FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What will you be doing with your seven remaining years before rapture?? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What will you be doing with your seven remaining years before rapture??
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
Sam's health is in no way harmed by my skepticism.
Unless it's placebo and you've undercut his belief in it!
Ah crap, that's a good point. Nevermind, Sam. Wheat is poison, you should probably just eat nuts and berries and raw scallops.
thanks dan!! but what diagnosis are you talking about
Is this like a smoking gun or something? I'm confused. I get that you have no formal diagnosis yet. I'm glad you're so aware of that! [Smile] I got the mistaken impression from your earlier post that you figured it was basically a foregone conclusion, but even then I respected that you allowed for other possibilities.

Does this question have some special significance to you or is this just the game where you ask a question a lot because you're convinced the person you're talking to has no possible answer to it? Or at least none that doesn't shoot them in their own foot.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
you said "I'm not going to rule out the possibility that the diagnosis is hogwash and his improvement is due to coincidence or placebo."

which is where the question 'what diagnosis?' comes from. it's not hard to look at my posts and see that i am not assured, personally, that I have celiacs, and state that it's only a probable cause (subject to further review) and definitely not an assured diagnosis.

so what do you mean by diagnosis in this statement? which diagnosis is hogwash? Do you mean the precautionary dietary elimination of gluten while I wait for testing to be done on that particular possible answer? Because I have no doubt that this is a wise course of action, medically, and is not hogwash. Or is it more a general condemnation of celiacs as a medical phenomenon itself!

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

You're saying it's "not hard" to read your post and reach a conclusion that I, in the post directly above yours, indicated I had not reached. I incorrectly thought you were treating these early findings as, essentially, a diagnosis. Didn't I just say this a second ago?

What's kinda amazing is that right after this, you suggest maybe I am condemning celiac completely. Even though I already stated pretty explicitly that I'm not doing that. Seems like a bizarre double standard, expecting me to correctly interpret your statements and then reading mine so sloppily that you make an error like that.

[ April 29, 2014, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: Dan_Frank ]

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
This is all about that it's important for Dan to note how much he thinks gluten free is a stupid fad, and it's amusing that people are on board with the fad even if they are actually made sick by gluten.

Except it's ALSO about how it's important for people to be mad at Dan for being like that.

Just barely eclipsed by how it's important to be shocked by people being mad at Dan.

I guess it's a little bit about whether you're doing the right thing or not, Samp, but not mainly.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
[QB] You're saying it's "not hard" to read your post and reach a conclusion that I, in the post directly above yours, indicated I had not reached.

Ok, and I would contest that this is no fault of the wording I used, especially considering that by the time you called my diagnosis hogwash I had already said there was no confirmed diagnosis. You just were pushing too hard on a mistaken interpretation [Smile]

quote:
What's kinda amazing is that right after this, you suggest maybe I am condemning celiac completely. Even though I already stated pretty explicitly that I'm not doing that.
More precisely, I am not nor will I say you are condemning celiac completely, but for all I know you could, for example, disagree that the phenomenon of celiacs involves this sort of medical response, and you wouldn't think my symptoms correlate with your understanding of what celiac actually is!
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we need to forcibly redistribute some of these threads. Sam has so many, and Dan has so few. Sam, would it be okay with you if Dan could have this thread?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

that's a preposterous gesture, dan doesn't even believe in the r

wait

that's it

we're SAVED

Samprimary
Member # 8561

it's official, this is now dan's thread. rapture cancelled
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
I think we need to forcibly redistribute some of these threads. Sam has so many, and Dan has so few. Sam, would it be okay with you if Dan could have this thread?

Commie.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

Pass.

You won't avoid God's wrath that easy, heathens.

Besides, forcible redistribution of threads (phone tried to autocorrect that to bread, which seemed amusing given the previous conversation. Plus Soviet connotations. All around just a good autocorrect) is immoral.

Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

I know, I know, Tom will claim it wasn't "forcible." He asked nicely.

But we all know what would've happened if Sam had said no. The IRS asks nicely too.

Polite questions that are backed up by jackbooted gub'mint goons are not polite questions at all.

Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

God does inflict wrath during rapture right? I never read that series but I think after all the atheists and Muslims and non-denominational Christians are Left Behind some sort of wrath follows.

Is it zombies? I vaguely remember someone saying it might be zombies. But that's probably just because zombies are In lately.

theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
I think so, or at least that is what I understand from the atheist pet care service.

But my understanding is that if you are a Jehovah's Witness, everyone bad dies and all the good people are left behind. My former Witness friend says she and her friend used to walk around their neighborhood and decide whose house they were going to live in after Armageddon.

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

Sounds like a lot of work for the saved, though. Lot of mass graves to dig, infrastructure to maintain... Yeah, I'm not sure that sounds very rapturous. Sounds like a lot more work than the regular world.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

it depends on if you are a dispensationalist premillennialist type, an amillenialist or you yourself are a zombie

for the purposes of the rapture though there are two options:

0. First, a 'time of trouble' (e.g., strife, war, obama gets re-elected to office, a very particular north american nation itself stops disallowing gay people from marrying*)

1. christ shows up. It's immediately visible and evident and obvious to, like, everyone.

2. suddenly every righteous person reappears, resurrected! if they were dead, I guess.

3. when this happens, there's no further opportunity for the unrighteous and the wicked to repent. if christ shows up and makes himself evident, if you hadn't atoned and been a goodly christian, BAM, that's it, it's too late, you're doomed. sorry.

4. kingdom of christ is established on earth, s'all chill

5. eventually the unredeemed come back or something it's all really hazy

OR

1. something involving an antichrist

2. the blessed/saved/righteous just vanish. they're off to go have a great time!

3. everyone else just left behind kind of gives off a collective "uh oh"

4. bad times

*pretty much what pat robertson rambles on about forever sometimes

Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

I thought in scenario 2 that the left behind guys like have a chance to repent still and end up righteous dudes. They just have to combat the Antichrist in a bunch of wicked Mad Max style fight scenes or something.

Which sounds great, because if every good Christian just up and vanished I would seriously reconsider my stance on atheism. So I was kinda banking on that "yeah okay god is real it's super evident now this is your last chance to believe" grace period.

You're telling me I've been wrong this whole time?

Samprimary
Member # 8561

well, yeah, if there's no incentive to repent and convert to the service of christ BEFORE clear evidence of christ, that would be terrible!
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

Next you'll tell me that purgatory isn't a place were all the chill atheist bros go until they realize they done screwed up and repent, thus buying a ticket to Heaven. [Frown]
NobleHunter
Member # 12043

- posted      Profile for NobleHunter           Edit/Delete Post 
That's why I like the Mormons, they don't hold decisions made in ignorance against you.
Posts: 185 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

That's one of many reasons to like Mormons.

It helps that they tend to be pretty rad folks, too. Exhibit A being most of the Mormon folks here and on Sake.

And exhibit B being... Every Mormon missionary I've invited in for a cup of water and some air conditioning has been super nice. Even though I very bluntly and immediately tell them that I'm not interested in their religion and am just offering because I imagine they get tired and thirsty. So that's cool too.

Oh man oops I dropped the joking and was genuine. My bad.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

you ruin everything
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

[Cry]
Samprimary
Member # 8561

thread was better when it was about mocking my medical misadventures imo

also i ordered the book

theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
What book? The Left Behind books? Dude. Libraries. My hometown library had 'em, the whole series. I also strongly suspect not too many are checked out at any given time. Never read them, but when I was a page in high school, I knew everything we had and where it was better than the reference librarians.

I also was explicitly forbidden from helping people find things, even helping the people who walked up to me and said "where is x?" (because it was the reference librarian's job, which consisted of sitting around until someone had a question so I should actually give them stuff to do, yah?). So someone would come to the reference librarian and say right in front of me "do you have any knitting books?", and I would go find a footstool, and leave it in front of the knitting books (they were on a top shelf, and badly squished) while the reference librarian googled the knitting dewey decimal number. Then go back to work.

There were things I really didn't like about working at the library. That was one of them.

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.