FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So, how does one become a man, anyway? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: So, how does one become a man, anyway?
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I know it was a joke. Only the first sentence of that post was intended as a direct response to your post. Then I got to thinking about the subject of puberty and adulthood, my mind started to wander, and the rest of it was just thinking out loud. I have this proclivity to just type wherever my mind takes me and then post without stopping to think, "Do I really need to say all of that?" I guess it does kind of seem that I was ranting against you, doesn't it? Sorry about that. I didn't mean to give that impression.

Edit: In retrospect, one might think I'd have taken more notice of the 'kill a man' part. Once my mind goes off on a tangent, though, it's hard to get it back on track. Something I'll have to work on. . . .

[ August 11, 2004, 07:40 AM: Message edited by: Verily the Younger ]

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoberTillNoon
Member # 6170

- posted      Profile for SoberTillNoon   Email SoberTillNoon         Edit/Delete Post 
I was actually surprised that you took no mention of it. It kind of disturbed me that you would not focus on the truely disturbing part of my reply.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if I thought that you actually were saying I had to go kill a man before I could call myself a man, then yes, I'd be incredibly disturbed. I naturally assumed that part, at least, was a joke. I probably should have responded with a joke of my own and left it at that, but I was already stuck in serious mode by my internal musings about the true relationship between puberty and maturity, so I got distracted.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoberTillNoon
Member # 6170

- posted      Profile for SoberTillNoon   Email SoberTillNoon         Edit/Delete Post 
It is not too late to do such.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

*sharpens spear and looks around, wondering whose death would provide the most honor*
Jess N
Member # 6744

- posted      Profile for Jess N           Edit/Delete Post 
I think we have so many questions about manhood because our culture doesn't really have any established view about what constitutes manhood. If you study most primal cultures, they all have definite standards that delineate manhood and it usually involves taking responsibility for something, someone or both. Without some sort of guidance, many times adult males that should have a clue about being a man end up as big boys. They then run around making a complete mess of their lives and blaiming others for the complete mess.

It all boils down to how you think and respond to life around you.

Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, I get really ticked when I am not refered to as Mrs. by people who know am married. The people at Safeway, for example. They know my name, my husband's name, and some of them know my kids names. They know we're married, yet insist on calling me Miss Fanta when I'm in the store. That makes me so angry! I work way too hard and have way too many battle scars to be a Miss.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
I think a good rite of passage would be to memorize all of Caddyshack.
Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

quote:
BTW, I get really ticked when I am not refered to as Mrs. by people who know am married. The people at Safeway, for example. They know my name, my husband's name, and some of them know my kids names. They know we're married, yet insist on calling me Miss Fanta when I'm in the store. That makes me so angry! I work way too hard and have way too many battle scars to be a Miss.
That's interesting. I'd never thought of the title 'Mrs.' as being a badge of honor before. I just consider it a culturally ingrained reflex that I would address a known married woman as 'Mrs.', so I can't imagine why a member of our own culture, who presumably understands the usage of the words, would deliberately call a married woman 'Miss'. I could understand if they said 'Ms.', as though that meant anything, out of respect for feminism. But 'Miss'?

quote:
I think a good rite of passage would be to memorize all of Caddyshack.
Whoa. I've never even seen Caddyshack. Does that mean I'm still just a boy, after all?
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't saying that being a Mrs. is a badge of honor, so much as saying that "Miss" is kinda degrading, for a married woman. To me, anyway.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

I just meant because of your saying you "work way too hard and have way too many battle scars." It sounded like you were saying you'd earned the right to be called 'Mrs.', and using 'Miss' instead was like symbolically trying to take that away from you. Apologies if I misunderstood.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

No, I think we are saying the same thing.

It's be like calling a grown man "boy".

Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

Good analogy. I may not have gotten my manhood sorted out yet, so to speak, but I would be offended if anyone called me a boy, especially if they knew how old I am.
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
How are you Verily ma boy?
Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

*takes freshly sharpened spear and glances in Rhaegar's direction*
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.