FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » We are overdue for a SHINDA! SoCal folks, get in here! NOW with question on page 3! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: We are overdue for a SHINDA! SoCal folks, get in here! NOW with question on page 3!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I just realized that we are switching to 11 am church starting in Jan. So, when you add in choir practice, we won't be available until after 3. I'm not sure if I said that already. But 4-ish is probably the earliest we'd make it to rivka's.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*

When are we doing this?

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Good question.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll try to keep an eye on this, it would be interesting to meet all you folks despite my newness [Smile]
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Inquiring minds want to know.
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
*Wished he still lived in SoCal*

I had fun the last time.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Just talked to rivka. She has no internet at home at the moment.

So*.

We are to choose a day and all that works for us and let her know, "preferably at least a week in advance if we want food."

First of all, we are most certainly not doing next Sunday at this point. I think Rivka's is the consensus right now, and she's still okay with doing it at her place.

So let's narrow it down to two choices: 21st or 28th. If you can't do either, please tell us when you can. We're probably looking at early evening (sometime between 4:30 and 5:30), if that works for everyone else.

State preference on date, time, and any conflicts. Thank you. Let's work this out so we can party!

We are doing something all day on the 20th, but won't be out late, just might have clingy kids 'cause they're not coming with us the day before, so we have a slight (very slight) preference for the 28th. (If the 21st is better for someone else, it will really be okay if we do that, we'll still make it.) Our only conflict is anything before 4 or a place other than a private home, as already stated. Okay, everyone, your turns!

TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be up for either I believe.

Just a quick clarification from anyone who has done this before, is this generally something like an informal barbeque (i.e. I'd bring a bunch of shish-kebabs and/or pasta salad and/or tasty desert etc to munch/share) at someone's place (who actually has a place worthy of hosting a party).

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Since it's at rivka's, please don't bring any food or drink that's not certified kosher with a reputable kosher mark, in a sealed container. If you want to bring something, she can let you know what, where to get it, and whether something you want to bring is okay. (I'm bringing Martinelli's sparkling apple cider, which is certified kosher and contains neither meat nor dairy ingredients, and it will be in the sealed bottles, for instance.)

You don't need to bring anything; I'm sure a contribution would be welcome, but I guess my point is "it needs to be kosher, clear it with rivka first or bring something pareve in an original sealed container."

(If you DO want to bring something, here's a list of reliable kosher certs, I think the one that rivka has posted before.)

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Seriously, folks, input time.
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
We have no preference and are good for either of the days listed, Lord willin' and the crick don't rise (Superstation threw up last night, but feels fine today). We just wanna see lots o' folks and celebratify. And while I love seeing rivka, the ketchups and the saxons (and Ladydove, of course, though I haven't seen her post here), it'd be really cool to see Grimace and/or Alt, too.

--Pop 'n' fam

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Awesome.

D'you know what I just remembered? The first time we met I told you next time I saw you I'd sing "In the Leafy Treetops" for you next time I saw you. And I learned it. And I saw you and didn't remember to sing it for you!

Remind me next time to sing it for you.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(If I don't get responses from others who have shown an interest in the next few days, I'll probably ask them via e-mail to come state their preferences. So if you don't want me sending you e-mails, better post! [Wink] )
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Up! Up I say!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, we just found out that we have Stake Conference on the 28th. And I can't figure out yet what time that will be. But I think the 28th will still work, although the 21st I KNOW we have no other conflicts.
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Alas, I am fully booked for January; two birthdays, a trip to the snow and a play. I would love to see you all, so I'll keep looking to see if something gets planned for later in the year. If there is a Shinda sometime in early July or late August, I'd be happy to host and fire-up the water slide.
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*makes note*

Plan... another... Shinda... this summer. WATER SLIDE, MEET LADYDOVE, FINALLY.

Got it!

TheGrimace
Member # 9178

ladydove has a waterslide? or do you just mean a slip-n-slide? eitherway it's awesometastic
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

It's a waterslide.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

E-mails have been sent. Hoping to hear from those who haven't given input on the time in the next day or so.
Juliette
Member # 5484

- posted      Profile for Juliette   Email Juliette         Edit/Delete Post 
kq, just got your email. Sorry, neither one of us check this site very often. Anyway, I think evening on a Sunday is a bit difficult for us coming all the way from San Diego. We also just got a puppy so we can't leave him for very long. I'll check with Mike to see what he thinks for sure but that's my initial answer.
-Juliette

Posts: 38 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

If we do it the 28th, we may be able to do it a little earlier-- 3-ish? Worst case, we do it at 3 and our family is a little late.

But we can only do that on the 28th, not the 21st.

Would that work for you?

Juliette
Member # 5484

We could probably come earlier in the day (We'd probably want to leave by around 5 or 5:30 at the latest to get back to SD) but only if we can bring the puppy with us because he can't stay alone for more than 3 hours at a time. If we can't bring the pup then maybe one of us will come without the other. We'd like to see you all.
kq - can you pass on the message to rivka that our puppy is very mellow and would probably be sleeping/lying around most of the time.

Posts: 38 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I will be happy to.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

She says bring the puppy along, that is fine with her.

So, it looks like we are on for the 28th at 3-ish (I'm sure rivka won't mind if you want to come a little earlier, if you need contact info for her please e-mail me.)

I will send out e-mails to everyone with Rivka's address and other relevant information as the time approaches.

TheGrimace
Member # 9178

email sent, I'm a little daunted from bringing anything terribly interesting in the way of food (afraid i'll mess up something in the Kosher category) so how's a couple of 2-liters of coke/sprite sound? I just feel bad not bringing anything, but don't want to tread on anyone's religion by bringing the wrong thing (such a canundrum)
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I think a couple of 2-liters would be very appreciated. [Smile] Just make sure they're kosher. Coke and Sprite both are (here's a list of other kosher soda.) You might be better off staying away from "flavored" varieties, though; I know some of them are dairy and I don't know what we'll be eating. My husband will love you forever if you bring Sprite, he loves Sprite. And since neither of us drink caffeine (him for cultural/religious/upbringing reasons, me because I'm nursing a baby) please don't be offended if you bring something with caffeine and we don't drink it. [Smile]
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

see the trick with bringing caffinated drinks is that if no one else drinks them I'm happy because then it's more for me =p
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[Big Grin] There are plenty of caffeine-drinkers who will be there, so I'm sure you will get a run for your money on the Coke.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[flyby just before leaving work]

Big thanks to kq for staying on top of this, and keeping me up-to-date!

My new modem came, so if I can get the darn thing set up, I may actually show up here on occasion!

A few things.

I'd actually like to call this for 1-ish, if that's ok with everyone. I realize the ketchups can't make it that early, but Shindae are always drop-in-whenever sorts of things. And especially with people coming from far, who have to leave early . . .

Bringing stuff. First of all, thanks. [Smile] Definitely not necessary, but much appreciated. Most national brands of soda, potato chips (plain ones, at least), pretzels, etc. are kosher. Specify a brand and flavor, and I can confirm if it is (probably). As far as sodas, very few are dairy (the only ones I can think of are Coke Blak (which is nasty anyway) and I think one of the Cherry Vanilla mutations. Cherry Coke, Cherry Sprite, Wild Cherry Pepsi are all parve. Besides, no one but me will care anyway if it IS dairy, and I'll just drink something else -- so no biggie.

Oh, and raw fruits and veggies are kosher without any symbols stamped on 'em. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(As long as you don't cut them with your unkosher knife on your unkosher cutting board.)

And we may be able to make it as early as 1 or 1:30, I'm just not sure; it depends what time our SC ends up being. So 1-ish is fine with us. [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

(Preferably not. However, if the knife and board are both used exclusively for fruits and veggies (which health regulations require for such places as supermarkets and such), it is probably not a problem.)

New modem came. Ironically, I don't need it. I just needed the transformer/power cord. gah!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juliette
Member # 5484

1-ish is better for us, Rivka. Are you sure it's okay to bring the pup? Everybody else, are you all okay with that? We don't want to be a burden at all.
rivka
Member # 4859

Quite sure. [Smile] Too bad my kids won't be around -- they would LOVE the puppy to death.

On second thought, maybe it's better this way. [Wink]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I'm allergic to dogs, but as I mentioned before, I'll take my meds and be fine in an apartment that usually doesn't have them for a couple of hours. [Smile]

Emma loves puppies (usually) although it sometimes takes her some getting used to them. Bridget doesn't like them as much but can usually get over it, especially if she's held, which she usually is anyway. [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*bump*
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Are we supposed to post? We plan to come, though the number of us who are sick has been wavering between three and four, so there's always the chance of failure. All of our kids will love the puppy as far as we know -- nobody has shown allergic tendencies. Chances are we won't get there until around 2:00, I would guess, but we'll aim for "ASAP." Rivka (capitalized only because it begins the sentence), could you e-mail me with your address and/or directions, and maybe your phone number in case I don't have the current one?

--Pop

rivka
Member # 4859

Actually, could all those persons wishing such info please email me (address in profile) with the word "Shinda" in the subject? I'll send out a mass email.
rivka
Member # 4859

Three emails received.

I think I should have more than that, shouldn't I? Even assuming that the ketchups recall where I live.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*bump*

Next week, people! Any last-minute joiners? I sent an e-mail to rivka about sending out info, you should all get something in the next few days.

rivka
Member # 4859

Yup, I'll send something out later today or sometime tomorrow.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

[Wink] 'Twas the plan before I got your email, actually. Great minds think alike, I guess.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Or birds of a feather flock together. [Smile]
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, kq, I thought I'd let you know that you won't have to worry about being around the puppy. We started our little guy in an obedience class this weekend and so he has to be there every Sunday for the next four weeks. Unfortunately that means Juliette also won't be making it to the party, but I'll still be there.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Awww, that's too bad! But thanks for letting me know, I won't have to take my allergy medicine beforehand (which gives me a dry mouth and hypes up the nursing baby when I take it.)
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Dude, rivka, I totally never saw your post asking for e-mails...

You have ours, right? Or should I e-mail you again?

rivka
Member # 4859

Do you need directions?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

If you could just send your address it would be swell. [Smile] I have it somewhere, but I'd rather not dig for it.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Not to bug you, but I still haven't got an e-mail with your address. [Kiss] If we could have it before Sunday it would be helpful, since we're leaving straight from church.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.