FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So how does this all work? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: So how does this all work?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
The tots in the pocket?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, see, I'm just willing to let it go at this point. [Razz]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude.

"Dude, gimme some of your tots!"
"No, get your own!"
*bully kicks pocket containing tots*
"Oh, nasty! Geez, I haven't eaten, like, ALL DAY! Idiot!" (He had, in fact, eaten at lunch.)

You don't remember that? We laugh so hard every time we watch that.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, see, I actually tried to block it out of my brain.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome newbies! [Wave]

Articulate newbies, even! [Big Grin]

I started off as a lurker too. That's pretty typical. Eventually I felt confident enough to post more and more whenever I happened to have an opinion, and not worry about the likelihood of someone else disagreeing with it. Lately I'm in a bit of a downswing in my posting habits, but I still come here and read and post occasionally, and I expect I always will. Hatrack River holds a very special place in my heart.

I have met several dozen hatrackers. (Look for the "REAL Hatrackers thread" for a sense of why we have such a strong community here. It might seem like a cliquish thing, but since all it takes to become "real" is to meet a couple of Hatrackers, it's not impossible to do if you live in the US. And my point is not to encourage you to do this, but just to point out how many of us know each other in real life.) I have said this before, but it bears repeating: the people I have met because of Hatrack are most of the most interesting and enjoyable people I know. The only downside is knowing that I can only see most of them when they or I travel. There are people here I number among my very best friends, and people here I feel would be in that list, if only I saw them more often. I frankly can't do justice to the fondness I feel for my Hatrack friends.

So yeah, if it seems like Hatrackers are, in many cases, very close, it's because they are.

(I wish some of those handful of regulars who can't seem to be polite would attend one of these gatherings, because once you do you become much more aware of the person whose words you read on the screen as a real person with feelings and good days and bad days, and not just as a foil for your posts.)

[Smile]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

And being real is not required by any stretch. I don't think. I'm not real.

Wait...

[Razz]

[ January 04, 2007, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: quidscribis ]

Icarus
Member # 3162

I tried to make clear that it wasn't, but that the thread would help answer the original question.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

No, no, Icky, you did fine. I was attempting a funny. It evidently failed...
Icarus
Member # 3162

No, it was funny . . . I just wasn't sure if it was "ha ha" funny or bitter funny. [Wink]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Uh oh...

[Razz]

(Is that better?)

Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrack is a very interesting community. Posting is the best way to get involved (obviously). Get into a big debate with KoM or TomDavidson or Lisa. That'll make you feel right at home. Post in the Word Associations thread. You don't need any amount of cleverness to post there. Or the Ctrl + V thread. When someone posts a personal thread, don't just read it, respond to it. People remember that. I'm a relative newcomer here, but I feel very much a part of the community because they've been there through some rough parts of my life and I've been there for some people through rough parts of their lives.

And the most important piece of information which is necessary to succeed on Hatrack ...

Use smileys.

[Wink]

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Some things I've learned since joining Hatrack:

A mayfly is a thread that is of a temporary nature and may be deleted by the original poster when the needed info is received.

A dobie is a thread that is started as a parody of an existing front-page thread. It has a nearly identical title to the thread being parodied, and will include a link to another website. It's a form of pun. It was named after a former Hatrack member. Dobies are considered annoying and even rude by some members--but I get a chuckle out of the good ones!

Don't be afraid to ask about anything similar that seems like an in joke. I've found that Hatrackers are really very kind about "dumb" questions. I still have them--because people know each other, they talk about stuff us newbies have never heard of. If the question is ignored, it's probably because it's a passing reference or in joke that's not very important for anyone other than the immediate participants to understand.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Strangelove, you're not a newbie. Uprooted, on the other hand... [Wink]
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A mayfly is a thread that is of a temporary nature and may be deleted by the original poster when the needed info is received.

But, for some reason, rarely actually is.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

If only I'd posted 252 more times, quid wouldn't think I was still a newbie . . . *sniffle*
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

You know, I didn't even notice the post count when I said that... [ROFL]

...waits for Uprooted to figure out how else to interpret what I said...

Uprooted
Member # 8353

Oh wow, I should have just gone to bed like I said I was going to in the other thread. Because now I'm going to feel dumb since I'm sure I'm never going to get it! It's not nice to tease tired people . . .

I can be a bit slow on the uptake. I went to a New Year's Eve party with a James Bond theme, which I thought was the stupidest idea ever. It was days later that I went "oh . . . 007 . . . 2007 . . . I get it now!"

Uprooted
Member # 8353

Is it cuz I didn't use a smiley? [Dont Know]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Nah. I'm just messin' with ya. [Smile]

Go to bed. Get some sleep. Stop hallucinating. You'll feel better. You can deal with blood and bits in the morning. [Wink]

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I love to tell people that my significant other (Xavier) moved to Omaha, Nebraska from San Diego to live with me.
How do you know it's love?

When the guy moves from San Diego to Omaha. I can't think of two places that are more diametrically opposed. (kudos to Shig for reminding me of the word 'diametrically').

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

When the guy moves from San Diego to Omaha. I can't think of two places that are more diametrically opposed. (kudos to Shig for reminding me of the word 'diametrically').

How about Pukalani,Hawaii and Pocatello, Idaho?
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Or Canada to Sri Lanka? [Wink]
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Utah to New Hampshire?

quote:
I've even met some of the crazy crew (in the RL gatherings you often meet lurkers or rare posters, as much of the New England clump is these days
You say it as if one of us New England clump people posting is like spotting a Red Cockaded Woodpecker.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

[Eek!]

Whistles post.

Three times.

[No No]

DaisyMae
Member # 9722

- posted      Profile for DaisyMae   Email DaisyMae         Edit/Delete Post 
How about Utah to Columbus to Omaha?
' Course we're actually married, so I'm sort of obligated to follow the man I love. [Smile]

Posts: 293 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMae
Member # 9722

Oh, and Valentine, I live in NW O!
About 144th and Maple.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's strange. There really are no New Englanders who post here (except for myself, because I rock [Wink] ). But I've been on Hatrack off and on for a while, and just became "real" this summer. They're amazing people, and worth having long conversations. My suggestion is, if you find someone who you think is especially interesting, find their AIM sn and talk to them online. Or, if you want, find them on the Hatrack Facebook group. There are always some interesting people to talk to on this forum. That's why I love it so much. Welcome!
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I'm tapping my ironymeter, but I'm not getting anything . . .
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There really are no New Englanders who post here
Ahem. Both T_Smith and I are New Englanders.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

And I like New England Clam Chowder! So there! [Big Grin]
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't even know where I fit in. I've posted on this forum from Virginia, California, New York, Connecticut, Hawaii, somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean, and when I was out somewhere in the Pacific ocean. I'm the nomad. There we go. I can deal with that.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Daisy, you just about 2 (major) blocks from where Phil works.

*Dammit, going to post in drunk thread now.

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMae
Member # 9722

It's a small world after all!
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've long given up trying to follow this thread. [Smile]
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack, Tara. I haven't met anyone here IRL yet either, so as yet no one knows that I'm actually a cocker spaniel.

Oh, and Tante's the nice one.

And ketchupqueen is pretty nice, too.

I'm the preachy one who doesn't know when to shut up.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

- posted      Profile for JumboWumbo   Email JumboWumbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also new to this forum and I've a question: If I wanted to tell people where I live and possibly meet up with them, what do I do? Should I post a new thread?
Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Sure. [Smile] Mention the area you're in in the thread title and the fact that you want to meet up, and chances are good you'll get responses. Some of them might even be useful. [Razz]
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Free advice - take a deep breath and try not to take anything personally.

Some of the topics and posters can take you from zero to nuclear in short order. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Start a popularity list thread. That's a great way to make friends.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Jumbo, there's a SoCal gathering (Shinda, we call it, and we can explain that to you if you like) happening in Los Angeles in a couple weeks. Considering your age, I'd certainly recommend getting parental approval, but I'd presume you're more than welcome to join us. If you're interested, check the Shinda thread (somewhere in the first page or two I'm pretty sure *checks* here). And if it would make your parent(s) feel more comfortable, they'd probably be just as welcome to attend.

Welcome to both Tara and Kacie, in case I never said it before. My memory is going, you see.

Jumbo, I must also ask -- where in San Diego? I grew up in Clairemont pretty near to what is now Ray Kroc middle school (used to be Einstein Jr. High), living in the same house from birth to when I left for college.

Oh, and a big "Welcome!" to both Tara and Kacie, you know, in case I never said it before. My memory is going, you see.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

You have a memory? [Eek!] Where'd you get it and how much did it cost? [Razz]
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

- posted      Profile for JumboWumbo   Email JumboWumbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I live in Chula Vista, a bit south of where you were once stationed, but I attend school in Point Loma.
Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

I've been to Chula Vista. [Smile]
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
They only sell memories on a special case-by-case basis, quids . . . sorry to disappoint you. [Razz]
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Dang.
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Evie3217:
Yeah, it's strange. There really are no New Englanders who post here

LIES!
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Lies! Damn lies! And statistics!
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.