FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » The Ending of SOTG *SPOILERS* (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Ending of SOTG *SPOILERS*
Aeroth
Member # 6269

- posted      Profile for Aeroth   Email Aeroth         Edit/Delete Post 
For those of you who have read the book, did you enjoy the final chapter of Shadow of the Giant as much as I did?

Personally, reading about a young Ender again, if only for two pages, felt like reuniting with an old childhood friend.

I was already pouring more attention into this last chapter than I was into the entire book (not that I wasn't reading it with full interest, of course.) But as soon as I began going through that letter from Peter to Valentine, I felt like I was going through a lost chapter of Ender's Game itself.

The line, "I know who wrote it. If he can speak for the buggers, surely he can speak for me," was particularily great, since it was quoted directly from one of final pages of Ender's Game, and it made the Shadow books seem less like a parallel series and more like novels necessary for expanding - and completing - the story.

Also, the fact that Ender never knew about the final fate of Bean and his children (and his potential presence in the universe three thousand years later) was also some very well-done set-up for the linking books, and makes me even more anxious to read that story.

Although SOTG was a little more political than I hoped it would be, I loved it and I'm glad to have set aside this day to read it. The closing chapter was easilly my favorite, and it contains a series of moments that will forever shine in my memory of Ender's universe.

Posts: 121 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

- posted      Profile for NinjaBirdman   Email NinjaBirdman         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I think the book's ending was just about perfect. I also liked how Bean had a hand in setting up Jane. Great book. [Smile]
Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
While it was cool that Peter and Petra got married, I found it outside of my own image of Peter. I always pictured him dying a familyless virgin, having lost all hope a personal life in a quest for Power, leaving good old Wang Mu to redeem him 3000 years later.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

- posted      Profile for urbanX   Email urbanX         Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason I always imagined Peter and Petra getting together. So the ending was was exactly what I wanted. Come on, do you think Momma Wiggin would let Peter stay unmarried? It's all she's been talking about throughout the whole series.
Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, true. Good thing old Petra WAS there. I never would though Bean would leave her. If he hadn't, what would Momma Wiggin have done?
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
accio
Member # 3040

- posted      Profile for accio   Email accio         Edit/Delete Post 
I got the EG out and read the last chapter immediately after I finished SOTG. I loved the way it ended!!
Posts: 333 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 7461

- posted      Profile for Sammi   Email Sammi         Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely brilliant ending. With OSC's typical loose ends dangling a tantalizing carrot in front of us for a follow on book. I found that the final book brought each of the characters to a point in which they had become complete people, as opposed to brilliant children. They had learned finally that it wasn't all about them...it was about all of them, about each other. Each did what was best for those around them...leadership through love.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nestor
Member # 7460

- posted      Profile for Nestor   Email Nestor         Edit/Delete Post 
As soon as Bean gave Petra the divorce papers, it became apparent to me that Petra and Peter would marry. I dont know why I thought it, but I did, and how funny that I was actually right.

Excellent ending, im now re-reading Speaker For The Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind. Its interesting, I had forgotten everyone refers to Ender as "Ender the Xenocide" and "the most terrible human being in the history of mankind" so much for gratitude for saving humanity, eh?

However irrational, I cant help thinking and hoping that Bean hops through the future 3000 years and meets up with Valentine and the strange people created during faster than light travel.

-Nestor

Posts: 12 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

It's Enders on fault people hate him. Nobody forced him to write Hive Queen.
Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 7461

- posted      Profile for Sammi   Email Sammi         Edit/Delete Post 
Petra and Peter was the logical progression after Petra and Bean ended. Plus, OSC put the foreshadow at the very beginning in which Peter wonders what it would be like to have Petra look at him the way she looks at Bean...then quickly corrects Petra to A WOMAN. If Bean couldn't stay with Petra, I feel good knowing she lived happily with the Peter that had evolved by the end of SoTG.

[ March 04, 2005, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: Sammi ]

urbanX
Member # 1450

I'm not sure why, but I always imagined Peter would marry Petra.
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

The events of Children of the Mind form a logical progression from Xenocide and even Speaker, but it doesn't mean they aren't ...unusual.
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
BAH!ONMUINS*Y(HNE&(*#**()@ I haven't read the book yet! And its not availiable at my local chapters!!!! [Cry]
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

Poor Sid. I know how you feel. I had to wait over almost a year to get Crystal City. I had to give up hatrack for awhile.
Nestor
Member # 7460

- posted      Profile for Nestor   Email Nestor         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not necessarily Ender's fault that the people hate him. When he wrote the Hive Queen, it showed how the people has misunderstood the buggers, but the fact remains that Ender saved the human race, and people seem to have forgotten the fact that without Ender, they probably wouldnt be around.

-Nestor

AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
Throughout the entire series, I have been waiting for the atrocities that Peter the Hegemon was going to commit. My memory from Ender's Game tells me that Peter the Hegemon commited horrible atrocities, but in the end turned it all to the benefit of mankind. I thought that Peter was more like Mikhail in Songmaster. Am I remembering wrong?
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

I kept waiting for the same thing. I even remember reading about these atrocities in First Meeting in the Enderverse.
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed the ending to this one; maybe its just the image of 70+ year old Peter sitting down at a console with this younger character we haven't seen for years on the other side. (MindGame --> Jane was great-- but My favorite part of this book, though, has to be when the jeesh was reunited, with Graff and Mazer, but I guess that's for another thread.)

You know, I really liked this book, moreso than Hegemon and Puppets. Maybe its because I'm older now *shrug*

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LordBlackfire
Member # 7472

- posted      Profile for LordBlackfire           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like Card to reunite the Hive Queen Ender rescued with Bean and his kids in a future story. Perhaps a story that takes up the idea Graff had about other aliens exiting and having ill intentions. Bean and/or his kids might have to locate the Hive Queen Ender rescued to save the human race from another alien threat.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
He can't reunite the Hive Queen with Bean's kids because they've never been together before.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ostyinmi
Member # 7218

- posted      Profile for ostyinmi   Email ostyinmi         Edit/Delete Post 
I really feel like the ending of SOTG was the best ending I have ever read in an OSC book! I was almost in tears as I read about Peter talking with Ender. I was just so very perfect. In a way I almost hope OSC ends the series here and does not write a linking book. We really have the forshadow that Bean will never beable to come back and it seems to all be wrapped up very well. I think another book would just give more loose ends to wonder about!
Posts: 10 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark
Member # 6393

- posted      Profile for Mark   Email Mark         Edit/Delete Post 
You can all thank me. The Ender/Peter conversation was my idea. Third paragraph in the acknowledgements page. [Smile]

Here's the thread that gave him the idea:

http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/forum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002558

[ March 10, 2005, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: Mark ]

Posts: 94 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
The one thing that happened to me was that the emotional climax of the novel was when Bean left Petra, undoubtedly since that was the emotional part that hit the closest to home with me. The end of the book read a lot like the end of a roller coaster, you've had the thrills, chills and spills, now we just need to slow down so we don't fly through the station. [Dont Know] Which wasn't necessarily something wrong with it, just how I experienced it. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quimby2999
Member # 7044

- posted      Profile for Quimby2999   Email Quimby2999         Edit/Delete Post 
Bean's letter to Graff. Graff's letter to Bean. I shed a single tear. [Cry]
Posts: 93 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jqueasy
Member # 7085

- posted      Profile for Jqueasy   Email Jqueasy         Edit/Delete Post 
**** Spoilers ****
I agree the ending had so much goodness. I felt like it was the end of a chapter in my life reading the ender books, and it couldnt of ended much better than it did. But then I find out that there are most likley going to be at least 2 more books, shadows in flight and the one about beans missing kid. I never really like the political stuff in the shadow series but the characters are what made me push through it, and was rewarded at the end with the ender peter incounter. And the fact that bean could still make a return in later novels. Maybe i will read the enders series again soon.

Posts: 52 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I won't be reading it before a long time, but I still want to know...
Why the heck did Bean leave Petra ? I can't imagine those two getting a divorce...
EDIT : come on, people ! If I ask for spoiling it can't be bad to do it !

[ March 11, 2005, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jasmine
Member # 7370

- posted      Profile for Jasmine   Email Jasmine         Edit/Delete Post 
actually it was kinda bean who forced her to get a divorce. she planned on leaving earth with him and the babies. But bean did the divorce papers stuff.
Posts: 146 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
Bean was pulling a Mazer Rackham.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SailorNaboo
Member # 7604

- posted      Profile for SailorNaboo   Email SailorNaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Anna,
Since this is a spoiler thread and you have asked, I'll tell you. Bean wanted Petra to feel free to remarry someday (no matter how much she THOUGHT she never would or even could- emotionally) and there were also custody issues of the children that were in the legal divorce document.

This part isn't stated in the book, but in my opinion, Bean had all of these legalities taken care of so she wouldn't start a new custody fight that Bean most likely wouldn't live though (they were giving him 6 months left in earth gravity by about this time).

Posts: 8 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suri-cool
Member # 7599

- posted      Profile for Suri-cool   Email Suri-cool         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew Petra and Peter were gonna marry I don't remeber how. Maybe I read it somewhere but I just knew it... But still it irks me if feels like Petra was betraying Bean, but I suppose not, since Bean wanted that. Also why didn't Bean write and thorugh ansible?
Posts: 86 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Also why didn't Bean write and thorugh ansible?"

The simple answer: at relativistic speeds, Petra would grow old and die in the time it would take him to compose a letter.

(Note: of course, practically, this is why ansible communication with a traveling starship should be impossible. While ansible communication between planets might make some sense, ansible communication between a time-shifted traveler and a static point should still remain completely impossible.)

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that's not exactly true, Tom. Relitivistic effects aren't THAT drastic. It would only take Bean a few minutes compose a letter. A few minutes for Bean couldn't be more than days for Petra. But keeping up communication with the time differential would be pointless. Not much would happen on the ship even while years pasts for Petra. Besides, it was easier for everyone if they all just went about their lives as if Bean really was dead, and dead people don't write to you. If Bean had kept sending letters, Petra would probably never be able to go on with her life and marry Peter and be happy. Bean knew this.

Anyway, the final chapter was exactly what I've wanted since I read Shadow of the Hegemon! I'm glad that Peter and Petra got together. I always assumned that Peter died alone, and I thought that was a shame. I glad that he did have a family

[ March 20, 2005, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: neo-dragon ]

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suri-cool
Member # 7599

Yeah I like the answer she would never marry again. But also I know that they can talk. Ender and Valentine talked to their mom. Remember in book it said that.
Posts: 86 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"But also I know that they can talk."

Yep. Which is, again, baffling. Live conversation by ansible should not be possible, but y'know.... [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suri-cool
Member # 7599

Uch come onb you know I meant write letters. Not talk, here I'll quote from sotg..pg 355 first 2 paraggraphs and more...oh wait what am i saying Ender and Peter had a whole convorsations for the book thing!
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Guys, Ender and Val wrote to their mom AFTER they arrived at the colony, therefore, no more relativistics effects.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Agnes Bean
Member # 7614

- posted      Profile for Agnes Bean   Email Agnes Bean         Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone has basically already covered what I loved about the ending/last chapter of SotG (tantalizing loose ends, Peter and Petra’s marriage and most importantly Peter and Ender’s last conversation). So I’ll just add that I also found the last section, with Petra by Peter’s grave thinking about Peter and Bean absolutely spot on. It really resonated with me, down to the last sentence, which was perfect in a way few last sentences are. My hat’s off to you, OSC.
Posts: 25 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quimby2999
Member # 7044

- posted      Profile for Quimby2999   Email Quimby2999         Edit/Delete Post 
Seems Petra falls too easily for geniuses. First Dink (EG a/ ES), then Ender (SotH), then Bean (SP a/ SotG), then Peter (SotG). Once she's done with one genius she moves on to the next more intelligent guy. (Except Peter of course, but by this time the other three options were off the planet) She couldn't just marry one of those guys of perfectly average intelligence (after all there were like . . . one or two of 'em).
Personally I liked the idea of Peter marrying Virlomi. It would have been a grand way for him to conquer the world and it could account for all those "atrocities" that the Hegemon commits that are spoken about in later (or would in be earlier?) books.

Posts: 93 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

quote:
Personally I liked the idea of Peter marrying Virlomi. It would have been a grand way for him to conquer the world and it could account for all those "atrocities" that the Hegemon commits that are spoken about in later (or would in be earlier?) books.
Except that Peter's not an idiot. In fact, I was disappointed in Alai for marrying that poor crazy lady.
AB
Member # 7458

- posted      Profile for AB   Email AB         Edit/Delete Post 
I was also disappointed with Alai's decision to marry Virlomi. I suppose there is the "young virgin boy confronted with lovely naked woman" argument, but I'm just not buying it. There was also a checkmate sort of situation with the "I;ll either walk out in my clothes or without them." However, there must have been someone in that station that could put her clothes back on her. Plus, Alai could have chosen to just pull out of India all together in response to the threat.

I also want to add that I hated what OSC did to Virlomi's character. Not that it didn't make sense that she went insane, but I really liked her and I was really sad to see her fall so very far. I know that the fall only makes her more believable and human, but for some reason it hurt to see her descend into madness. I would have liked to see more of her redeption as a colony leader - but then again I don't want to add more books to Mr. Card's list. I'd really rather see Pastwatch: Flood, and Master Alvin (please tell me it really didn't end that way in Crystal City!!!).

I was also surprised that we were not made aware exactly which atrocities were considered to be Peter's fault. Certainly there was much killing in the final wars between India/China/Calif-state (?) - maybe those losses were ascribed to Peter for not intervening soon enough? Or maybe people got Peter and Achilles mixed up? People do have a way of ascribing things to people that they didn't really do.

My favorite seen was the flood. Reminded me of Raiders of the Lost Ark 3.

I was a bit miffed by Peter's redemption as uber-daddy and Petra's willingness to marry him and have five (5!!!) more kids. Peter had no training in relating to one-year olds. I know he loved Ender and all (till valentine stole him away!!!) but really - that was not believable for me at all.

Finally, I am not sure how all the threads tie together. I would like to see what happens to the ninth child. I'm wondering if Bean's progeny and Volescu's evil is related to the descolardores, of if they are a truly separate species. Certainly the universe is wide enough for the descolardores to show up on their own. I guess I have to just sit here and wait to find out!!

Posts: 32 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

quote:
I know that the fall only makes her more believable and human, but for some reason it hurt to see her descend into madness
I think that's what Card was going for. Sometimes characters aren't meant to be liked. At best, they invoke feelings of pity. At worst, extreme annoyance or hatred. Just look at Randi...
Spondee
Member # 7622

- posted      Profile for Spondee   Email Spondee         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Newbie alert!

But does anyone think the Descolada might just be the cure for Bean's condition? After all, the genetic tweak applied to the Godspoken of Path sounds like they may have given Anton's key a little jiggle without actually turning it.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WntrMute
Member # 7556

- posted      Profile for WntrMute           Edit/Delete Post 
What amused me the most about the ending was that America was the last holdout from joining the New Hegemony or whatever Pete was calling it. I can just see the rest of the world saying to America, "We are peaceful, free, and democratic now, why don't you join us?" and the American President answering "Why do we need to? You finally joined us."
It fits that whole 'City on a Hill,' 'Manifest Destiny' thing we've got going.

I have to wonder, though, if America would ever fully join, since even in Children of the Mind one of the worlds Peter/Ender (or PEnder?) visits has an 'American' quarter.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

I seriously doubt that America held out for 3000 years.
urbanX
Member # 1450

what I find to be truely amussing is Peter could be hegemon, but wasn't old enough to be America's prez.
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
Reminds me of a robin williams joke about the French for some odd reason: "F you americans! We don't need you! Oh look the Germans are here... We love the Americans!"
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
michaels333
Member # 7631

- posted      Profile for michaels333   Email michaels333         Edit/Delete Post 
Although I hate to say it, I was a bit disappointed by the ending of SotG. While the information presented in it is priceless, it is information that I feel should have been left to our imagination. After reading all of the Shadow books, Ender has been immortalized. His reputation should have been left to legend, in my opinion, not presented as just Peter's little brother. But that's just my opinion.

I also agree with the Peter/Petra marriage; it was pretty inevitable, however I would have liked to seen it left to reading between the lines. We all knew it in the last chapter before it is said as fact... I think it would have been best to stay that way.

These are just my rants though, I really enjoyed the book. I just would have liked to see more of the "Ender's Game" mysticism.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

quote:
You can all thank me. The Ender/Peter conversation was my idea. Third paragraph in the acknowledgements page. [Smile]
You know, I didn't mention it before, but I'm actually kinda jealous. Your contribution resulted in a whole chapter (and a very good one, too). Mine resulted in exactly 3 lines.
Suri-cool
Member # 7599

Ha you guys are soo lucky and smart I mean I'm in awe. That yu contributed to maiing the book, ifd it's 3 lines or a chapter it's amazinmg. I mean it's all of ours dreams that OSc decides to like somethin we said and use it.
Mark
Member # 6393

- posted      Profile for Mark   Email Mark         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL, I KNOW. My dream as well. Heh, I apoligise if I'm comming off a bit arrogant here. You can thank me AND OSC. Afterall, he did write the book. [Wink]

That's really neat though Neo. Which 3 lines were those?

Posts: 94 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.