FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So, this mission is starting to look really foreboding... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: So, this mission is starting to look really foreboding...
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Katarain:
Why would anyone serious actually make that argument? ...

Ask Pascal [Wink]
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
"For a while, I was a little disappointed about the lack of RM status,"

I don't get it. Maybe I'm missing something. Would you rather he never have converted at all?

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm grateful for all those gals who wouldn't marry (well, really, date more than once) KPC 'cause he was unable to serve a full-time mission. Their loss, my gain. [Big Grin]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by steven:
"For a while, I was a little disappointed about the lack of RM status,"

I don't get it. Maybe I'm missing something. Would you rather he never have converted at all?

In church, it seemed like every week someone would talk about how you should only marry a RM. In some of the lessons, marrying a non-RM was presented as almost a sin (and for some teachers, I would drop the almost part). So, despite the fact that I had found a wonderful man who was worthy in every way, there was initially a part of me that felt like I was being unrighteous in marrying him. I got over it though. And yes, I am aware that if I truly wanted a RM, I probably should have been dating LDS men.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

"I'm grateful for all those gals who wouldn't marry (well, really, date more than once) KPC 'cause he was unable to serve a full-time mission."

Why couldn't he? I think you said before, but...my memory sucks. Also, you didn't go on a mission, right? I recall that you converted, and I know you've been pregnant for most of the last 4 years, but that still leaves a narrow window where you could have. Do converts go on missions?

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

Converts are allowed to go on missions, but they take two years of your life and a lot of money. So, if you convert at 12, it is more likely. If you convert at 22, it is pretty unlikely. My husband and I do have as a goal doing a couple's mission when we are older. My dad converted at 50 and he was very grateful to be called to a local mission. He felt like that was something he has missed out on by converting so late in life and with my mom's health, it is doubtful she could ever go anywhere. So, the local part time mission was awesome for them.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

"And yes, I am aware that if I truly wanted a RM, I probably should have been dating LDS men."

Did he convert to marry you?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by steven:
"I'm grateful for all those gals who wouldn't marry (well, really, date more than once) KPC 'cause he was unable to serve a full-time mission."

Why couldn't he? I think you said before, but...my memory sucks. Also, you didn't go on a mission, right? I recall that you converted, and I know you've been pregnant for most of the last 4 years, but that still leaves a narrow window where you could have. Do converts go on missions?

He had a personal situation that prevented it; some men can't for medical reasons, etc. There are lots of reasons why men can't serve missions, actually, and KPC prefers not to go into it. He served a Stake mission instead.

I couldn't have gone on a mission because I married at 20 and women don't serve until 21.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

Both of us would answer no to that, though based on timing it appears that way. He was interested in finding religion when he started dating me, so mine went on the list (he was also extremely interested in Budhism). Going to church with me was a guaranteed cheap date, so that was nice. He grilled the missionaries about just about everything. He insisted on reading the Book of Mormon front to back and understanding it before he would even consider converting. The missionaries did not really like him because they thought ok, he's dating a LDS girl, he should be an easy sell and he was not. It took him about a year to decide that he did believe in the church and could live by its rules.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.