FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Jatraquero Recipe Site Thread - with request for new users on p. 9 (Page 9)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: The Jatraquero Recipe Site Thread - with request for new users on p. 9
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
VanillaBean, you have edit rights now.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
And you are addictive, VanillaBean!

[ April 11, 2005, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie, I'm making your hummus to serve at Emma's birthday party tomorrow. [Big Grin] I'm making it in the blender, though.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
KQ, I have - no surprise - another group meeting for school tomorrow. We are about a week behind, due to me *twiddles fingers innocently* being...somehow...gone a few weeks ago. I still want to try, but it must needs be near the end. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, what do you all think of this menu:

3-bean salad
potato salad (the standard kind)
fresh fruit salad
ceasar salad (just romaine, Brianna's Asiago Ceasar, and T. Marzetti's garlic and cheese croutons, with maybe a sprinkle of parmesan/romano/asiago cheese blend)
Annie's hummus, served with mini pita rounds
curry-apple tuna salad
chicken drumsticks (this recipe, but with drumsticks instead of thighs)

water and soft drinks

Ducky-shaped yellow cake
Bluebell ice cream (probably strawberry)

I know they don't all "go" together, I just wanted to offer some variety; it will all be buffet-style, except the cake and ice cream, of course. Anything conspicuously absent?

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Katie, if you don't make it, we will understand. You can drop by later than 9 if you want, and we'll save you some food and cake. [Smile]

Emma's a night owl anyway, she'll probably be up until 11:30 or so (although she'll be very grumpy at that point!) But the point is, you're not going to disturb anyone if you drop by later. [Smile]

[ April 15, 2005, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks yummy, kq. [Smile] Have fun!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I've decided to add rolls or bread for the tuna, in case anyone wants it. Am I missing any food groups or anything?
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Only the Chocolate food group. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so. hungry. right now.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

There will probably be two types of ice cream, and one will probably have chocolate. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I'll take that as you want some of our food, Katie. I'll make sure to save you some, even if you don't make it to the party proper. We can always drop it by for you or something. Or you can come over Sunday night, if you're not doing anything, and eat leftovers with us. In any case, I'll make sure you get some. [Wink]
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Banana's Foster: Serves Two....has alcohol in it though, although most of it burns off in the cooking process.

(these directions are not exact...we found that measuring them made the dessert not as much fun to make, and depending on the temp of the burner it always turns out a little different each time regardless...

Please be very careful, this is a FLAMING dessert, meaning the alcohol you add flames, making a great show!)

2 sliced bananas
2 tablespoons of butter (real butter only)
Creme de banana
Meyers dark rum
1 orange (with skin, for zesting)
cinimen sugar mix....have a small ramekin next to you, but only use two teaspoons of it for effect.
4 scoops of vanilla Ice Cream, two scoops to a bowl (chill glass bowls for best effects)

1 med size pan (10 inch skillet works)
1 Butane burner (you can do it on the stove top, but to do it table side makes it more fun! A small camp stove is what we used)
1 zester for orange peel
2 large serving spoons

Have the burner ready to go, then put the butter in the skillet and turn the burner on med heat. Melt the butter, and then when it is melted zest the orange into the melted butter. Stir slowly, then begin folding the brown sugar in to the melted butter a little at a time, stirring frequently. Once the brown sugar is all in, stir the mixture until it turns from a dark brow to a light tan color. (we are making caramel at this point, really).

Once the mixture has carmalized and turned tan, pull the pan off the flame/burner. (make sure that if you use a metal pan with a metal handle it isn't hot enough to burn you.) Add the Meyers Dark Rum while lifting the pan off the burner, and then put the bottle down (try a three count while pouring...use a pourer in the bottle though, for safety reasons.)....THEN quickly put the pan down on the burner. There should be a burst of flame...it there isn't, stir the mix with a spoon then place the spoon in the flame. When the spoon catches, quickly use the lit spoon to light the mixture.

While it is flaming, sprinkle a little cinnamon over the flame...the sugar in it will cause little sparks to flare up out of the pan.

Do the same thing for the creme de banana, but don't expect the flames....creme de banana usually won't flame, it isn't alcoholic enough.

Fold the bananna's in. Make sure you coat each bananna slice.

Turn the heat off, and let it die down a bit. Get the Ice Cream out of the freezer (don't pull it out before this, it will melt while the flambe is happening), two scoops to a dish. Use the spoons to scoop out half of the mix to each bowl, and serve while still warm.

[ April 21, 2005, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

- posted      Profile for Susie Derkins   Email Susie Derkins         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, KQ. I'd say that if Emma's first birthday party has a menu like that, she'll probably be a very well-adjusted child. [Smile]
Posts: 285 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Kwea, if you register at princeclan I'll give you ad/edit rights so you can post it on the site. [Smile]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I'm not sure what that means, Annie, but thank you. [Big Grin]

Our theme is "duckies", or in Emma-speak, "duh". It's the only animal name she says so far, and she says, "Hi, duh" every time she sees one, whether real, rubber, in a book, or her duckie-shaped bathtub.

We got a blue plastic tablecloth with yellow paper plates and plastic cups and paper napkins, we're going to have sodas and water in the afore-mentioned duckie bathtub with ice in it, I'm going to collect all the toy ducks and duck books and such that are all over the house and "decorate" with them, and I got little wedding bubbles I'm going to draw duckies on for our amusement/take-home favors (we're all adults, but hey, favors are still fun! And so are bubbles!) We have a Vocal Point album with a cool version of "Rubber Ducky" on it, which will probably be played at some point ( [Big Grin] ), and we'll see if we can't find some clothes with a duck or two on them (I'm pretty sure she has some) for the birthday girl to wear; if not, maybe a pretty yellow dress. [Cool]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

I added a recipe for Irish Soda Bread, a great treat in the morning.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Bah. That's fruitcake. It has raisins in it. I'm going to have to post a recipe for real Irish soda bread. [Taunt]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

This recipe came with my grandmother and great-grandmother on the boat from County Cork. [Razz]
Kwea
Member # 2199

Done... [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

So did mine. My grandma says if it's got raisins, it's fruitcake. [Razz]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Well, as far as I am concerned, the argument about it makes it more Irish than anything else. (hee hee)
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Dang it, forgot my password.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, Elizabeth, I suppose you might have a point, if it was a drunken argument. [Wink] [Razz]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Beer cheese soup has been added.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Kwea, you have add/edit rights.

[ April 16, 2005, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Ketchup Princess
Member # 7716

- posted      Profile for Ketchup Princess           Edit/Delete Post 
Ms. Annie, your hummus is very good! I liked it a lot, it was just the right mix of creamy, rich, garlicky, and salty! I ate some at my party and a whole lot of it yesterday, but the big people finished it last night without asking me if I wanted any more! Please tell my Mama she has to make more soon. Thank you.
Posts: 36 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Pancakes [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I added the recipe for Bob and my wedding cheesecake.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

- posted      Profile for Susie Derkins   Email Susie Derkins         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Princess! [Smile] And I'm glad your mommy's got the good sense to get you started young.

[ April 18, 2005, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: Susie Derkins ]

Posts: 285 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Guess what just zoomed up to the top of my Recipes-to-Try List, Dana?
Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

quote:
I added the recipe for Bob and my wedding cheesecake.
The recipe for Bob! Sweet! I'll have to try making one. I guess you know it's done by the puns, eh?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

But... then there would be TWO of them! [Eek!]
Kwea
Member # 2199

I am adding the Banana's Foster to the cookbook right now.

Added: I am having problems adding this, although I have no problems viewing any of it.

[ April 18, 2005, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I have some tiny bananas. Do you think they need foster homes? [Wink]
Kwea
Member # 2199

Depends on if you like carmel or not.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Carmel is beautiful. My aunt was married there. [Razz]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Carmel? Ike. None for me thanks.

[ April 19, 2005, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Kwea, can you post the problem and/or error message?

Thanks, Dagonee

Kwea
Member # 2199

It says (in firefox) that the document contains no data.

No error message, just that.

[ April 21, 2005, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
My roommate used to tell me to lock the car doors, even in the middle of nowhere, because she "likes to foster good habits."

I would answer: "I like bananas foster!"

That's all.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Does the return to the "Annie" user name mean we're about to get an Annie landmark? [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Dag, it is added.

However, when I put the name in I hit / accidentally a couple of times....could you please clear that up for me?

Thanks....

Rob

Dagonee
Member # 5818

The recipe as displayed doesn't have the /s. This could be the recurrance of a display problem that affects a recipe right after it's added.

Oh, and thanks. [Smile]

[ April 21, 2005, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Kwea
Member # 2199

That works for me.

I learned how to do a proper flambe working at a fine dining place near here. I worked there for almost 2 years, and learned Cherries Jubilee, Bananna's Foster, and Strawberries Flambe....

I also learned how to make a Cesar Salad from scratch. The only thing we chaged in it was that we didn't use a raw egg due to libility issues with raw poultry....we used mayo instead, and it comes out perfect every time. I prefered the mayo, because it comes out a little more creamy with that than an egg, IMO.

Oh...you're welcome.

Thanks you actually, I plan on using some of these recipies at the WMASS Hatrack Picnic this year!

[ April 21, 2005, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
But when do you add the Bannanas?
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering that myself, dkw. [Smile]
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

enough achohol and you dn't need them..... [Razz]

Right before you serve, after the flambe part.

TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I am vindicated!

Apparently my homebrew burger-helper wasn't the reason he was up Saturday night emptying his stomach. [Big Grin]

It seems his stomach was already queasy from the company picnic earlier in the day.

Well, that's his story and I'm sticking to it. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

If anyone from here registers to post recipes, please either include your Hatrack name or post a request in this thread so I know to give you rights. Thanks!
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.