FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Jatraquero Recipe Site Thread - with request for new users on p. 9 (Page 11)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: The Jatraquero Recipe Site Thread - with request for new users on p. 9
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Me, too. [Smile]

And garlic makes almost everything better.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I got the 500th post on this thread! That's cool. [Big Grin]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
The recipe is now online [Smile]
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rico:
The recipe is now online [Smile]

And it looks good!

quote:
Hey, I got the 500th post on this thread!
And you're the most prolific recipe poster. [Big Grin]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starr R
Member # 8361

- posted      Profile for Starr R   Email Starr R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Dagonee posted:
Starr R, if you register at the site, let me know your user name and I'll give you rights.

I try to always register by Starr R or a close variation. It's too late tonight, but I'll register tomorrow. Sorry it took a while to reply, but I had trouble finding this thread again. The regulars here are very prolific posters!
(Now adding this thread to my Faves list.)

Posts: 68 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
It was all Tantes fault....she posts too much. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Too bad she hasn't starting posting recipes yet. [Big Grin]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
I just joined! Now that we're going to have a real kitchen, I just might have to start cooking. I would like to have posting access, too, if that's okay, Dag! I registered as Vana.
Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Vana, you have posting rights now.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I just added Tuna Burgers and Cucumber Relish. We had them for dinner tonight and they were excellent.

I love my Kitchen Aid grinding attachment. [Big Grin]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I love fresh tuna steaks. But I do not understand buying fresh tuna and grinding it, then mixing it with lots of other stuff. Surely almost the same results can be produced with high-quality canned/foil-packeted albacore? And with far less work . . . Do you really taste much difference? [Dont Know]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't the canned stuff be pre-cooked?
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I believe so. So what? I make tuna patties all the time, and they're yummy. I'm just asking whether the haute cuisine version really tastes all that different. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I think using raw ground tuna would make a difference - the texture at the end would be different, the flavour would be infused into the tuna meat more and you could have it slightly rare if that's your preference (as mine is).

Not to disparage your tuna patties. [Razz]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*laugh* I'm still not convinced it's worth spoiling a perfectly good ahi steak. [Wink]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You could use whole steaks cut to "sandwich" size, and use the same seasonings as either rubs or a marinade (with some oil and lemon juice and a little sugar) and grill them.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I don't consider it "spoiling" anything. I like the texture better, and I like it rare.
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey!

there's no zuchinni (spelling?) bread recipes - what shall I ever do with the gigantic zuch that was given to me?

*gasp*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

No accounting for taste. [Smile] Glad y'all enjoyed.

Shan, sweet or savory?

Shan
Member # 4550

Bless you, rivka! You are a dear! I'll take sweet!
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*disclaimer* I haven't tried either recipe, although they look similar to ones I have tried.

My cookbooks are still in a box, or I'd dig out the recipe I've used to compare.

Shan
Member # 4550

Well, that savory recipe looks tempting, also.

there's enough such for stuffed zuch dinner AND a few batches of bread!

How is unpacking going? Settling in okay? Happy to be in your own abode?

rivka
Member # 4859

Yeah, they both looked good. [Smile] And I love stuffed zucchini.

quote:
How is unpacking going? Settling in okay? Happy to be in your own abode?
Not horribly. Pretty well.

Yes. [Smile]

Shan
Member # 4550

Well, come on over for dinner tomorrow. You deserve a little R&R!

[Smile]

even if it's only virtual!

rivka
Member # 4859

The kids won't be here, so I'm free.

I'd love to. [Big Grin]

bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Do you really taste much difference?
Yes. Yes, yes, and yes.
Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

But are you sure?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I added my recipe for microwave meatloaf. We had it last night. It's easy, cooks faster than traditional meatloaf, and really tastes almost as good. (My dad says as good, but I don't quite agree.)

When I had Emma, my visiting teacher brought me the most wonderful zucchini bread I've ever had-- it was made with zucchini and whole wheat (not whole wheat flour, whole wheat) and had wonderful spices, a pound-cake-like texture, and a yummy glaze on top. And it was high-fiber, to help with the bathroom problems you have after having a child.

I need to write my mother-in-law and get her to get the recipe for me.

Shan
Member # 4550

It's such a wonderful thing to combine naughty deliciousness with healthful eating, is it not?

*grin*

rivka
Member # 4859

Sorry I missed dinner, Shan. I stayed late at work. Raincheck?

Given another month, we might be ready for the start of school. Trouble is, the first day is Monday . . . >_<

Shan
Member # 4550

That's okay, rivka . . . *sniff* Raincheck will be just fine! (I never got around to cooking, anyhow - I had an eye check-up and the dilation set my vertigo off so I was not the happiest of campers . . . )

School does take priority . . . I'm trying to ignore Nathan's start date of the 7th for a little bit longer . . . and planning on cooking tomorrow afternoon.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*sniff* I wish I had friends who invited me to dinner... [Razz]
Shan
Member # 4550

Well, come on over, girl! Jeesh! You know you're welcome!

*grin*

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*sniff* I don't know where you live. *cries*
Shan
Member # 4550

Just south of Seattle a wee bit . . . it's not hard to find!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, okay!

Will you put a big sign on the roof so I don't miss it when I fly over there?

Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
I added a few recipes:
Baked Chicken with Light Mushroom Sauce
Buried Treasure Muffins
Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Dip
Deluxe Chicken Salad
Navajo Green Chili
Shrimp Creole

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

My mom used to make Buried Treasure Muffins! I love those!

The chili looks awesome, too.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Wow! I saw those up on the site - you've been busy. Excellent. [Big Grin]
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a great recipe for zucchini bread. It actually tastes just like a chocolate-chocolate-chip muffin (for those of us who are chocoholics) but is much lower in fat and higher in good stuff.

There are also variations for lemon zucchini bread and regular zucchini bread. I really should join and add some recipes.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
One crock pot.
One Boston butt (pork shoulder).
1 cup of Wochestershire sauce.
1 cup of brown sugar.

In crock pot, pour W. sauce over pork shoulder. Pack brown sugar on top of the meat. Cook on highest setting for one hour. Cut back to lower medium setting and cook for six to eight more hours.

Fantastic.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have permission to add recipe's, so I'll just post it here.

T_Smith's Omelette:

Cut up an onion, either 1/2 of a small onion, or 1/3 or a medium onion, or just cut up how ever much onion you want. Don't cut up too much, though.

Put a medium-large frying pan on medium temperature, and put in a nice glob of butter. If I were to guess, I'd say 2 tablespoons. Enough where when it melts, there's still a good amount of melted butter in the pan.

Add the onions. If you want any peppers in it, go for it.

Sprinkle in:

1/2 tsp cayanne pepper,
1/2 tbsp parmasaen cheese,
However much black pepper and salt your taste buds say.

Using a spatula, move that around, and get it so the cayanne pepper is evenly spread. Let this cook, occassionally stirring.

Now for the eggs. I personally prefer 2 eggs, as it gives me the best thickness needed. Some people say use a wisk, I use a fork. Have it so the curve of the fork faces the bottom of the bowl and go in a circular motion, towards and up, away and down. Do this untill the eggs are well blended.

By now the onions/peppers or whatever else you are cooking should be done. Put them on a plate. Wipe the pan with some paper towels (careful, it's hot).

Make sure the pan is still on a medium-low temp.

Add in the eggs, and sit down the pan really fast. You need to pick up the pan asap, and move around the pand so that the edges of the pan have the egg's on them all the way around, and that the egg is evenly spread in the middle. Soon as it is, set the pan back down. The eggs should still be a bit runny, so occassionally pick the pan up and try to spread it a bit more.

Soon as it looks like the eggs are pretty much not going to move much more, put 2 slices of american cheese so they face like a triangle from your perspective (have one slice higher up than the other).

Add in the onions in the middle, but sort of forming a line from top to bottom.

Get a fork. The edges of the eggs should be toasted and crispy. Using the fork, pull the edge of the omelette on the left side away from the pan, then, using your hand, fold in over the onions/cheese.

Then, do the same with the right side. Then, if you can, fold the bottom and the top over as much as they can.

Let cook for a bit longer. If you want, you can flip it, but you don't have to.

Soon as it's ready, slide it onto a plate, or use a spatula.

Add salsa. The cayanne makes it spicy, and the parmasaen gives it a nice flavor to go with it, but the salsa makes it awesome.

I suppose at some point I'll have to have Jamie take some pictures.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You could just join and then post it there. [Smile]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
Too bad she hasn't starting posting recipes yet.

I made an amazing meatball discovery and breakthrough. When I use the leanest ground meat for my meatballs, they tend to come out dry. I've tried mixing in applesauce or pureed or grated vegetables, with limited success. But my last batch of meatballs were miraculous!

As I was mixing the very lean meat with an egg, breadcrumbs and seasonings, I noted the absolute lack of greasiness on my hands. And I thought what I could do to make my meatballs moist and tender. I mixed a quarter cup of cold water and a couple of tablespoons of olive oil into the meat mixture. I figured that olive oil is healthier than beef fat. The meatballs were very tender, moist and juicy.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

T_Smith, you have rights to add recipes now.
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
KQ, I had joined, but didn't have permission, it said. [Smile]
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag, how do I register? When I click Register, I come to the forums page, and there's nowhere to enter a username and password or anything. Is something broken?
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

It might be. When I click "register" from the left hand side I get this link:

http://www.princeclan.org/index.php?option=com_smf_registration&task=register

Which seems to work.

Try this link. If it doesn't work, let me know and I'll look into it.

Was the link you were using the one from the left hand side?

Brinestone
Member # 5755

I was clicking the login or register link (the one that said register, of course) at the middle left of the page.

I didn't get that page. Thanks.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

I gave you add rights for recipes.

I'll try to figure out what's wrong with the registration.

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.