FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dear Voters, Thanks a lot (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Dear Voters, Thanks a lot
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear adult American citizens,
Thanks so much for voting for Bush. [/angry scarcasm]

Really. I'm so upset that I'm 9 months too young to have tried to influence this election.

[Frown] I want to move to Canada.

[ November 03, 2004, 07:34 AM: Message edited by: Dragon ]

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
You.

(~)_(~)

Boo!

...anyway, I think you're taking this too seriously. I dislike Bush myself, but so what? I don't think Kerry would have been much better, with his turn-US-over-to-UN attitude.

Of course, what'd I know? I wanted the Libertarian candidate to win ^^.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
"You can't always get what you want"
-Rolling Stones

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
...but if you try sometimes, you might find
You get what you need!

Not a reflection on the election results. Just a need to finish the song lyric. Move along, nothing to see here.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Dragon,

Thank you for respecting those you disagree with enough to voice your disappointment in a productive manner.

Oh, wait.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
You are most welcome!

[Big Grin]

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno, Dag-this campaign has been the lengthiest ever, and the dirtiest in a long time. I think it's understandable that the apparent defeated would be initially angry and emotional.

Speaking as someone who voted for Bush, I sure as hell would be irritated and liable to emotion-and I know my fellow voters would be, too.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Yeah. Those Bush-voters are such horrid people, rotten to the core, making miserable neighbors and truly evil decisions.

If only we as a society were advanced enough, civilized enough, to usher in a new era in which the masses wake up and voted for Kerry!

Cats and dogs would live together! Colors would be brighter, food would taste better, and we'd all get ponies!

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Ponies? For dinner?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you can take comfort in the fact that Bush did not clearly have a mandate-- there are lots of disappointed people out there this morning who will be sure to keep their eyes on the administration through the next four years.

Kerry supporters-- don't martyr yourselves. It is neccessary that this country has your voice of skeptiscism. Even if I don't agree with Kerry's values, I see the need for opposition to the current administration, if only as a token attempt to "keep them honest."

So much was accomplished in this divisive, bitter election. I'm heartened that people were standing in lines to vote, that people waited hours to exercise their opinion. Maybe that's worth all the bitterness.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt I will ever bother to do so again.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Why?

If the process is clean, and the victory honest, then where is your objection?

(Two big if's, I know)

This isn't a loss for the American people at all-- now that we've shown interest in politics again, perhaps we can push for more honesty. This election is a wake-up call. The people are watching now.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, you said it.

I imagine there are strategists in the Democratic National Committee this morning who are taking a hard look at the party platform and candidate choosing.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Dagonee,

On that glorious day sometime in the future, there will be ponies for riding and for grilling!

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Well, you can take comfort in the fact that Bush did not clearly have a mandate-- there are lots of disappointed people out there this morning who will be sure to keep their eyes on the administration through the next four years."

Yeah, right. The same people who voted their hearts out last night and found out that born-again Christians really do outnumber them everywhere it counts.

The disappointed people can't keep a closer eye on the administration than they have been. And they can't get any more disappointed.

I am really, legitimately, a member of a minority. And while that minority can wield real power in specific areas in which it's concentrated, it simply can't stand up to the weight of the majority on a national level.

I think Ohio in particular, with its overwhelming born-again turnout driven by anti-homosexual fervor, demonstrates this aptly; even though both sides had record turnout, it's simply not possible to muster enough opposition to shut out the people willing to hate for God.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I respect those who disagree with me. But that doesn't mean I want to live in a country where a man like George Bush can win an election fair-and-square.
quote:
Yeah. Those Bush-voters are such horrid people, rotten to the core, making miserable neighbors and truly evil decisions.
Non sequitur.
quote:
Yeah, right. The same people who voted their hearts out last night and found out that born-again Christians really do outnumber them everywhere it counts.
Yeah. So it goes.
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Sara, that's not a non-sequitur. Especially by adding the "fair and square" tag, adam has made it clear that it's some attribute of the voters who elected Bush that make the country less acceptable to him as a place of residence.

Dagonee

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Doc,

You've got me there. The tone of my posts has been extremely sarcastic, ungracious, and pretty childish. But...you know, in this case, I really do feel like I'm giving what I'm getting-just in plainer language. So no, I don't believe it was a non-sequitir, even though I do believe it was the other things I just said.

J4

Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
I am really, legitimately, a member of a minority. And while that minority can wield real power in specific areas in which it's concentrated, it simply can't stand up to the weight of the majority on a national level.
So what are you going to do about that?

A commentator yesterday said something I thought was very interesting-- there was little to no pandering to the Conservative Democrats / Liberal Republicans from the opposing party. Bush came right down party lines-- Democrat = Liberal = Enemy. So did Kerry.

But nothing could be clearer, to me at least, that America does not think that way. Lots of Republicans are dissatisfied and a bit ashamed of the President's fumbling of the Iraqi reconstruction (I'm one). And with heightened political awareness, the time is ripe for reasoning.

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, hey, don't forget that every state that had a proposition for it voted for marriage to be defined as between a man and a woman and protect the sanctity of marriage (from those homo sinners).

*waves Canadian flag*

*whistles innocently*

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
What does follow from Adam's statement is that most of his neighbors (in the extended sense) have made a choice that makes him feel uncomfortable to live here.

Doesn't mean he's saying they are "horrid ... rotten ... miserable ... truly evil." Just that he is uncomfortable living with their decisions.

I'm in the same place. I am uncomfortable as a citizen in a country that is so strongly evangelically Christian and which is comfortable with our foreign policy over the last four years.

Doesn't mean that I find any of y'all who voted for Bush to be evil -- just that I don't want to live in this country because I'm not comfortable with that trend, and I have to find a way to deal with that.

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

quote:
You've got me there. The tone of my posts has been extremely sarcastic, ungracious, and pretty childish.
[Kiss] I still loves ya. [Wink]
quote:
But...you know, in this case, I really do feel like I'm giving what I'm getting-just in plainer language. So no, I don't believe it was a non-sequitir, even though I do believe it was the other things I just said.
I just don't think my lack of comfort in living with this decision means I think you are a miserable, rotten hunk o' manhood. That's all.

I just feel very much the stranger in the strange land.

[ November 03, 2004, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"So what are you going to do about that?"

Well, since the actual deciding factor here appears to not have been any tax philosophy or opinion on the war but, rather, one's belief in born-again Christianity, I can only hope that these people all become disillusioned with their choice of God. Any suggestions on how I can speed up that process?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Sara,

I was using hyperbole, of course, but I think there is an element of truth in it. I mean, it's not just that you think that someone has made a bad political decision...but to say that "I don't want to live here anymore," or "I'm uncomfortable living here now," doesn't that also imply a moral judgement as well?

Which, really, is fine with me (though obviously I disagree with that judgement, if it exists). How someone votes is a strong measure of their morality, and among the most meaningful. But it really does seem to me that if one is now uncomfortable living in America, that necessarily means they have found a lack in morality and other human qualities based on their neighbor's political stances.

But, really, we can all rest assured of this: it won't last. The Congress and the White House are never aligned for very long. The thing that worries me most now is the SCOTUS and what such a powerful GOP will do. Hopefully, the Justices can hold off retiring.

Scott R
Member # 567

You could point out that they really don't like the other members of their various congregations after all-- works for people in our ward all the time.

[Big Grin]

quote:
Well, since the actual deciding factor here appears to not have been any tax philosophy or opinion on the war but, rather, one's belief in born-again Christianity
I'm interested in the fact behind this statement, Tom. Are you being bitter, or is there evidence to your opinion? In my part of the world, even the Christian radio stations were touting Bush's war on terror rather than his stance on homosexual marriage.

[ November 03, 2004, 09:18 AM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
There's no chance that the justices can hold off another four years. It's going to be a big re-make of SCOTUS and a terrifying one, for many of us.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

BtL, coincidentally, my husband and I happen to have a meeting already scheduled with our immigration attorney, Glorily Lopez. The meeting was set to discuss his reapplication for permanent resident status (it has to be renewed after the first year of residence in the States). We were originally going to meet last week, but she had laryngitis.

Looks like we have some additional things to talk about. [Smile]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

The first two to go will likely be Rehnquist and O'Connor.

Dagonee

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is, Jeff, how long does it need to last?
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

SCOTUS is my concern, too. Very much so. Especially given the tip of balance in Congress.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

You have a point, Twink. Really, my ideal situation would have been for the DNC to gain a solid majority in at least one house of Congress, and Bush to have kept the White House.

Wait...that's hardly my ideal...let's just say it's what I hoped for.

I think this is the only reason possible for me to be grateful for new minority tactics in Congress for filibustering.

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

quote:
I was using hyperbole, of course, but I think there is an element of truth in it. I mean, it's not just that you think that someone has made a bad political decision...but to say that "I don't want to live here anymore," or "I'm uncomfortable living here now," doesn't that also imply a moral judgement as well?
For me, it is a question of feeling at home and feeling like my life as citizen is congruent with the rest of me.

This is now pretty much an evangelical Christian nation that is comfortable with its foreign policy decisions of the last four years. That is what it is -- it has declared itself.

I'll be your friend, but I don't wanna be married to ya. [Smile]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

"I'm interested in the fact behind this statement, Tom. Are you being bitter, or is there evidence to your opinion?"

Absolutely. In every state that had an anti-homosexual proposition on the ballot, evangelical christians turned out in numbers that exceeded estimates by at least 10%. In Ohio, in particular -- the only state that really mattered in this election -- evangelical christians go better than 3:1 for Bush.

The best predictor of voting patterns this election happens to be religious values. As I predicted, months ago, and everyone said I was silly for doing.

------

You know, if Sara winds up moving to Canada because Ohio doesn't like homosexuals, I will be very, very mad at Imaginary Jesus.

[ November 03, 2004, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, J4, I was hoping for the opposite. I was quite unconcered about the Congress and Senate, but was really hoping for a change in the presidency, so as to get rid of, most notably, Ashcroft and Rumsfeld (whose tendrils are seeping into this country in ways that make me very unhappy).

[ November 03, 2004, 09:29 AM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

You oracle you.

Not everyone-- I didn't enter that conversation, surely.

And if I wasn't there, it's like it never happened.

Sheesh.

Thanks for the info, Tom.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
This is now pretty much an evangelical Christian nation that is comfortable with its foreign policy decisions of the last four years. That is what it is -- it has declared itself.
Well, about half-plus-one has so declared itself.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, I find myself once again in the minority. It's an odd feeling to know that the majority of the people in America disagree with my opinion of things in general, and candidates in particular.

I don't really think the "born again" vote is a fair characterisation of what turned the tide in this election. I think people voted their conscience and Bush won. I can't really nit pick at that. I don't like the outcome, but I don't think it's any less valid if one group is more successful than the other at getting their supporters to the polls.

It's over. Bush won. And the House and Senate are both GOP-held by wider majorities.

It is now up to the Republican party to show that their leadership is good for all Americans. That they are the ones worthy of this leadership position if they want to retain it.

I'm skeptical. But we (by the only process we have) have selected them to lead and now we need to see what they can do.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
It is now up to the Republican party to show that their leadership is good for all Americans. That they are the ones worthy of this leadership position if they want to retain it.
They won't, though. That's my prediction.
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

quote:
You know, if Sara winds up moving to Canada because Ohio doesn't like homosexuals, I will be very, very mad at Imaginary Jesus.
Tom, I've come to the realization that I was an errant Canadian seed that blew too far South. It was an accident. *weak grin

I will visit often, I promise. And you must come visit me a lot, too. Send SOphie for inoculations.

Seriously, David and I have been looking seriously at heading back to Canada after the fellowship. He is a fish out of water here, and I do feel all warm and squishy up there. Foremost for me, even above the question of religious belief, is that I can practice medicine there without fighting an uphill battle. I don't have family keeping me here, and I can (hopefully) seduce my friends to come visit.

This just speeds up our timetable a bit, frankly.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

"I don't really think the 'born again' vote is a fair characterisation of what turned the tide in this election. I think people voted their conscience and Bush won. I can't really nit pick at that. I don't like the outcome, but I don't think it's any less valid if one group is more successful than the other at getting their supporters to the polls."

Look at the stats again, Bob. Voter turnout was the key, and I honestly believe that both parties really pulled out literally every single stop in order to bring as many people to the polls as they could. And if you review the survey data, it's obvious that the evangelical Christian vote and the Democratic base went head to head, and the evangelical Christians just plain outnumbered 'em.

Now, I don't doubt that they WERE voting their conscience. But keep in mind that these are people who define "good" as "what God wants," so I have trouble believing that their religion was not a factor in determining what their conscience said.

Misha McBride
Member # 6578

- posted      Profile for Misha McBride           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

quote:

I think Ohio in particular, with its overwhelming born-again turnout driven by anti-homosexual fervor, demonstrates this aptly; even though both sides had record turnout, it's simply not possible to muster enough opposition to shut out the people willing to hate for God.

quote:
quote:
Absolutely. In every state that had an anti-homosexual proposition on the ballot, evangelical christians turned out in numbers that exceeded estimates by at least 10%. In Ohio, in particular -- the only state that really mattered in this election -- evangelical christians go better than 3:1 for Bush.

I agree with all of this. I can't express how very stunnned and sorrowful I feel right now. The thought of what laws are going to be passed in the next four years truly scares me. My fear is that while everyone concentrates on the wars abroad, laws that legislate morality will be passed without a blip on the radar.
Posts: 262 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
To an extent, I think Tom’s right. But only about a third of American evangelicals are solidly in “the religious right.” I think what tipped the election is that Republican Christians were successful in focusing the discussion of religious issues on abortion and same-sex marriage. Other evangelicals, including professors at some pretty conservative seminaries, tried to broaden the discussion to include poverty, human rights, the death penalty, the environment, and Bush’s theology of empire, among other things.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
From what I heard, churches were actively campaigning in this election. Definately time to remove their tax exempt status in my opinion.
Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Defenestraitor
Member # 6907

- posted      Profile for Defenestraitor   Email Defenestraitor         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry, Dragon. Sometimes you need dark times to appreciate the good.
Posts: 236 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's better said. I wasn't trying to say that "born agains" weren't the deciding factor, but that the religious of a particular type were courted and brought to the polls by the GOP.

They have as much right to vote as I do.

The GOP has a right to get the vote out.

It just worked better for them this time. They did a better job of making this election count enough to their supporters.

This is how every election in America has been since I've been old enough to pay attention. A few issues become important enough to get people to polls in greater numbers than what the other party can do.

I think we need a change in this country, that's for sure.

But I can't fault the GOP for how they managed this time.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I intend to fault the people who voted for them, however. I can accept that the country has embraced that philosophy without respecting the people who hold it.
Scott R
Member # 567

When you put it that way, Tom, it makes me really want to jump up and change my mind about the issues we disagree on.
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Out of curiosity, what exactly is the "Democratic base" nowadays?
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Scott, do you honestly think that you're well-qualified to offer lifestyle suggestions to mourning Democrats at the moment? If so, what would your qualifications be?
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
You can move to the north east. That's pretty close to Canada and seems to hold their value system.
Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.