FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why don't people know how to shake hands? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why don't people know how to shake hands?
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a couple of nuns walking around Disney World one day. Man, people kept getting out of their way. They probably never waited more than ten minutes all day.

One of these days I'm going to wear a habit into the park.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently attended a funeral - and yes, there were people wearing jeans. [Roll Eyes] I'm still not over the "women wearing pants to church" thing - even though I did for a few months. I eventually revereted back to skirt/blouse outfits because that's how I grew up.

This thread made me think and I realized that we don't shake hands in church (LDS) any more. [Dont Know] I always used a firm grip, even as a kid, because that's just how you did it. I don't know when or why that changed, but I don't recall the last time I shook hands with anyone at church. Maybe I should start a new (old) trend.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Huh, I wouldn't think of dressing up for church because I never had to at mine.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
I still shake hands a lot at my church. I thought it was the bishopric's primary responsibility to shake hands before and after the meeting. And part of the paying tithing ritual involves shaking hands...

My firmness is always in relation to the person. If I have to take the more mature role I always make sure my grip is firmer. If I don't, I'll just match the other person's firmness.

I use to play the vicegrip game as a kid too. It was fun, especially when I won!

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

At my church (Presbyterian), we had a Sharing of the Peace which involves shaking the hands of people in pews near yours. It always bothered me whenever someone had the limp handshake.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

LOL. I'm reading Freakonomics and I just read that the secret Ku Klux Klan handshake was a left-handed limp wristed fish wiggle.

Wow.

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I have lily-white, college-boy, piano-man hands. There's no way I could have a crushing grip even if I wanted to. So instead I opt for the casual firmness which, coupled with my easy smile and twinkling eyes, let the person know that I'm not really trying, and if I wanted to I could squeeze the stuffing out of their hands with the a strength that belies their appearance.

I also note that my handshake depends on the social standing of the other person. If it's someone who needs to be in the "alpha male" position, I'll let them set the tone of the handshake and respond to them. If I feel I should be the alpha, I set the tone. Sometimes we get our wires crossed and ramp up the handshake intensity, trying to prove dominance while staying within culturally acceptable degrees of firmness and not lingering in the handshake for longer than appropriate.

And sometimes I just smile and nod. Maybe wave, maybe the wink and the gun. You know. When I'm not up for the handshake dance.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
At my synagogue, everyone wears their nicest clothes for the Sabbath services. For guys this is a black suit with a white shirt. For women, always skirts or dresses. I have never ever seen a woman in pants in my congregation. And a denim skirt doesn't cut it -- you wear the stuff that needs to go to the dry cleaners (or looks as if it should have a "dry clean only" label).

A person in a tee shirt and jeans would surely seem out of place.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob the Lawyer:
And sometimes I just smile and nod. Maybe wave, maybe the wink and the gun. You know. When I'm not up for the handshake dance.

You wave a gun when you don't want to shake hands!? Remind me never to do this [Laugh]

Recently I was accosted in a parking lot by kids selling candy for school. I was suspicious because it was July, and broke, so I knew I wasn't going to buy anything.

But one girl had obviously been told that a firm handshake is the way to close the sale, because she shook hands very firmly and then wouldn't let go! [No No] She was a skinny teenage girl, but had quite the grip. Stronger than mine, probably. I'm cursed with weak hands. [Frown] [Wave] Maybe I should brandish firearms like Bob to avoid whimpering when teenage girls shake hands with me.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a fan of the mamby-pamby handshake, but what really irritates me are the knuckle/finger grabbers. I like a good firm handshake but that is impossible when someone grabs you around the knuckles. I've even gone so far as to grab the wrist of someone doing this to me and forcing my hand further up so we are firmly palm to palm while looking in their eye so they understand I felt they were trying to intimidate me and I didn't appreciate that technique.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AC
Member # 7909

- posted      Profile for AC           Edit/Delete Post 
I hate the whole practice of handshaking, and I never offer my hand for one.

Also, I have several sets of exactly the same clothes so that I don't have to think about what I am going to wear everyday. Hearing that Einstein also did that makes me feel smarter.

Posts: 151 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheSeeingHand
Member # 8349

- posted      Profile for TheSeeingHand   Email TheSeeingHand         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm shy like f***ing hell and I know how to shake hands.

Then again, I used to have a 'dead fish' handshake until someone pointed it out to me.

Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
We did away with handshakes at my school sometime last year. Rubbing ankles was the preferred method.
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually did the all-my-clothes-the-same-color thing for a few years, until I got tired of black. Even now my wardrobe is all the same *type* of clothes--jeans and t-shirts--so I still don't have to think about what to wear, I just grab whatever's on top of the stack. Which is a good thing, because I get dressed in the dark on weekday mornings, and don't know what color shirt I'm wearing until I emerge blinking into the kitchen [Big Grin]
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't particularly care about handshakes one way or the other.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NdRa
Member # 2295

- posted      Profile for NdRa   Email NdRa         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a habit of wanting to shake hands every time I meet someone new, even in casual circumstances like a party or a get-together with peers. Usually I get a weak handshake in response along with a "who shakes hands anymore?" facial expression. I guess shaking hands is more formal than I take it to be, espesially amonst people in my age rage (mid-20's.) Being a very affectionate person, I like the idea of having a form of affection that is suitable when dealing with strangers. I also have a habit of hugging people everyone time I say goodbye, usually even if I had just met the person. It's always uncomfortable when I get a rigid hug and a pat on the back as a response.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have a habit of wanting to shake hands every time I meet someone new, even in casual circumstances like a party or a get-together with peers.
I'm getting this visual of Ten Second Tom always wanting to shake hands, and how absolutely irritating that would be.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I had to train myself to stop shaking hands. As a missionary, you shake hands with EVERYONE. I went to my best friend's wedding reception shortly after getting home, and when I was introduced to someone, I stuck my hand out. He laughed, shook it, and said, "Fresh off the boat, right?"
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
I like handshakes, but everyone in my age/peer group (parents of small children) is slightly wary of germs, so it's not as common as it might be in other age/peer groups. One of the things on my son's "list of things to buy for school" was a bottle of antibacterial gel! I'm not sure whether to be happy about that or horrified. Heh.

My mom has an old progress report card of mine from kindergarten where the teacher wrote "Jennifer needs to stop hugging the teacher so often as it interferes with class learning time." Clearly I have always been a 'touchy-feely' person. Haha. Handshakes don't scare new people as much as full-body hugging, and since I am a caring individual (and modest! [Wink] ), handshakes are what I proffer.

Unless you are mackillian. Then it's full-on *tacklehug* time, physical-contact issues be damned!

*VBG*

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, I'm shy like f***ing hell and I know how to shake hands.
Wow! I had no idea that f***ing hell was shy!
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
I think people don't shake hands in a good way simply because they haven't been taught. It isn't that there's something wrong with them. They just don't know, until someone shows them. Just a guess.
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

I'm often surprised when someone my age range (college, 18-22) offers a hand to shake. At times it'll catch me off guard. I think it catches people off guard when I offer my hand to someone my age or younger as well.

Edited to add age

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
jexx's comment about "full body hugging" made me laugh. Mr. Opera (at his old company) worked for a time with a woman who did this - after her second day of employment. [Eek!] Needless to say, he learned to ward her off. I always wondered if there was a bit more than "friendliness" to her hugs - meaning if she somehow saw it as a twisted way to try and get ahead since she tried it with all the men in the company. Either way, truly weird in a professional environment.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think people don't shake hands in a good way simply because they haven't been taught. It isn't that there's something wrong with them.
Sometimes there IS something wrong with them. Like a neuromuscular disease or arthritis or carpal tunnel syndrome.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, forget handshaking and forearm-grasping. Physical contact with strangers is overrated anyhow. Let's just all go back to bowing.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

What if they are cute?
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Then, bowing and scraping.
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I like doing that kind of bow. Right leg back, left hand across your chest, right hand sweeping outward with a great flourish. I wish I had more social excuses to use it. It's more interesting than a handshake, and you don't have to sweat about whether your handshake is too strong or too flimsy. And since you're not sweating about it, the other person doesn't have to worry about touching your sweaty hands. Everybody wins.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

If we go back to bowing does that mean that girls have to go back to curtsying?
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Cartwheels.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.