FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Accents you love (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Accents you love
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Top 3 favorite accents:

Scandinavian(particularly Norwegian)
Scottish
Irish
Boston(can't help it-married man with one)

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I love hearing accents that I am not familiar with. I love Delenn's accent on Babylon 5. I also love Lando Molari's, what Porter and I call, "non-human" accent.

I was also just watching the Dune miniseries that were put out on the Sci-fi channel a few years back. They were very good about being consistent with the Fremen accent. I am pretty sure they were all people from a specific country/ethnicity/language/whatever, but I can't prove it. Whatever the accent was, I loved it!

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Many people have said that southern accents sound fake to them. To me, Irish and Scottish accents always sound affected.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Especially when it's Colin Farrel. [Razz] The longer he's in the States, the more extreme his Irish accent gets.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For husbands I prefer a slight Slovak accent. Like just enough to occasionally (but not often) say "wiolent."
Like Count Von Count?

"Sewen! Sewen is dee number of dee day! Ah, ah ah!"

[ July 27, 2004, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Org a nicka norg borg, org a nicka noo. Yea borschnick uhm deedle doo bork bork bork!

Or something like that....

[ July 27, 2004, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Scottish.

Preferably accompanied by a pair of blue eyes.

*swoon*

When I was in high school, I went to this world debating championships, and we came up against the Scottish team. It was really hard to concentrate on what they were saying because I was too busy basking in the accent. I think they did it on purpose.

Though I am pleasantly suprised by the number of mentions the Aussie accent has garnered. [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I'm in *love* with any accents in particular. What I'm really hoping now is that I have no trace of a southern accent, since so many people seem to hate them. Oh well, y'all can tell me at KamaCon. [Razz]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Are you kidding? I'd totally pull mine out, except...*sigh* I don't have one. Not usually. It flashes out occasionally, but I sound fairly bland as well. It's so sad. *sad*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I am pleased to speak unaccented english. However, whenever I hear the Queen's English coming from the mouth of a beautiful woman I pretty much keel over and die of happiness.

When I get back from New Zealand I'll tell you how I feel about the Kiwi accent. [Smile]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Southern accents. There are so many different ones.

I also love a French Canadian accent.

But most of all, I love to find out how accents came to be accents, and where they originated.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Mostly? Scottish. Highlands variety. (I know. No imagination.) Irish and Welsh.

On occasion, Harley. [Wink]

Preferably coupled with the long hair, leathers, tatoos and minor crimes rapsheet.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When I get back from New Zealand I'll tell you how I feel about the Kiwi accent.
You're coming here? [Cool]
Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever Alan Rickman's accent is, I like it. (I would say British but may be mistaken). I like the accent of the Weasley twins in the Harry Potter movies too. Annie, as for French accent imitated by non-French people... Quite hard ! I can't find any convincing one (John Malkovitch in Johnny English was not THAT bad but still not very good). If you want a good exemple of a French making no big effort to not have an accent in English, try the Merovingian in Matrix II (the actor's name is Lambert Wilson). Quite horrible, uh ? [Wink]

[ July 28, 2004, 05:56 AM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I actually like listening to all accents. I don't find all of them pleasing to the ear, but I do find them all interesting. I like to listen to the way people talk and try to guess where they're from. I don't often do a very good job, but I get reasonably close sometimes.

What I really like is listening for those accents that are almost not really accents. For example, I've noticed that, while people from different parts of California may speak in different ways, most of the Japanese-Americans (second-generation and up) I've met speak in a way that is very similar and just a little different from everyone else. Not so much that you'd notice it if you weren't paying attention, but if you're looking for it, it's there. Sometimes I hear it when listening to recordings of my own voice.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Hopefully. For 4-6 weeks in September-October.

With my father.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Wow, really twinky? [Smile] That's wonderful! I'm so happy for you. [Smile]
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Accents I Love (in no particular order):

• Israeli
  • British
  • Parisian
  • Italian
  • Icelandic
  • Minnesota
  • Korean
  • Vietnamese
  • Portugese
  • Russian

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Scottish and Irish are definitely sexy. But Yorkshire is impossible to understand. Latin women have sexy accents. Aussie is hot, too.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I probably won't get another chance to go with him, so I'm taking the one I've got.

[Smile]

Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Never quite understood why everyone is so in love with the Scottish and Irish accents. I don't much care for them, myself, though I don't mean that statement to be against anybody.

I like most English accents, though that's hardly an original thing to say. I'm pretty good at faking some of them. Like my Beatles impression, which is just enough that I can sound like I might be from Liverpool without being so much that I'm obviously just an American doing a Beatles impression.

I like the Japanese accent. Probably because I know some of that language and have an affinity for its sounds.

And there's something about a long-haired girl with a Russian accent that is just beyond sexy. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
OZZIE OZZIE OZZIE OOK OOK OOK!
Oh I like Irish too.
Actually I like a lot of accents. Home is best though. *is homesick*

quote:
When I get back from New Zealand I'll tell you how I feel about the Kiwi accent.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're coming here?

Well I'm already here and have been for over a week and you didn't ask me! humph [Cry] [Cry] [Big Grin]
Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
"And there's something about a long-haired girl with a Russian accent that is just beyond sexy"

Oh yeah I agree with that, course that could have something to with the fact the russian girls are just plain drop dead gorgeous.
I wonder if Australians and russians are related somehow, nah I guess it's not quite the same way...

Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about Russian girls, but something about Eastern European with cheek bones... [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

tt&t, what part of NZ are you from? I'm Dunedin today.
tt&t
Member # 5600

[Eek!]

What is WITH all the people coming to NZ?

I'm in Wellington, will you be in the North Island at all? [Smile]

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't beleive this hasnt been said, unless i missed it.

SEAN CONNERY!!!!

Come on?!? Who doesn't love that guy's accent?

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, Liz?
quote:
Top 3 favorite accents:
How many?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
haha good catch rivka
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Hums: Oh she's my dear, my darling one, her eyes so full of sparkling fun, no other, no other, . . .

Oh yes, Sean Connery. Young, mature, aging.

Can you imagine him singing that to you . . . ?

*sigh*

*Runs off to pop in Darby O'Gill and the Little People*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

"What is WITH all the people coming to NZ"?

We are looking for oil and things we can call WMD's got a problem with that? Your so called "antarctic research" program is looking awfully big and suspicious these days, and don't try to fool me with that "we've only got three thousand people in our military" bs, we know your countries greedy eyes have been looking at violating the international treaty and taking over Antarctica for quite some time now, or at least that's the only possible place near that you would have any probability of imposing your tyranical wills upon that's remotely worth conquering... unless... oh of course, now I understand, New Zealand and ally Australia plan to annex Indonesia and move in to deal with their countries' serious overpopulation problems... Well maybe not, but we'll be watching you!! [Evil Laugh]

tt&t
Member # 5600

Oh rats, you caught me.
suntranafs
Member # 3318

I fear I shall not make it to the north island, and so we will pass each other as ghosts in the wind, alas.
Unless of course I decide to hop on the ferry up there if it's cheap, that's the beauty of having no plans and the trouble with having no money rolled into one. [Dont Know]

tt&t
Member # 5600

It's about $50NZD, on the Interislander.

How long are you here for? Just holidaying?

graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
I love accents as well, and to tell the truth, I think I pretty much like every single one I've heard save two: Can't stand Fran Drescher's, and can't stand the accent Rosie Perez has. I suppose NY/Long Island or something in that general area just rubs me the wrong way. Beyond that, there's very little that I dislike.

Have also always wondered what, if any, accent Californian's have like myself (and West Coaster's for that matter). I've heard from actors that American non-specific accents like those of people from the West Coast or California are very difficult to get right because they're rather bland and colorless, unlike a Southern or NorthEast accent. I've heard others say that Californian's have accents like everyone else. What do you think?

[ July 29, 2004, 02:40 AM: Message edited by: graywolfe ]

Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

"It's about $50NZD, on the Interislander.

How long are you here for? Just holidaying?"

Ouch. I suppose I shouldn't bother asking if that's round trip? I could maybe do 50 but I don't know about a hundred.
Heheh as I say I've got no plans, but yeah it'd be immigrating illegaly if I decided to stay [Smile]
I'm thinking probably 5 weeks all told, 4 to 7 anyway.

Tzadik
Member # 5825

- posted      Profile for Tzadik   Email Tzadik         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the southern US accent - like the sound of it. And agree with Farmgirl that OK accent is very nice, have many friends in OK and I love the way they talk.

Although I try hard, I don't think I ever get rid of my Slovak/foreign accent in english. But when I say short senteces, I think I can fool a person [Smile] Earlier this year I was asked whereabouts from OK I am from (this coming from an OKie) - needless to say I was very proud *is proud, still* [Smile]

But I absolutely love my finacee's accent - standart mid-west english. Very nice and sexy [Evil]

Posts: 102 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, these are some of the accents I like: á, é, í, ó, ú, and many more! [Evil]
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

HAHAHA not [Wink]
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
accents are nice.

squeemishness is apt.

save for domestic redolence.

[Roll Eyes]

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

The actors obviously didn't mean "Valley girl", right, Greywolfe?

Like - gag me . . .

[Big Grin]

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
And YAY for Russian Brides R Us! [Big Grin]
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Snicker.

Ya know PSI, that's just a little...I dunno...creepy.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Hey. I just wanted him to explore all his options.
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
I think everyone thinks the way they talk themselves is unaccented, while everyone else in the world has an accent, don't they? It broke me up when our neighbor from New York City who had this very heavy Bronx accent was worried that her child would grow up with a southern accent. "Can't you hear it?" she asked.

When I replied the girl's speech sounded fine to me and it was her mother who struck me as having a strong accent, she was astonished. I guess she thought that we hear ourselves talking southern, as though we lay it on on purpose or something. <laughs> I thought that was really funny.

(Of course one of the things that some New Yorkers seem prone to do is believe the universe consists of mainly New York, with a few minor outlying areas. [Smile] Once on a plane a young girl who was very into the NYC clubbing scene looked out the window at all the greenery and said, "What do you guys have down there? Cows?" I was tempted to tell her that yes our nightclubs were filled with cows and instead of dancing we preferred bull baiting like the ancient Minoans, but I was afraid she might believe me. <giggles> )

[ July 29, 2004, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: ak ]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can't beleive this hasnt been said, unless i missed it.

SEAN CONNERY!!!!

Come on?!? Who doesn't love that guy's accent?

That would be scottish.
[Big Grin]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Californians have an accent. Friends I've met from SoCal have a slightly Spanish intonation to their vowels.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
does anyone around here speak Mandarin? The tone thing is a killer. My chinese coworkers sometimes sound almost "deaf", like they learned how to speak English but can't hear what they are saying? Perfect grammar, if you listen close enough, but odd monotones.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
So...doesn't anyone love brazilian accents? [Wink]
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Since there are several different tones that a word can take in Mandarin, they probably view our language as somewhat monotone. It can be difficult to learn that our tone and inflection comes from word placement and meaning. But I'm guessing that the opposite can be true, too: A native English speaker in Taiwan probably sounds flat, not to mention they probably aren't even saying the correct word.

Considering that the word "ma" in Mandarin can mean either mother, hemp, horse, or scold dependent upon the tone, there can be serious problems in conversation.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.