FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » The Ending of SOTG *SPOILERS* (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Ending of SOTG *SPOILERS*
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm credited in the acknowledgments for finding a continuity error between EG and SotG. Basically, OSC, as brilliant as we all know he is (no sarcasm there, I swear!), had forgotten that Mazer was supposed to have left Earth. So the 3 lines on page 13 starting with Han saying something like "Everyone knows you piloted the first colony ship." were added after I brought up the issue.
See this thread for the whole story
I was thrilled beyond belief for all the weeks after I was told I'd be in the acknowledgments, while I waited for the book to come out. So you see, it wasn't any brilliance on my part. I was just lucky enough to have noticed it when he posted the first few chapters of the manuscript.

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
That was fun. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Yeah, AntiCool is also mr_porteiro_head. He helped sort out the continuity error, and he's the other guy who's credited for it.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seventh Daughter
Member # 7642

- posted      Profile for Seventh Daughter   Email Seventh Daughter         Edit/Delete Post 
Besides being really sad and happy at the same time (something that happens whenever I get to the end of a really good book), I was mainly thinking: What about that lousy so-and-so, Randi?!

But a little less than a week after reading SotG I went to the Joseph-Beth Booksellers Orson Scott Card signing in Pittsburgh, and got some answers. [Smile]

Posts: 3 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

I assume you mean the book about Ender meeting her.
Seventh Daughter
Member # 7642

- posted      Profile for Seventh Daughter   Email Seventh Daughter         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. I was all set to ask about her, and before Mr. Card began taking questions he mentioned the upcoming book. It would have been kind of a let down if I wasn't so excited about reading the new book.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
It was I who months ago started a thread called Peter and Petra which I am sure someone else could find if they have time, in which I proposed that the two would end up married together after Bean was gone. I Win!

It is clear that the fact of the super splicer and Jane's ability to transport ships instantly to destinations makes it certain that Bean, a forth alein species will soon be on Lusitainia.

As for the last of Bean's children, we must assume that whatever world he went to after a few thousand years to compete will have Bean's decendants as the sole or the dominant species and they are likely either a strong threat or a cabal behind the scenes of the hundred worlds.

The super splicer that heals Bean could well be used to end the threat of these super-men.

However a thing occured to me when the image of Bean as a growing brain inside a great container came up. What if he were given knowlege of what Jane does? How long or at what point might he not aquire the ability to move outside and recreate himself? It seems possible under the rules described. The Descoladores and Bean's species will be the foes in the next of the Ender Books, though I guess they will be Peter Books! The next question is who will Bean marry? My vote... Quara! That girl needs to get laid so bad I scream it at the Book and Bean is used to Bitchiness. Remember I am batting 1000!

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quimby2999
Member # 7044

- posted      Profile for Quimby2999   Email Quimby2999         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It seems possible under the rules described. The Descoladores and Bean's species will be the foes in the next of the Ender Books, though I guess they will be Peter Books! The next question is who will Bean marry? My vote... Quara! That girl needs to get laid so bad I scream it at the Book and Bean is used to Bitchiness. Remember I am batting 1000!
There's so many things wrong with that I don't where to start. So I won't.
Posts: 93 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I don't know I started a "What Quara really needs..." thread long ago, she so has to get over her unnatural lust for Miro and her step father Ender/Peter.

Anyway OSC has said he is reluctant to use the super splicer to save Bean, however it is kind of a catch 22 for him, if they do not have the know how, the ship will not slow down nee? So perhaps he will slow it down for the children, okay fine, but there is no reason to kill Bean off to show that he is no David Eddings, there is a reasonable expectation of Bean living!

I agree with killing off the hero and aging them and giving them wives and children, but Bean is like 16 or so, seems to me he could use another lifetime very well. What if the Descoladores or some other threat materializes that requires all the races to fight with all the skill and furry that Bean can bring to bere, after all that is what we missed with the later Ender Books, the brilliant space conflicts leading to victory against impossible odds!

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jongo05
Member # 7580

- posted      Profile for jongo05   Email jongo05         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a hard time seeing Bean's ability used to fight the Descaloredes. Whatever he stops his ship for, I see Beans kids doing more than Bean himself. Three of Beans children together have an enormous intellect that could do what Bean alone couldn't I think.
Posts: 74 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
qirien
Member # 7638

- posted      Profile for qirien   Email qirien         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I was thinking that, with no cure in sight and Bean nearing his end, he might decide that the children deserve to at least know something of what "real life" on a planet is like, thus landing on Lusitania. But he makes them promise (or they decide on their own) not to have children until a cure is found . . . but falling in love is inevitable, so one of the children ends up joining Os Filhos with their loved one (I can see Bean giving his children a sort of pseudo-Catholic upbringing). Is a cure found? Maybe, but maybe not. If anyone could find it, though, it'd be Bean's children along with the Lusitania researchers.
Posts: 11 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
val
Member # 7687

- posted      Profile for val   Email val         Edit/Delete Post 
It's been about a year since I read the books about Andrew on Lusitania, but if I remember correctly, the Descalordes could actually re--write human genes. Could that ability eventally develope into a cure -- re-writing Anton's key for Bean and the children? It wouldn't reverse his growth, but it would at least stop it.
Posts: 16 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.