FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
I just got back from Best Buy, and they had about 30 copies of it there. I was tempted to buy it, but I didn't have $49.99. Dang. I'll be saving my cash.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
So, has anyone had a chance to really play through this yet? I'm especially interested in seeing how it does on slightly outdated systems.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
I have it, it's very good and comfortably similar to Morrowind in all the good aspects. [Wink]

It looks good for about 2 feet in front of me and then goes downhill from there, but with a 9600 (the 2nd to minimum ati chipset) I can run it at medium textures, full grass and tree LOD, distant land, high water quality, bloom turned on, at 800x600, and it's only "kinda" chuggy.

My brother is spending 2k, to get a dual 7900GTX SLI configuration (the best possible at this point in time on the market), dual core processor, 2 GIGS of friggin' RAM, and basically a whole new system.

I'm hoping for visitation rights. [Hail]

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I wrong in thinking that the driver that will allow Oblivion to get use out of both of the 7900GTX SLI cards isn't yet available?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorely tempted, purely based upon screen shots, to try this out.
Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Am I wrong in thinking that the driver that will allow Oblivion to get use out of both of the 7900GTX SLI cards isn't yet available?
I think you're wrong. I'm fairly sure Oblivion -- like most modern games -- can take advantage of dual video cards.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the console version, and I'm addicted.

Then again, I have a few hundred hour Morrowind addiction that transferred right over. [Smile]

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:

I didn't think SLI which was Nvidia's baby would be dependent on the Oblivion program itself, if all they're doing is rendering half the screen and syncing it in tandem for faster render times.

Either way, I'm going to try and convince my brother that it might be cheaper if he waits until the new G80 gpu's get rolled out in June.

A single 9700GTX is plenty of power for this game.

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't stop playing..... Must attend to the affairs of Cyrodiil....

(I have the 360 version by the way)

Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
?
Member # 2319

- posted      Profile for ?   Email ?         Edit/Delete Post 
My Oblivion story so far.

I've put in about 15 hours and I am loving it. For anyone even considering buying this I highly recommend it. Even if you're not into RPGs I would get this. Of my five roommates, three of them have never been interested in video games and have gone so far as to say they hate them. Two of those three were so impressed while watching me that they've started their own games and love it and the other one loves watching us play.

Since I've only played 15 or so hours I can't give an in-depth review, but I’ll give my impressions. The first thing that stands out is obviously the graphics and sound. The voices are done really well. Besides Patrick Stewart I’ve recognized Sean Bean's (Boromir) voice and others that I couldn't put a name to. Oblivion looks better then any other game I've seen, and this is on a standard TV. I imagine that on an HDTV or computer that it would look a lot better. This is the first game I've ever played that I've stopped for a minute just to watch the sunrise in the game. It's that good. Of course most reading this already know how good the graphics are so I'll move on to game play.

The game play improves over Morrowind in almost every way. The fighting is much improved, but not perfect. Instead of just standing their like in Morrowind you have to actually move and block. Also, the ability to cast magic while wielding a weapon makes things so, so, so much better. It still feels like something is lacking, I don't know exactly what, but at least I'm not bored with it yet. The thieves skills are also much improved. Sneaking around trying not to get caught stealing is my favorite part of the game so far. Also stealth kills are the best way to go.

Traveling is better. I rarely use the fast travel. For those who like to go cross country like me but don't fancy walking for 20 minutes just to get to a certain city, there are horses to speed it up.

Other improvements are the organization of quests, inventory and maps. I thought that it might be a problem on a console, but I was wrong. No more Cliff Racers, at least not that I've seen.

Other things might come to mind later. As I’ve said earlier, this game improves over Morrowind in so many ways and I love Morrowind. If anyone is unsure about getting this, I would highly recommend it.

?

Posts: 219 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Just dropping by to say I'm addicted to this game. My work, sleep, and relationships are all suffering. I logged twenty hours just this weekend. I emailed my savegames to myself so I could play from my parents' house.

I'm also running an unsupported video card (using Oldblivion), an ATI Radeon 9200, and it still looks amazing. I'm upgrading video cards as we speak, but for now it runs fine. It did require some tuning of the shaders and texture and tree size and anti-aliasing and bunch of other stuff, but it works.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Bump to share my roommate's extremely excellent experience:

So we discovered two things:

1) People who like you enough will assist you in combat.

2) Enemies will pursue you across zone lines.

So my roommate tried an experiment. He went to Chorrol and shot a guard - then zoned into the Fighter's Guild.

We watched as the Fighter's Guild SLAUGHTERED the guards. It was epic.

He wandered back outside and the remaining guards attacked; the guild members wandering outside immediately lept into the fray (including Earana, for some unknown reason, who started summoning daedra). Soon enough, Chorrol was depopulated of guards.

We went to try this in another city, but the game froze fast travelling. Apparently it's tough to process the guards getting THAT angry at you. ^_^

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

Lol. Nice experiment erosomniac.

Grrr... During one of my Thieves Guild quests, I was supposed to steal a ring from a countess, but when I went there, she had two of the same rings, so I took them both. But apparantly, now the person I need to talk to doesn't recognize that I have ANY rings, and I can't remove one from my inventory because it won't let you remove quest items. So basically, I'm stuck and not able to complete anymore Thieves Guild quests until I either revert to an earlier game (which is 4 levels back) or wait for them to fix it. You'd think if they can come out with new content so quickly, they would at least fix the most major common bugs. I've heard this happening to quite a few people, so my advice is make as many save files as you need to! I myself keep 10 going at once, but even that didn't save me, and now I have to go back to one of my periodic 100th saved games.

C'mon.... patch.

Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
I really want to get this game but I do not know if my computer will play it. I have an Athlon 64 Processor 3400+ videocard and 1.5 Gigs of ram.

Will my computer do alright?

Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

What kind of video card?
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
Opps Sorry its a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Hamson, are you playing it on the PC or xbox? If it's the PC you can use a console code removeitem <itemnumber> <qty>.

If it's the xbox, then I don't know.

-------------------------

I personally have been having a lot of fun with enchanting stuff. My Bow of Explosive Whup-ass, which does 25 Fire damage, 23 Shock damage, and 100% weakness to fire, is powerful enough to launch anything smaller than a mountain lion into the air with one shot.

I shot a running deer and it exploded ten feet in the air and landed on the other side of a boulder.

I've also been leading Ogre's from Ayleid ruins on chases to city gates, and letting the guards fight them for my amusement.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
Vasslia, your FX5200 won't be able to play the game. The FX series has some serious issues, so unless you want the graphics to look worse than Morrowind, upgrade your video card. I had an FX5500 when I bought the game, and not only did it look bad, but it had about 2 frames per second.

I got online and read about a ton of other users with FX series cards that had the same problem. There are some fixes you may find on elderscrolls forums, but they are minimal fixes at best (unless someone has come up with some in the last few weeks that I haven't checked). The FX series was listed as a supported card by Bethesda, but they may have recanted that by now, I don't know. The pixel shaders on the FX cards just can't handle Oblivion.

I upgraded to the Geforce 7800gs and the game runs as well as anyone else I have heard from (you don't have to buy one that nice, though, to get good performance. If you want to save money the 6000series also runs well. I don't know much about ATI cards for this game).

BTW, my specs are: 1gig ram and 3.4ghz Celeron D processor.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
Vasslia, your FX5200 won't be able to play the game. The FX series has some serious issues, so unless you want the graphics to look worse than Morrowind, upgrade your video card. I had an FX5500 when I bought the game, and not only did it look bad, but it had about 2 frames per second.

I got online and read about a ton of other users with FX series cards that had the same problem. There are some fixes you may find on elderscrolls forums, but they are minimal fixes at best (unless someone has come up with some in the last few weeks that I haven't checked). The FX series was listed as a supported card by Bethesda, but they may have recanted that by now, I don't know. The pixel shaders on the FX cards just can't handle Oblivion.

I upgraded to the Geforce 7800gs and the game runs as well as anyone else I have heard from (you don't have to buy one that nice, though, to get good performance. If you want to save money the 6000series also runs well. I don't know much about ATI cards for this game).

BTW, my specs are: 1gig ram and 3.4ghz Celeron D processor.

(sorry, this somehow double-posted)

Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:

I shot a running deer and it exploded ten feet in the air and landed on the other side of a boulder.

[ROFL]

The paintbrush trick is also fun. If you didn't notice yet, paintbrushes have no physics in the game: gravity and external forces do not affect them. They do not move when you bump into them/hit them/whatever short of you actually picking them up. You can use this to build yourself some steps to some VERY odd places...

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

I've heard that one, though I haven't actually tried it.
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Aww, ero is holding out on the useful bug he discovered.

By the way, ero, this game is seriously tempting me to invade your apartment.

Again.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 graphics card, so I won't bother with this game for quite a while I think. I need to upgrade my RAM too, I "only" have 512K. [Big Grin]

I have been able to play everything else I have wanted for the past 2.5 years, so I shouldn't complain I guess. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

I guess, I should start looking for another card that will let me watch tv and play Oblivion...
Hamson
Member # 7808

Thanks for the tip El JT de Spang, but alas, I'm using the set in stone 360 version.

Nice bow by the way.

MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a question:
What is your character's name, race and what sign are they?

My character is a redguard named Nyla and I think she is the sign of the thief.

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

Wu Tang, Breton, The Thief, and his class is Backdoorsman.
Kwea
Member # 2199

That sounds obscene. [Wink]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it sad that I know exactly where this game is at Blockbuster?
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Jase, Khajiit, The thief, custom class "Ninja".
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Nale, High Elf, The Wizard (I think), Spellblade.

I wish there were free mods available for the Xbox 360 version of Oblivion via Xbox Live Marketplace in addition to the non-free ones that are already there (horse armour, wizard's tower, etc.).

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
Oblivion Domino Fall

Someone had WAY too much fun with the editor, methinks.

Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy. Crap.

"Way too much time on their hands" doesn't begin to describe it.

Toonces, Khajit, The Shadow, Acrobat.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Right now twinky and Juxtapose are neck in neck in the "best name" category.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Oblivion Domino Fall

Someone had WAY too much fun with the editor, methinks.

I'm gonna go with, "YEP."
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been thinking of naming my next character Xykon and becoming an undead archmage. I think the only way to do that in Oblivion is to contract vampirism, though.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

lol

Loved the linky, too. [Big Grin]

Squish
Member # 9191

- posted      Profile for Squish           Edit/Delete Post 
Damn. HOW? That's what I wanna know.
Posts: 168 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

Wood elf, sign of the mage, custom "Strong Theif" class
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

Thats awesome...
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
Breton?, sign of the thief, custom "A" class (basically battlemage + thief), Swamp

Geez Hamson, a Bosmer?

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.