FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Finally got a plan

Author Topic: Finally got a plan
DocCoyote
Member # 5612

- posted      Profile for DocCoyote   Email DocCoyote         Edit/Delete Post 
After a couple of years hating my job and not finding a solution, I went ahead and figured something out. I never wanted and don't enjoy retail management, and everyone thinks I should just be delighted to take one for the team and work 60-hour weeks to fix their problems.

I have a BS in Biology that I have NEVER used and a desire to do something useful. Sooo...

Last night I applied to the local community college for a six-week course which ends up with me being a Certified Nursing Assistant. It's only about another 50% pay cut, but it will get me in the door to a healthcare facility that will help out with tuition for an accelerated BS-Nursing degree, which should ultimately put me back on the pay scale my family is accustomed to.

The course costs less than $500, and I can catch up the missing pre-requisite coursework for the BSN program.

Any flaws in that plan or suggestions anyone might have to make this transition easier?

Lisa

Posts: 230 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I worked as a CNA while I was an undergraduate. The work is very physically demanding and depending where you work (most CNAs work at long term care facilities) can be emotionally draining as well. Where I worked, the pay was ridiculously low as well, and I was constantly pressured to work holidays and weekends.

I would think that with a BS you could find something better (most of my co-workers weren't even high school grads), but if you're more interested in the possiblity of going to nursing school (I know some schools require you to have patient care experience, which is why I was working there also) it would probably be okay.

If you have a place in mind to work, you might be able to get a job with them and have them pay for the class. You'd probably start at a lower pay until you completed the class, and be obligated to work for them for a time (probably 6 months), but then you would get a chance to do the work for a while before you committed yourself to the cost of the class.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DocCoyote
Member # 5612

Thanks, MB. I'm still somewhat torn between jumping into an LPN course and going that route. Both the universities in the Denver/Col. Springs area have accelerated BSN programs, but both start in the summer, and the deadline to apply has passed, so that's another year away. I just know that if I don't step away from retail, I'll go crazy.
Posts: 230 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
No advice. Just wishing you good luck.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
It's hard to take the leap, but how will you feel later if you don't take it? I actually got in the "why didn't I got to Law School in 1997" track last night. I don't totally hate my life as it is, I was just trying to express to my husband why I was frustrated by him. Which I never succeeded in communicating.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emily W
Member # 7504

- posted      Profile for Emily W   Email Emily W         Edit/Delete Post 
I’ve worked as a CNA for close to three years now.

It is very demanding work. I come home exhausted from work every day.

The pay is alright for someone my age. I’m only eight-teen but I make several dollars more per hour than all my friends.

I find it to be extremely rewarding to work with patients who have Alzheimer’s or some other degenerative brain disease. It can be so sad to see them slowly wasting away; literally losing touch with reality and themselves. But every now and then a glimmer of who they used to be gleans through, and that’s why I still work as an aide.

If you work as an aide in geriatrics you will likely get beat up a lot. I get kicked, scraped, punched and pinched all the time. Granted, I work mostly with patients who have at least mild cognitive impairment, but sometimes even the fully aware patients will lash out.

I like my work. I can’t say I love it really. Sometimes I think the only reason I stay with it is because it’s helping pay for college, and that will one day allow me to quit my job and pursue my real interests.

I don't really have any advice for you. If you think you're up for aide work I say go for it.

If you have any questions about being a CNA or working in geriatrics feel free to ask.

Posts: 43 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emily W
Member # 7504

- posted      Profile for Emily W   Email Emily W         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh. You might want to look around local nursing homes and see if they offer the CNA course.

I took it through a local nursing home and they paid me eight something an hour to take the class and get certified.

Posts: 43 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like this direction will make you much happier. Best of luck!
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
There are hospitals in this area who would pay for all of your tuition to nursing school, particularly if you have a degree in ANYTHING, if you will sign a contract with them to work for 3 years.

I would contact the financial aid people, and maybe the lovcal hospitals, to see if anything like that is avalible in your area.

CNA is not a great career move most of the time, not when you might be able to enter an accelerated RN degree program free os cost.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DocCoyote
Member # 5612

Thanks for all the good advice, and first hand information. I'm so afraid to go without a paycheck for a few weeks, when really we are in a pretty good financial position, although we have lots of bills.

I think I will take a few days next week and visit a couple of the hospitals in the area and see what the situation is there. It's awfully hard to go from $23/hr to $10/hr. My problem has been that I've been working 50-hour weeks, and come home too exhausted to try to find a better job.

I swear, this forum is awesome, for the amazing breadth of knowledge and experience it represents.

L

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.