FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Shocking Confessions (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Shocking Confessions
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you made it through okay, Dag. *wince

I try not to get into fights for the very reason that there are some extremely nasty characters out there. With this guy, once I picked up on what was going on, I put on my bright and charming air. He was drunk, even though it was not yet noon, and what I had done could well be misconstrued. (I swear, though, that my sigh was out of pure happiness, and I'd completely forgotten about him. Which was why I was so surprised when he expressed concern for my welfare -- really, it seemed quite sweet at first.)

But, jimminy pete. Enough with the chip on the shoulder. [not you, Dag, just guys in bars]

It actually worked out fine. His friend came back and sat next to him, and their barstools were so close that he was "sharing" a seat with his buddy. [Big Grin]

[ April 10, 2005, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
wow, Dag, that's scary!
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Ladies, women lib only goes so far.

Dig deeply enough and most men will rise to the occasion, especially if it's a woman we care about.

Whether it's a guy who won't hit a woman but will cheerfully pound on the guy with her to the guy who may have nothing invested in the woman nearby but feels a personal need to rise to the occasion, there will be violence.

I find it amusing that most men understood almost instantly the implications of violence and the how’s, whys and wherefores violence would be initiated on their behalf, yet the women at the time were fairly oblivious.

Personal storytime
I flew up for a friend's wedding - his fiancée and her girl friend picked me up from the airport.

She gets into a honking match with the car in front of her.

The car in front of her? Decorated like a Mardi Gras float with "Semper Fi" and "US Marine Corps" stickers. I couldn't see through the window for the mass of shoulders and heads that filled the back window.

I finally leaned forward and asked my friend's fiancée not to get me killed on my first night in Connecticut. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
And that is one of the reasons I try to only do risky things when I am by myself. It's a risk I can take for myself, but not a position I should put anyone else in. (I did apologize to my friend, btw... regardless of my wishes, if things would have turned violent I know he would have been involved, one way or the other.) For myself, I would rather take the risk than be a quiet victim.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Funnily enough, I take the opposite view. If anyone makes a comment, which is pretty rare, thankfully, I don't consider them worthy enough for me to rise to the bait and reply. Let them think what they like about my silence. I usually stick to the most distainful and stoniest look I can summon.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes I feel that way, CT and ElJay. Partly it's because I want to exercise the skill in martial arts that I've gottne over the years. But right now I dunno, because I'm out of practice. I still think I could grapple pretty well.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I don't go looking for fights. Really, I don't. I generally give off more of a nun vibe.

But sometimes the frosty glare is appropriate, and sometimes it isn't. (In this case, ignoring him or shooting a steely look would have likely made things worse).

Sometimes making nice is appropriate, and sometimes it isn't.

Sometimes, I'm sure, physical violence is appropriate. Likely rare cases, but at times, yes.

I'm not about to limit my arsenal of defenses, not at this time of my life. But just because I may occasionally want to take out my aggression, doesn't mean I go picking fights.

*shrug
He was drunk and irrational. It wasn't funny at the time, but it sure was funny once I could verify he wasn't on the airplane.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I fully acknowledge that if it ever came to a fight I would lose. It would be foolish of me to think otherwise.

It hasn't happened yet. For the most part the guys either throw up a little bravado and then leave or just slink away.

I would not recommend anyone else do what I do. I do it because of specific incidences that have left me feeling this is the best response for me.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I understand completely, ElJay.
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never gone out looking for a fight, and I don't plan to.

And I don't deny that it's as likely as not that I'd get the poo beaten out of me in a fight, it's just that, I dunno. It's an experience I should probably have at some point in my life, just to know what it's like.

I'm not a terribly confrontational person, as many of you might know, but I do speak my mind. [Dont Know]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

[Smile]
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

(((ElJay, Ryuko, Teshi, Dragon, mackillian, foundling, and all the other cool chicks)))

and definitely also (((Dagonee, TMedina, twinky, and all the other wonderful men who want only the best for us)))

TMedina
Member # 6649

Or get caught in the crossfire. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Edit: But thanks for the kind thoughts Claudia, on behalf of the guys.

[ April 10, 2005, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
*definately appreciates guys*
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
*has always fought own battles*

*wonders what it would be like to have some guy protect her from the cruds of the earth*

*goes back to reading "The Fiery Cross" and daydreams about men in kilts with swords*

[Wink]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to get angry with the male who decides to fight my battle for me. [Razz]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Chauvinist pig and proud of it.

-Trevor

Edit: Although I should qualify this with - I've yet to meet the woman who could handle a physical altercation safely.

I would not presume to intercede on behalf of, say, a female police officer simply because of her gender.

[ April 10, 2005, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

Teshi
Member # 5024

Luckily I've never been in a situation which might get violent, however, although I certainly would not merely stand back (hahahaha... no) an extra pair of hands, of any gender, would be welcome should a situation arise. Goodness knows I'm not exactly el tough fighting demon.

[Dont Know]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Trevor - not only have I handled my own fights, I've won them. And I ain't a lady officer, nor am I trained in any particular self-defense.

I just know how to do psycho-b**** from hell better than some jerk can do bad a** from some street corner gang.

And I know a fair amount of women that can handle taking care of themselves, too.

(And no - not a one of us would be lesbians - in case that's where your chauvie pig ideas might take you. [Razz] )

HOWEVER! I still reserve the right to fantasize about some knight in shining armor coming along to protect me from all the nastiness the world can deal out. I'm not sure it would bother me at all, mack - as a matter of fact, I think I might like it . . .

*goes back to Jamie and Claire*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Oh, I'm sure there are plenty of women who could take me apart without breaking a sweat and handle themselves in a physical altercation.

I stand by my original statement - I don't know any as of yet. [Taunt]

And please, give me a little credit - the notion of lesbianism didn't even enter into it.

Albeit that might be a fantasy of a different sort. [Taunt]

-Trevor

Shan
Member # 4550

*sniffs haughtily*

[Big Grin]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I will say that my husband displayed either an extreme love of music, or a respect of women's rights at a Bob Dylan concert.

A guy had stepped on my toe very hard. He did not even know it, i guess. A few minutes later, he turned in my direction, and I flipped him off. He said, "What did you do that for!" I told him he had stepped on my toe. He got into my face, big time. I thought for sure we were going to the mat. Luckily, my strong husband was there to protect me.

My strong husband turned to us and said, "Could you two pipe down, he's about to come out."

I think the big dude and I just sort of moved on after that.

[ April 11, 2005, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khavanon
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for Khavanon   Email Khavanon         Edit/Delete Post 
Note to women: Please don't put your man in a position to have to save you if you can avoid it. We'll risk our neck for you... and our ribs, nose, teeth, jaw, etc. You don't want an ugly man, do you?

[ April 10, 2005, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: Khavanon ]

Posts: 2523 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Note to Khavanon: I don't flippin' want to be saved.
Teshi
Member # 5024

This is a great example of a derailed thread.

1. The original topic.
2. The derailment.
3. The controversy.

TMedina
Member # 6649

Speaking of picking fights...

Anyone want to save Khav from the angry biker chick in the corner? [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Shan
Member # 4550

Second note to Khavanon: I still have yet to meet a man that would actually DO that for any woman - not just l'il ole me.

*dreamily wanders the highlands of the eastern seaboard with immigrant Scottsman*

Khavanon
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for Khavanon   Email Khavanon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 2523 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Teshi! You're right! What the heck happened to my thread?

All right, people! Confessions! share 'em here, first. Practice up for the real thing. Lay it on us, the thicker the better and the deeper the - well, you get the point.

Save Khav from an angry biker babe? Are you kidding? Those women are dangerous!

[ April 10, 2005, 11:12 PM: Message edited by: Shan ]

TMedina
Member # 6649

I wasn't joking - I have five bucks on Eljay. [Taunt]

-Trevor

ElJay
Member # 6358

Who, me? I'm not angry. And Khav is in no danger from me, as he's not currently attempting to save me from anything. So we're cool. [Smile]

Added: Drat, confession. Hmmmm. I'll come up with one, I promise.

[ April 10, 2005, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Teshi
Member # 5024

I have a final essay due tomorrow at 3:00. It's 11:12. I have nearly two pages written out of eight. My motivation is nearly zero and I'm posting on Hatrack. I'm making up some of the footnotes.

That is my confession.

TMedina
Member # 6649

quote:

Practice up for the real thing. Lay it on us, the thicker the better and the deeper the - well, you get the point.

I post here only because I can't find the "Out of Context thread." [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy Buffy the Vampire Slayer and its spinoffs.

I also regularly watch Smallville.

I'm so ashamed . . .

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

You should watch Firefly, Joldo.
Shan
Member # 4550

How many footnotes are you up to, Teshi? [Big Grin]
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I write xfiles fanfic. I also ran an xfiles fansite.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Actually, I've discovered a nice thing about this essay. It's allowing me to speculate, which takes no footnotes at all. Right now I have eleven, and I'm on the third page. Sample:

quote:
More diverse parties in the house would increase the range of issues that would be discussed, as well as simultaneously broadening the points of view expressed by the members, and giving more strength to a particular idea; a party, even a small one, has more sway than a single member. Party cohesion would also be a necessary side effect- parties, in order to face up to a more diverse opposition, would be forced to take a clearer and more unified stance on issues. A more closely linked party would also reach out to support its members in their campaign, reducing the reliance on the individual sponsors and lessening the danger of bribery.
Blah, blah, blah...
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never even been in a fight, so I have no idea how well I could handle myself. (I'm a guy, in case anyone's still confused on that point. [Roll Eyes] ) It's actually kind of surprising that no one's ever attacked me, considering the smart mouth I've always had and the fact that I didn't learn to control it till I was in my twenties. But either way, I have no idea how well I'd do in a fight, and I would hope that any woman I was with would either be tough enough to handle herself, or smart enough not to start fights with people in the hopes that I could bail her out. [Roll Eyes]

Edit: Holy crap, a lot of posts popped up while I was writing that. Suddenly it feels like I'm changing the subject. . . .

[ April 10, 2005, 11:50 PM: Message edited by: Verily the Younger ]

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
Shan! I love that series! It's surprising how few people have heard of it, much less read it. Makes me want to visit Scotland... *dreamy sigh*

[Smile]

(Although, I have to say I enjoyed The Fiery Cross the least of them, it seemed to drag on somewhat, but that could just be because it's bigger and heavier to hold up in bed at night. [Wink] )

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Another confession- I smashed a baby wasp! [Cry] [Evil Laugh] [Razz] [Big Grin]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Pffft....what do you have against Protestants anyway? [Evil]

-Trevor

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Shan! I love that series! It's surprising how few people have heard of it, much less read it. Makes me want to visit Scotland... *dreamy sigh*
So that's why you're fixated on Scotland...
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

If all she wanted was men in skirts, I could recommend a couple places in Midtown.

-Trevor

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Ha ha ha. We went to a Donna the Buffalo show the other night in Troy, NY, and there was a man who was at least 6' 5" tall, about 300 pounds, wearing a kilt. It must have used five yards of plaid wool.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Kilt-related confession:

After the movie "Troy" came out, the idea that kilts would become the fashion rage was bandied about. I really, really wish it had! Men in kilts are really, really, sexy. Plus, we women could refer to men as "skirts" in a casually sexist way, and it would be about time!

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
*whole hearted agreement*
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

WROTE fanfic. Past tense. I don't anymore. o_O Takes up WAY too much time.
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
My shocking confession: After posting in the Favorite Childhood Toy thread, I am very seriously considering trying to track down and collect some of my erstwhile favorite toys (not those specific toys, but of the same type).
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Eljay,

quote:
Note to Khavanon: I don't flippin' want to be saved.
Just to play devil's advocate, if you were with a good friend, gender makes no difference, and they got into a pi**ing match that turned ugly would you stand there idly while they were being beaten? I contend that it isn't your desire to not be saved that is paramount, it's their desire to help a friend avoid a trip to the emergency room.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.