapon of choice, a suitable second to take your place if you yourself cannot go.

Of course you'ld have to come on over to Canada but a triffle when its our honor on the line right?

Of course it's not 'asshole' I edited out but information I got from another source out of trust about you that after about a minute I decided I didn't have the right to divulge even if it would have had a nice effect on your sanity meter.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

Oh, I see, well, I don't really have the inclination to do research about you. Glad I'm so fascinating.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

[Roll Eyes]
Orincoro
Member # 8854

You want people divulging things they know about you kiddo? Are you sure you want to go down that road? Because I'm pretty sure I could, were I so inclined, do a little checking of my email from the last few years for a few choice pieces of information.

I won't, of course, because you only said that in an attempt to intimidate me. Trust me. I'm not the one that needs to worry. And I wouldn't, were I you, be the one talking about other people's personal lives.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

As I have no personal life except my hobbies that's not a concern of mine, also, kiddo? What your like 30? You not sufficiently old enough to call me 'kiddo' next thing you know you'll call me a mullet (despite not having one).
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Were I 15 I would still be inclined to call you "kiddo" or "sport," "squirt," "tiger," or "our special little friend."

That's good, now I know how to refer to you, munchkin.

Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

This is so alarmingly mature!

Seriously though I didn't go to Junior High or High School but TV and Movies have conditioned me to believe this is probably what it would have been like.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

Yeah, not dissimilar. Perhaps I should stop teaching. I must be regressing.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Cant imagine howld your students must feel not being able to learn anything.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

It's tough, but they manage.

Sort of like how you manage to type.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Oh yes, I most definitely massacre the english language by neglecting to put commas! Linguists must be killing themselves en mass.
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread has basically descended into primordial goo. I'm locking it.

Orincoro: Expect an email.

Blayne: Expect another email.

Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.