FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Moving into the city (Boston!) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Moving into the city (Boston!)
martha
Member # 141

- posted      Profile for martha           Edit/Delete Post 
Senoj, I'm referring to Tech Squares (http://www.mit.edu/activities/tech-squares/). It's a really great place to learn, because the class overlaps time/space with the club, which means that when you're learning you get to dance with people who already know what they're doing. I took the class two years ago and have been going regularly ever since. The dancing itself appeals to me because it's just as much a workout for your brain as for your body... and I love the community.
Posts: 1785 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kale
Member # 6460

- posted      Profile for Kale           Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, Wiggin what Launches!

Random tidbits from the top of my head, things to wander around in Central Square and find:

Brookline Lunch. It isn't in Brookline; it's on Brookline Street, very close to Mass. Ave. The place is the best cheap-good place I've found for breakfast, and they put all kinds of veggies in the "homefries." [Smile]

Pandemonium Books. It's around the corner from the 7-11. Very nice sci-fi/fantasy book store, and gaming space in the basement. Good collection of RPG books, some Warhammer terrain, board games, and a Couch of Doom.

Rodney's Books. On Mass Ave. Dangerous bookstore; be prepared to leave with a book. or two. or three or four or five...

1369 Coffehouse. Conveniently located at 1369 Mass Ave. For all your anti-Starbucks needs. [Smile]

Of course there are tons and tons of other things we could suggest to you (eg. the best breakfast in Boston can be found at Sound Bites cafe, in Ball Square, Somerville; the crepe restaurant in Davis Square is pretty darned good, as is Diesel Cafe; the Porter Exchange building near the Porter T has several good restaurants in it, including Bluefin, perhaps the best price-performance tradeoff in Boston-area sushi), but I'll leave it at that for now.

Best wishes!

Standard disclaimer: all recommendations are IMHO. Feel free to disagree; I'm willing to learn something delicious in the process. [Wink]

Posts: 11 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Soundbites is over-rated IMO (though it is still tasty)... And now with the new, larger space it isn't nearly as quaint. Sunday brunch at Johnny D's in Davis is where it's at, or breakfast at Renee's, a cafe between Davis and Teele on Holland St.

Also, one of the best places for great beer is Downtown Liquors in Davis. Their wine/liquor selection is mediocre, but the beer selection is amazing.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel bad that I'm not taking advantage of all of the awesome restaurants/cafes, but my biggest money-saver is careful grocery shopping and cooking at home. I'm amazed at how many cheap farmer's markets there are, with so much more than just fruits and vegetables. I'd never seen a "Trader Joes", "Harvest Market" or "Whole Foods Market" before coming to Boston, either. I had no idea how big "organic" was up here.

I have been to lots of bookstores and music shops, and it's overwhelming how cool and cheap they all are.

While we're posting reviews, I'll say that the Mass General hospital was absolutely top-notch in their service and hospitality. They told me there was a hospital in Cambridge I could have gone to, but I had no idea where it was. I passed "Charles/MGH" on the red line every day, so that was the only one I knew about [Smile]

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

All the breakfast places listed are pretty cheap (and if you do go to SoundBites, be sure to get their "No Place Like... HomeFries", that's their specialty).

Yeah, organic is big up here. Also, notice all the hybrids around. We're just a big ol' liberal mess of a place.

BTW, have you been to Chinatown yet? There are some great Asian markets there.

Most of the really good hospitals are in Boston. MGH, Brigham & Womens, Beth Israel Deaconess. I believe MGH is Harvard Med's teaching school too.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bokonon:
Yeah, organic is big up here. Also, notice all the hybrids around. We're just a big ol' liberal mess of a place.

[aside] I think it's etymologically amusing that environmental conservationism and agricultural regressionism are associated with "liberal" rather than "conservative" politics.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Hey, I didn't make the definitions, I just live with them [Smile] And both aren't exactly true regressions, neither are your grandfather's ways of travel/food raising. And, of course, a lot of the organic-related stuff is pretty bogus too (specifically the term "free range").

-Bok

sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never been sure why it's associated with liberal. My very nonliberal extended family is often more concerned about environmental stuff than my liberal friends. This has a lot to do with the fact they're more likely to try to live off the (their) land.
Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.