FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Monitor Lizard Seige - now with pictures! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Monitor Lizard Seige - now with pictures!
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
That looks like some kind of monitor or goanna. They are poisonous, but only mildly so, and only if they bite you hard and long enough to grind their back teeth into the bite. The poison won't kill you - it breaks down the flesh and makes the area of the bite really susceptible to infection. It was only discovered a few months ago that monitor bites resulting in a nasty infection was actually due to this venom, and not to the fact that monitors just have really icky mouths. I wish I had lizards like that on my roof. That's way cool. [Frown]
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
*laughs*

I am amazed at people being jealous of the lizards on my roof. Honestly, I really am. This is... just a little too weird for me. I mean, I can understand it - if I was in your shoes reading about all this, that might be my reaction. But I'm strange!

Seriously, y'all, any of you want to come visit and experience lizards out your bedroom window (the pics I've taken of the lizards on the roof have been taken out of upstairs bedroom windows), you're more than welcome! [Smile]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sarcare:
And they are carnivores, so they will totally eat you.

I just woke up, and my contacts are blurry. It took me a minute to realize you weren't calling them camwhores.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I knew Noemon would love those lizards. [Smile]

We have lizards in Florida, but they are cute little lizards.

There was a little green lizard stuck in my daughter's window the other day, and we opened the window so he could escape.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
So, quid, did the borax and sugar actually kill them, then? My mom will be thrilled if it did. [Big Grin]

Glad your lizard's gone.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ela:
I knew Noemon would love those lizards. [Smile]

[Smile] You were right!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

They are pretty cool. Though I don't know that I'd want one crawling around my yard. [Eek!]

I guess it's better than meeting up with a gator. [Wink]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quid, you know it's all your fault. I started reading this thread last night, and then I went and looked at the lizards on roof link, and then I started looking at a bunch of your other Sri Lanka pix (hope you don't mind), and then it was really really late . . .

and now I'm sleepy! what an interesting life you're leading. From Canada originally, right?

Oh, and Fahim looks a lot like a friend of mine who's half Sri Lankan. They could be siblings.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Neomon did you see the pictures I have of grasshopper sex?
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
...grasshopper sex? >_<
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
kq, the borax and sugar kills the ants so incredibly well, it's delightful! Except that the big brown ants don't like it, won't touch it, and so it doesn't kill them. But it's killed every other variety of ants we have here. [Smile] Yep, I'm delighted, too.

Uprooted, of course I don't mind you wandering through my photos - it's what they're there for. [Smile] Yes, I'm from Canada, and Fahim's totally Sri Lankan. He's just really really pale compared to the rest of 'em.

kojabu, should I take pictures of centipede sex for you? O_o

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Yea! Man they were really going at it at the natural history museum in DC
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Well, okay then. [Angst]
kojabu
Member # 8042

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/kojabu/DC/Picture025.jpg
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
I have Borax. I have sugar. I have many many red ants. What's the ratio?

My 7 yr old "innocent" son was very amused at the two monkeys at the zoo, who he must've thought were getting ready to play football or something.... [Big Grin]

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Jenna, I did a 1:1 and it worked just fine. You should know how it works... The ants pick up the sugar/borax and take it back to the nest, where it's redistributed among the colony. So it kills the entire family - and it takes 2-3 days.

Here, where the humidity levels are so high, the sugar/borax will melt into a slab of the stuff in a couple or three hours rather than stay as individual crystals. So, when I put it out, if it's inside, I put it on a yoghurt lid or some such for easier cleanup. Outside, I don't particularly care. [Smile]

With those tens of thousands of ants, I put out a few piles of sugar/borax that were each a couple of teaspoons and it did the trick. I probably didn't need to use anywhere near as much as that.

Good luck and may you be quickly ant free!

Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the lizards are really cute too! How fast do they move? I'm so glad the lizard escaped.

Would it be a good idea to lean a ladder (or build an easier escape path) to allow the lizards to climb out if they fall in again? What if one that's a whole lot bigger falls in? It would be nice to have something like that in place ahead of time, so you don't have to worry about it when the times comes. It might help Oberon as well, especially as he gets older and less able to jump long distances.

I have found various ways to coexist with animals here where I live (in a wooded area). I really love the feeling I get from being friendly with the local fauna. It's just awesome to look out the back window and see birds, chipmunks, squirrels, cats, racoons, etc. paying me a visit.

If lizards scare you, I promise that doing things to help them out in little ways will end your fear.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

My mother will be so proud. Her homestyle non-toxic ant-killing solution worked. [Big Grin] Even on mutant Sri Lankan ants. Except the ones that probably only eat meat or something.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Tatiana - when that lizard was startled, it moved at a pretty good pace. Faster than me, that's for sure, but I'm out of shape. Not faster than my cat, and he's pretty lazy for a cat. Um... I don't know how fast in miles per hour or kilometers per second or... And yeah, I'm also glad the lizard escaped, believe me. [Smile]

From the site that sarcare provided (which is an excellent site, by the way, on everything from monitor lizards to all the varieties of geckos to other reptiles in Sri Lanka), it says that the monitor lizards here get to be 1.4 meters long, or 55 inches, or 4 feet 7 inches long and just over 10 kg, or 22 pounds. So the biggest one on our roof is about as big as they get. Hurray for that, at least.

And yeah, considering that this is the third (at least) time that a monitor lizard has been trapped in our back yard in the last 7 months, it might actually be time to consider doing something to help them escape.

But no, I will retain my fear. C'mon, I scream when I see geckos, and they're only two to six inches long. Oh hell, I scream when I see those tiny little frogs at my in-law's place in Kurunegala, and those are less than an inch! [Angst]

kq, the one species of ants that won't eat the borax/sugar will eat leaves and other plant matter, so they're not exclusively meat eaters. [Dont Know]

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Does Oberon stay away from the borax/sugar mix on his own or do you have to keep him away? I'm assuming it would hurt kitties too. Hmm, actually, I wonder what it would do to monitor lizards...
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

He doesn't go near the stuff. Well, he smells it, then sometimes he sneezes, and then he goes away.

Thing is, I don't know that I really want to kill the monitor lizards. By all accounts, they're why the squirrel and rat population is under control and why we don't have more bugs in the house, so I think we'll just leave them alone.

Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
That's one big, cat-eating lizard sort of thing!
Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Lizard problem?
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Goody, my mom recommends the soap and sugar thing specifically because kitties (and babies) can ingest enough to know they don't want to eat it without being hurt. [Smile]

I don't know what it would do to lizards...

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Shouldn't do much if anything. Borax works by causing scratches in the insect's exoskeleton. The insects dehydrate and die.

(Diatomaceous earth works much the same way.)

Since reptiles (and mammals) lack an exoskeleton, and all evidence indicates that one would need to ingest HUGE amounts of borax to get sufficient to be harmful by ingestion, they should not be affected.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Most it does to kitties and babies is make them throw up.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
aspectre, that is the oddest video I think I've ever seen. What in the heck was it? I feel sorry for the poor lizard. How did it get mixed up in that business anyway? It was minding its own lizard business, and then what happens?
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Just a typical morning in Tokyo, with Godzilla terrorizing the natives.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, quidscribis, that's a big lizard! How'd you get it out of your house that one time? Can't you call the animal control department?

Don't you live in Canada? I thought big lizards lived only in tropical areas.

Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

She lives in Sri Lanka. Did you miss the whole "Dear Hatrack, I'm getting married and moving to Sri Lanka" thing? (Which, I believe, was actually after the fact?)
Omega M.
Member # 7924

Lucky it's not a Mexican staring lizard then.
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
:looking at register date: Yep, Omega missed that. Heck, I missed that.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

But she's so proud of how she started it!
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
What is a Mexican staring lizard?
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

I was waiting for someone to ask that or explain the joke. There's a South Park episode where they're hunting the legendary "Mexican staring frog of southern Sri Lanka," which kills you if you look at its face.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Omega, I do indeed live in Sri Lanka, although I came from Canada. [Big Grin] I moved here in August 2003 when I flew over to meet the man who's now my husband, and kq is wrong on one score - I wrote that Dear Hatrack I'm getting married and moving to Sri Lanka thread before I actually left Canada. About eight days before, I think. [Big Grin]

And nope, we don't have animal control here.

We have a front yard and a back yard - they're not connected - and off the back yard, we have two doors, one out our living room, the other out the servant's area. The day that the lizard got in our house, the back door off the servant's area was open.

The lizard got into our yard - probably fell off the wall or the roof - and started looking for a way out. I took pictures - with a flash - and the flash startled the lizard. Or perhaps it was because the lizard heard me and it got scared. In any case, it ran from the windows off our livingroom around the back of the house and took its only "escape", which was, of course, into our servant's area.

The lizard was not about to go out the way it came in - it was too scared - and it kept looking for a way out. Twice, it ended up running behind the washing machine and getting caught, so Fahim had to climb onto the counter and poke it (gently) with a broom to get it out from behind the washer. I, of course, was in the kitchen, which is separated from the servant's area by glass windows and a glass door, so I could see everything and even take some pictures but couldn't be hurt by the lizard.

Eventually, after the lizard tried clawing through the door that leads to our front sitting room and climbing the stairs that leads to bedrooms upstairs, Fahim opened the garage door and herded the lizard out that way.

It then ran through the gaps at the bottom of the gate door.

It took about a half hour or 45 minutes to get it out of the house. And Fahim was not happy with me for taking pictures. Flash really scares the things. And that's also why the pictures from the lizard incident last week are flashless - didn't want to startle him.

Did I mention that, after Oberon figured out the lizard was no big deal, that he just plopped himself down and watched? Didn't bother moving until it was over. That is one relaxed cat!

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
I wrote that Dear Hatrack I'm getting married and moving to Sri Lanka thread before I actually left Canada. About eight days before, I think. [Big Grin]

*remembers* People thought you were pulling our collective leg at first. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Really? I don't think I knew that.

But then, I was in a pretty thick fog at the time...

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
Really? I don't think I knew that.

Pretty sure. Certainly the thought crossed my mind initially. [Wink] I thought I remembered people posting responses to that effect, but perhaps that was a dream. [Big Grin]

I definitely do recall the thread that spun off into the Dear Hatrack thread.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Do you mean the spending 11 hours in Hong Kong thread?

And no, I'm not surprised it was the first thought. The whole thing sounded pretty unbelievable - of that, I am most certainly aware! And yet, here we sit, neither of us poisoned or stabbed or chopped up into little bits and stashed in the freezer yet. Go figure. [Razz]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

What about the lizard? You could stash the lizard in the freezer.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Fahim can't eat amphibians. So really, what's the point? [Wink]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Feed it to Oberon?

Or just freak people out telling them you have a dead, mangled lizard part stashed in your freezer? [Evil]

Personally, I wouldn't eat it, either.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

quote:
Or just freak people out telling them you have a dead, mangled lizard part stashed in your freezer? [Evil]

[ROFL] [Evil]

Frankly, my dear, you have a wonderfully evil mind. [Evil]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Why, thank you. *takes a bow*
quidscribis
Member # 5124

[ROFL] You're welcome.

And now, of course, I'll have to consider that as an option the next time the lizard falls off the roof.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

This is where the teenaged local boys come in-- hire them to hack it up with machetes. Or the local equivalent. *needs to sleep before evil completely takes over*
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Too late. [Evil]
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
quid, if one of those lizards have a difficult time getting out of your backyard, how in the heck do they get on the roof? They look too big to climb trees very easily.
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Yup, that's the one.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.