FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Kama Con Official Info -!New! Hotel Preview pg 13 - You can still call late (Page 2)

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: Kama Con Official Info -!New! Hotel Preview pg 13 - You can still call late
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
fugu, you and me baby.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever you say, PC. Whatever you say.

*makes note to bring syrup for drizzling on sleeping PC's face*

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
who's gonna lick it off?

[Eek!]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
keedokes, duh.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Just got the contract. They require a $150 non-refundable deposit by May 7th on the hospitality room. I guess I'll go ahead and pay it.

The reservations for the con MUST be made by 7/15/04 and guaranteed with a credit card. The direct line to Wendy for reservations is 847-763-3009

I'm reading the fine print on the food policy and have a couple questions. I was under the impression it would be ok to bring kosher food in from outside but the fine print makes it a little more touchy but not impossible. Has a lot to do with health codes. I suspect a blind eye will be turned as long as we don't trash the room. Also we can't bring booze in from the outside to the hospitality room because they have a liquor license. I don't think libations were planned in any major sort of fashion but I think that they will need to be restricted to individual rooms if so desired.

Oh yes and we aren't allowed to use smoke or fog machines because it will mess up the delicate smoke detection system.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] No fog machines? That changes everything.

*sadly remakes plans*

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Serious question: is there a place I will be able to light candles? (Either in my (and the two Ks) room or in the hospitality room.) Just a couple little tea lights . . .
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Hmm...honestly, I doubt it, rivka.
I can't imagine any hotel agreeing to open flames for guests.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

The fog machine is refering to the main activity room. So considering that this is hotel is located in a dense jewish population I'm sure that as long as you don't proclaim it in the streets lighting a candle in the privacy of your own room would not be a problem.

How long do they have to be lit for?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

make sure you request a "smoking" room would be my only precaution.

AJ

katharina
Member # 827

[Frown]
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Unscented candles do not stink up the room the way cigarettes do. (They're designed not to smoke.) I wouldn't worry about it.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

NO smoking room! I will DIE! Ack, the very thought is making me cough!

I have NEVER had a problem with lighting candles in a hotel before -- not that I generally scream it from the mountaintops [Wink] -- I only asked because of the fog machine/"delicate smoke detection system" comment.

I like dkw's answer. [Big Grin] I'm going with that.

[ April 26, 2004, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

*pencils in Rent Fog Machine back on to the To Do list*

What? It's for the room.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

I'd go with it too.

The fog machine was in reference to stage productions with a DJ. I found it amusing. Didn't mean to get everyone bent out of shape.

AJ

rivka
Member # 4859

<-- is not at ALL bent out of shape

<-- was mildly concerned

<-- thinks AJ is doing a great job dealing with all us nutty, stress-inducing people! *applauds*

Kama
Member # 3022

*makes fog*

[Razz]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Okay, Kama, I don't know exactly what that means. [Angst]
BannaOj
Member # 3206

It looks like I will be able to privately order kosher food and not have to go through the hotel service. The lady that I'm currently playing phone tag with gave me a couple of names. So how many meals will we actually be in the hotel for? I'm thinking we need at least one meal of coldcuts and sandwhiches. I can bring a cheese platter from Sam's for those of us who aren't kosher.

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Yes!!! They won't enforce this page of restrictions that I was faxed on the upstairs like the downstairs "big banuqet" halls for 100s of people. So I can bring in food, but I will have to bring in paper plates and stuff for us to eat off of. Sams and Costco Here I come.

Rivka is it non-kosher to eat off of paper or styrofoam plates? I can order cold cuts from a kosher place called Bagel country. I also have a couple other names if you are interested in having more food catered for you specifically.

AJ

rivka
Member # 4859

AJ, please make sure to find out whose supervision they are under the CRC is fine; any others I will have to inquire about.

If it's simpler to NOT have group meals, I can arrange for stuff for myself for Shabbos. No worries -- I'll be there all day Friday, and I can order things in advance too. [Smile]

[Edit: cross-post!]

Bagel Country is great! Their menu looks pretty extensive, too. [Smile]

Paper/styrofoam is fine -- but could you check that they have an O-U on 'em? (The vast majority of them do. Thanks! If a prob, just let me know.)

[ April 26, 2004, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

http://www.mindspring.com/~chaver/NTJC-Fd.html

Here's a partial list of places in Skokie. I just called Bagel Country asking about Rabbinic supervision. THey are CRC approved, they cater almost exclusively to Orthodox clientele and have a Rabbie through normally at least twice a day.

THe other two places the hotel lady metnioend are Slice of Life which is on that page, and Kosher Gourmet which isn't, but maybe you can find it.

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Oh yes and Ken's Diner on that list in Skokie is the diner I've seen written up in a paper for being a CRC aprroved diner that is great to take kids to.

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

I can remember the O-U They have to have both letters?

AJ

rivka
Member # 4859

Better link -- and note that at top, has menu that links to other info. But yeah, Slice of Life looks yummy too. And Saturday night or maybe sometime Sunday, I want to go to Mit Su Yun with whoever wants. I hear their Chinese is excellent.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Have you been using this?
http://www.jewishchicago.com/directories/kosher.html#Index

AJ

rivka
Member # 4859

Heehee, cross-post again. And O-U is a U in a circle. Oh, and an O-K (K in a circle) would be fine too, although is less common.

No, I hadn't! That looks more recent than mine. OOOOOOOHHHHHHHH! THAI! *drools*

BannaOj
Member # 3206

this one looks interesting too I'll have to look into traveling from where we will be to the chineese place.

Tu Do Restaurant
3320 W. Dempster
Skokie, IL 60076Phone
847 675-8836

Meat: Thai
Kosher Certification: CRC

BannaOj
Member # 3206

you are stealing my words! like I said travel to the chineese place might be a bit more difficult.

have you found a congregation to visit yet? IF you have a couple possibles I can give you a better idea of walk time, though you might do just as well on yahoo.

AJ

rivka
Member # 4859

[Cry] Now I have to choose between Chinese and Thai??

No! Wait! I'm staying till Tuesday! [Big Grin]

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
have you found a congregation to visit yet?
Not yet. I have to check out some possibilities. One thing I know for sure -- if the closest option is >1 mile away, I'm not going. Not in August in Chicago! [Angst]
BannaOj
Member # 3206

rivka you may be in Chicago in August but you aren't going to melt of the heat even if you are coming from CA. I promise. It might be a little hot and sticky but it is bearble, it isn't oklahoma or washington dc. If you go to the art museum you are going to have to walk farther from the train station. And it depends on the weather patterns at the time but it could be in the 80s What time are the services usually held?

Weather chart...
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/lot/climate/803f6ord.html

AJ

[ April 26, 2004, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

rivka
Member # 4859

Morning. And the good thing about being female is that I don't have an obligation to pray communally (just to pray). So I'll go if it sounds like I'll enjoy it, and not if it doesn't.

Over two miles in 90 degree weather does not sound enjoyable. Yep, I'm a wuss. [Wink] Anyway, my mom grew up in Chicagoland, and she keeps laughing at me when I mention this. [Big Grin]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

well I'd say that in august you get one patch of 4 days of 90 degree weather and then everything else is quite nice.

so it just depends on luck whether the weather hits during kamacon or not.

I can't imagine what you would do during a chicago winter...

AJ

xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So I can bring in food, but I will have to bring in paper plates and stuff for us to eat off of.

Correction: Someone can bring in food, but someone will have to bring in paper plates and stuff. Not you. You've done plenty already.

I can do the paper plates and napkins and stuff. My parents are in Sam's club. And knowing me, I'll likely end up bringing some snackish stuff for grazing throughout the day.

I forget--does the hotel have continental breakfast? Most do, these days, but not all of them. Also, are people looking to do group lunches/dinners at the hotel, or do folks want to go out and play it by ear? Preferences?

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

AJ, there's a reason that I live in L.A.! The year I spent in NY, between the weather and my allergies (which both extreme cold AND high humidity worsened) I was utterly miserable a large percentage of the time.

Winter: it's nice to visit, but after a week, I wanna go HOME! [Big Grin]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

I don't think the midwest is as bad as the northeast, but that is my opinion... ;-) I'd love to go back to CA myself... It may be in our long term plan...

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

xnera the food and paperplates really aren't that big of deal, but thank you for volunteering. Steve and I go to Sams and costco sometimes as often as twice a week.

about the holiday inn food. Kids eat free. I know the holiday inn expresses have a continental breakfast, but there is a breakfast resturaunt too. so i'm not sure. Ask when you reserve your room. If not we will get someone to order krispy creme and muffins for the non doughnut eaters.

AJ

Kama
Member # 3022

[Kiss] Banna
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Oh my this thread dropped to page seven. I just sent the contract in, and am reserving the room for $150 of my own $$. You can be sure I'll collect on it at the Con though!

All info has been updated in the first post on pg1

[Smile]

Don't know how much more I'll be posting on hatrack for the next week since I'm on VACATION!!!!

AJ

[ April 30, 2004, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Have a good time AJ! [Cool]

Side note: Annie thinks she probably can't make it to this, and as a direct result, I will also probably not be coming. If that effects anyone's plans at all, which it probably doesn't since I was already listed as "maybe" and I don't think anyone worked out room sharing with Annie.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

NOOOO! I wanted to meet you two! [Cry]
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I wanted to go to the art museum with Annie!!!

AJ

Hobbes
Member # 433

Sorry, I'm bummed too. [Frown]

And I know that Annie is too, if we can come we will, but I don't think Annie can come, and I'm not spending money on travel that doesn't involve spending time with my precious Annie.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

[Frown] [Frown] [Frown]
Hobbes
Member # 433

Agreed. [Frown]

Hobbes [Smile]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Why can't Annie come? Perhaps we can work something out.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

I'm going to point her to this thread. [Smile]

[EDIT: she's been doing actual stuff lately and not had time to check Hatrack unlike her slacker boyfriend who made time to check Hatrack. [Wink] ]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ April 30, 2004, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Juliette and I are in. Just got the plane tickets. We'll get the hotel reservations tomorrow probably.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie promised a friend she'd go to Mexico with her and consequently will be totally and utterly broke. [Frown]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.