FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Flash Fiction Friday 9: Sentient Tomatoes (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Flash Fiction Friday 9: Sentient Tomatoes
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for letting me know. I'm checking into it.

I know other scripts work in wordpress and blogger, so I'm trying to figure out what the difference is with this one. I'll get back to you in a bit. Also hav to get brekkie first for Fahim - he's starting to whine. [Smile]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
For those of you on Blogger, I found that both the original script code (with script src="http://www.lmashton.com/fff/fff2.php") and the latest version (with 'javascript') will work if, after getting the first error message rejecting the 'script' tag, you select the option "Ignore HTML errors on this entry" (or words to that effect).
Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, JVP. Quid, I tried that and it does add the link and the text. The graphic is still missing, however; just an empty little box shows up.

(now I'm racking my brain to try to remember whether I clicked that "ignore HTML errors" box when I submitted FFF#2 last week; I may have. Or is that wracking my brain? Too lazy to go look it up!)

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
The graphic is missing for me too. I think, Quid, you need to change the permissions on those images to make them read/write/execute for the world (not sure). I can't even access the images in my browser directly using http://www.lmashton.com/fff/fff3.jpg

[ September 10, 2006, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: John Van Pelt ]

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
The third challenge doesn't have a picture. It's all text.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Cay, I'm talking about the lightning bolt graphic that says Flash Fiction Friday on it--I'm not sure if that's what John was referring to as well.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

It is. The lightning bolt graphic. What I was. Referring to.

Darn this assignament. It hath ruinated my writting skillz.

larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay... I looked for some work arounds for this problem with Wordpress. I found several. One was for javascript, but it didn't work. For the rest, I had to treat this as a php include or require. I did find two that seem to work, but as of right now, because the page being called uses javascript some of the javascript code is showing up along with the flash fiction code. Guess I can live with that for now.
Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

I wonder if this old technique might help you:

Commenting scripts in JavaScript
The JavaScript engine allows the string "<!--" to occur at the start of a SCRIPT element, and ignores further characters until the end of the line. JavaScript interprets "//" as starting a comment extending to the end of the current line. This is needed to hide the string "-->" from the JavaScript parser.
code:
<SCRIPT type="text/javascript">
<!-- to hide script contents from old browsers
function square(i) {
document.write("The call passed ", i ," to the function.","<BR>")
return i * i
}
document.write("The function returned ",square(5),".")
// end hiding contents from old browsers -->
</SCRIPT>

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I'll change permissions. I currently have hotlinking protection on, I think, and that's what's preventing you from accessing it.

Also, I might have to change the code slightly for the graphic to show, but that's easy enough.

John, thanks for that suggestion. I'll have to try it out. Or soemthing. [Wink]

Also, I've found a collapsing thingie for the sidebar so if anyone wants, they can put it in their sidebar and it takes up only one line in height until you expand it. That certainly takes up a lot less real estate. It's a flooble script.

I'm barely coherent at the moment - just waking up - and I'm still seeing speckles... I'll post a little more when I actually have intelligence running through my head. [Smile]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Hey, everyone, I'm not dead, I've just been feeling lousy and haven't been at my computer much and haven't had the brains to figure anything out. Sorry. Hope you haven't felt abandoned or anything.

I have a couple of code solutions posted at my blog and another one that I haven't just because my head feels like it wants to explode a la Alien. Try what's posted if you haven't already. If you have, I'll type up the other soon.

Meanwhile, if that's all that's holding you back, please don't. Email (preferably) details on your FFF so I can at least get that put together and we'll work out code solutions as quickly as we can. [Smile]

And remember, Thursday's the deadline, so get 'em in!

John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

Chanpheng -- your blog doesn't seem to want to accept my comment, which follows:

Fluffy?? Why not just name the cat Furry? ;-)

A delightfully bad read -- you've got a ... certain je ne sais.

BTW, Quid, the Flash Friday graphics are showing up now, so whatever you did is working.

Feel better soon!!

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Chanpheng isn't on Hatrack, so she won't see your comments here. I've collected people from a few places I frequent. [Smile] And some I don't know how they found me... [Eek!] [Big Grin]

I'd suggest that, if anyone can't leave comments, to leave it on my blog for that week's FFF. They're more likely to see it there.

And it was the hotlinking...

(And it's hot flashes, fuzzy head, headachey perimenopause hell type stuff, so I'll feel better in 4-10 years. [Razz] Thanks, though. [Smile] )

CaySedai
Member # 6459

Changing the code doesn't work for me - I get this in Blogger:

Your HTML cannot be accepted: Tag is not allowed: (it then lists the code, which I can't show on the forum)

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

CaySedai -- immediately when you get that message, you should see also a new option on the page to "ignore HTML errors on this post." Select it, and resubmit -- it should work.
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Okay, I'll try that. Although, I did check the main page at Peregrinas and the latest info indicates that the script won't work in the main part of my blog. My options seem to be putting it in the sidebar or using a massive html entry.
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Got it working and updated the other two. Newest entry is here.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Hey, I could be wrong, ya know. [Smile]
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Ill have my entry done sometime today! Ill also read alot more entrys by others and leave comments. If I am mean, it MUST be becasue I am self concious about the fact that your entry is better than mine [Wink]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

BlackBlade: don't worry. This week we're aiming at worse . [Wink]
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I will have this done by midnight in California! I promise!
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

You have until midnight in, um, Hawaii, if that's the last time zone... [Big Grin]

And...

FLASH FICTION FRIDAY 4 IS UP!!!!!

DaisyMae
Member # 9722

- posted      Profile for DaisyMae   Email DaisyMae         Edit/Delete Post 
quidscribis -

just a friendly note. i don't know if you care or not, but i submit flash fiction to quite a number of sites and if you are interested in making your flash fiction fridays more user friendly, you could change it so that instead of having to go to separate blogs to read all the entries, you just have people email you their flashes and you post them all on your blog. just letting you know that's how a lot of other flash hosts are doing it.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMae
Member # 9722

- posted      Profile for DaisyMae   Email DaisyMae         Edit/Delete Post 
p.s. i say this because I would love to participate, even have a blog, but, not being terrible computer literate, find that I have no idea what you are talking about with your script instructions and stuff. if you just post each entry as a separate post then each one can get its own comments. it makes it particularly easy for you if you just have people copy their text into the body of their email.
Posts: 293 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a cheater. Yes, I am. Don't try to argue with me. I am trying to wallow in my shame. I submitted my #3 entry to quid after midnight. I don't even know if I managed a bad story. Cheesey, most definitely.

Here is my FFF#3 entry: "It's Always Better to Take the Gun"

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

DaisyMae, the reason I have it set up so we each post on our own blog is so that we can each experience increased traffic to our blogs, increased readership, increased search engine rankings, and increased Technorati rank. That won't happen if I post all of it to my own blog.

I appreciate that the way you suggest can make it friendlier for those who are less tech-literate, but that's all it will do, in my opinion. I'd rather that each author has the opportunity to benefit further from this experience. [Smile]

If you need help figuring out technical stuff, just ask. Someone, if not me, will be able to help. [Smile]

Larisse, it's not the end of Thursday everywhere yet. That doesn't happen for a few more hours. But if it's that you don't want leeway because you want to trick your brain into thinking it's earlier so that you'll do it sooner next time, then I'll shut up now. [Big Grin]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had a four-day headache and was unable to get to it. [Frown]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

If you're feeling better, you still have a few more hours. [Smile]
blacwolve
Member # 2972

Gah! I'm sorry, our internet has been sporadic, and it went out last night before I could post. Sorry!
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Have you posted it yet? Have you emailed me yet?

I hate doing time zone calculations. Don't make me do it... Just get the email to me...

blacwolve
Member # 2972

Ok [Big Grin]
blacwolve
Member # 2972

Ok, I can't get the code to work now. I copy and pasted the two lines of code you have on the website, but when I preview post it just looks like it doesn't exist.

I read the other options, but I don't understand them.

I'm sorry to be a trouble, I'm a dolt when it comes to computers.

Edit: Nevermind, it's working now.

blacwolve
Member # 2972

And sent!
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Okey dokey then. [Smile]

And I've got it... [Big Grin]

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Bah! I missed #3 [Frown]

Just too busy at work. Ill work at #4 now!

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

(If you bribe me and get it done today...)
blacwolve
Member # 2972

I don't know who chanpheng is, but their blog will not let me post a comment. I keep on getting this error.

quote:
HTTP method POST is not supported by this URL
Error 405

I am computer-illiterate, I'm sorry.

Anyway, in case you read this, here's the comment I've been trying to post for hours.

quote:
I love the first sentence/paragraph, it runs on just long enough to be horribly funny, but not so long as to just be horrible.

Uprooted
Member # 8353

quidscribis, no entry from you for FFF#3??? [Cry]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

I've been feeling like crap for days and, um, I'm writing it now... [Big Grin] That's the other part of the reason why I'm not paying attention to the time from others. *cough* *ahem*

blacwolve and anyone else who can't post a comment on someone's site - post the comment to my blog for that flash fiction prompt.

Not everyone who participates is on Hatrack, and that includes Chanpheng. [Smile]

Uprooted
Member # 8353

Oh, sorry, you did mention a few days earlier that you were feeling lousy -- hope you start feeling better soon!

And thanks for all your work on the script. Seems to be working fine on my blogspot page now, once I did as JVP suggested and clicked on "ignore HTML errors."

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Yay!

I'm feeling a bit better, and at least well enough that I can actually focus on a screen and write coherent sentences. It's not constant pain anymore. [Smile]

I'm writing a really really bad sporting piece, and not only am I no good at this particular sport, I don't know the rules and it's been decades since I've played (phys ed), so it's going to a whole other layer of bad. [Big Grin]

blacwolve
Member # 2972

I figured he didn't, but on the off chance he did I thought it was worthwhile to post it here. It will now go on your blog.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

I've posted mine. It's... bad.
CaySedai
Member # 6459

It's Thursday - do you know where your Flash Fiction is?

Or to be more accurate, are you going to be writing madly today, just like me? Get to work, people! [Evil]

CaySedai
Member # 6459

By that, I mean: Get to work, me!
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Oh dear, yes, today is Thursday! It also means I have to get my next one ready...

My sister and nephew flew into town last Sunday, so I'm really enjoying their company, which also means that, other than doing stuff with them, I'm doing not much. [Smile]

So get yer writing done! Come one, come all, and write about elephants!

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh darn it! I need to stop procrastinating! I was gonna do it today and now I have two sick kids and don't feel so hot myself! *shakes fist at the universe* Why won't you allow me to procrastinate? Why?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Because it's mean?
Uprooted
Member # 8353

It's still Thursday in lots of places, right?
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Hey, I keep telling ya, don't make me do time zone calculations. [Smile] As long as I can reasonably think it's still Thursday, it works. And when you left the messge, it definitely was.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.