FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » There's nothing like a cool, refreshing Dr Pepper... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: There's nothing like a cool, refreshing Dr Pepper...
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, based on this tiny sample size, I see no correlation.

Carry on!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, I make a mean anise-current martini, with anise picked fresh from my garden. Wanna come over?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tante, I make a mean anise-current martini, with anise picked fresh from my garden. Wanna come over?
Gosh YES!

My favoritest liquor is Arak, which tastes like Good'n'Plenty, but not at all sweet. It is crystal clear, but if you put it in the freezer or add ice, it turns milky-white.

Sometimes I pour a little over my vanilla ice cream.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Arak? *shudder, gag*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Arak? *shudder, gag*
Fine. More for me! [Big Grin]
ElJay
Member # 6358

The funny thing is that I don't like black licorice. But I like anise. Never had Arak.

But I make my martinis with a little vanilla sugar-sryup, so if you like Arak over vanilla ice cream you're pretty sure to like them. [Smile]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

It's a date!

Um...are you picking me up? Do you need directions to New Jersey?

ElJay
Member # 6358

Hey I asked if you wanted to come over. That implies you supply your own form of transportation. Need directions to Minnesota?
CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, so close, but yet so far.
Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

(I want an anise martini, too. [Frown] )
Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

ElJay,
I'm afraid that I can't make it over to Minnesota just now. Can I take a rain check?

ElJay
Member # 6358

Certainly, Tante. And CT, anytime. [Smile]
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh where in NJ are you Tante?
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

<sigh> Exit 9
kojabu
Member # 8042

haha, that actually doesn't help me any. I'm from northern Sussex County so we don't have highways with exits. [Razz]
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Oh la-di-dah!
CT
Member # 8342

*grin
kojabu
Member # 8042

Zeugma, I got one of the Diet Dr. Pepper's from Pita Pit that had a 9-12-05 expiration date, but I think it tastes the same as the one I had yesterday. Very odd....
JuniperDreams
Member # 3471

- posted      Profile for JuniperDreams   Email JuniperDreams         Edit/Delete Post 
I think squirrels beat Dr. Pepper any day. >.>
Posts: 1245 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I really have to insert my obnoxious opinion in here now.

I've been completely spoiled for American soda since I began shopping exclusively in the import aisles. Mexico is brilliant and does just about everything neccessary to save the world. If you can get some Mexican apple soda (there are many brands, all equally fabulous, such as Sidral, Extra Poma and Manzana Lift) you must give it a try. Also fabulous is the Jarritos line of Mexican sodas, which you can even get here so I'm pretty sure you can get them everywhere. Tamarindo is the best thing ever made.

If you can find an asian import store, try the weirdest soda you can find. CoCo Rico is a pretty good Filipino coconut soda, and then there's always the cool Japanese one with the marble that's really too sweet, but the coolest ones will be the obscure ones. Aloe vera soda, red bean soda, green tea soda.

The import aisle's the way to go.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JuniperDreams
Member # 3471

- posted      Profile for JuniperDreams   Email JuniperDreams         Edit/Delete Post 
New York... but I think it might just be me... >.>
Posts: 1245 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Annie,
Ever come across any licorice soda? There may be a vast untapped market just waiting for me to come along and exploit it.

kojabu
Member # 8042

Grapefruit soda is pretty good, I had some of that in Italy. But sadly they had no Dr. Pepper so it was a long four months with Coke as my only option for dark soda.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Fresca is grapefruit soda. Alas, it only comes in diet.
Kiwi
Member # 7982

- posted      Profile for Kiwi   Email Kiwi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Remember if you decide that someone is "Making" you try a drink the likelhood of you enjoying it is greatly reduce.
I disagree, since I was trying it under the impression that it was delicious. The only reason he had to "make" me try it was because it was somewhat difficult to find over here, and I kept forgetting.

I don't like cherry flavoured coke, or anything really, so I hardly think cherry flavoured Dr Pepper is going to be nicer. [Razz]

It's not just Dr Pepper, either; I find most American candy oversweet. Not only is Dr Pepper too sweet, but as I recall it tastes like marzipan (assuming marzipan is the flavour of wedding cake icing...).

Posts: 69 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Marzipan is not usually used on wedding cakes over here, no, it's usually royal icing. Marzipan I think is mostly almond paste, is the flavor you're thinking of at all almondy?
kojabu
Member # 8042

Marzipan is the flavor of almond paste and some of the best stuff in the world!! Haven't been to enough weddings to know about the cake icing thing though.
RoyHobbs
Member # 7594

- posted      Profile for RoyHobbs   Email RoyHobbs         Edit/Delete Post 
Dr Pepper rules - Mr Pibb drools.

[Wink]

Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kiwi
Member # 7982

- posted      Profile for Kiwi   Email Kiwi         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I'm not sure. I found a website that says marzipan is usually used for cake decorating rather than to actually ice the entire cake, so perhaps it was cute little marzipan flowers that I was thinking of. [Razz]

I like almonds, but if marzipan is almond flavoured, then I guess I don't like almond flavouring. Does Dr Pepper taste in any way almondy? (I remember it having a taste I didn't like that reminded me of marzipan, but since I'm not sure that I have the correct memory of what marzipan tastes like, it could be anything really...)

Posts: 69 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by kojabu:
haha, that actually doesn't help me any. I'm from northern Sussex County so we don't have highways with exits. [Razz]

So once you get on, you're stuck?

Kiwi, I adore marzipan (which, while made primarily of almonds, has a taste quite distinct from plain almonds) and detest Dr. Pepper. Which I don't happen to think tastes anything like any kind of icing . . . [Dont Know]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second the bit about American candy being sweeter than most of the world (though I suspect Western European candy is similar). When I was in India and we went to a "sweet shop" everything was spongy cake type things with syrup or maybe some sort of frosting. There wasn't anything like American hard candy, which is basically colored sugar formed into different shapes (Nerds, SweetTarts, Jolly Ranchers, etc). The sweetest thing we found was basically a donut hole in a small dish of maple syrup.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by kojabu:
[qb] haha, that actually doesn't help me any. I'm from northern Sussex County so we don't have highways with exits. [Razz]

So once you get on, you're stuck?
Haha, there are no highways to get stuck on.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Does Dr Pepper taste in any way almondy?
It tastes like stewed prunes.
rivka
Member # 4859

No, it tastes quite a bit worse than stewed prunes. bleh!
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Dr. Pepper? Ick.

Anyone know what gives Dr. Pepper its real flavor? I've always thought of Dr. Pepper as being the unholy spawn of root beer and Tab...

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Wikipedia says that Dr Pepper was made from a bunch of popular sodas at the time of its invention. And it doesn't contain prunes!!

Here's a bunch of fake Dr. Pepper's. I like Dr. A+ and Dr. Whatever. Dr. What?

plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! I was right!
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

That site also says that Dr Pepper was a real doctor. I don't believe it.

Has anyone ever tried Manhattan Special? It is an espresso-flavored soda. Perfect!

(But I'm still wishing for a nice, frosty Ph.D. Black)

kojabu
Member # 8042

Gasp! espresso flavored soda, that could be so good. Where can one obtain such a delicacy?
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Check out this retail location finder from their website:
http://www.manhattanspecial.com/locator.aspx

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.