FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Personality Test (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Personality Test
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only ESTJ so far? That is interesting...

quote:
ESTJ - Supervisor Guardians are squarely on the side of rules and procedures, and they can be quite serious about seeing to it that others toe the mark—or else face the consequences. They do not hesitate to give their stamp of approval, nor do they withhold their directions or suggestions for improvement. Like seasoned, stalwart umpires, Supervisors will set their jaw and make the call on anyone who steps up to bat. They even feel obligated to do so, and they’re sometimes surprised when others don’t seem grateful for being set straight.

Supervisors are gregarious and civic-minded, and are usually key players of their community. They are generous with their time and energy, and very often belong to a variety of groups, supporting them through steady attendance, but also taking a vocal leadership role. Indeed, membership groups of all kinds attract Supervisors like magnets, perhaps because membership satisfies in some degree their need to maintain the stability of social institutions. Like all the Guardians, Supervisors worry a good deal about society falling apart, morality decaying, standards being undermined, traditions being lost, and they do all they can to preserve and to extend the institutions that embody social order. Supervisors are so in tune with the established institutions and ways of behaving within those institutions, that they have a hard time understanding those who might wish to abandon or radically change them.

*sigh*

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I see I'm the first ENFP, so I'll post some info:

quote:

As an ENFP, your primary mode of living is focused externally, where you take things in primarily via your intuition. Your secondary mode is internal, where you deal with things according to how you feel about them, or how they fit in with your personal value system.

ENFPs are warm, enthusiastic people, typically very bright and full of potential. They live in the world of possibilities, and can become very passionate and excited about things. Their enthusiasm lends them the ability to inspire and motivate others, more so than we see in other types. They can talk their way in or out of anything. They love life, seeing it as a special gift, and strive to make the most out of it.

ENFPs have an unusually broad range of skills and talents. They are good at most things which interest them. Project-oriented, they may go through several different careers during their lifetime. To onlookers, the ENFP may seem directionless and without purpose, but ENFPs are actually quite consistent, in that they have a strong sense of values which they live with throughout their lives. Everything that they do must be in line with their values. An ENFP needs to feel that they are living their lives as their true Self, walking in step with what they believe is right. They see meaning in everything, and are on a continuous quest to adapt their lives and values to achieve inner peace. They're constantly aware and somewhat fearful of losing touch with themselves. Since emotional excitement is usually an important part of the ENFP's life, and because they are focused on keeping "centered", the ENFP is usually an intense individual, with highly evolved values.

An ENFP needs to focus on following through with their projects. This can be a problem area for some of these individuals. Unlike other Extraverted types, ENFPs need time alone to center themselves, and make sure they are moving in a direction which is in sync with their values. ENFPs who remain centered will usually be quite successful at their endeavors. Others may fall into the habit of dropping a project when they become excited about a new possibility, and thus they never achieve the great accomplishments which they are capable of achieving.

Most ENFPs have great people skills. They are genuinely warm and interested in people, and place great importance on their inter-personal relationships. ENFPs almost always have a strong need to be liked. Sometimes, especially at a younger age, an ENFP will tend to be "gushy" and insincere, and generally "overdo" in an effort to win acceptance. However, once an ENFP has learned to balance their need to be true to themselves with their need for acceptance, they excel at bringing out the best in others, and are typically well-liked. They have an exceptional ability to intuitively understand a person after a very short period of time, and use their intuition and flexibility to relate to others on their own level.

Because ENFPs live in the world of exciting possibilities, the details of everyday life are seen as trivial drudgery. They place no importance on detailed, maintenance-type tasks, and will frequently remain oblivous to these types of concerns. When they do have to perform these tasks, they do not enjoy themselves. This is a challenging area of life for most ENFPs, and can be frustrating for ENFP's family members.

An ENFP who has "gone wrong" may be quite manipulative - and very good it. The gift of gab which they are blessed with makes it naturally easy for them to get what they want. Most ENFPs will not abuse their abilities, because that would not jive with their value systems.

ENFPs sometimes make serious errors in judgment. They have an amazing ability to intuitively perceive the truth about a person or situation, but when they apply judgment to their perception, they may jump to the wrong conclusions.

ENFPs who have not learned to follow through may have a difficult time remaining happy in marital relationships. Always seeing the possibilities of what could be, they may become bored with what actually is. The strong sense of values will keep many ENFPs dedicated to their relationships. However, ENFPs like a little excitement in their lives, and are best matched with individuals who are comfortable with change and new experiences.

Having an ENFP parent can be a fun-filled experience, but may be stressful at times for children with strong Sensing or Judging tendancies. Such children may see the ENFP parent as inconsistent and difficult to understand, as the children are pulled along in the whirlwind life of the ENFP. Sometimes the ENFP will want to be their child's best friend, and at other times they will play the parental authoritarian. But ENFPs are always consistent in their value systems, which they will impress on their children above all else, along with a basic joy of living.

ENFPs are basically happy people. They may become unhappy when they are confined to strict schedules or mundane tasks. Consequently, ENFPs work best in situations where they have a lot of flexibility, and where they can work with people and ideas. Many go into business for themselves. They have the ability to be quite productive with little supervision, as long as they are excited about what they're doing.

Because they are so alert and sensitive, constantly scanning their environments, ENFPs often suffer from muscle tension. They have a strong need to be independent, and resist being controlled or labelled. They need to maintain control over themselves, but they do not believe in controlling others. Their dislike of dependence and suppression extends to others as well as to themselves.

ENFPs are charming, ingenuous, risk-taking, sensitive, people-oriented individuals with capabilities ranging across a broad spectrum. They have many gifts which they will use to fulfill themselves and those near them, if they are able to remain centered and master the ability of following through

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

Okay Tom -- see? I come by it naturally!

quote:
Famous ESTJs:
Simon Peter (Christ's disciple)

U.S. Presidents:

* James Monroe
* Andrew Jackson
* William Henry "Tippecanoe" Harrison
* Franklin Pierce
* Grover Cleveland
* Harry S. Truman
* Lyndon B. Johnson
* George W. Bush

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
code:
Your Type is
INFJ
Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging
Strength of the preferences %
44 89 11 44

Jimmy Carter, Mother Teresa, MLK, Billy Crystal

Sweet!

[ September 21, 2004, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: skillery ]

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I am an ENTJ.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't taken the linked test yet, but I did take it back in college. The initial test showed me as clearly I_T_, but the other two values were on the cusp (N & P). Careful reading and subsequent tests suggest that the N is accurate and more pronounced that the original indicated, but the uncertainty between P & J is real.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Your Type is
INFJ
67 33 11 44

Qualitative analysis of your type formula

You are:
distinctively expressed introvert

moderately expressed intuitive personality

slightly expressed feeling personality

moderately expressed judging personality

A lot of the questions were hard to answer, I would have liked a middle option.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I keep reading that certain percentages of the population are each of these, but I have to wonder if it's based on the people who take the test voluntarily. Surely certain people are more likely to take the test in the first place.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
This time I came out an INTJ, with the percentage for N unusually high for me (89%) and the percentage for T unusually low (50%). J, as usual, came out at 1%, and I at 89%. I think the variation on T has to do with my recent willingness to try new things and the presence of a question about my notoriously bad temper.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I think red heads have a disadvantage. [Mad]
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

The actual Myers-Briggs test is a bit more involved, and can only be given by a certified examiner.

I've taken it several times (my mom is in the process of becoming one of those examiners and gives seminars about this, working right now under a psychologist who has the certification) and so has everyone in our family.

I don't trust the online versions since they are not the entire test.

I will say that when we did it at a church retreat, the percentages held. We were only skewed in one area - and that was ENFP's. We had a higher number than what is generally considered a norm, but several of our ENFP's were on the ministerial staff, and I think it makes sense that ENFP's might be a little over-represented in the ministry.

Some employers now give the test before they hire, in order to make sure the person has the right personality fit for the job.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Your Type is
ISFJ
Introverted Sensing Feeling Judging
22 --- 11 --- 67 --- 89

Hrm. I've flip-flopped on the sensing/intuitive and I'm less introverted than a few years ago. Must be Tom's influence. (Or the three months of introvertness I've had. *laugh*)

[ September 21, 2004, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: Christy ]

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Some employers now give the test before they hire, in order to make sure the person has the right personality fit for the job.
Seems a bit discriminatory to me.
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

May seem that way, but there's nothing wrong with it - personality is not a protected class.

I'm not saying I agree with it - for ex., an accounting firm I know turned down an applicant for staff accountant because she was an ENFP. Granted, ENFP's normally do have problems with the types of tasks that accountants routinely do, but if said ENFP loves accounting she would be the best accountant you could find. But, the senior partner of the firm believed ENFP's belonged at the front desk, and ISTJ's belonged in the accounting team.

Hard to argue with him, since his little privately owned firm started less than 10 years ago with two people and now is one of the top firms in the state. *shrug*

I happen to know one of the accountants, and she is an ISTJ. But she was hired before they started the personality screening.

She's a damn fine accountant, too.

Edit: I don't think I made it clear enough that I don't agree, and I certainly wouldn't hire someone based on personality tests alone or refuse to hire someone who was otherwise qualified based on a personality test score. I'm not saying that what the firm does is morally or ethically correct.

However, his policy seems to work for him, and there is technically nothing that says he can't do it. Make sense?

[ September 21, 2004, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: Belle ]

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Your Type is
ISFJ
Introverted Sensing Feeling Judging
-------11----------67---------22----------11

quote:
You are:
slightly expressed introvert
distinctively expressed sensing personality
slightly expressed judging personality

I think I have a kind of contradictory personality. I love being with people, especially my friends, but I'm pretty shy. I like to organise and plan things, and yet my room and my life is almost chaos. I also like to learn things by doing, and find out how things work; I like "hands-on" stuff.
The test also said that I'm generous and hard-working. *snort*
quote:
ISFJs are often unappreciated, at work, home, and play. Ironically, because they prove over and over that they can be relied on for their loyalty and unstinting, high-quality work, those around them often take them for granted--even take advantage of them. Admittedly, the problem is sometimes aggravated by the ISFJs themselves; for instance, they are notoriously bad at delegating ("If you want it done right, do it yourself"). And although they're hurt by being treated like doormats, they are often unwilling to toot their own horns about their accomplishments because they feel that although they deserve more credit than they're getting, it's somehow wrong to want any sort of reward for doing work (which is supposed to be a virtue in itself). (And as low-profile Is, their actions don't call attention to themselves as with charismatic Es.) Because of all of this, ISFJs are often overworked, and as a result may suffer from psychosomatic illnesses.

In the workplace, ISFJs are methodical and accurate workers, often with very good memories and unexpected analytic abilities; they are also good with people in small-group or one-on-one situations because of their patient and genuinely sympathetic approach to dealing with others. ISFJs make pleasant and reliable co-workers and exemplary employees, but tend to be harried and uncomfortable in supervisory roles. They are capable of forming strong loyalties, but these are personal rather than institutional loyalties; if someone they've bonded with in this way leaves the company, the ISFJ will leave with them, if given the option.

quote:
Believing in the fantastic, and disbelieving the technologically extant, are errors that my guide the gullible (or unfoundedly sceptical) ISFJ off a precipice of mis-conclusion.
Now that sounds more like me.

(edit: I don't know my letters...)

[ September 21, 2004, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: Eruve Nandiriel ]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
INFJ - and yeah, it's accurate.

quote:
Famous INFJs:

Nathan, prophet of Israel
Chaucer

Well I'd say I'm in good company... let's hope I don't follow in Chaucer's footsteps and die before my Masterwork is completed, though...
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I'll say you're in good company. : )
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
ENFP

I have also tried it before and come up with this.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
The few. The proud. The ENTJs.

Add me to the list

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm an INTJ, heh, they put me in the masterminds... cool I like Sir Isaac Newton and Sir Stephen Hawking. I scored a %100 on being intoverted, but I also am a guardian... how fun.
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
ENFJ

Of note, my score in favor of J over P was exactly 1. That is, I'm both a Judger and a Perceiver.

I was strongly Intuitive, as I always am, the other two being moderate tendencies.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Egad. Russell and I are not only ENFJ, but we're exactly as J as each other. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I also have a J over P score of exactly 1 every time I take this test (and the full length one).

But otherwise I'm an INT. Very high on all of those.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Your Type is
INTJ
code:
Introverted	Intuitive	Thinking	Judging
33 100 11 1

Qualitative analysis of your type formula

You are:

* moderately expressed introvert
* very expressed intuitive personality
* slightly expressed thinking personality
* slightly expressed judging personality

quote:
The Portrait of the Mastermind (iNTj)

Of the four aspects of strategic analysis and definition, it is the contingency planning or entailment organizing role that reaches the highest development in Masterminds. Entailing or contingency planning is not an informative activity, rather it is a directive one in which the planner tells others what to do and in what order to do it. As the organizing capabilities the Masterminds increase so does their inclination to take charge of whatever is going on.

It is in their abilities that Masterminds differ from the other Rationals, while in most of their attitudes they are just like the others. However there is one attitude that sets them apart from other Rationals: they tend to be much more self-confident than the rest, having, for obscure reasons, developed a very strong will. They are rather rare, comprising no more than, say, one percent of the population. Being very judicious, decisions come naturally to them; indeed, they can hardly rest until they have things settled, decided, and set. They are the people who are able to formulate coherent and comprehensive contingency plans, hence contingency organizers or "entailers."

Masterminds will adopt ideas only if they are useful, which is to say if they work efficiently toward accomplishing the Mastermind's well-defined goals. Natural leaders, Masterminds are not at all eager to take command of projects or groups, preferring to stay in the background until others demonstrate their inability to lead. Once in charge, however, Masterminds are the supreme pragmatists, seeing reality as a crucible for refining their strategies for goal-directed action. In a sense, Masterminds approach reality as they would a giant chess board, always seeking strategies that have a high payoff, and always devising contingency plans in case of error or adversity. To the Mastermind, organizational structure and operational procedures are never arbitrary, never set in concrete, but are quite malleable and can be changed, improved, streamlined. In their drive for efficient action, Masterminds are the most open-minded of all the types. No idea is too far-fetched to be entertained-if it is useful. Masterminds are natural brainstormers, always open to new concepts and, in fact, aggressively seeking them. They are also alert to the consequences of applying new ideas or positions. Theories which cannot be made to work are quickly discarded by the Masterminds. On the other hand, Masterminds can be quite ruthless in implementing effective ideas, seldom counting personal cost in terms of time and energy.

quote:
To outsiders, INTJs may appear to project an aura of "definiteness", of self-confidence. This self-confidence, sometimes mistaken for simple arrogance by the less decisive, is actually of a very specific rather than a general nature; its source lies in the specialized knowledge systems that most INTJs start building at an early age. When it comes to their own areas of expertise -- and INTJs can have several -- they will be able to tell you almost immediately whether or not they can help you, and if so, how. INTJs know what they know, and perhaps still more importantly, they know what they don't know.

INTJs are perfectionists, with a seemingly endless capacity for improving upon anything that takes their interest. What prevents them from becoming chronically bogged down in this pursuit of perfection is the pragmatism so characteristic of the type: INTJs apply (often ruthlessly) the criterion "Does it work?" to everything from their own research efforts to the prevailing social norms. This in turn produces an unusual independence of mind, freeing the INTJ from the constraints of authority, convention, or sentiment for its own sake.

INTJs are known as the "Systems Builders" of the types, perhaps in part because they possess the unusual trait combination of imagination and reliability. Whatever system an INTJ happens to be working on is for them the equivalent of a moral cause to an INFJ; both perfectionism and disregard for authority may come into play, as INTJs can be unsparing of both themselves and the others on the project. Anyone considered to be "slacking," including superiors, will lose their respect -- and will generally be made aware of this; INTJs have also been known to take it upon themselves to implement critical decisions without consulting their supervisors or co-workers. On the other hand, they do tend to be scrupulous and even-handed about recognizing the individual contributions that have gone into a project, and have a gift for seizing opportunities which others might not even notice.

In the broadest terms, what INTJs "do" tends to be what they "know". Typical INTJ career choices are in the sciences and engineering, but they can be found wherever a combination of intellect and incisiveness are required (e.g., law, some areas of academia). INTJs can rise to management positions when they are willing to invest time in marketing their abilities as well as enhancing them, and (whether for the sake of ambition or the desire for privacy) many also find it useful to learn to simulate some degree of surface conformism in order to mask their inherent unconventionality.

Personal relationships, particularly romantic ones, can be the INTJ's Achilles heel. While they are capable of caring deeply for others (usually a select few), and are willing to spend a great deal of time and effort on a relationship, the knowledge and self-confidence that make them so successful in other areas can suddenly abandon or mislead them in interpersonal situations.

This happens in part because many INTJs do not readily grasp the social rituals; for instance, they tend to have little patience and less understanding of such things as small talk and flirtation (which most types consider half the fun of a relationship). To complicate matters, INTJs are usually extremely private people, and can often be naturally impassive as well, which makes them easy to misread and misunderstand. Perhaps the most fundamental problem, however, is that INTJs really want people to make sense. :-) This sometimes results in a peculiar naivete', paralleling that of many Fs -- only instead of expecting inexhaustible affection and empathy from a romantic relationship, the INTJ will expect inexhaustible reasonability and directness.

Probably the strongest INTJ assets in the interpersonal area are their intuitive abilities and their willingness to "work at" a relationship. Although as Ts they do not always have the kind of natural empathy that many Fs do, the Intuitive function can often act as a good substitute by synthesizing the probable meanings behind such things as tone of voice, turn of phrase, and facial expression. This ability can then be honed and directed by consistent, repeated efforts to understand and support those they care about, and those relationships which ultimately do become established with an INTJ tend to be characterized by their robustness, stability, and good communications.

[ September 21, 2004, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
*J's Tom*
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misha McBride
Member # 6578

- posted      Profile for Misha McBride           Edit/Delete Post 
Your Type is
ISTP
Introverted Sensing Thinking Perceiving
89 1 22 67

quote:
very expressed introvert

slightly expressed sensing personality

slightly expressed thinking personality

distinctively expressed perceiving personality

quote:
Like their fellow SPs, ISTPs are fundamentally Performers (note the capital 'P' :-)), but as Ts their areas of interest tend to be mechanical rather than artistic like those of ISFPs, and unlike most ESPs they do not present an impression of constant activity. On the contrary, they lie dormant, saving their energy until a project or an adventure worthy of their time comes along--and then they launch themselves at it. The apparently frenzied state that inevitably ensues is actually much more controlled than it appears--ISTPs always seem to know what they're doing when it comes to physical or mechanical obstacles--but the whole chain of events presents a confusing and paradoxical picture to an outsider.
ISTPs are equally difficult to understand in their need for personal space, which in turn has an impact on their relationships with others. They need to be able to "spread out"--both physically and psychologically--which generally implies encroaching to some degree on others, especially if they decide that something of someone else's is going to become their next project. (They are generally quite comfortable, however, with being treated the same way they treat others--at least in this respect.) But because they need such a lot of flexibility to be as spontaneous as they feel they must be, they tend to become as inflexible as the most rigid J when someone seems to be threatening their lifestyle (although they usually respond with a classic SP rage which is yet another vivid contrast to their "dormant," impassive, detached mode). These territorial considerations are usually critical in relationships with ISTPs; communication also tends to be a key issue, since they generally express themselves non-verbally. When they do actually verbalize, ISTPs are masters of the one-liner, often showing flashes of humor in the most tense situations; this can result in their being seen as thick-skinned or tasteless.

Like most SPs, ISTPs may have trouble with rote and abstract classroom learning, which tend not to be good measures of their actual intelligence. They tend, sometimes with good reason, to be highly skeptical of its practical value, and often gravitate towards classes in industrial arts; part-time vocational/ technical programs can be useful to even the college-bound ISTP. In terms of careers, mechanics and any of the skilled trades are traditional choices, and those ISTPs with strong numerical as well mechanical gifts tend to do extremely well in most areas of engineering. Working as paramedics or firefighters can fulfill the ISTP need to live on the edge; they are at their best in a crisis, where their natural disregard for rules and authority structures allows them to focus on and tackle the emergency at hand in the most effective way.

ISTPs with more sedate careers usually take on high-risk avocations like racing, skydiving, and motorcycling. While aware of the dangers involved, they are so in touch with the physical world that they know they can get away with much smaller safety margins than other types.

quote:
Introverted Thinking
Thinking, the dominant function, generally keeps its opinions to itself. The inner world of introverted thinkers resembles Plato's rec room, where every untried idea runs the gauntlet of Truth. The personal or political source of the alleged fact matters little to Thinking; each tenet must stand on its own premises. Introverted thinkers focus their directives in on themselves, and would like nothing better than for others to do the same. One ISTP friend displays a poster of an orangutan with the caption, "If I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you." Suffice it to say that ISTPs are by nature free spirits.

Extraverted Sensing
Auxiliary Sensing provides Thinking with all manner of information about the physical world. ISTPs possess heightened sensory awareness. And as other SPs, ISTPs are energized by responding to their impulses. Sports appeal to many ISTPs for the sheer sensory experience.
This combination of dominant introverted thinking and auxiliary extraverted sensing results in no-nonsense realism. The uncanny troubleshooting ability which predisposes many ISTPs to hands-on diagnostics (especially with machinery and computers) or detective work is most probably rooted in this pairing.

Introverted iNtuition
Tertiary iNtuition maintains a low profile. ISTPs are prone to consult "gut feelings" that most probably arise from this function unconsciously. As with other SP types, ISTPs generally lack enthusiasm for theoretical and philosophical issues, and less for the endless discussions in which the Intuitive (especially NP) types so frequently engage.

Extraverted Feeling
The inferior (least) feeling function is extraverted and, when operative, quite visible. As with all types, the inferior function is relatively simplistic and often operates unconsciously in an all-or-nothing manner. When operative, Feeling's sensitivity and loyalty has the potential for great benefit and utter peril. It would seem that ISTPs would do well to nourish and cherish Feeling judgement, but to vigilantly supervise and protect it from predators and other catastrophes.

Sounds like me. Looks like I'm the first one too. [Smile]

[ September 21, 2004, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: Misha McBride ]

Posts: 262 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
For instance:

Am I comfortable in crowds?

a: Depends. In the right circumstance, I will feed off a crowd's energy, fueling myself. In others, more often, I feel disconnected. All depends really, on whose in the crowd.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always been an ENTP.

When I was younger and in the house of two very strong J parents, I was more ENTX. Now that I'm an adult, the P is a vastly more dominant part of my personality.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
The personality types in relationships
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

- posted      Profile for Jess N           Edit/Delete Post 
Results: INFJ

Says I'm a "Counselor" and that I'm sometimes hard to get to know. I'd say that's on the mark. [Smile]

Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
THis website lists the frequency percentages and says most of the world are actually S rather than N. No wonder they don't make sense to me <Grin>

http://209.15.29.56/myersbriggs/personhome.htm

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Man, everytime I read stuff on ENTP's I get this weird uncomfortable/relieved feeling. It's uncomfortable to realize I'm so much like so many other people, a test could theorize on a "type" and describe me spot-on, while it's nice to read the undeniable weakneses of the ENTP and think, "Thank JEBUS, I'm not the only one."

[ September 21, 2004, 11:57 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm an ENFP - the exact inverse of Hobbes. [Smile]

(edit) I took it again and got a little more solidly in the ENFP range, so it lookds like you're not alone, Belle.

I found the following especially pertinent:

quote:
ENFPs are both "idea"-people and "people"-people, who see everyone and everything as part of an often bizarre cosmic whole. They want to both help (at least, their own definition of "help") and be liked and admired by other people, on bo th an individual and a humanitarian level. They are interested in new ideas on principle, but ultimately discard most of them for one reason or another.
Ain't that the truth?

Oh, and Hobbes, this explains your question:
quote:
ENFPs have a great deal of zany charm, which can ingratiate them to the more stodgy types in spite of their unconventionality. They are outgoing, fun, and genuinely like people. As SOs/mates they are warm, affectionate, and disconcertingly spontaneous.
Disconcertingly spontaneous? Perhaps... OK, perhaps a lot.

quote:
ENFPs often have strong, if unconvential, convictions on various issues related to their Cosmic View. They usually try to use their social skills and contacts to persuade people gently of the rightness of these views; his sometimes results in their negle cting their nearest and dearest while flitting around trying to save the world.
And that was Annie on Hatrack.

quote:
They come up with great ideas, and are a major asset in brainstorming sessions. Followthrough tends to be a problem, however; they tend to get bored quickly, especially if a newer, more interesting project comes along. They also tend to be procrastinators, both about meeting hard deadlines and about performing any small, uninteresting tasks that they've been assigned. ENFPs are at their most useful when working in a group w ith a J or two to take up the slack.
Ha ha ha! The story of my college career! And, as a follow-up to that:

quote:
ENFPs hate bureaucracy, both in principle and in practice; they will always make a point of launching one of their crusades against some aspect of it.
quote:
ENFPs have what some call a "silly switch." They can be intellectual, serious, all business for a while, but whenever they get the chance, they flip that switch and become CAPTAIN WILDCHILD, the scourge of the swimming pool, ticklers par excellence. Som etimes they may even appear intoxicated when the "switch" is flipped.
quote:
ENFPs like to tell funny stories, especially about their friends.
[Smile]

[ September 22, 2004, 12:27 AM: Message edited by: Annie ]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
How can you explain a shift from INFJ to INFP?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
<-- ISFP
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
INFJ

I am not sure how accurate that is, as I got kind of bored with the test questions partway through, but this statement really rang true for me:

quote:
INFJs are deeply concerned about their relations with individuals as well as the state of humanity at large. They are, in fact, sometimes mistaken for extroverts because they appear so outgoing and are so genuinely interested in people -- a product of the Feeling function they most readily show to the world.
I always used to say I was an introvert, and I thought I was, but it seemed inconsistant, since I relate well with people and easily get in conversations. So this statement explained myself to me. [Smile]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
INFJ
67 11 22 67

quote:

distinctively expressed introvert

slightly expressed intuitive personality

distinctively expressed judging personality

The INFJ's are pretty strong on Hatrack. I wonder what OSC's personality type would be? Maybe INFJ's are particularly attracted to his books.
Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
I got INTJ. I forgot to copy the results. I have consistantly gotten INTJ on any type of personality test that I've taken. Much of the description is eerily like me.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky4
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for Lucky4   Email Lucky4         Edit/Delete Post 
Another ENTP.
Posts: 186 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, Raia and I are the only 2 ISFP's so far.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the ENTP really sounds like me. And INTP really doesn't. I guess I wasn't feeling very extroverted today or somethin'.

Anyway. According that relationship link Kat posted I'm on the lookout for INFJs (although INTJs will do in a pinch).

-------------

BtL's List of Potential Partners (in no particular order)

~Most Desirables~
  • Teshi (Canadian with supremely sexy British accent available on command. Teeters with becoming INFP -- risky investment. Relationship status unknown. More data required)
  • beverly (Taken. And Porter can turn you into a human pretzel. Approach with caution)
  • Bok (Limited time offer. Act now while supplies last. Sadly, can never have children. On account of being male. But hey, nobody's perfect.)
  • amira tharani (Also comes equipped with wicked accent. Sadly, Taken. But, but, but, English accent! And Oxford! *le sigh*)
  • PSI Teleport (Taken. Easily distracted by carpet fuzz. Approach strategy: Grow long hair and 4-5 days stubble. Wear boxer briefs (there's nothing wrong with being optimistic))
  • Dragon (Relationship status unknown. Where's the matchmaker thread when you need it? Recently awakened. Potential problem with cradle robbing. Approach strategy: Bring juggling clubs and exchange tricks. Can also be used for bludgeoning if not, in fact, single)
  • skillery (Taken. But, as I am not a woman, will talk to me on phone. Slight problem with unwanted manness. Make note in case you wake up gay.)
  • MEC (There are already enough men on this list. Even the name means man. You already have enough of a contingency plan. *to be removed*)
  • Taalcon (Would likely write amusing summaries of all dates and post on Hatrack for enjoyment of community. Is this a good thing? And then there's that man thing he's got going.)
  • Jess N (Shiny and new to the world of Hatrack and therefore exciting. Approach Strategy: Bring Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and be prepared to discuss Ruth Thompson and Gethsemene. Are there Coles Notes for painters?)
  • Ela (Taken. Comes with nurse uniform and the wisdom of experience. Unlikely to date someone the same age as her children (who are likely so spooked by the thought that any hope of romantic magic has been quashed)).
  • FoolishTook (Self proclaimed thread killer. New and mysterious. And, well, male. But the heart, she follows no rules)

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
INFJ

quote:
The Counselor Idealists are abstract in thought and speech, cooperative in reaching their goals, and directive and introverted in their interpersonal roles. Counselors focus on human potentials, think in terms of ethical values, and come easily to decisions. The small number of this type (little more than 2 percent) is regrettable, since Counselors have an unusually strong desire to contribute to the welfare of others and genuinely enjoy helping their companions. Although Counsleors tend to be private, sensitive people, and are not generally visible leaders, they nevertheless work quite intensely with those close to them, quietly exerting their influence behind the scenes with their families, friends, and colleagues. This type has great depth of personality; they are themselves complicated, and can understand and deal with complex issues and people.

Counselors can be hard to get to know. They have an unusually rich inner life, but they are reserved and tend not to share their reactions except with those they trust. With their loved ones, certainly, Counselors are not reluctant to express their feelings, their face lighting up with the positive emotions, but darkening like a thunderhead with the negative. Indeed, because of their strong ability to take into themselves the feelings of others, Counselors can be hurt rather easily by those around them, which, perhaps, is one reason why they tend to be private people, mutely withdrawing from human contact. At the same time, friends who have known a Counselor for years may find sides emerging which come as a surprise. Not that they are inconsistent; Counselors value their integrity a great deal, but they have intricately woven, mysterious personalities which sometimes puzzle even them.

Counselors have strong empathic abilities and can become aware of another's emotions or intentions -- good or evil -- even before that person is conscious of them. This "mind-reading" can take the form of feeling the hidden distress or illnesses of others to an extent which is difficult for other types to comprehend. Even Counselors can seldom tell how they came to penetrate others' feelings so keenly. Furthermore, the Counselor is most likely of all the types to demonstrate an ability to understand psychic phenomena and to have visions of human events, past, present, or future. What is known as ESP may well be exceptional intuitive ability-in both its forms, projection and introjection. Such supernormal intuition is found frequently in the Counselor, and can extend to people, things, and often events, taking the form of visions, episodes of foreknowledge, premonitions, auditory and visual images of things to come, as well as uncanny communications with certain individuals at a distance.

Okay. I can deal with that.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Like Christy and Eruve, I scored ISFJ. Sounds about right.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

CyberDan, that was fabulous. I only wish I were an INFJ, or INTJ "in a pinch."

Of course, you can pinch me anyway.

Trondheim
Member # 4990

- posted      Profile for Trondheim   Email Trondheim         Edit/Delete Post 
Another INFJ. It's really kind of funny to find so many here..

67 100 11 22

I was looking for numbers that would show distribution of the different personality types divided in male and female, but couldn't find any. I think that could be significant. Have any of you seen statistics on this?

Posts: 99 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Bob, that was hilarious. I almost want to copy and save it.
quote:
skillery (Taken. But, as I am not a woman, will talk to me on phone.

Taalcon (Would likely write amusing summaries of all dates and post on Hatrack for enjoyment of community. Is this a good thing?

[ROFL] [ROFL]

[ September 22, 2004, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

There ya go...you can add littlemiss to your list.

Whiskers and boxer briefs, hmm? But no, I couldn't possibly. I don't think I could spend the rest of my life making "dinner" out of those microbiotic things you eat with no faces. If it doesn't have a face, how do you know which way to point your plate? And how can you be sure that you...ummmm...

...is that carpet fuzz?

[ September 22, 2004, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
INTJ, 33/44/1/33

quote:
Perhaps the most fundamental problem, however, is that INTJs really want people to make sense. :-) This sometimes results in a peculiar naivete', paralleling that of many Fs -- only instead of expecting inexhaustible affection and empathy from a romantic relationship, the INTJ will expect inexhaustible reasonability and directness.
Yep.

[ September 22, 2004, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

It looks like most of the people who posted fall into either the 1% or 2% of the population.

No wonder we like each other. [Smile] It's true - the rest of the world is bizarre.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.