FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Monitor Lizard Seige - now with pictures! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Monitor Lizard Seige - now with pictures!
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
A lizard fell off the roof.

And landed in our back yard.

He's been wandering back and forth back and forth, all over the small little yard space, trying to find a way out.

This has happened twice before. The first time, he climbed up the wall and back on to the roof. The second time was the time we had the back door open and he came in and wouldn't leave.

This time, the back door is closed - we learned, but evidently, the lizard didn't - so he's not coming in.

And no, I haven't gotten close enough to tell if it's actually a he.

At any rate, he's been walking around back there, walking over and ruining plants for the last hour or so. [Eek!] He won't leave!

[ January 05, 2006, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: quidscribis ]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcare
Member # 8736

- posted      Profile for sarcare   Email sarcare         Edit/Delete Post 
Those are scary looking critters--I'm still creeped out by the size of the claws on the pics you posted!

Does the lizard appear dazed? Maybe hurt in the fall, and can't figure out how to get out? How big is this one?

Posts: 234 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't kill him!

*loves lizards*

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcare
Member # 8736

have you seen these lizards [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] ?
Posts: 234 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
She won't kill him-- it would probably bring down the blood vengance of the other lizards. Plus, she'd have to get close enough to, you know, kill him. [Angst]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
OOoo....will you post the pictures again, or at least the link to the link of the pictures? I personally would laugh hysterically if that happened, but that's just me.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen these lizards, no. They sound icky.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
Get a shovel, lift him out of your yard, and set him down far, far away. If he tries to claw out your eyes, close them as tight as you can and chant, "I do believe in fairies, I do! I do!"
Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's one of the lizard on the roof.

We've now figured out what all the commotion was earlier - I watched it try to climb up the wall, but then it fell over. From the noise, it's done this at least three times. I don't think it can get out, or at least, it hasn't figured out how yet. I think it's too heavy to climb up a wall - it just falls over.

It's been about an hour and a half since it landed down here.

The good thing is that it's leaving Oberon alone. Oberon, of course, is watching the lizard and wondering what the heck is going on, but has figured out that the lizard is no threat to him.

This is just... Seige by Lizard. [Eek!]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Um, this lizard is about four feet long. And no, I am NOT getting close enough to kill it. Cuz, you know, it could claw my throat out. Or break my legs. Or something. Nope. Ain't gonna make my day.
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
He looks delicious.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
What about hiring some local teenage boys to chase it out with sticks?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
How cute!
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Delicious he might be, but I'm not gonna wrangle the thing into a pot. Yikes!

kq, They would have to chase it out through our house. There is no other way out of the back yard.

Evie3217
Member # 5426

That thing is awesome! Possibly, and this is just a suggestion, set up a ramp or something so he has some way to get over the fence. Stack chairs or something like that.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Of course you're not going to wrangle him into a pot! He'd be much better barbecued.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Sure, Evie, and I'll just go out back and do that. In easy reach of the thing so it can claw my eyes out. [Angst]

In all seriousness, yes, it's a good idea, and no, I really don't mean to mock you, but I'm not willing to put my personal safety at risk. And if I went back there, it would be.

Oberon's safe - he can jump and run way way faster than I can, plus he apparently is small enough that the lizard doesn't find him at all threatening.

Evie3217
Member # 5426

I totally understand. No hard feelings. Do you have any protective gear?
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that thing makes our Florida lizards look like insects. [Eek!]

What kind of lizard is that, anyway?

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Croc Hunter aside, a four foot monitor is nothing to muck with, mate. [Wink] I take it there's no animal control or zoo that could help you out?
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

We don't have a barbecue. *hangs head in shame* Those things are notoriously difficult to acquire here, and locals just don't understand what barbecue is.

Although I could set a fire and roast him over a pit or something. The next door neighbors have that, although I'm really not sure what they burn in it.

ElJay
Member # 6358

I was thinking a pit, yes. Although I've got to admit I wouldn't be too interested in skewring him myself. I've heard that iguana tails make great steaks, though, and that thing's probably related.

Ela -- it's a roof lizard, of course. [Wink]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

[ROFL] [Laugh] TheTick [ROFL] [ROFL] Thanks, mate, I need that. *wipes tears*

IF animal control existed, they'd do nothing more than laugh at us. These lizards are everywhere, and lots of people have them living on their roofs. Heck, we've got at least two more up there now. If this one died or left or something, those other two would just have bigger hunting grounds until one of them fell off. If they left, then others would take over residency.

This is just a fact of life here.

But these are monitor lizards, then?

quidscribis
Member # 5124

It tried climbing our window. Course, it didn't work well, being glass and all. [Roll Eyes]
Evie3217
Member # 5426

Did it scratch the window at all?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Can they climb ladders? What if you gave him a ladder, either out the yard or back onto the roof?
Evie3217
Member # 5426

KQ, I suggested that, and it didn't go over so well. I think the problem is just going out in the backyard in the first place.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, she has a big strong macho husband.
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
I do believe in fairies, I do, I do . . .

*chases lizard out of Quid's yard*

Actually, when I read the title of this thread, I thought you were talkin' 'bout one of those little anoles and couldn't figure out why you were making a big deal about it.

Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:
Ela -- it's a roof lizard, of course. [Wink]

[Laugh]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Um, big strong hairy husband is working, and that's his excuse. In reality, he's a big strong scaredy cat. [Eek!]

As far as he's concerned, it's no big deal. After all, he's a local, and this is just life as usual. He does, however, think I'm nuts for taking so many pictures.

I'm cleaning them up before I post them. [Big Grin] I've taken over a hundred so far. Because, you know, that's my OCD. [Roll Eyes]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

If I lived closer, I'd lend you my big strong macho husband. He's been bit by scarier teeth and scratched by larger claws than that lizard's got, and he's always wanted to be the Crocodile Hunter. [Roll Eyes]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Oh crap. I should have started cooking lunch like a half hour ago. And I should have started washing dishes like a half hour before that. [Eek!] Oh no! He gets grumpy when he's not fed! And no, I'm not talking about the lizard - I'm talking about Fahim.

It's trying to climb up the glass again. We're scared it's going to eventually break the glass. Of course, it doesn't get very far, but does make a lot of rubbing noises as he slides down. [Razz]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

What, he doesn't eat sandwiches?
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Good grief. That thing looks like a Komodo dragon or a Gila monster! "Lizard" it may be -- BIG lizard!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Nope, kq, not usually. Plus I haven't cooked in three days - you know, period from hell and me whimpering on the couch - so I actually feel sorry for him for not having had decent meals in days. So cooking it is.

But the fish is almost done, the rice is, and the eggplant and the peppers are coming along nicely.

We haven't heard the lizard since the third time he tried to climb the windows and the sounds of him rubbing against the glass on his way down. We don't know if he's actually gone or if he's sunning himself somewhere just out of sight.

In all of this, after Oberon figured out that the lizard was no threat, he plopped himself down and watched the lizard going back and forth and back and forth and... Oberon's got hisself some free entertainmunt! Ayup!

quidscribis
Member # 5124

We still haven't heard the lizard since I mentioned it above. I can't tell if it's actually gone or just napping. [Dont Know] I guess we'll find out eventually.

Anyway, nutcase that I am, I've gone through the photos & cropped 'em and posted them up on my website, so you can go take a look at them now. [Big Grin] Cuz, ya know, I want you to feel my pain. [Big Grin] So here they are.

jennabean
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for jennabean   Email jennabean         Edit/Delete Post 
WOW. Thaaat is a DINOSAUR. I thought you meant a cute gecko or little chameleon thing. That thing breathes fire, I'm sure of it.
Posts: 308 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Geckos are not cute. Neither are chameleons. We have both in this house. [Mad]

This time, I got a very good look at its forked tongue - a good four or so inches outside of its mouth! Ew!

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I like geckos. [Smile]
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Awww, he's a cute lizard!

I love lizards. And also big snakes. Perhaps because when I was little, the science museum used to let us place with fourteen-foot boa constrictors.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

About 3 this afternoon, a good five hours after this all began and two and a half hours after we last heard the lizard, I finally had the guts to actually go outside and check.

Yep, it was gone.

And yep, Oberon still has all his limbs. [Razz]

The lizard managed to climb his way out without falling off the wall - yay! And then we heard more noises from the roof, which is usually lizard, but since there are three up there most of the time, I can't say with certainty that our fallen lizard was among them.

But he's no longer down here, so yay! Only 2 1/2 hours that dratted lizard was down here. [Eek!]

Edited because, while geckos may be lizards, this lizard was no gecko.

[ January 05, 2006, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: quidscribis ]

Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
That is one freakin' big lizard in your photo!

You know, when I think "tropical paradise", lizards camping on the roof doesn't spring to mind. But I guess it's a package deal... [Wink]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
When I read the title I kind of expected a small army of little gecko-like lizards. Somehow this strikes me as freakier. Annie, get your gun, freakier. Yay for it being gone!
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh cool a monitor. Those things are awesome. Though, I think they are mildly poisonous... I can't remember, its been a while since I did any serious research into lizards.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcare
Member # 8736

I looked up these freaky monitor lizards, and apparently they come in water and land varieties. The Land ones eat bugs and stuff--mostly small stuff according to the site I read. They are also frequently killed for their skins, go figure.

The water ones are even more scary, they get to be up to 3 meters long, which makes them the second largest lizards. And they are carnivores, so they will totally eat you. Plus it said they will live in ditches by the side of the road, so watch out!

Here is the website, if anyone else is interested web page on lizards

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks sarcare!

Quid, I'm quite envious--I'd love to have had the opportunity to watch him. That picture of the dead lizard being eaten by ants was fascinating too, by the way. Its always interesting to see hordes of ants on cleanup detail.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If I lived closer, I'd lend you my big strong macho husband. He's been bit by scarier teeth and scratched by larger claws than that lizard's got, and he's always wanted to be the Crocodile Hunter.
Well, since no one said it ...

Ketchup, you really ought to stop biting and scratching, you're going to leave scars!

(Congrats on ... um ... doing nothing and letting the TMNLizard get itself out, Quid.) [Big Grin]

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Alcon, I have no idea if this particular variety is poisonous. I only know that they're strong enough to cause us humans serious harm if they're freaked out and we're in their way.

Sarcare, thanks for the linky. [Smile] Fahim also tells me that this type of lizard only eats small stuff like insects, so Oberon wasn't in any danger.

Ants, ick! Noemon, I'm glad you like 'em - you're more than welcome to come visit and play with the thousands and thousands of ants we have kicking around. Did you notice this pic? It's me, applying my borax/sugar poison and the ants sure are lovin' it! Until they all die, that is...

I gotta tell you, it sure is interesting living here, and yeah, I can understand you wanting to watch. [Big Grin]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

*laughs& JennaDean, yeah, thanks for the congrats. Fahim just sat back the whole day, laughing at me taking all those pictures and watching the lizard. He just kept acting like it was no big deal, which, I suppose, if you've lived with this sort of thing your whole life, it is. *sigh*
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.