FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » There are times I despair of the human condition.... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: There are times I despair of the human condition....
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
quote:

"Atheists are bad!" he yells.

I've spent some time on an atheist forum lately and I'm starting to agree.

*sigh* why is the world so full of people who can't live and let live?

Some of those forums are pretty brutal.

While attending my first (and quite possibly last) atheist convention last September, I discovered that a depressingly high percentage of the people there were pompous know-it-all douche bags. I was rather disappointed, and I sincerely hope this was not an accurate depiction of atheists around the world.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, as seen on Hatrack, I'm a know it all douchebag, but certainly not pompous!

xD

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was rather disappointed, and I sincerely hope this was not an accurate depiction of atheists around the world.
The people at those conventions are a limited sub-demographic of "atheists who are so wound up in it that they'll go to conventions specifically about their atheism" and it's guaranteed to have a similarly astronomical level of douchebaggery as is seen in the populations of atheists who frequent All About Us Atheists forums.

Pretty unrepresentative on the whole. Most atheists are not going to go to a convention about their lack of a belief.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

True.

Though I might like going to something like that, for the sake of meeting other people who feel the same way as me.

Because God knows I don't meet many of them where I live, or can talk about it openly at home...

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happysmiley
Member # 9703

- posted      Profile for happysmiley           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sick of people picking on Atheists. Atheisim is as much as a religion as christianity, even if we don't believe in god. And you know what, it's HARD to be an atheist. Do you think I wouldn't so much rather believe in god and fit in with everyone? But I can't. I can't even tell anyone, because of how terribly people at my school would treat me.
And do you think that that man would be allowed to say that if he was talking about jews or black people.
And honestly, most (not all) Christians I know are very hateful and unexcepting of other ways of life.
For example, my school had a 'Gay Pride day of Silence' this year. Some Christian kids talked all day about how 'Gays are going to hell anyway, why do you bother?' and 'It's sooo unChristian!". So?
And just because I'm atheist, doesn't mean I have no morals or am depressed. It just means I don't think the world was made by some invisible man who created people out of dirt and rib bones.

Posts: 48 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Atheisim is as much as a religion as christianity, even if we don't believe in god.
Oh, man. Did you, like, not get the memo or something? *facepalm*
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
Atheisim is as much as a religion as christianity, even if we don't believe in god.
How could she get the memo if you aren't organized? [Wink]

edited for clarity based on new revelation.

[ June 01, 2008, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
[Big Grin]

quote:
Most atheists are not going to go to a convention about their lack of a belief.
Perhaps not, but that wasn't why I was so excited about going. My motivation was more along the lines of what 0Mb said, and I was under the apparently false impression that this was why the majority of atheists would attend such an event.

And besides, Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, Daniel Dennett, Christopher Hitchens, and Ayaan Hirsi Ali were there. What self-respecting atheist wouldn't want to see these people in person if given the opportunity? I mean, their books are like canon or something.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Atheism is an opinion in religious matters. That does not make it a religion.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
Atheism is an opinion in religious matters. That does not make it a religion.

Not even so much "religious matters" as "theistic matters".
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Perhaps not, but that wasn't why I was so excited about going. My motivation was more along the lines of what 0Mb said, and I was under the apparently false impression that this was why the majority of atheists would attend such an event.
Haha. Thus why there's two sub-sub-demographics of people who attend an atheist convention: (1) you guys, and (2) the repeat customers who largely keep guys like you from being repeat customers.

I think I would sooner go to a furry con :/

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
No you really wouldn't [Razz]
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
In all fairness, I think the poster was trying to say that atheists have as much first amendment rights as theists... in which they are correct: for first amendment purposes, legally, morally, and practically, Atheism *is* a religion.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that makes sense, yes.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happysmiley
Member # 9703

- posted      Profile for happysmiley           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
It's a belief about God.
and btw, I'm a girl

Posts: 48 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Belief regarding a god or gods != religion.

Congratulations on the whole female thing, by the way. I've never tried it myself, but I hear it's nice. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

- posted      Profile for sylvrdragon   Email sylvrdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Belief regarding a god or gods != religion.

Congratulations on the whole female thing, by the way. I've never tried it myself, but I hear it's nice. [Smile]

If this were anywhere but Hatrack, this would be met with the obligatory forums response: "What?!?! Their are girls on the Internet?!?!"
Posts: 636 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
What?! There are girls on the Internet?!

Yeah. I went there.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

quote:
Originally posted by happysmiley:
quote:
quote:
It's a belief about God.

And, as noted, that does not make it a religion, but a religious opinion.
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I an Athiest or merely an unbeliever?
(what about, on myspace when you pick a religion athiest is secound.)
Christianity is a belief about God too, all religions are a belief about god and lifesytle.

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

"All A are B" does not imply "All B are A". Just what are they teaching you in all those AP courses, anyway? Macrame?
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

quote:

[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Yes, this is, indeed, very amusing.
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Dude, you're missing out.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
I would despair if I were not darkly amused by this situation. [Smile] Seriously though, I do not think this is that big a deal. So some morons decide to make themselves look stupid. Either they really are that far off from focusing upon what actually matters, or they are doing this as a smokescreen for something. Doesn't matter; what should be focused upon is political shit, not some poorly-thought-out advertising campaign.

Sure, find out who the owners support, why they support them, if they are corrupt enough to be blackmailed, etc. (By blackmail I mean politically only; if you just want to make money sell some drugs or get a job. (I would recommend the latter.)) But do not sweat it that bad; it is probably just a few idiots who think that God blesses Fords, and hey, everyone who matters to them is whatever denomination they are. This is symptomatic (I hope I spelled that correctly) of a larger problem, but the problem ain't going to be solved by wringing one's hands at every little gimmick.

The way to combat this is by living well, and semi-quietly not shopping at that dealership. By semi-quietly I mean telling anyone who asks why you refuse to purchase from there, but not trumpeting the fact like the anti-Walmart people do. And by living well I just mean do whatever makes you happy in this life, because if there is an afterlife we're probably all going to hell. As others have said, this most likely is merely for promotional purposes anyway. Seriously, who on earth would buy a Ford based on the dealer's religious beliefs? They just want their name in the news.

Either these guys are morons or they are calculating businessmen, but whichever it is, who cares? As far as areligious concerns go, there are larger ichthuses (ichthusi?) to fry.

Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.