FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » PortlandCon *June 27-29* (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: PortlandCon *June 27-29*
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it is only games involving actual writing that are out. That includes one person keeping score by writing or taking a tally, but does not include moving a token around a board to keep track of score (AFAIK.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:
is playing games that keep track of score some other way (moving a token around the edge of the board on a score track) acceptable?

As long as that is how the game is always played (and not a for-Shabbos stopgap), it's fine.

Any game I can't play (or don't care to, like Settlers), I can heckle. [Evil]

I plan to bring Fluxx, Nanofictionary, both versions of Chrononauts, Aquarius, Blink, and (junior) Apples to Apples -- all of which work for Shabbos. I also promised to bring Cranium, and will bring Boggle, which don't (but do for others, or for Saturday night).

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Shan, do you still have those tickets? Mr. Funny and I haven't bought ours yet, so we can buy them from you if you're still looking to get rid of them.

As amazing as the IMAX theater is, we may want to spend our time doing more interactive stuff. I guess we can decide when we get there.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I do have the tickets! One for me, and three up for grabs.
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I'll happily buy the third one then. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Sold!
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
So...

...this may be a stupid question, but I'm wondering...

How do I find/recognize Hatrack folks at Powell's and/or Saturday Market when it comes time to meet up with you all? Do I walk around carrying a big "Hello, my name is Bando Commando" sign? (even in Portland I might get some odd looks)

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You could post a picture on the picture site so they'll recognize you. You could look up their pictures on the same. You could wear a distinctive outfit (for example, a giant bumblebee costume, though I sincerely doubt it would have to be that extreme) and tell everyone ahead of time what you'll be wearing. You could arrange to meet everyone at an appointed time in an appointed place (for instance "In front of the honey seller's booth", or "by the sign for the Sci-Fi section.")

All things I've done when meeting people I have not met in person in a public place. [Smile]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BandoCommando:
So...

How do I find/recognize Hatrack folks at Powell's and/or Saturday Market when it comes time to meet up with you all?

They're the incredibly good-looking ones with choirs of angels strewing rose petals at their feet.

[Smile]

Or in my case, crummy posture, glasses, a beard, and probably a blue beret. (That might not be enough to single someone out in Portland, but it's a good start.)

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Where and/or when are folks meeting at Saturday Market? I missed that before and would like to catch up with anyone that takes that option. I'll probably do games with rivka & co. in the afternoon.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Breaking news!!! Nathan figured out that this was a trip for fun (not business) and so, all of you who remember the child that barely reached my shoulder in Portland last time will get to see him nearly as tall as me . . .

I guess OMSI, Powell's, board games and a swimming pool trumps building tree houses . . . *grin*

Rivka -- how do you want to connect on Friday a.m.? I'll e-mail you this week and we can work out details.

rivka
Member # 4859

Please do. I know I have your email address SOMEWHERE. I figure we'll exchange cell numbers, if that works.

Looking forward to meeting Nathan. [Smile] Even if that means I'll have to buy my OMSI ticket at the museum. [Wink]

rivka
Member # 4859

Cross-fertilization (because there are now threads on three boards discussing this):
quote:
Rivka posted:

Might there be a theater somewhere useful that has a late night showing of WALL-E Saturday night?

quote:
MPH posted:

Ooh! That sounds like fun!

quote:
Then Rivka realized:

Moviefone finds LOTS of 10 PMs (awfully tight), and the only 10:15 is 20 miles away. [Razz]

Oh, well.

quote:
But then Jennie posted:

What if most of the group went early to a 10:00 showing and saved seats? Someone(s) with a car could stay with rivka at the hotel and leave as soon as they can. They'd miss previews (which, admittedly, is pretty tragic), but they'd probably make it for the movie.

*shrug*

Paul and I would volunteer to stay with rivka. It will be hard enough as it is keeping James quiet in the theater (but worth trying for Wall-E [Smile] ...hopefully he would sleep through the whole thing if it was that late). Minimizing the time we had to be there would be great.

quote:
And Rivka responded:

We'd probably miss more than just the previews. But I'm game if you are. [Smile]

(And actually, depending on the parking situation and the length of the previews, we actually might not.)
rivka
Member # 4859

It might be a good thing for us to all exchange cell numbers, neh?

So, anyone who doesn't mind giving out their cell number to me and other weird internet people, please send an email with "PortlandCon" in the subject. Screenname, real name (as much or as little as you like -- just first name is fine), cell number. I'll stick 'em all in Excel and email out a list to everyone who emailed me. Sound good?

Email: rivkag AT gmail

rivka
Member # 4859

*bump*
Shan
Member # 4550

Sorry. 13 hour work day yesterday . . . I-emailed you, dear -- I tried both .net and .com, cause I'm not sure of the ending of the email.

Your UCLA alumni address is still listed in the specs here, too, did you know?

*off to work*

rivka
Member # 4859

Oops. .com works. [Smile]

The alum address is a forwarder. It goes there too.

Also, I've done the 13-hour work day before (and probably will again on Monday). Bleh!

BandoCommando
Member # 7746

Email sent!
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Genuine
Member # 11446

- posted      Profile for The Genuine           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BandoCommando:
So...

How do I find/recognize Hatrack folks at Powell's and/or Saturday Market when it comes time to meet up with you all? Do I walk around carrying a big "Hello, my name is Bando Commando" sign? (even in Portland I might get some odd looks)

I'll likely be wearing this.
Posts: 158 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to try to come on Friday, sans children, with Porter. What time should we show up at the OMSI? I will need to get home before it gets too late. I hate to miss out on games, though. [Frown] Has a rough schedule been drawn up yet?
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
So, to review, the currently suggested schedule is as follows?

Friday:
8-ish: Kosher food expedition. Shan & Rivka and any hangers-on.
10 (?) -ish: OMSI.
3-ish: Powell's
7-ish: Rivka back at hotel (I'll need some time to finish getting ready for Shabbos, which starts at about 8:45)
Friday night: Board games and chatting. Alternatively, I know some people wanted to do nightlife things.

Saturday: Saturday Market w/ lunch for all non-Shabbos observers; board games for everyone.
Saturday night: Bars and such for Jesse & co.; board games or ? for the rest of us.

Sunday:
10? 11? Brunch here
(Hotel check-out)
1-ish: Japanese Gardens
4-ish: Other gardens
6-ish: Rivka to airport (that should be enough time, neh? At least, if I get a ride with someone rather than depending on the hotel shuttle? My flight is at 8)

The only thing missing from the schedule is TJ's. [Big Grin]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

Porter, when will you be rejoining the group after church?
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so, it seems that my rooming situation is a bit up-in-the-air right now. If I'm correct, I'm sharing a room with Porter Friday night, but he's elsewhere for Saturday night? This leaves me without someone to share a room the second night. Shigosei suggested that it might be possible to room with Shan (crash on the floor with a sleeping bag or somesuch). Anyone know of any other possibilities that involve me staying at/near the hotel? I'd like to avoid absorbing the full cost of a night, if possible.

Shan, is that an option that you might consider? (Assuming that you're staying at the same hotel...)

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

It's looking like a prior commitment may keep me away Friday (sorry!) but I'm going to try to play some games with people on Saturday.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Emails have been sent. Yelp if you should have gotten one and didn't!
Shan
Member # 4550

How about just a whimper for if'n the attachment won't open? *grin*
rivka
Member # 4859

Silly file. I replied.
Shan
Member # 4550

Thank you. *meekly* It opened the second time around -- but I can't find the print button on this set-up. I am soooo old . . . I swear! I'll just write 'em down on scrap paper. *grin*

Ooohh -- can I add no texting to mine, too, please. Thanks! [Smile]

A-ha! I found the print button.

*grumble*

I like the old version better . . .

rivka
Member # 4859

Ok, no need to resend the spreadsheet, check.

Hopefully the texters will refrain from texting the rest of us. As I pointed out on sake, some of us get charged $.10-.20 per text.

Shan
Member # 4550

Cool. Thanks, rivka! Texting does cost a pretty penny . . . and my thumbs are non-functional in the txt world.

RE: Shigosei and Mr. Funny -- would you both like to room with Nathan and me Saturday? I can upgrade the room, I'm sure.

rivka
Member # 4859

I am all checked in. Shan & Porter (and anyone else who will be staying at the hotel), please call me if you're still up. They told me the best way to try to get y'all rooms near mine is if I give you my room number and you call and request nearby rooms.
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be wearing a +20 shirt of smiting and/or a USC sweatshirt (depending on weather - though, given the heat forecast, probably just the shirt of smiting).

I'll be with Shigosei, who has very long hair.

Rivka - I'll check and see if Shigosei is still awake, as she's the one who booked the room that Porter and I are sharing tomorrow night.

[edit: never mind, she says that Porter's working on it]

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Yeah, I spoke with him earlier. [Smile]
Shigosei
Member # 3831

And of course, I have a room close to yours. So to speak.
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

I don't know if anyone at PortlandCon is still checking the forum, but I'm planning on being at Saturday Market around 11am. I'll be wearing a green shirt that says "Oregon Marching Band" in yellow with a Nike swoosh on the front.

I will also have my phone on me.

I spoke with The Genuine, and I think he'll be there around the same time.

The Genuine
Member # 11446

Yep, seems like 11 at the Saturday Market is kinda the plan.
Posts: 158 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Brunch @ 11
rivka
Member # 4859

At PDX, and my flight was delayed 50 minutes. [Razz] Hurray for free wifi, and free outlets, and comfy chairs to take advantage of both! [Smile]

If yesterday was the Day of Too Many Freakin' People, today was the Day of Small, Quiet Groups. Brunch with Mr. Funny and Shigosei (which was quite nice), and the Japanese Gardens with Jennie and Paul (with brief appearances by Mr. Funny, Shigosei, mph, Bando & spouse). The gardens are really lovely. I think it was Narnia who suggested them? Great idea!

Then Jennie and Paul took me to their place for my very first time playing with a Wii, and then to the airport.

Thanks to all of you (except Zotto! who has now proven that he hates me [Cry] ). I had a great weekend! [Big Grin]

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Bando, it was so much fun getting to see you and your wife! I didn't realize how much I had missed talking to band geeks.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Nathan wanted me to say how much fun he had, and he wants to do it again! He loved hanging out and playing games with everyone.

It was great to see folks and chat and munch on snacks and visit the cool Portland sites -- some of them with very scenic routes to and from, indeed! [Big Grin]

Sorry we missed brunch, rivka -- an old college friend and his family called to invite Nathan and me over for a late breakfast of homemade waffles and fresh strawberries, and we just couldn't pass that up!

Anyway -- it was a relaxing and fun weekend -- and very needed. I'm glad I got to spend it with lots of fun folk, and to spend some quality time with my son. It's nice to know that I haven't been relegated to the land of uncool parents entirely. [Wink]

Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey now! There was no hating of the rivka happening! There was a lot of oversleeping, not-having-anyone's-number-besides-Cecily-who-I-tried-but-she-didn't-pick-up -ing, and wandering-around-blindly-in-the-Rose-Gardens-which-is-what-I-assumed-was-meant-on-the-itinerary-but-maybe-it-actually-meant-different-gardens-somewhere-faraway -ing. I'm sorry I missed you, rivka! Mutual [Cry] ing will be heard across the land.

My consolation is that meeting the people I did get to meet was very fun, as was seeing a few of the oldbies again. [Smile]

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

It was very good getting to meet all of you. Hatrackers are indeed brilliant and fantastically good looking.

(Well, okay, perhaps I exaggerate the latter. Slightly.)

BandoCommando
Member # 7746

I had a great time! Thanks for getting this all started Rivka! It was awesome to spend some time IRL with all of these faceless names I see on Hatrack every time I log on.
rivka
Member # 4859

Zotto!, the requirements for your penance have been spelled out on sake. Because I saw your post there first.

I enjoyed meeting and spending time with the rest of y'all. [Smile] And Sterling and Bando, as an extra bonus, you are now both Real™!

Sterling
Member # 8096

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Zotto!, the requirements for your penance have been spelled out on sake. Because I saw your post there first.

I enjoyed meeting and spending time with the rest of y'all. [Smile] And Sterling and Bando, as an extra bonus, you are now both Real™!

Thank heaven! Does that mean I can finally get rid of that stupid nagging cricket?
rivka
Member # 4859

Well, sure. Stick him in a cage -- I bet he'd make a great pet for your daughter.
The Genuine
Member # 11446

Who wants to meet up at the Goodfoot tonight?
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.