FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Flash Fiction Friday 9: Sentient Tomatoes (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Flash Fiction Friday 9: Sentient Tomatoes
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
For this week, yes, it's 1000 words. I think she plans to vary the limits and parameters each week. I just finished mine, though, and it turned out only 444.

Oh, well. [Wink]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, Jenna, I have.

With each new prompt, there may be different components, like mystery or suspense or romance genre, or it has to include a certain phrase as the last sentence, or include three specific words, or be in first person, or it has to be exactly 67 words, or... You know, to twist our brains around. [Big Grin] Makes it a bit more fun, I think.

For me, this isn't about serious writing. This is about having fun. Like larisse, I want to have fun writing again, and maybe by having fun, I'll do more of it. Teach the muse a few more tricks perhaps. [Smile]

And larisse, I'm glad you're having fun writing again. [Smile]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
So, did you get my e-mail? *pesters quid*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I did.

But I have a headache the size of Texas, so went for a lie down. Took drugs. Hoping they'll kick in. I'm barely coherent and look like !@#!!

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Awwww. I hate it when I look like @#!!. I hope you feel better soon. [Kiss]
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
What's the prompt? I can't seem to locate it. Or see it.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Sorry, Steve, for taking so long to reply. I have not been feeling well and haven't been on my computer much.

Flash Fiction Friday #2.

Also, when you're done, please email me with the pertinent detail at lm (at) lmashton (dot) com. You can also announce it here if you want, but please also email to me. It makes my life easier. [Smile] Thanks.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

CaySedai, I can't comment on your blog, either. You could consider changing it to allow anonymous users but moderate those posts to minimize spam. [Smile]
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about that, I didn't realize it was in "registered users only" mode. I think it's fixed now.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

So, anyone else in?
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
In what?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
I just posted. 650 wds. Emailed you, Laurie.
Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Um, for this week's flash fiction, blacwolve. [Smile]

John, got the email. [Smile]

CaySedai
Member # 6459

Eeek. I've been putting this off. I'll try to get something in before the end of the day today. [Eek!]
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

Oh, sorry. I was confused. I forgot you could turn them in all week.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh.... I have finally finished my piece and it is about 60 words passed the limit. I've already gone through it twice to get it down further, but I can't. This is so frustrating. What's worse... okay so it's not worse... is that I like the story the way it is. Bah... I am going to post it to my blog, and if anyone can help me make it 1,000 words or less, I will give them a virtual cookie. This is kind of a strange place to be in after years of not writing. Thanks a lot, quid. [Smile]

Oh, I am going to make the post password protected, but the password will be ff2.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

Well... mine is up. Over the limit, but it's up. It is password protected for now. I'll remove that in a few weeks or so. The password is ff2.
Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok I added an entry for flash fiction #2. And for good measure I went ahead and did one for the first flash fiction. Enjoy it - If you can [Wink]

http://blackbladefiction.blogspot.com/

I stayed in the 250 word limit [Frown] it was hard. It only makes it worse that I know now I didnt need to restrict it to that many!

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I just created a blog and added an entry. And I so don't know what I'm doing! Here it is:

http://uprooted-in-georgia.blogspot.com/

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

I got a blogger account just for this. The first thing I did was update it with this weeks flash fiction. Now, I want to update it again. So we're fighting, and I'm losing. Can anyone tell me how to update the darn thing?
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
Look for the Blogger button -- in the margin, usually, of your blog. That should take you to a login screen, or, if you're already logged in, a console listing your blog(s) and options to make a new post or edit existing posts.

Also, if you are logged in, any existing post should have a pencil icon below it, allowing you to edit it directly.

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

Ah, thank you! I thought that was one of those donation icons and carefully didn't click it. [Smile]
larisse
Member # 2221

Okay, I've edited my piece down to 1,000 words. I've also taken off the password protection. Hopefully, the comment is working.

Thanks for the editing help, John Van Pelt.

Oops, I forgot to add this. My flash fiction friday #2 entry.

blacwolve
Member # 2972

You know, I've been waiting all week for the next prompt to come up. I've also been writing every day this week, something I haven't done in ages.

So thanks quid, this has already had a huge effect on me and my writing.

Uprooted
Member # 8353

I second blackwolve's thanks--I don't think I've written a piece of fiction since I was in a creative writing class in college (mumbles behind hand *almost 20*) years ago. And I don't know why I suddenly decided to jump in and try, but it was fun! Even though I did realize with chagrin, after I posted it, how derivative some of the concepts are from the fantasy series I've been reading lately.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

Uprooted- I think that's the point, it doesn't matter how derivative it is or anything. As long as you enjoy doing it.
CaySedai
Member # 6459

I've posted my entry for week 2, but haven't looked at the other stories yet. I'll try to do that in the morning.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

blacwolve and Uprooted, you are such darlings! Thank you for the kind words. You've made my day. [Kiss]

And no, it doesn't matter how bad it is or how cliche ridden it is or... Speaking of which, I need to get the next prompt up. [Big Grin] I'm evil. [Big Grin]

I had an incredible English teacher in high school. Some of our assignments to him were not, oh, promoting quality writing, but sure were dang fun. I'm planning on doing some of those with Flash Fiction Friday. Because I can and whimsy can be a good thing sometimes. [Big Grin] Today is one of them. [Big Grin]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Flash Fiction Friday #3 is up! Play early, play often!

FFF#2 isn't over yet. With the deadling being midnight Thursday in the last time zone, and with it now being 3:26pm at GMT+5.5, that's, uh, carry the two, subtract 7, uh... That's still a bunch of hours away. [Big Grin] You still have time to get in on the action!

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Ooooh, this looks fun. Heh, heh, heh.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Glad you think so. [Big Grin]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(aside: quid, are you on your messenger?)

(Yes, everyone, feel free to take that in completely inappropriate ways. [Roll Eyes] But remember that you're not supposed to be reading asides. [Razz] )

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Am now.

And I read asides all the time. [Razz]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, I do, too.

And I am, too.

But I didn't realize it could be read that way until two minutes after I posted it. Oops.

(You're still showing up offline to me. Hmmm.)

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Oh, no wonder! You're on Yahoo! Hang on...
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*hangs on*
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*stops hanging on*

I'm going to bed now. Good... day or whatever. (Why is it that I can NOT keep our time difference straight?)

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Sorry. Trillian isn't working with Yahoo anymore, so I had to install Yahoo messenger, and it had to have all browsers closed while it installed, and it took fuhevah! *sigh*

I can't keep time differences straight either.

Uprooted
Member # 8353

LOL! OK, I'm hooked--my opening line is already cracking me up. Now to maintain the badness . . . [ROFL]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

[Big Grin] Excellent! I'm dreading reading your total piece of crap! [Big Grin]
CaySedai
Member # 6459

I've got a start - used three words and the opening phrase already.

In my high school English class, a couple of students had a serial story about a woman named Rose who was involved with a vampire. Rose always wore a negligee-type garment called a Scha-swa. At least, that was how it was pronounced. It was spelled differently every day. [Wink]

Anyway, this reminds me of that story. Mark and Cara would read the latest version of the story in class, and we enjoyed listening to it. So, I'm going for some of the absurdity of that story. It's fun.

Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
Rats. This is WAY too much fun.

I am supposed to be critiquing, and I'm crafting BAD PROSE.

Expect the worst next week [Big Grin] .

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

So let me get this straight, you want us to write something schlocky and campy and would fit right in as the screenplay for a bad b-movie? And, you want us to use words that have no business being on the same dictionary page much less in the same paragraph? And, on top of that, you want it done by next Thursday? Phew... I thought you wanted us to do the impossible.

You know what? I once had a dream that would work for this. Funnily enough, it involved zombies, and somehow I ended up naked and showed up 50 minutes late for a one hour final. That's at least two words right there. Guess I should get to writing.

Uprooted
Member # 8353

Oh larisse, I hope that's the story you write, I'm already looking forward to reading it!!
larisse
Member # 2221

Hmmm... well... okay. I was being facetious about the being naked and showing up 50 minutes late for a final. Those were just examples of that whole cliche thing. (Yeah... that's it.) Although, I have had dreams where I end up having to take a final for a class I didn't know I was taking. Those are annoying. However, the zombie/walking dead thing will definitely be in there. Oh, what the heck, I am sure I can throw in a naked scene in there somewhere.
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Oops, I just realized that what I wrote came across way wrong . . . FYI, I'm a heterosexual woman so I promise I didn't mean that I was looking forward to the more, umm, titillating parts--I just thought the whole "weird dream" thing sounded fun, and if you already had one that fit the format and gave you a couple of free words, then why not! I mean, zombies, bananas, and encephalograms all in one story . . . it's not every day those are a natural fit. And hey, if it includes taking a final naked, then whatever!! We all have those anxiety/embarrassment dreams.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

CaySedai, that sounds like fun. D:

larisse, you could go with the dream... It sounds... odd. Very very strange.

[Big Grin] It sounds like your minds are at work. The gears grinding is getting pretty loud, ya know? [Wink]

I've changed the code. iframes doesn't work the way I thought it did (that is, it doesn't give us better search engine rankings or Technorati rankings), so I now have a script (Fahim wrote it - being married to a computer comes in handy sometimes [Big Grin] ) for all the weeks. Please replace the iframes code with this new script.

All details are at http://lmashton.com/2006/09/flash_fiction_friday_iframes_c.html

Sorry for not figuring this out sooner. [Frown]

Uprooted
Member # 8353

This is the message I got when I tried to paste your code into my blog. (Blogger.com, and yes I was doing it in Edit HTML view.):

Your HTML cannot be accepted: Tag is not allowed: [script src="http://www.lmashton.com/fff/fff2.php"]

(And the brackets were actually <> but since Hatrack wouldn't let me post it either, I edited it for this post.)

Admittedly, I don't know anything about this stuff so if it's my mistake please help, thanks!

Uprooted
Member # 8353

So for now my blog doesn't have any Flash Fiction code on it, but it's not because I'm being rebellious!
larisse
Member # 2221

quid... I am having the same problem. I am using Wordpress, and I can't get the code to work. Everytime I place it in html code, it just gets deleted when I update. To me, it looked like a php include or require. And, I did try that, but it still didn't work.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.