FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So how does this all work? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: So how does this all work?
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrack, I mean. A lot of people here seem to be really close friends. Is this just from the forum, or do you guys meet outside of the forum somewhere, (like in a chat room or in real life)?
On other forums I've been on, no one seemed to be very close to each other.

Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] We have occasional RL gatherings, small regional ones and (more rarely) larger ones that people from across the country come to. Some people are very in to that community part of Hatrack, others not so much. It's up to you how involved you want to be. People who live close to each other tend to visit more often, and people who travel for work or fun frequently post where they're going to be and see if anyone's available to meet up.

Some people do Hatrack Chat, too, but I'm not one of them so I can't tell you too much about it.

There have been several couples who have met here and started dating and/or gotten married, and a couple of babies.

Added: Oh, and I consider myself good friends with people here who I haven't ever met in person, too. But meeting people's always fun, and I try to meet as many as I can. Things like the gift exchange foster the closeness, I think, as well as things we've done in the past like a pen-pal exchange and the Reading Aloud club.

Added 2: There are also several people with family members here. I'm one of them, both my siblings and my parents are members, and my brother-in-law. And his dog and alternate personalities. Connections like that also add to the feeling that people here are close. [Wink]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the club, Tara! Like ElJay said, many of us have become friends (or more) through gatherings. I love to tell people that my significant other (Xavier) moved to Omaha, Nebraska from San Diego to live with me. He has been on Hatrack many more years than I have. I personally have met probably over 30 Hatrackers through small gatherings and at a Hatrack wedding (Bob_Scopatz and dkw). Hope to invite everyone here to mine someday.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
When I came here, I knew no one and no one knew me. We get to know each other on the forum. And sometimes we get together for a real life meeting. But mostly, we just type at each other.

I'm the nice one. [Wave]

Be careful. Some of them bite.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

Wow, that sounds pretty cool. So what's the age range here? For some reason, I've always thought of internet forums as a high school/college kid thing (maybe that's because my parents can barely work computers...)
But obviously that's not the case here. That's really cool. [Smile]
(I'm a junior in high school).

Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

We've had members are young as 12, although I'm not sure if anyone that young is currently posting. We have at least two retired members. So that's maybe the "range." I'm 33. There are usually many college students, and I think we figured out once that the average of people who responded when asked was in the mid 20s. But the "older" range does seem to be much better represented than most places on-line.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tara [Smile] . You're actually in the midst of a fairly good sized hatrack cluster; there are lots of people in the Baltimore/DC area. I'm in Columbia myself [Big Grin] . Nice to meet you! Looks like we need another get together [Big Grin] .
Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't bite...I just fire up the BBQ.

*gets out noob sauce*

Dinner anyone? My most favorite is roast noob. Especially when you put a Dijon mustard, and garlic sauce on it. Tasty.

oh, uh...errr, um.

Welcome! [Wave]

*shifty eyes*

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
It ranges from oldies like Rotar Mode (66 I believe) to young ones like Wyatt_Urp(less than a year old). I'm 17.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Tara, I'm 18 and a college freshman. I've only met one user(other than OSC, whom I met at a book signing), and that was fun. Unfortunately, I don't have a car at college and my parents don't like me meeting internet strangers, so I don't get the opportunity to hang out with 'rackers very much.

This is an interesting community, indeed. I have a few friends, and I annoy some people. It's the same for a lot of others. It just takes time and a lot of reading to get to know each other.

And Tante is the nice one. She's also very punny. You have been warned.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
*pokes Stan*

Cookies first, -then- eating. Gotta fatten 'em up first.

*offers e cookies*

Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ladyday:
Hi Tara [Smile] . You're actually in the midst of a fairly good sized hatrack cluster; there are lots of people in the Baltimore/DC area. I'm in Columbia myself [Big Grin] . Nice to meet you! Looks like we need another get together [Big Grin] .

Ya know what? I live on the east coast again. Maybe I could attend one of those. Depending on when it be anyway. I'm already planning to drive down to Atlanta in Feb.

Edit to add: Nevermind the Atlanta trip. The person I was going to visit is moving to NY. Yay, for being closer. But I still plan on driving south to VA again. I know I have some mail waiting for me there.

[ January 04, 2007, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: Stan the man ]

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*cough*KingofMen*cough*

Ahem. Sorry, had something in my throat. ^.^

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

quote:
Originally posted by ladyday:
*pokes Stan*

Cookies first, -then- eating. Gotta fatten 'em up first.

*offers e cookies*

OUCH!

*rubs ribs*

*Agrees with cookies first*

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
We have 12 year olds and grandparents, and everything in between. I'm 23, married with 2 young kids, myself.

We have people in all walks of life, from all over the world, we have all kinds of interests and knowledge and skills, and if you have a question about anything there's usually someone on Hatrack who knows the answer (or knows how to find out.) We love to help each other, we send each other things because we can, we have a yearly gift exchange, we support worthy causes together, we support each other and offer advice in tough times. We do each other favors and keep Hatrack friends in mind when we read a good book or hear good music or see something fun while shopping. We hand down kids' clothes, books, and furniture to each other. There's a reading aloud file-sharing group, a music file-sharing group, and a "free store" group (rather like FreeCycle but Hatrackers get first dibs), although all of them have been inactive for a while, periodically they'll start back up.

We love to get together (SoCal gathering being planned now, if that's anywhere near you and you'd like to come with a parent or anything Edit: just saw you're not, I type sloooow sometimes and am long-winded), and we love to have fun together, online or off. We are a community that values wit but also values kindness, fairness, and caring for each other, so we don't value attacking each other or ripping each other apart emotionally (at least not most of us.) Sometimes certain topics get heated, but we usually have no problems forgiving each other and being polite in other threads.

I <3 Hatrack. [Big Grin]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the landmark tradition also has something to do with the feeling of closeness. The way that works is that when you have accumulated a certain number of posts (500, 1000, 10000), you write something about yourself. Some of these have been pretty long and in depth, and they're all saved in the landmark forum.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brinestone:
I think the landmark tradition also has something to do with the feeling of closeness. The way that works is that when you have accumulated a certain number of posts (500, 1000, 10000), you write something about yourself. Some of these have been pretty long and in depth, and they're all saved in the landmark forum.

...or any number you like, 12321 or whatever, or have been on the forum for a year, five years, whatever. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello and welcome to hatrack! [Wave]

By the way are you the Tara from this thread

If so, congrats on having a thread about you before you posted? Well maybe, maybe not. [Confused]

But anyway hi! [Big Grin]

Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

Yeah, that's me. lol
A very welcoming forum indeed. [Smile]

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Tara.
Mmmmm...That reminds me... I'm behind on my landmark.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tara. Welcome.

I'm an undergrad doing architecture and living in Australia. It would be tough for me to get to a Hatrack gathering, but after posting here for a while you do get to know people fairly well.

The chatroom ElJay mentioned is an AIM chatroom (invite yourself to 'Hatrack Chat' if you're interested). There's a thread called 'we are chatting now' which pops up when people in the chatroom get lonely.

Alcon also kindly started this photo gallery, which you might already know about.

Hope you decide to stay. This is one of the most tolerant and intelligent online communities I've ever found. [Smile]

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kacie_lala33
Member # 9784

- posted      Profile for Kacie_lala33   Email Kacie_lala33         Edit/Delete Post 
I am glad that you started this post Tara, because I have been wondering for quite a while how everyone got so close. It is wonderful. I have never been to a forum where everyone was so close. Even OSC gets on her and that shocked me.

But I will add that I have been here for a while, but I can not seem to get into this "group" ...it is kind of sad. Maybe I am just to young or maybe.. I don't know.

But I love getting on here everyday.

So, thank you, everyone, for making this such a cool place to spend my free time.

Kacie

Posts: 56 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kacie_lala33
Member # 9784

- posted      Profile for Kacie_lala33   Email Kacie_lala33         Edit/Delete Post 
By young.. I mean I am 17. Not 12.
Posts: 56 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tinros:
quote:
*cough*KingofMen*cough*

Ahem. Sorry, had something in my throat. ^.^

I only bite when people say something stupid. And for you I make exceptions lest my jaws get tired.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

This is the part where, in other fora, someone would write:

ZOMG!!!111 j0u wuz just b1tt3n!!!!111
It hurts, ixnay?

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Kacie, if I may, I think you'll find the best way to have more people notice you and respond to you is to post more. They don't have to be long, serious, thought out posts. For getting to know people, fluffy threads are generally better. I know I've noticed you a couple of times, and been curious to find out more about you. But that doesn't happen unless you post. With 29 posts, there just isn't that much information about you out there.

It looks like you've been here about three months. . . that's 10 posts a month. Give it a bit of time, and post more. As people get used to seeing your name, they'll get a better feel for you, and respond more, and you'll start to feel more of a part of the group. That's the way it works. [Smile]

(Also, I should let you know that pretty much everyone sometimes feels insecure about their place in the community or feels like their posts are being ignored. It's usually not true. . . people tend to read more posts than they respond to, and they tend not to respond to posts that they agree with. Arguing is more fun, dontcha know.)

Euripides
Member # 9315

Never hurts to make an autobiographical post either. [Smile]

People are interesting things. I'm always curious to know more about them.

ElJay
Member # 6358

(For comparison, it looks like I have averaged 204 posts a month. And I am not what you would call a heavy poster, although I was for awhile. kq's got 504 post/month, and tante's got 459. Everyone knows them. [Wink] )
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by Kacie_lala33:

But I will add that I have been here for a while, but I can not seem to get into this "group" ...it is kind of sad. Maybe I am just to young or maybe.. I don't know.

But I love getting on here everyday.

So, thank you, everyone, for making this such a cool place to spend my free time.

Kacie

...and I think that's the first (maybe second) time I've seen a post from you. Maybe if you posted more you'd feel more part of the group. Just sayin'. [Smile]
DaisyMae
Member # 9722

- posted      Profile for DaisyMae   Email DaisyMae         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Tara.
I'm fairly new myself, and while I didn't get any resounding welcomes, (*pats self on back*) I have found Hatrack a place I can't seem to stay away from. I've learned a lot of stuff about a lot of things, but mostly I like the humor and wit. Wouldn't quite call myself "part of the community" yet, but I wear my newbieness proudly.

Valentine, are you still in Omaha? I'm in Omaha. I figured I'd bee the only one. Huh.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll echo ElJay. There have been times where I felt on the outside, and I've even met some of the crazy crew (in the RL gatherings you often meet lurkers or rare posters, as much of the New England clump is these days), and been here since early on-ish, and have 5000+ posts.

It's just naturally part of webboards.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
*sobs*

I've been here simply forever and EVERYONE ignores me!

[Wink]

Try to remember that whatever time zone you're posting from (and everyone else) will affect the number of responses, also. For example, since I am a mom that works outside the home and I don't post from work, I tend to post later in the PST evening, and the vast majority of our regularly posting folks are in other time zones.

This evening is an anomoly . . .

Gatherings are fun, too! Great way to get to know the people behind the typing.

[Smile]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, kacie, what Eljay said. [Smile] We'd love to hear more from you and other newbies/lurkers, we really would. [Smile]

And back to the "from around the world" comment, I'm in Sri Lanka. I'm from Canada, but moved here to get married to a guy I met over the internet who I hadn't met in person yet. I'm 38, have a fat cat Oberon, and have, at a previous house, had three lizards (3' to 4 1/2') living on the roof.

I also whine about the crappy not-quite-chocolate that we get here. [Wink] And everything else that I can't find or get here, like decent underwire bras. Or shoes. Or... yeah, don't get me started. [Razz]

Welcome, Tara, Kacie, and DaisyMae. [Smile] We're glad you're here.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Shan! I don't ignore you! I miss you when you don't post as often! [Frown]

And I post in the middle of the night to most of the rest of ya! [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tara! Hi Kacie! Hi DaisyMae! (I do recognize your name, DaisyMae . . . hope you've been having fun here.)
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah I'm from Manassas, the site of the first battle of the Civil War [Razz]
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Would you like some Chili Cheese Fries?

*offers fries*

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave] Hi, quid! Middle of the night-ers, UNITE!!! [Cool] And remember to wear your sunglasses, no matter how dark it is.

Given the awful nightmares I've had lately, I probably should post more often. *ponders*

In the last week, I've dreamt about people being burnt alive, chased and caught by crazed killers, and various other awful, gory frightening things. And I don't watch that schlock on movies or TV . . . let's see . . . the dreambook says these sorts of dreams mean "big change" . . .

Well, duh. [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]

Well, hmmm -- the math. 5044 posts since Jan 2003. 5044/4 years = 1261/year. 1261/12 = 105/month. 105/30 = 3.5/day average posts. And I do read far, far, far more than I write. Fascinating.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SoaPiNuReYe:
Oh yeah I'm from Manassas, the site of the first battle of the Civil War [Razz]

And John Bobit! [ROFL]

I used to live in NOVA.

Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

I'd LOVE some Chilli Cheese Fries. Thanks! *grabs a handful and munches*

I had a dream about working at a grocery store & letting some random man rifle through my wallet and being on a cruise. Odd.

Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
ZOMG!!!111 j0u wuz just b1tt3n!!!!111 lol`
kuzu ga nai lolzz1

"rusty robot from the future"

BYE EVERY111!!

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

I mostly post while everyone's asleep, and don't find new threads until they've got 2 or 3 pages...

I've never done this before, but

(((((Shan)))))

[ January 04, 2007, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: Euripides ]

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
I'd LOVE some Chilli Cheese Fries. Thanks! *grabs a handful and munches*

Would you like a napkin?

*offers napkin*

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
*pouts*

quid took all the chili cheese fries.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Daisy, yes Xavier (Phil) and I (Niki) are still in Omaha. In the Regency/Westroads area. Bob and Dana are just on the other side of the river in CB. What area are you in?

(I feel a gathering coming on.....how exciting! [Big Grin] )

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by maui babe:
*pouts*

quid took all the chili cheese fries.

There's still some in my pocket.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I thought you didn't like that movie, Steve. (Or was that someone else?)
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

What movie?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Napoleon Dynamite. Or did you not intend to reference that?

"Dude, gimme some of your tots!"

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Yeah, I saw the movie, and I still didn't get the reference. [Dont Know]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.