FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Accents you love (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Accents you love
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
I just thought I'd bring this thread back to point out that the Polish accent is now among my favorites. [Wink]
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Seconded.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] No point in flattering her yet, she can't read it at the moment. Apparently they are running around Chinatown somewhere with my printer.

I would also say Kama has the most delicate and refined Polish accent I know.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
*looks innocent* Flattering? I was merely making a statment of fact based on a sample size of 1. [Razz]
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Yeah I'm sure you want to take Kama's standard deviation...
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Ha! Mathematics humor! Gotta love it.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Tick your mind isn't far enough in the gutter.
TheTick
Member # 2883

:: polishes halo ::
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...I just thought of an American accent that I like.
There's a guy I know who is originally from Chicago, but has been other places enough that the accent isn't too strong. I could just sit and listen to him talk...he smells really good too...

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed 2: Cruise Control
Member # 6765

- posted      Profile for Speed 2: Cruise Control   Email Speed 2: Cruise Control         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad that people here can understand different accents. I was at work the other day. Someone called and said that they needed to speak with the person that they were talking to earlier. They described the person as a "woman with an accent." There happened to be three women working that day. One was from Columbia, one from Saudia Arabia and one from Bosnia. I asked whether the accent was Latin, Slavic or Middle Eastern. They said, "I don't know, it was just an accent."

I was blown away. I hate to sound like a cultural elitist, but I didn't think identifying the general area of the world that an accent was from was too difficult a skill.

Posts: 127 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
Monty Pythons French accents
Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
If you have no experience with the nuances of accents, generally speaking it's difficult to pick it out, never mind identifying the location of the accent.

Brit, Scot, Irish, Australian - each has a unique twist, but if you have no basis by which to evaluate an accent, it's harder to define it.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I talked on the phone today with a guy from Houston, he had an adorable Southern accent, a little thicker than a traditional Texas accent though I realize it varies by location.

I gave him more of a lecture on chemistry than I meant to, but basically solved his problem.

At the end he said something like "Thank you little lady" (It wasn't that but I can't remember what the actual compliment was) and managed to pull it off in a sincere non-condescending manner. I was left feeling like I'd recieved a compliment rather than wanting to reach through the phone cord and strangle him for sexist bias.

It was actually pretty sweet.

AJ

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll admit that I wish I had the variation on the Boston (really Eastern MA) accent my dad has. So soft, almost British in some ways.

All I have left from when I had it is the occassional o -> u transform in a few words ('hot' becomes 'hut', 'hospital' becomes 'huspital'). I'll break out wicked on rare occassions (it was unlearned in college my freshman year, because I used it so much, that my friends would thwap me when I used it), and very rarely drop/add 'r's.

Some forms of the Boston accent (like the Southie accent publicized in Good Will Hunting) I find rather obnoxious though.

-Bok

[ September 03, 2004, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: Bokonon ]

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.