FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » NEWBIES! Front and center! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: NEWBIES! Front and center!
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] I'm glad to be welcome!

Yeah, when I first typed "way back in the..." I put "mid 90's", which is more "way back". But then I remembered the internet didn't get big until 95, and I know it was at least 2 years after that that I found hatrack.com. So I guess late 90's isn't so way back... Just seems like it.

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, late 90s now qualifies as "way back". We youngsters just have to come to grip with the fact that the decade we grew up in is 4 years gone, and we're on our way towards getting old.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone, I'm came here cause I enjoy OSC. I got hooked cause Bob Scopatz had a pun smackdown thread going and I can see the folks on here have a very real sense of community.

I'm a 42 year old married male. I live in the midwest. I'm a self-employed house painter that enjoys, reading fiction, playing with Linux, evaluating and brewing homebrew, and making bad puns.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]

Punwit you're a real person? I always thought you were Bob's altered ego.

Your puns put me to shame but I'm glad to have ya. [Smile]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
*BUMP*

There seem to be some n00bs running rampant around here. [Angst]

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm new. I'm from Ontario, and ummm... *looks shiftily around* I've never read anything by OSC except his posts here. But no! Don't panic! Ender's Game has been added to the top of my list for this summer. There's too many intelligent people here who worship his writing for it not to be amazing. [Smile]

So how did I find this place, you ask? I'm here because Bob the Lawyer would always use my computer to check Hatrack at some point every time he came to my house to visit, and I eventually got curious, and decided it looked like fun.

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swede
Member # 7560

- posted      Profile for Swede   Email Swede         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I qualify as a newbie. Well, I live in Sweden, 17 years old and a student. I have read as many books by OSC that I can get my hands on over here, but unfortunately that isn't very many [Grumble] I also have a twin brorther on this forum, but I won't tell you who [Big Grin]
Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mahabarata
Member # 7664

- posted      Profile for Mahabarata           Edit/Delete Post 
Newbies in all forums unite. We will rule the world.
Posts: 32 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avin
Member # 7751

- posted      Profile for Avin           Edit/Delete Post 
I posted the following in the other forum about a week ago:
quote:

Hello,

I just registered here, although I've been visiting Hatrack for several years now, mainly to find out what new books are out and such. I think the primary reason that I became interested in registering here now is seeing how frequently OSC posts and is a regular member here, which I think is really cool.

Regarding myself, I'm 20 years old, have been married for a bit over a year, and work as a software developer for an AI based company. My wife and I spend a lot of our time working through our church with predominantly African American urban children from broken homes and families from our neighborhood in the city of Pittsburgh. She co-leads an after school program for elementary school students and I run the junior high youth group.

I've long been a fan of OSC's books, and since being married, one of our favorite pasttimes has been reading aloud books to each other, so I've hooked my wife onto OSC as well. Shadow of the Giant was the most recent book we read, of course.

Avin

Posts: 142 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
Erm... an I Newbie? Yep, I am. Oh, well. [Monkeys]
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm a newbie, in that I signed on only in the last two weeks.

I've been an avid reader of Civ Watch/World Watch since OSC started writing them, and also have read Uncle Orson's reviews since back when he only reviewed "almost everything" [Wink] And, of course, I got introduced to OSC over 10 years ago, when I found "Ender's Game" in my 7th-grade social studies/language arts teacher's classroom library. I've been hooked since, reading anything and everything I can find with Mr. Card's name on it.

Strange, then, that I didn't even know these forums existed until I did a google search to find out more, if I could, about the upcoming E.G. movie. How incredible! Mr. Card communicates with his fans, plays games with them, enters into deep (and not so deep) discussions about his novels and about life, politics, religion, and the universe.

Besides, any opportunity to see more examples of this man's wit and intelligence is one that I will gladly take, particularly when I also have the good fortune to witness the wit and intelligence of all of you other fans of Mr. Card's work.

A little about me: I'm finishing up my last year of college work prior to becoming a band director. My nickname there originates from my high school years, when I was the student conductor for the local marching band. One of my classmates dubbed me "Mr. Zander the Band Commander" and the name stuck, but then morphed once I got to college into "Bando Commando."

Here's a big "thank you" to the Hatrack River community, for being so welcoming, so kind, so witty, and so intelligent. I've never seen an online community be so darn nice, and it is quite refreshing.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome! [Smile]

*bumps for KathrynHPerson*

*runs away*

[ April 14, 2005, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DemonGarik
Member # 7793

- posted      Profile for DemonGarik   Email DemonGarik         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm new as well.
Names Evan, just started reading forums and getting into the whole message board thing and I stumbled onto hatrack while looking at the cool new dragon army clothing stuff.
Read OSC since I was little starting with Ender's Game. I'm a poly sci foreign relations major at the U of Minnesota and just reading and re-reading all of the shadow series and then looking at whats taking place has creeped me out a little as to how right he has been on a lot more of whats going on then I could have been ten years ago, so I've been very impressed with all of the foreign relations/earth war stuff OSC has been writing lately.
Thats about it for me!

Posts: 84 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Another Minnesotan! Welcome! [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] There are four or five of us now...
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.